Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Just the episode "Dax" is alright just because Trek courtroom episodes are always good, even it is basically a ripoff of Measure of Man.

The problem I have with that episode is that they're acting like it's totally unexplored legal territory, even though crimes committed by previous hosts MUST have come up many times before in Trill history. There's got to be a way Trill law handles this sort of thing. Whether other worlds would accept that precedent (whatever it is) would be an open question, but that's not what they were arguing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

King Hong Kong posted:

As much as I enjoy DS9, there is a lot of forgettable filler (especially if you don't generally care for the Ferengi episodes) because the writers had a habit of writing several almost indistinguishable episodes for certain characters. I defy you to say that any of the Dax symbiont related episodes are really worth watching.

The one where they did the ceremony where she meets Dax's past hosts through their possession of the senior staff owns. Crazy Sisko chewing scenery, Odo living it up, great episode.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, there's no camera or audience on the holodeck. You might as well ask, "how come I can see Hamlet and Ophelia from all the way over here, shouldn't there be a fourth wall in the way?" Congratulations, you have just discovered the distinction between objective and subjective storytelling.
HOLY loving poo poo! All these years making sarcastic comments on an internet comedy forum and I never realised! Thank god you were here to explain this to me! :v:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

You're welcome. :):

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The ISS has exocomps now, it seems.

https://twitter.com/Space_Station/status/832039307900710912

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

SPHERES first flew in 2006.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

"What's your favorite thing about space? Mine is space."
"Space going to space can't wait."
"Space..."
"Space. Trial. Puttin' the system on trial. In space. Space system. On trial. Guilty. Of being in space! Going to space jail!"
"Space space going to space oh boy"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I went to bat for Sub Rosa, and I'll go to bat for Move Along home, while not spookely good bad, I'd certainly say it's at least fun. I like how Kira is just over everything the whole time.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's even better than that. They got "fan mail" asking for him to be Chief before his episode had even aired. Dude was shameless.

Hah I forgot about that part. Yea, seriously dude, I'm sure he also made himself be known by the writing staff hoping they'd make him a reoccurring cast member at least.

I've thought about rewatching Voyager, as the majority of the series I've only seen when it was originally broadcast, but I really cannot imagine it will hold any joy in watching. Same with Enterprise. It's amazing how little of that show I remember though. I do remember thinking "oh god someone in the writers room said "temporal cold war" and everyone thought it was brilliant but had zero idea what the hell it meant and what they were going to do with it, but hey, it certainly sounds cool!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

DS9 trip report: Season 1, episode 3 "Past Prologue"

Garak hits the ground running, nice. Was he planned as a recurring character or did he knock it out of the park so they brought him back later? He does seem well set up to stay around, but I was curious.

I didn't remember Lursa and B'Etor ever coming to DS9 either. They didn't get a lot to do though; too bad. Those actors usually seem to really enjoy their roles.

Kira's scene with Odo in his office resolving her dilemma was a good character moment for both. I appreciated Odo stepping on her by making the call to Sisko before she knew she was ready. Totally fitting for him.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah Garak was going to be a one-off for Bashir to play off of and maybe used over a few episodes, but he was a great character and the actor also pushed to become reoccurring and invested a lot into his backstory and writing. He took a lot of owership of the character and Ira and the writing staff really supported it all because they're good. He wanted to make the character more obviously bi and this was also something ira and the gang supported but that was a bit too much for 90's TV and certainly way too much for Ricky B.

So as you watch Garak, know that the actor is playing the dude as down to gently caress anyone, specially Bashir.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I've seen that said in this thread or its predecessors, yeah. He was definitely flashing eyes at Bashir.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Having watched Our Man Bashir, the climax being "Yes Bashir will destroy the fake Earth to save real people" felt like a writing misfire over the much more interesting "Bashir will stone cold murder Garak to complete a mission."

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

"What's your favorite thing about space? Mine is space."
"Space going to space can't wait."
"Space..."
"Space. Trial. Puttin' the system on trial. In space. Space system. On trial. Guilty. Of being in space! Going to space jail!"
"Space space going to space oh boy"

Yes yes yes

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

dont even fink about it posted:

Having watched Our Man Bashir, the climax being "Yes Bashir will destroy the fake Earth to save real people" felt like a writing misfire over the much more interesting "Bashir will stone cold murder Garak to complete a mission."

I love that Bashir being willing to murder Garak to achieve his goals is the most proud we ever see Garak being about anyone.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wasn't that more of a comedy episode anyway? I mean yeah for high drama it's obviously more compelling to have the climax be Bashir trying to pull the trigger on Garak, but for a comedy the genre inversion is probably more appropriate.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I got to chill with Andrew at a little con and he was discussing Garak's sexuality and poo poo. He made it clear Garak wasn't just bi, he was, "omnisexual" which wasn't a word people were really throwing around in the 90's. He doesn't care about gender or species or how they do it, he'd give anything a go even for pure curiosity/experience sake. My wife found my signed picture of garak where he added a "Never tell the same lie twice" message from that con and framed it on our wall because sometimes I think she loves ds9 even more than me.

Also that bond episode has some of the best Brooks acting in the whole show.

