Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

That Branco is basically "fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck everything is going to poo poo, Trump's gonna get impeached gently caress gently caress gently caress uh uh uh LIBERALS ARE GAY GROSS LOSERS WITH NO JOBS! oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress"

The Alt-Right meltdown is amazing. The Donald is melting down and saying Pewdiepie is their new God because he's being attacked for being an anti-semite. They're saying Wolf Blitzer is a child molester and using photos of Obama with Jared from Subway as evidence of a vast pedophile conspiracy.

They're losing what little is left of their minds.

Pewdiepie is an anti-Semite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

santanotreal posted:

Pewdiepie is an anti-Semite?

Not really.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/13/pewdiepie-youtube-star-disney-antisemitic-videos

quote:

He said that his comments were jokes that have been taken out of context and that the video with the banner was created to show “how crazy the modern world is”. He used freelance marketplace Fiverr to hire two men in India to make the offensive sign.

“I think it’s important to say something and I want to make one thing clear: I am in no way supporting any kind of hateful attitudes,” he said. “Though this was not my intention, I understand that these jokes were ultimately offensive.”

“As laughable as it is to believe that I might actually endorse these people, to anyone unsure on my standpoint regarding hate-based groups: No, I don’t support these people in any way.”

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I thought Trump supporters were the ones with no jobs due to the coal mine being shut down and that's why they voted Trump? At least that's the narrative!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

OldTennisCourt posted:

The Alt-Right meltdown is amazing. The Donald is melting down and saying Pewdiepie is their new God because he's being attacked for being an anti-semite. They're saying Wolf Blitzer is a child molester and using photos of Obama with Jared from Subway as evidence of a vast pedophile conspiracy.

I like how AskTrumpSupporters is literally ignoring questions about Flynn atm

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
I haven't frequented this thread in a while, but does anyone have any link to any of the amazing edits done to Glenn Mccoys infamous Obama bashing fetuses cartoon?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

BarbarianElephant posted:

I thought Trump supporters were the ones with no jobs due to the coal mine being shut down and that's why they voted Trump? At least that's the narrative!
They also managed to pack his rallies during the election, even on weekdays during working hours, if you'll recall.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Johnny Walker posted:

They also managed to pack his rallies during the election, even on weekdays during working hours, if you'll recall.

That was because Obama had taken their jobs with their guns, but Trump's already fixed everything. Clearly.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is it wrong that I think this is a good cartoon about leftists abandoning symbols of dignity, solidarity, and labor and instead obsessing over identity politics?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Fangz posted:

Oh, I was thinking it was a slam on Trump AND the right wing media.

Dudes not labelled. he's the person we are expected to identify with.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

On the other hand he's been making anti-semetic "jokes" for months and his favourite punchlines are "rape" and "big black dicks".

quote:

It would be really nice if people could please stop claiming that it took an antisemitic joke for Disney to drop PewDiePie despite all his prior racist and misogynistic content.

PewDiePie has expressed antisemitic and Nazi sentiments in his videos long before this incident with fiverr.

August 7, 2016: PewDiePie, wearing a Make America Great Again hat, begins his video with a swastika and other Nazi imagery, and uses a photo of Hitler as a segue between clips

September 24, 2016: In a video criticising YouTube policy, he shows a clip of Hitler giving a speech

October 15, 2016: PewDiePie posts swastikas drawn by his fans

December 8, 2016: PewDiePie wears a brown military uniform while watching a Hitler clip at the end of his video

Antisemitic website the Daily Stormer has also given PewDiePie praise for Nazi imagery in his videos, writing:

“PewDiePie is /ourguy/.

This latest video is unapologetically full-Nazi.

The guy has 52 million subscribers, compared to the number 2 YouTuber that has 30 million. He is arguably the most watched person on the planet.

And he is pushing hardcore GTKRWN materials.

In this video, he calls out the Jews for killing Jesus, and points out several times that Hitler did nothing wrong.

At the very least, he is making the masses comfortable with our ideas.

I hope he keeps doing this – staying chill, I mean. Not going too far. I think he’s aware that he’s eventually going to get banned – if he wasn’t ready for that, he wouldn’t be calling out the Jews head-on like this.”

