Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
"More affordable for the tracks" was the comment they made. The big thing they have said so far is that they want to make the F1 coming onto town a huge event, with shows and support races and so on. Right now the tracks are paying through the nose for very little content so you get a limited audience. I would imagine they want to make it into a touring festival with the F1 as the headline act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

learnincurve posted:

"More affordable for the tracks" was the comment they made. The big thing they have said so far is that they want to make the F1 coming onto town a huge event, with shows and support races and so on. Right now the tracks are paying through the nose for very little content so you get a limited audience. I would imagine they want to make it into a touring festival with the F1 as the headline act.

A touring festival, you say... with supporting acts...

It's too bad none of the drivers is also an aspiring pop star...

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Pirate Radar posted:

A touring festival, you say... with supporting acts...

It's too bad none of the drivers is also an aspiring pop star...

"Hey, hey guys... I've got a super fun idea..."

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

enri posted:

"Hey, hey guys... I've got a super fun idea..."

"...man"

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

td4guy posted:

Speaking of this...since Bernie's gone now, has there been any talk about, like, NOT forcing ridiculous hosting fees on the track venues?

I think Silverstone would appear to be the key to that particular situation. Last I remember reading MSV got cold feet over buying the circuit, so if Silverstone suddenly decides that they will be hosting the British Grand Prix post 2019, one could reasonably assume that some financial arrangement had been reached with Liberty.

More saliently, if Liberty are serious about 25 event calendars, it's not in their interest to continue loving circuits with the financials. Whether that's keeping hosting fees the same and providing better value in other ways or straight up reducing fees I doubt will ever be publicly divulged. Bernie ran a circus for making it rain in his bank vault, Liberty appear to be running a business.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
25 races? I wont feel so bad i guess about holding races in Baku and DirkaDirkastan if we can have a french GP and imola back. Still holding out for USGP west at Long Beach. Im not sure about this "make everything a street race" trend.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

MattD1zzl3 posted:

25 races? I wont feel so bad i guess about holding races in Baku and DirkaDirkastan if we can have a french GP and imola back. Still holding out for USGP west at Long Beach. Im not sure about this "make everything a street race" trend.

Agree, street races tend to suck when you look at some of the brilliant purpose built circuits around the world. A return for F1 to Watkins Glen (unlikely as it is) would get me hard as gently caress.

Other dream venues that will likely never happen: Rouen, Old Hockenheim, Mount Panorama, Le Mans, Brands Hatch, Jerez, Kyalami, Zandvoort and Buenos Aires.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

julian assflange posted:

I'd watch cars drive around a racetrack if I were you

I recommend ignoring the nerdy cars and loving off to enjoy Barcelona instead, which a cool spot

enri
Dec 16, 2003

nailed it, how did I forget "man"?!

Is it just me or do the words "super" and "fun" piss anyone else off? As if "fun" in itself isn't all that great, it needs to be super fun... "naww guys I'm not coming to the pub tonight, it'll be fun but not super fun so I'll give it a miss, you enjoy your default and standard fun"

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

poty posted:

I recommend ignoring the nerdy cars and loving off to enjoy Barcelona instead, which a cool spot

Bit difficult when his job will require him to be at the circuit

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

enri posted:

nailed it, how did I forget "man"?!

Is it just me or do the words "super" and "fun" piss anyone else off? As if "fun" in itself isn't all that great, it needs to be super fun... "naww guys I'm not coming to the pub tonight, it'll be fun but not super fun so I'll give it a miss, you enjoy your default and standard fun"

Yes because it is a sequence of words used exclusively by manchildren and overly saccharine fuckbags.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Mount panorama is loving garbage stop jerking off over it

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Dubs posted:

:fap:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

julian assflange posted:

Bit difficult when his job will require him to be at the circuit

Doesn't sound like a job worth keeping, the only thing more boring than watching F1 is watching F1 live at the circuit

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Theophany posted:

Agree, street races tend to suck when you look at some of the brilliant purpose built circuits around the world. A return for F1 to Watkins Glen (unlikely as it is) would get me hard as gently caress.

Other dream venues that will likely never happen: Rouen, Old Hockenheim, Mount Panorama, Le Mans, Brands Hatch, Jerez, Kyalami, Zandvoort and Buenos Aires.

When F1 and the ACO get along enough to have that, we'd be in the best timeline.

We're not.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Silverstone is now in trouble because of the bikes. http://circuitofwales.com is a stadium which is being built and half funded by the welsh government entirely around bikes. They now have the MotoGP contract for when it's completed. Bernie repeatedly screwing them won't have helped, but Silverstone has always been expensive for track days compared with all the other, better, tracks surrounding it and has rather relied on it's fame. I don't think anyone in Britain really cares much for Silverstone, we care about there being a British GP. If Brands Hatch or Donnington managed to get approved for the F1 no one would care much about silverstone tbh.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

Silverstone is now in trouble because of the bikes. http://circuitofwales.com is a stadium which is being built and half funded by the welsh government entirely around bikes. They now have the MotoGP contract for when it's completed. Bernie repeatedly screwing them won't have helped, but Silverstone has always been expensive for track days compared with all the other, better, tracks surrounding it and has rather relied on it's fame. I don't think anyone in Britain really cares much for Silverstone, we care about there being a British GP. If Brands Hatch or Donnington managed to get approved for the F1 no one would care much about silverstone tbh.