Orv
May 4, 2011
To me, Our Man Bashir was a tiny little jump forward in time to just how eccentric Brooks has ended up, we just didn't know it then.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Our Man Bashir is great, and Brooks as a bond villain is so great.

Baronjutter posted:

I got to chill with Andrew at a little con and he was discussing Garak's sexuality and poo poo. He made it clear Garak wasn't just bi, he was, "omnisexual" which wasn't a word people were really throwing around in the 90's. He doesn't care about gender or species or how they do it, he'd give anything a go even for pure curiosity/experience sake. My wife found my signed picture of garak where he added a "Never tell the same lie twice" message from that con and framed it on our wall because sometimes I think she loves ds9 even more than me.

Andrew Robinson is great, and Garek is one of the best Trek characters ever. I still think this is one of the best moments in DS9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hdiuRMK3UQ

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I've seen that said in this thread or its predecessors, yeah. He was definitely flashing eyes at Bashir.

I think this is from Fifty Year Mission:

"quivering sexuality"!

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
A bit ago I posted about how I was putting together a sampler of a handful of Trek episodes from each series, for my friend who had never seen Star Trek. She watched a handful from each series, fell pretty in love with TOS, and then fell SUPER in love with DS9 and is going through the entire thing. I'm so proud. She's just about to start season 6 and I can't wait to experience it by proxy.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I feel like you should at least warn her about 7.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

PassTheRemote posted:

Andrew Robinson is great, and Garek is one of the best Trek characters ever. I still think this is one of the best moments in DS9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hdiuRMK3UQ
Quote for truth
Quote for life
Quote for Sto'Vo'Kor

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

DS9 gets the rep for being the darkest series but is the only Trek series (besides TOS) that is consistently funny as well. Not just gags from now and then but the characters actually joking and teasing with each other. All the other shows just kind have "the funny one" and everyone maybe gets a mild zinger every few episodes.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Also the only one where the characters could have changing personal relationships / dates outside of other main characters because they're not all stuck on a ship of just static crew people for x years.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pwnstar posted:

DS9 gets the rep for being the darkest series but is the only Trek series (besides TOS) that is consistently funny as well. Not just gags from now and then but the characters actually joking and teasing with each other. All the other shows just kind have "the funny one" and everyone maybe gets a mild zinger every few episodes.

I love the banter between the DS9 crew. It's funny and charming, and it comes across as genuinely affectionate.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

I love the banter between the DS9 crew. It's funny and charming, and it comes across as genuinely affectionate.

On the other hand I feel like once you've seen one Odo/Quark interaction you've seen them all, but I'm the resident DS9 hater.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If we're doing a best of for DS9 it's like 99% of the show.

You can skip every Vic Fontaine episode though.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

On the other hand I feel like once you've seen one Odo/Quark interaction you've seen them all, but I'm the resident DS9 hater.

It pays off in the later seasons where they develop a kind of grudging respect for each other.

Rhyno posted:

It's Only a Paper Moon is a really good episode. :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pakled posted:

It pays off in the later seasons where they develop a kind of grudging respect for each other.

They're friends! They're like a pair of curmudgeonly old guys who hate eachother but wouldn't want to see anything happen to the other. They both love the game of cat and mouse they're always playing.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Badda-Bing, Badda Bang is amazing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The_Doctor posted:

They're friends! They're like a pair of curmudgeonly old guys who hate eachother but wouldn't want to see anything happen to the other. They both love the game of cat and mouse they're always playing.

That's....very, very gay. I approve.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

I hated Vic when DS9 first ran.

I love Vic now.

Vic.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Phimosissy posted:

I love Vic now.

Vic.

I hate Vic now.

gently caress Vic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Grumpy Old Men The Ascent

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Setting aside whether Ferengi are supposed to be hideous jew goblins, or why there is a commerce-obsessed race in loving Star Trek, I find the character really grating and one-note to the bitter end, and I certainly don't find him as funny as the writers do, who clearly think he's hilarious. Stretched attempts to link the Ferengi to current humanity are by the way a huge misfire that says more about the writers than it does humanity.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more Quark exemplifies my dislike of DS9, because he typifies the writing that is not half as smart as it thinks it is.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 16, 2017

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ferengi completely gently caress the idea we have to give up greed if we're to ever prosper and trek through the stars, and yet they were Gene's original idea.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
yeah the Ferengi are generally pretty terrible but the Grand Nagus redeems them completely

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Ferengi completely gently caress the idea we have to give up greed if we're to ever prosper and trek through the stars, and yet they were Gene's original idea.

Well, they were meant as big bads in early TNG, not characters for the various humans and noble aliens to co-exist with.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Frionnel posted:

Badda-Bing, Badda Bang is amazing.

I also loved the beat where Sisko refuses to go to Vic's initially because of the status of black people at the time Vic's depicts and his Benny Russell experience.

Of course he'd react that way, that makes perfect sense. I would normally expect a show to blow past that aspect entirely and just get on with the shenanigans.

But yeah Vic's was a bit overplayed for my taste. It worked in paper moon but I really don't need entire songs in the middle of my Star Trek.

What was really annoying was GN Zeks voice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Quark himself isn't a great character but he's good as a foil for the characters who have to deal with him, like Odo and Rom.