So please understand that he’s targeted Jews in the past without major outrage or punishment. He’s used Nazi imagery as a joke in his videos before. The “death to all Jews” video that caused outrage wasn’t the first antisemitic video PewDiePie posted. He’s also racist and misogynistic and he should have been called out on these things and dropped a long time ago.

But his antisemitic content neither began nor ended with the Fiverr video.

Source: http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/14/youtube-also-cuts-ties-with-pewdiepie-over-nazi-imagery-in-videos-6448782/#ixzz4YksS7Txa

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

"Roohullah and Juhaynah" disgusts me because it's not even trying to be clever, or a joke. Might as well just say "durka durka" instead if you're appealing to the people who smirk at vaguely ethnic gibberish.

e: Rohammed and Jululate

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 15, 2017

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

On the other hand he's been making anti-semetic "jokes" for months and his favourite punchlines are "rape" and "big black dicks".

And of course he will just say it's a joke and clearly should be taken as such which is the worst argument for having really lovely opinions.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kopijeger posted:

Lucky Ducky having a green head and brown body in most comics suggests that he is supposed to be a (male) mallard.

Is "Duckella" actually Ducky in drag, or did Bolling make a mistake?

It's makeup. See, in nature, female birds have drab camouflage colors and try to stay hidden from predators because they've got to take care of their eggs and chicks; whereas male birds have colorful plumage to seduce female birds. But here this cartoon duck is a prostitute, so she's got to make her plumage colorful to seduce customers, and as a duck her idea of a sexy color is green. It's all very logical.

Innocent people were murdered! LOL!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Green child yearns for death

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Perhaps, but it's all seemingly done in the spirit of "isn't it CRAZY how Nazi stuff is relevant again?" I've always thought he was annoying and never watched any of his videos, but I'll draw the line at calling him an anti-semite based on some dumb jokes. Just because a Nazi website thinks he agrees with them ideologically and lays claim to him doesn't make it any more valid than when conservatives used to think The Colbert Report was being serious.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Arglebargle III posted:

Is it wrong that I think this is a good cartoon about leftists abandoning symbols of dignity, solidarity, and labor and instead obsessing over identity politics?

Yeah, it's possible to obsess over identity politics but as long as you are not merely trying to have a sufficiently diverse ruling class, you are cool w/ me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

santanotreal posted:

And of course he will just say it's a joke and clearly should be taken as such which is the worst argument for having really lovely opinions.

I've head the exact same line from people who were trying to figure out how much racism they could get away with with present company. The WSJ article on him said they found at least 9 instances of him saying nazi poo poo in the last year.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes. In fact, people whining about "identity politics" are mostly obnoxious white dudes trying to ignore problems facing any demographic other than their own, and if you think the Garrison SJW strawman is an accurate portrayal of contemporary leftists you should maybe talk to some actual leftists.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
Shouting a meme and calling it humor is a disease.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Perhaps, but it's all seemingly done in the spirit of "isn't it CRAZY how Nazi stuff is relevant again?" I've always thought he was annoying and never watched any of his videos, but I'll draw the line at calling him an anti-semite based on some dumb jokes. Just because a Nazi website thinks he agrees with them ideologically and lays claim to him doesn't make it any more valid than when conservatives used to think The Colbert Report was being serious.

He says nazi poo poo , he's done 9 videos with explicit anti-semitic "jokes" in them this year.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
At what point did paying people to say "Hitler did nothing wrong" and to hold up signs that say "Death to all jews" no longer become a red flag?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

At what point did paying people to say "Hitler did nothing wrong" and to hold up signs that say "Death to all jews" no longer become a red flag?

2016/17

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

tyblazitar posted:

Yes. In fact, people whining about "identity politics" are mostly obnoxious white dudes trying to ignore problems facing any demographic other than their own, and if you think the Garrison SJW strawman is an accurate portrayal of contemporary leftists you should maybe talk to some actual leftists.

Way to immediately turn this around into whining white dudes and no-true-leftist. Is it wrong to worry about class solidarity dropping out of the political left's platform? You may recall there were some nasty fights within the Democratic party just recently about class messages versus identity messages.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

He says nazi poo poo , he's done 9 videos with explicit anti-semitic "jokes" in them this year.

