Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I wonder if the Ganges counts as holy ground, or most of the Himalayas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Many people worship earth, no fighting on earth.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

My body is a temple. You can't fight me.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Tom Cruise and Keeanu Reeves can convincingly play immortals.
Too bad the only holy ground would be:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

fatherboxx posted:

What are your CRIMES McCleod

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Y'all talking bout Highlander?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvS1BdiVC7o

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

FreudianSlippers posted:

I mean they could probably use any sort of bladed weapon or tool but swords are of course culturally linked to honor and heroism and dueling and what not, if I remember correctly the price of a decent sword for most of the Medieval period was about the same as for a car today and even after they got cheaper there were still laws in many countries forbidding commoners from carrying swords since a sword was a sign of nobility.

A chainsaw battle would be neat.

Watch Tiger on Beat. The trailer only has a few seconds of it but the fight is huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsdOp4vUHRM&t=82s

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

I think there is already a lot of :goonsay: about how Connor's sword was made well before swords like that were made, but what I want to know is: When and how did Kurgan get his sword? I'm assuming he's a fair bit older than Connor, and I imagine the place he comes from doesn't exactly have the most refined weapons manufacturers. Kurgan probably decapitated his first dude with a stone ax.

I'm also surious about this. People underestimate how hard it was to make a sword that lasted. A common kitchen knife would be a technological marvel in good chunks of human history. There's a Roman account of battle with some tribe or another where the barbarians crash into the roman lines, hit them with their heavy swords, then have to stop and straghten the blades, which had curled up on impact, a quirk of whatever metallurgy they were using at the time.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Watch Tiger on Beat. The trailer only has a few seconds of it but the fight is huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsdOp4vUHRM&t=82s

Tiger on the Beat is awesome, and I was really pleased to discover it actually exists and I didn't just dream it being on television years ago.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ChickenMedium posted:

*The Highlander draws his sword to face down Kurrgan for the final time*
FLASH! AHHHH-AHHHHHHH!

*The Kurgan kicks in the door of a nightclub and begins slaughtering his way towards an immortal*

BIIII CYCLE

BIIIII CYCLE

BIIII CYCLE

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Saw a trailer for the Taken TV series (which is a thing) and they somehow had a slow cover of REM's "The One I Love"

So disappointed to see that the trailer that played before John Wick 2 for GitS still was using the Depeche Mode slowdown version of Enjoy the Silence.

What a lovely trailer. It's amazing how much better it is with the latter substituion in the music (to the anime soundtrack).

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

I have something to say. It's better to squirrel the tech than to enturbulate away. YEAW. HAWW!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Do all immortals fight with a blade or can you do more varied things with them? It's 2016 I want to see some diversity

The fighting ends up being close up duels because they want to decapitate each other and also because they can sense each other's presence from quite a distance, so one would already be on the look out way ahead of time. But there's also like some others said the dueling honor kind of thing they emphasize in the original movie and them all coming from times when having a well made sword was an automatic sign that you were either nobility or a mega badass or both.

However there was a reboot script from several years ago (there was this failed attempt at a Highlander resurgence there was a new video game under development that got canned everything) where in McLeod employs a sniper rifle to soften up particularly powerful ones before closing in for the kill. But all the immortals have very heightened senses, so it'd be like, you'd have to blast someone from pretty far away, by the time you close in they're already up and healing. I'm not too familiar with the TV show but I'm sure that had a bunch of different weapons in it, I mean anything that could decapitate someone is fair game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJd1ZH1CwFQ

Grendels Dad posted:

I think there is already a lot of :goonsay: about how Connor's sword was made well before swords like that were made, but what I want to know is: When and how did Kurgan get his sword? I'm assuming he's a fair bit older than Connor, and I imagine the place he comes from doesn't exactly have the most refined weapons manufacturers. Kurgan probably decapitated his first dude with a stone ax.

I always took the opposite, that the Kurgan was on the cutting ( :haw: ) edge because he has that like cool collapsible one when we see him in the present day, like whatever the most modern way of creating that type of sword he likes is that's what he wants to roll with.

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

The best Highlander movie is Highlander: The Search for Vengeance. It's set in the future with less than 10 Immortals left so they're all ridiculously powerful, and the first fight is against a huge guy with an overpowered chainsaw.

Also it's The Source ( :haw: ) of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFgdte8JKI0

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 13, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was drinking with friends once and talking about how awesome and how stupid Highlander is at the same time. We tried to recreate the situation where the guy from Geneva plays a Scotsman who thinks the guy from Scotland is Spanish but is actually Egyptian.

It's hard to wrap your brain around but highlights how weird this situation is. Like Graham Greene is playing a French aristocrat who is actually Zulu and Toshiro Mifune is playing a Native American explaining what Maize is.

Cheech Marin is a German officer explaining blood sausage to Christoph Waltz, who is playing a Chinese Railroad worker that's actually a South Islander. Und was ist blutwurst? I find dat to be yucky. We didn't have such foods from home. China? NO Papua, New Guinea of course.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

For a similar experience watch the 1992 film Shadow of the Wolf where a visibly embarrassed Toshiro Mifune plays an Inuit alongside Jennifer Tilly and Lou Diamond Philips and the film ends with Mifune jumping out of plane, CGI morphing into an hawk and flying away. He also played a half-Mexican half-Indigenous character in An Important Man in the early 60s.

But even in the Highlander series itself LMAO Connor must gather all of his strength and skill to stop KANE. A feudal Japanese warlord played by Mario van Peebles.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 13, 2017

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I also kind of want to see a Highlander movie where one Immortal shoots his opponent a whole bunch, and he's like "ha ha, are you some kind of idiot, we can only be killed by getting decapitated", and then the first Immortal walks up and decapitates him because he was busy healing and couldn't move to get away

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

21 Muns posted:

I also kind of want to see a Highlander movie where one Immortal shoots his opponent a whole bunch, and he's like "ha ha, are you some kind of idiot, we can only be killed by getting decapitated", and then the first Immortal walks up and decapitates him because he was busy healing and couldn't move to get away

It's been a long time, so I may have hallucinated this, but in the show wasn't there a retarded highlander who laid on railroad tracks so that a train decapitated him?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

It's been a long time, so I may have hallucinated this, but in the show wasn't there a retarded highlander who laid on railroad tracks so that a train decapitated him?

Yeah... It was a Of Mice and Men situation.

The show was pretty good for explorijg a lot of practical aspects of immortality, as well as those crazy "what if" Highlander rules.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I remember liking the Animated series because at least some of that was going around collecting Immortal Knowledge that could be used against the bad warlord guy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The series had an immortal who was trapped on a deserted not particularly bountiful island for a long time and he would periodically painfully starve to death over time, die and regenerate, then wake up fine and starve to death again. :owned:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

The series had an immortal who was trapped on a deserted not particularly bountiful island for a long time and he would periodically painfully starve to death over time, die and regenerate, then wake up fine and starve to death again. :owned:

At that point, wouldn't you just find a way to off yourself every time you start to get peckish?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Or just start swimming. Sure you'd drown at least a couple dozen times but eventually you'd wash up somewhere closer to civilization and come back to life. You'd just have to hope a shark doesn't eat your head while you're being whisked around the oceans for months by the currents.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

FreudianSlippers posted:

Or just start swimming. Sure you'd drown at least a couple dozen times but eventually you'd wash up somewhere closer to civilization and come back to life. You'd just have to hope a shark doesn't eat your head while you're being whisked around the oceans for months by the currents.

I want a Highlander remake where some of the Immortals are animals

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

I want a Highlander remake where some of the Immortals are animals

Immortal starfish.

You can't behead something if it doesn't have a head.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
In fact actually both parts of the starfish grow back so pretty soon you're covered in the drat things

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

21 Muns posted:

In fact actually both parts of the starfish grow back so pretty soon you're covered in the drat things

That's when you cover your body with them and become immortal yourself like Leto II.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

You wouldn't even have to swim, after a while the current would take you and you'd just wake up somewhere else.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phylodox posted:

At that point, wouldn't you just find a way to off yourself every time you start to get peckish?

In the fantasy novel The Broken Kingdoms one of the characters is a god who was being punished by being made mortal and if he was killed he would be fine at the dawn of the next day. Because this god was kind of a dick and refused to learn his lesson, if he ever got hungry or slightly sick or even just tired he would kill himself just to resurrect back to normal.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Waking up inside a shark would be so annoying

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

In the fantasy novel The Broken Kingdoms one of the characters is a god who was being punished by being made mortal and if he was killed he would be fine at the dawn of the next day. Because this god was kind of a dick and refused to learn his lesson, if he ever got hungry or slightly sick or even just tired he would kill himself just to resurrect back to normal.