I'd miss it. I'd definitely be less annoyed about losing Silverstone if it went to Brands, but that's just never going to happen.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

F1 returning to Watkins Glen is literally the worst thing that could ever happen to Watkins Glen.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why can't they do F1 at Laguna Seca?

Honestly though the CoA is a pretty good track.

I suppose if F1 does have another race in America a road race would be sweet.

Wait, Isn't Pike's Peak tarmac now?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Theophany posted:

Yes because it is a sequence of words used exclusively by manchildren and overly saccharine fuckbags.

You and me are going to get on just fine

learnincurve posted:

Wasn't there some issue with the circuit of wales and trying to find investors just in the past week or two? Seem to remember them mentioning it on the morning news, something about the government going "Yep we'll give you half the cash, but you need to show us the money" - fake edit: here it is -> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-38751116

Admittedly I haven't bothered reading any more about the story past that, so it could be all well and good by now and I'm sitting here none the wiser :v:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

JFairfax posted:

Honestly though the CoA is a pretty good track.

I suppose if F1 does have another race in America a road race would be sweet.

Wait, Isn't Pike's Peak tarmac now?

Laguna Seca's issue is that it is either its length or the width of the track, I don't remember which.

Honestly I think F1 expanding into the US is kinda fruitless, there just isn't enough tracks to F1 standards, you could add Watkins Glen but beyond that you're pretty much limited to street circuits.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

JFairfax posted:

Devils advocating:
They'd be doing like 58 second laps, which causes all kinds of issues for traffic and clearing crashes.

Mark Gene, of all people, holds the lap record at 1:02

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Laguna Seca's issue is that it is either its length or the width of the track, I don't remember which.

I think it's both, to be honest. It's a super narrow track and F1 lap times would be under a minute.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Halo14 posted:

Perv on Nando.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Road America would literally be perfect for a modern F1 car; good amount of straight bits, some solid turns, it's Cool And Good. Watching noobs stuff it at The Kink would be great.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GramCracker posted:

Road America would literally be perfect for a modern F1 car; good amount of straight bits, some solid turns, it's Cool And Good. Watching noobs stuff it at The Kink would be great.

Also natural hills unlike CotA. And turn 5 is a bitch.

they'd probably use the gray corner at 11 in reality because reasons :smith:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Enri - The latest is that the welsh government agreed to pay for half of the stadium if they could find investors for the other half. Last rumour on the figures were that it would cost £240 million and everything was all in motion. Given that it's set to be the big show track for MotoGP and they are looking at robbing the rallycross and so on from Brands Hatch it won't be a problem. Given the way things go in the UK at the moment it's probably more of a case of the Russians or Chinese wanting to know how much the taxpayers will cover before signing forms. Wales is irritatingly good at building cool new stuff, (relatively) quickly and without fuss.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
FORMULA 1 DRIVER SALARIES FOR 2017 SEASON

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/594222/Formula_1_driver_salaries_for_2017/

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wow, I didn't know McClaren paid Alonso more than Vettel.

Guess that makes him the bigger fraud then because he definitely hasn't returned that investment.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh god, I wonder what it's like to earn $39,700,000 less than your team mate...

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

iospace posted:

Wow, I didn't know McClaren paid Alonso more than Vettel.

Guess that makes him the bigger fraud then because he definitely hasn't returned that investment.

Yeah a poo poo car means his not earning is wage. :jerkbag:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Probably a lot like being brand new to something and working alongside someone who is the best at it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
He scored the same points as Palmer in 20 less races in 2017 and is being paid $700,000 less.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

learnincurve posted:

No way that he's actually making $40m though. I bet his bonuses are dumb like "you must win, be on the podium, finish in the top 5 for x amount of races, finish top 5 in the championship, etc.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The difference between Seb and Kimi though

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dubs posted:

GEEEEET

hosed

It's the best touring car circuit in the world, but even I know that's it's inappropriate for F1.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The difference between Seb and Kimi though

Kimi just wants to drive fast cars. He probably doesn't care that much

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

keevo posted:

No way that he's actually making $40m though. I bet his bonuses are dumb like "you must win, be on the podium, finish in the top 5 for x amount of races, finish top 5 in the championship, etc.

I wish we got more details about bonuses/requirements so we could do an end-of-year roundup of money:points. Who's the most cost-effective driver on the grid? Who's the least?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Bottas or possibly Grosjean for most, probably Alonso for least if he got the full 40 last year, almost certainly because the McHonda wasn't up to the job.

Alternatively; Vandoorne for most because I doubt he got much for his pay last year and still got points. I'm just guessing though because I'm phone posting and can't go and math out average driver wage cost per point scored right now.

Where's our spreadsheet guy?

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Feb 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Those are 2017 wages, so the answer is undefined as there are 0 points to divide by

• Locked thread