You can keep writing "jokes" in quotation marks but that doesn't stop them from being jokes. Terrible jokes no doubt, but this is a dumbass YouTube celebrity and I wouldn't expect any quality satire from him. For instance:

quote:

August 7, 2016: PewDiePie, wearing a Make America Great Again hat, begins his video with a swastika and other Nazi imagery, and uses a photo of Hitler as a segue between clips

Pretty obviously a joke equating Trump with Hitler.

quote:

September 24, 2016: In a video criticising YouTube policy, he shows a clip of Hitler giving a speech

Youtube lawyers are being Nazis. Boring, played out joke but still a joke. The rest of the instances seem similar. I don't buy him as some Richard Spencer type who's secretly harboring neo-Nazi ideology and then denies it in public on account of it being unpalatable. It seems more like he does them as exaggeration or to point out what he regards as an absurdity, then people see Nazi imagery and either strip it of context or approach it from the position that Nazi imagery is too serious to ever be used in jokes which is a different argument.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Way to immediately turn this around into whining white dudes and no-true-leftist. Is it wrong to worry about class solidarity dropping out of the political left's platform? You may recall there were some nasty fights within the Democratic party just recently about class messages versus identity messages.

Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about leftists, not the Democratic party.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

You can keep writing "jokes" in quotation marks but that doesn't stop them from being jokes. Terrible jokes no doubt, but this is a dumbass YouTube celebrity and I wouldn't expect any quality satire from him. For instance:

Pretty obviously a joke equating Trump with Hitler.

Youtube lawyers are being Nazis. Boring, played out joke but still a joke. The rest of the instances seem similar. I don't buy him as some Richard Spencer type who's secretly harboring neo-Nazi ideology and then denies it in public on account of it being unpalatable. It seems more like he does them as exaggeration or to point out what he regards as an absurdity, then people see Nazi imagery and either strip it of context or approach it from the position that Nazi imagery is too serious to ever be used in jokes which is a different argument.

Ah yes, ironic racists are never outed as actual racists, especially not on the internet.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Yeah, he's not a nazi anti-semite, and I wish the people would stop using labels like that so lightly. It's just lowest-denominator shock humor. It doesn't even qualify as a joke. I'm not going to defend that garbage, but I'm not going to pretend that he's ideologically Frank Ancona either. It's the kind of stuff like black jokes or dead baby jokes that we'd tell in middle school because since we hadn't developed any sense of creative humor yet, we went for things that made us surprised and what we couldn't say in front of our parents. The kind of stuff I'd roll my eyes and slap me silly for saying if I could go back in time.

There was a story a while ago about the game Bulletstorm. If you never played it, it's a fun shooter and has professional voice actors cussing like sailors and Jennifer Hale calling Steve Blum a "suicidal limp-dick retard." The largely Polish development team wondered why there was a backlash against the language (the script was by an American) and it wasn't until some of the devs were handed Polish translations of the scripts that they were like "Oh yikes" and realized that while you may grasp the words, you don't always grasp the context. As a personal example, we had to sit a Korean kid down at work one time to seriously get him to stop saying the word "gently caress" around customers and higher-ups. He had only ever heard the word used a million times in movies back home, so he just assumed it was a word that we just said all the time and had to find the equivalent in his language to get him to understand what he was doing at work wasn't cool or something that he really would have wanted to do if he was more aware of it.

I really think Pewdie ran into that problem. He had to be funny and entertaining in a second language without really getting how to use that language for humor. But saying shocking stuff got young males laughing at him screaming rape and Jew because that's what they wanted and it was easy for him, but I bet if he caught his kid watching similar stuff in Swedish then he'd have a different attitude towards it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
"Gee whiz i wonder if this guy that keeps calling for the death of jews and saying that Hitler did nothing wrong so much that it highly impressed the biggest white supremacist on the internet could possibly be a racist?"