Steven Erikson had something similar with Kallor, who's cursed to be immortal without ever ascending to godhood.

I don't really have a point, I just really liked the character.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kiimo posted:

Unless you're into vore. :dance:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The trick is to run deeper inside until you're all pooped out.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Snowman_McK posted:

Steven Erikson had something similar with Kallor, who's cursed to be immortal without ever ascending to godhood.

I don't really have a point, I just really liked the character.
This whole discussion reminds me of Oglaf. But most things do. I think I have a problem.

(Note that the character in question eventually ends up as a disembodied head and then... hasn't been seen since so I dunno. Presumably still immortal and hanging out with the Luck Monks.)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just saw John Wick 2. I liked it better than the first. It's so completely insane and in the best possible way. I've seen a few reviewers mention that it feels like it's adapting some comic or novel given the heavy lore in it, but the movie builds it up in a way it never feels clunky, no matter how convoluted or out there it is. The international society of assassins bind themselves to each other with Pirates of the Caribbean medallions signed with their blood? The assassins put in their jobs by calling into a central headquarters that's a combination of Brazil and 1950s switchboard operators run by hipster secretaries in pink shirts? The mafia celebrates the coronation of a new leader by having a huge synthpop concert in a Roman temple? It all makes complete sense in the world of the movie.

The ending fight is in an amazing setpiece, too. Peter Serafinowicz also had a great cameo as a Q-type role. I even liked Ruby Rose in it.

Guy Mann posted:

Flying guillotine with backup turkey decapitator arrow for optimized head-removing combat potential.

I remember the TV show had a secret society that would go around and decapitate immortals with a guillotine to make sure no other immortals would get their power through the Quickening.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

NorgLyle posted:

This whole discussion reminds me of Oglaf. But most things do. I think I have a problem.

(Note that the character in question eventually ends up as a disembodied head and then... hasn't been seen since so I dunno. Presumably still immortal and hanging out with the Luck Monks.)

Oglaf is the best and has ruined most fantasy for me. Its so clever and knows the fantasy tropes so well. Kronar might be my favourite character in anything.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

kiimo posted:

Captain Scarlet gets eaten by a shark in the opening credits of that show, which I always wondered about. When Mysterons replace a dead person the replacement appears near the body, but I can't remember if Captain Scarlet's body heals or whether a new one appears when he dies, I think it was a bit inconsistent.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Red Bones posted:

Captain Scarlet gets eaten by a shark in the opening credits of that show, which I always wondered about. When Mysterons replace a dead person the replacement appears near the body, but I can't remember if Captain Scarlet's body heals or whether a new one appears when he dies, I think it was a bit inconsistent.

Ah, Captain Scarlet, really just an excuse that have movie level miniature explosions every week.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Bill Murray was almost in the Toni Erdmann remake instead of Jack Nicholson, but he mislaid the dvd Wiig wanted him to watch of it until it was too late

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/feb/14/bill-murray-toni-erdmann-remake-jack-nicholson-kristen-wiig

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tars Tarkas posted:

Bill Murray was almost in the Toni Erdmann remake instead of Jack Nicholson, but he mislaid the dvd Wiig wanted him to watch of it until it was too late

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/feb/14/bill-murray-toni-erdmann-remake-jack-nicholson-kristen-wiig
Would Murray have been a better fit?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Red Bones posted:

IIRC Mysteron clones just heal rapidly, with the only thing that can actually damage their bodies being electricity. Something that always bugged me about Captain Scarlet is that the show never addressed the fact that the main character isn't ACTUALLY Captain Scarlet, he dies pretty quickly in the first episode, but instead a duplicate of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It was established in Highlander that the Immortals are born "Immortal", but their immortality only kicks in when they first die. So the show introduced a ten year old immortal (who had been killed when he was a slave in ancient Rome), and one spin off media introduced an Immortal who was housed on holy ground, since he had lived a full life and died at the age of 102. He existed in a perpetual coma.

• Locked thread