Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Why would you think this is what happens? Easier, I think, to just slap a filter over people's eyes.
Because it's funnier. (And if the B/W filter was just over people's eyes, we the audience should still have seen them in colour. Unless the computer thought of that and put a filter over the TV camera too. But then the Doctor wouldn't have been in colour when he first came in, and aaabueblnwgffgwjwk)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
What camera? Star Trek is real, friend.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I really liked how Beyond handled the universal translator. They even managed to tie into the plot why Jayla and the bad guy were speaking literally English, which was a nice touch.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Subyng posted:

I really liked how Beyond handled the universal translator. They even managed to tie into the plot why Jayla and the bad guy were speaking literally English, which was a nice touch.

Please explain

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Payndz posted:

Because it's funnier. (And if the B/W filter was just over people's eyes, we the audience should still have seen them in colour. Unless the computer thought of that and put a filter over the TV camera too. But then the Doctor wouldn't have been in colour when he first came in, and aaabueblnwgffgwjwk)

The holodeck probably has some device that can literally desaturate the light inside it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think if you've figured out how to make tangible energy you can probably do whatever you want with it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Scudworth posted:

Please explain

In Beyond the universal translator had a delay and the alien language was still audible so when they switched to English it was obvious.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Scudworth posted:

Please explain
Jayla speaks English because she lives in an old starfleet wreck and taught herself using the computer and the crew's music. The villain knows English because he used to be human.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

The holodeck probably has some device that can literally desaturate the light inside it.

I think we all can agree that light filters are a bridge too far for even a magic room.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Payndz posted:

Yeah, there's no camera or audience on the holodeck. You might as well ask, "how come I can see Hamlet and Ophelia from all the way over here, shouldn't there be a fourth wall in the way?" Congratulations, you have just discovered the distinction between objective and subjective storytelling. The characters are in black and white because that's what the characters see. It's the same reason we can get a cool 'the ship is shrinking!" or "you're back in the Academy now, Picard!" episode instead of a static shot of the character being in a coma for forty minutes.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Jayla speaks English because she lives in an old starfleet wreck and taught herself using the computer and the crew's music. The villain knows English because he used to be human.

Thanks for killing the tiny bit of curiosity I had about seeing STB. If I wanted to watch Star Trek garbo I'd just watch Voyager.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's still a good movie.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cojawfee posted:

It's still a good movie.

Well it's the best of the nu-trek movies, that's for sure.
It's way better than any TNG movie.
It's better than some of the classic trek movies.
It's not as good as many of the better TNG episodes.
It's not as good as most of the "middling" episodes of DS9.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 15, 2017

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

mycomancy posted:

Thanks for killing the tiny bit of curiosity I had about seeing STB. If I wanted to watch Star Trek garbo I'd just watch Voyager.

Hmm... if that's your threshold, then yeah, there might be a lot of things you won't like about Beyond.

I really like Beyond

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

Much like the doors of the ship, the translator has an absurdly advanced AI. Not only does it have effectively instantaneous translation of thousands of different languages and dialects but it can anticipate when the speaker wants a certain word to be untranslated.

Also it's a perfect lifeform detector and can unerringly locate and translate to any eavesdropper within earshot, even if the speaker doesn't know they are there.

Eh I guess that doesn't annoy me so much. What does annoy me is the writers forgetting about it completely. The translator is so advanced that you can show up on the other side of the galaxy and immediately talk to people you've never heard of like it ain't a thing (unless you're some wandering polyandrous space farmers from the Gamma Quadrant, then the translator needs a few hours to figure out your babble, but still it works). Yet the Enterprise goes to a colony of their closest number 1 ally that they've known for hundreds of years and Crusher has to keep talking over the Klingon play to ask Worf what everyone is saying.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I'd put Beyond and First Contact on the same level, personally. They both have Problems that only dumb nerds really care about, but are otherwise fun, good looking, and well acted with decently paced scripts and plenty of "no really, this is still Star Trek, you guys" moments. I watched Beyond in a theater with bad lighting, so the action scenes were fairly incomprehensible (and were probably a little too long in any case), but I still really enjoyed it. Lots of fun character moments and world building and the people who hate it because it has a couple little plot holes or isn't "real" Trek are mostly Wrong Bad Fun assholes.

It even (almost) let me get over my distaste for Nu-Spock and Uhura, who I'll still contend are badly miscast/handled, but at least weren't radiating soap opera angst or Strong Female Character tedium rays the whole time.

VitalSigns posted:

Also it's a perfect lifeform detector and can unerringly locate and translate to any eavesdropper within earshot, even if the speaker doesn't know they are there.

Eh I guess that doesn't annoy me so much. What does annoy me is the writers forgetting about it completely. The translator is so advanced that you can show up on the other side of the galaxy and immediately talk to people you've never heard of like it ain't a thing (unless you're some wandering polyandrous space farmers from the Gamma Quadrant, then the translator needs a few hours to figure out your babble, but still it works). Yet the Enterprise goes to a colony of their closest number 1 ally that they've known for hundreds of years and Crusher has to keep talking over the Klingon play to ask Worf what everyone is saying.

I almost wish the Universal Translator didn't exist at all, because everyone speaking English is just a storytelling conceit that would be better off not being acknowledged, except that some nerds need that little handwave to make it more "real." It's one of those things that it's usually best left explained (like Klingon makeup changes), because any attempt to pin things down just highlights the unreality of the whole experience.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It would be Klingon as gently caress to block universal translators during their plays.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

mycomancy posted:

What a strange and arbitrary threshold.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Duckbag posted:

I almost wish the Universal Translator didn't exist at all, because everyone speaking English is just a storytelling conceit that would be better off not being acknowledged, except that some nerds need that little handwave to make it more "real." It's one of those things that it's usually best left explained (like Klingon makeup changes), because any attempt to pin things down just highlights the unreality of the whole experience.

A better way to handle it is just to say that everyone can speak a common intergalactic language. bam, all problems solved.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
An alien teaching herself English? Not in my Trek. Computer, replicate me a table so I may flip it in disgust!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Duckbag posted:

I watched Beyond in a theater with bad lighting, so the action scenes were fairly incomprehensible

Beyond is the movie that finally turned me off of 3D for good, I think. At least until the theaters learn that when the glasses block half the light, you need to crank up the drat brightness, at least in the dim scenes.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Subyng posted:

A better way to handle it is just to say that everyone can speak a common intergalactic language. bam, all problems solved.

Star Wars did that. Everyone magically understood English even if they spoke Jabba language or Elvish.

Powered Descent posted:

Beyond is the movie that finally turned me off of 3D for good, I think. At least until the theaters learn that when the glasses block half the light, you need to crank up the drat brightness, at least in the dim scenes.

That really sucks. I saw it in 3D and it was pretty sweet, not sweet enough to actually recommend it in 3D but still cool with the saucer flip and swarm scenes.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I saw Beyond in 3D AVX D-Box, 3D Imax, and regular 3D. The regular showing was so dark and terrible I had to ask for my money back. I knew exactly what was supposed to be happening and I still couldn't make out anything in scenes that weren't in bright daylight.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Subyng posted:

What a strange and arbitrary threshold.

Wow, I didn't realize making a flippant comment about The Trek and The Furious 3: Romulan Drift would bring out goons with pitchforks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Theaters cut costs by running their projectors dimmer to make the bulbs last longer. They also usually don't reconfigure properly when they put on a 3d showing.

Theaters are terrible most of the time.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MrJacobs posted:

Star Wars did that. Everyone magically understood English even if they spoke Jabba language or Elvish.

Star Wars has an unspecified amount of time prior to the events of the movies (about 25,000 years according to EU works but lol those aren't canon anymore) of the galaxy being more-or-less united under one government. In Star Trek, on the other hand, most of the major powers have only been warp-capable for a couple hundred years. So the political conditions in Star Wars are a lot more favorable to the development of a common language than those in Star Trek.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

It would be Klingon as gently caress to block universal translators during their plays.

But not, apparently, during their elite military retreats.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

But not, apparently, during their elite military retreats.

Military retreats don't need to be heard in their original Klingon to be properly understood.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

mycomancy posted:

Wow, I didn't realize making a flippant comment about The Trek and The Furious 3: Romulan Drift would bring out goons with pitchforks.

Lol are seriously trying to play the "u mad?" card right now?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you've never even seen a movie, you can't really go around saying "wow, you guys actually like that lovely movie?"

Orv
May 4, 2011
As good as

mycomancy posted:

The Trek and The Furious 3: Romulan Drift

is, you're dumb.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

MorgaineDax posted:

An alien teaching herself English? Not in my Trek. Computer, replicate me a table so I may flip it in disgust!

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Where'd you get that picture of my dining room?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Maybe it's the perspective but is that headrest for like, children? Is it extra horrible?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

DS9 trip report: Season 1, episode 2 "A Man Alone" (I think, too lazy to look it up now)

That Morn, always gotta be at the center of the action! I wasn't expecting him to be part of the mostly Bajoran mob out to get Odo.

Most of the characters seem pretty well like what I remember already. Dax and Bashir make me cringe, Miles and Keiko are bickering, Quark and Odo steal the show. Sisko is still on a high from the pilot, he just thinks everything is grand and nothing fazes him. Rom is about the only one who feels way different.

Next episode introduces Garak, I see.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
There's nothing notable about Garek.

He's just a simple tailor.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 15, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mycomancy posted:

Beyond is great.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I'm currently watching Voyager with an episode guide saying which episodes are worth watching and which aren't, I did the same with TNG and DS9, and with all the dross cut, Voyager is way better than DS9.

willie_dee fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 15, 2017

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

willie_dee posted:

and with all the dross cut, Bottisham way better than DS9.

I don't know what that word was supposed to be but you're still definitely wrong, mister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I don't think you can really experience Voyager without watching all of it. I can't say for sure though, because I got completely burnt out in season six and no longer care if they make it home/whether I live or die.

There is something kind of amazing about bad Voyager though. A lot of episodes are like a master class in how not to write science fiction. I saw a clip of the anniversary con panel where they were asked what the worst episode was and someone mentioned the one where space broke so every time they left a room they wound up in a random different room and spent the entire episode just aimlessly wandering the sets and they were all just laughing their asses off about how stupid it was. I'd almost forgotten that episode even existed, but as soon as they mentioned it, the memories of the utter bafflement I felt while watching it came flooding back. Even in a show with so many crap episodes, there's something sort of disarming about realizing that you're watching something that just shouldn't exist. Seeing the actors share my befuddlement was more emotionally affecting than literally anything in the actual show.

I'm not saying you should torture yourself, but if you only watch the good(ish) episodes, you really do miss out on something magical.