Like motherfucker, the alt-right showed without a doubt that the majority of "ironic" racism simply isn't.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, he's not a nazi anti-semite, and I wish the people would stop using labels like that so lightly. It's just lowest-denominator shock humor. It doesn't even qualify as a joke. I'm not going to defend that garbage, but I'm not going to pretend that he's ideologically Frank Ancona either. It's the kind of stuff like black jokes or dead baby jokes that we'd tell in middle school because since we hadn't developed any sense of creative humor yet, we went for things that made us surprised and what we couldn't say in front of our parents. The kind of stuff I'd roll my eyes and slap me silly for saying if I could go back in time.

There was a story a while ago about the game Bulletstorm. If you never played it, it's a fun shooter and has professional voice actors cussing like sailors and Jennifer Hale calling Steve Blum a "suicidal limp-dick retard." The largely Polish development team wondered why there was a backlash against the language (the script was by an American) and it wasn't until some of the devs were handed Polish translations of the scripts that they were like "Oh yikes" and realized that while you may grasp the words, you don't always grasp the context. As a personal example, we had to sit a Korean kid down at work one time to seriously get him to stop saying the word "gently caress" around customers and higher-ups. He had only ever heard the word used a million times in movies back home, so he just assumed it was a word that we just said all the time and had to find the equivalent in his language to get him to understand what he was doing at work wasn't cool or something that he really would have wanted to do if he was more aware of it.

I really think Pewdie ran into that problem. He had to be funny and entertaining in a second language without really getting how to use that language for humor. But saying shocking stuff got young males laughing at him screaming rape and Jew because that's what they wanted and it was easy for him, but I bet if he caught his kid watching similar stuff in Swedish then he'd have a different attitude towards it.

I agree with some of the stuff you're saying here, but not the language barrier thing. Being Swedish is not an impediment to knowing what rape and antisemitism is, especially considering lots of English native speakers use the same kind of "humor".

But yeah, making some dick who is edgy on the internet to entertain literal children up to be an actual nazi is pretty far-fetched. Question the effect of his words all you like, but you'll need a lot stronger proof before ascribing that kind of intent to them.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Only one side is asking for the other to be dropped, unless you see a $12 minimum wage as an unforgivable betrayal of the working class.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

tyblazitar posted:

I agree with some of the stuff you're saying here, but not the language barrier thing. Being Swedish is not an impediment to knowing what rape and antisemitism is, especially considering lots of English native speakers use the same kind of "humor".

But yeah, making some dick who is edgy on the internet to entertain literal children up to be an actual nazi is pretty far-fetched. Question the effect of his words all you like, but you'll need a lot stronger proof before ascribing that kind of intent to them.

How much does the intent matter when you're consistently exposing children to nazi imagery and ideology

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

The democratic party hasn't once ever cared about class solidary as a party platform.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

"Gee whiz i wonder if this guy that keeps calling for the death of jews and saying that Hitler did nothing wrong so much that it highly impressed the biggest white supremacist on the internet could possibly be a racist?"

Like motherfucker, the alt-right showed without a doubt that the majority of "ironic" racism simply isn't.

Be as sarcastic as you want, your underlying point is unconvincing. There's a big difference between actual Nazis and internet edgelords and I'm not about to start declaring people to be white nationalists based on dumb gag videos.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

How much does the intent matter when you're consistently exposing children to nazi imagery and ideology

Not much, and I'm not defending him, that kind of humor doesn't exactly help the current situation, especially when it's received in that way by actual nazis. That being said, I think this is more a case of "internet shouty man surrounded by edgy teenagers embraces increasingly politically incorrect humor without considering the possibly harmful repercussions", which while lovely, is at least in my book categorically different from earnestly and intentionally advocating and working towards genocide.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

wait didn't pewdiepie pay some dude hold up a sign saying "hitler did nothing wrong signed, an idiot" or something?

Dumb joke but i don't think that's exactly racist. Unless he did something else since then?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
What if instead, pewdiepie kept cutting to pig poop balls in his videos, and dressed up as a big pig scrotum with a turd lying on it. I bet people wouldn't be saying he was a Nazi then, huh. Makes you think.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

albany academy posted:

Dudes not labelled. he's the person we are expected to identify with.

I identify with the woman going :stare:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I'm going to repost this so people who have you on ignore can see it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa