Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Curse of Strahd avoided reintroducing the magical gypsies.

I hope that lie helps you feel better.

that one moment i had in between reading the two sentences was pretty nice i'll admit

(goddamit wotc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The Vistani definitely aren't reintroduced, and definitely aren't used to inject charming local flavor in the adventure by being constantly drunk, lying/stealing a lot, kidnapping children, and being wandering bandit encounters.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

The Vistani (singular: Vistana) are wanderers who live outside civilization, traveling about in horse-drawn, barrel-topped wagons called vardos, which they build themselves. Compared to Barovians they are flamboyant. Vistani dress in bright clothes, laugh often, arid drink heartily. As much as they feel at home in Strahd's dreary land, they know they can leave it whenever they please and aren't damned ro spend eternity there.

Vistani are silversmiths, coppersmiths, haberdashers, cooks, weavers, musicians, entertainers, storytellers, toolmakers, and horse traders. They also earn money by telling fortunes and selling information. They spend whatever they earn to support a lavish lifestyle, display their wealth openly as a sign of prosperity, and share their good fortune with family and friends.

Each family or clan of Vistani is its own little gerontocracy, with the oldest member ruling the roost. This elder carries the bulk of the responsibility for enforcing traditions, settling disputes, setting the course for the group's travels, and preserving the Vistani way of life. Vistani elders make all the important decisions, but whether by choice or because of their age, tend to speak in cryptic, flowing riddles.

Vistani families and clans are closely knit. They resolve disagreements through contests that end with reconciliatory singing, dancing, and storytelling. Although they can seem lazy and irresponsible to outsiders, the Vistani are serious people, quick to act when their lives or traditions are threatened. They are merciless when they believe they must be. Vistani who knowingly bring harm or misfortune to others of their kind are banished - the worst punishment a Vistana can imagine, even worse than death.

Are you loving kidding me with this poo poo, WOTC. A vardo is the literal word used to describe the wagons used by the Romani! That's not even being subtle about it!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are you loving kidding me with this poo poo, WOTC. A vardo is the literal word used to describe the wagons used by the Romani! That's not even being subtle about it!

That was probably the same word used by Tracy and Laura Hickman in the original module and therefore cannot be changed ever at all. Even if it's racist now and the world has moved on THIS CANNOT BE CHANGED. Never mind two Mormons maybe being wrong about a different racial group.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

although they can seem like a terrible racist stereotype to outsiders, they are in fact several terrible racist stereotypes

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nuns with Guns posted:

Having gotten to look over the Nocturne book more, I have to say that I really dig the classes in there a lot too. One's kind of a mage class but mostly relies on building a battle construct to fight for them. One eats ghosts and uses powers derived from that to fight. And the last one is a Blade-style monster-hunter-who-is-also-sort-of-a-monster. I'd throw all of them in a pool alongside the Glorantha classes (when they come out) and the regular 13th age classes if I ran a game

Mind linking to this Nocturne book?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

I've seen other games try to have some kind of token system where the GM has resources to spend to hinder the players, but it doesn't make much sense to me in a context where it's understood that the GM controls the universe and acts against the PCs whenever they think it's appropriate.

To me it's like an encounter building system a gm limits the amount of fuckery he can do to the players in an attempt at balance Plus I think it's a better tool for bad or less inventive gm's

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Elfgames posted:

To me it's like an encounter building system a gm limits the amount of fuckery he can do to the players in an attempt at balance Plus I think it's a better tool for bad or less inventive gm's
Right! Things like "this is the DC for a wooden door" and "a monster encounter in the first level of the dungeon can only be these monsters" are the more explicit, more mechanically-involved version of PBTA's GM Moves, in that they're a limiter on how much of a dick you can or should be as a GM.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Hoi

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Right! Things like "this is the DC for a wooden door" and "a monster encounter in the first level of the dungeon can only be these monsters" are the more explicit, more mechanically-involved version of PBTA's GM Moves, in that they're a limiter on how much of a dick you can or should be as a GM.

right but a Gm Has limitless resources where as players do not so it's inherently balanced by the skill and pettiness of the gm. Making the gm abide by actual rules when playing the game can mitigate that to a large degree. Moves are decent for this but I actually like more hard guidelines.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is there a crunchy game with abstract / non-grid positioning?

Like a game that doesn't do it for the sake of being a storygame, but rather because it's designed to be the equivalent of D&D 4E but adapted for playing in a chatroom or PBP.

It's kind of medium-crunchy, but I have a soft spot for Old School Hack. Combat is based on abstract positioning and the area is divided into different "arenas," each with a descriptor that not only describes the terrain there but has a mechanical effect based on what type of weapon the character is using; Ranged weapons have +2 to hit enemies in Open arenas, Light weapons have +2 to hit in Tight arenas, and so on. Each combat round is divided into phases (like in ye olde D&D) and each character can only act in one of the phases. Should it be important to know who acts first in which phase you just roll d10 for initiative. Most of the real crunch comes from the interaction between different types of arenas and weapons, forced movement and characters being able to take actions like defending your allies (which is especially important if there are spell-casters in the group: a lot of spells start being cast early on in the turn and if the spell-caster takes a single hit before they finish casting it it's lost).

I have a few issues with the game but it's good hack and slashy fun with a D&D coat of paint on it. The main issue I have with it is that it's only got material for five levels, so it's not really good for extended campaigns but perfect for short mini-campaigns.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

P.d0t posted:

Yeah, the basic idea is that if you're playing the general practitioner, you'll wanna dip into both skills.

"Medical" knowledge in the D&D sense would pretty much just be Clerics knowing about healing magic, Necromancers knowing how long a corpse has been dead, and Assassins knowing where to stab hardest, etc.
"First Aid" would be more intended to patch up plot-important NPCs and such, or stabilize the unconscious/dying; healing of PCs would lean on the more mechanical parts of the system.

At one point I had it called "Anatomy & Physiology" but I'm not in love with that naming.

How about Trauma Medicine and Academics: Medical? Or Battlefield Medicine?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Triage and Anatomy

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Helical Nightmares posted:

How about Trauma Medicine and Academics: Medical? Or Battlefield Medicine?

Seems a little bit hair-splitty. But, "Combat Medicine" in place of First Aid and "_____ Medicine" in place of just 'Medical' probably has some merit.

Naming aside, is the distinction in design space adequate?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

P.d0t posted:

Seems a little bit hair-splitty. But, "Combat Medicine" in place of First Aid and "_____ Medicine" in place of just 'Medical' probably has some merit.

Naming aside, is the distinction in design space adequate?

Honestly, not really. There's no reason that someone trained in first aid wouldn't know the most vulnerable bits, and vice-versa re clerics with healing aptitude.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone tried running a game through Discord's chat? I can't commit a single stretch of two full hours to RPing, but I sure can post updates throughout a day, 5 to 15 minutes at a time, and I reckon it's a better pace/flow than PbP. I just don't know if people would appreciate getting bugged on their phones all day.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Has anyone tried running a game through Discord's chat? I can't commit a single stretch of two full hours to RPing, but I sure can post updates throughout a day, 5 to 15 minutes at a time, and I reckon it's a better pace/flow than PbP. I just don't know if people would appreciate getting bugged on their phones all day.

Someone please explain what Discord is, I keep hearing everyone talking about it and I'm just eternally clueless about it and I'm afraid this'll be the tipping point where I become officially old because I don't understand the latest computer thing

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

drrockso20 posted:

Mind linking to this Nocturne book?

it's up for sale at DriveThru RPG here. there's also a cheaper PDF player's guide here which has a brief overview of the setting and icons, plus the classes, races, and new items.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ratpick posted:

Someone please explain what Discord is, I keep hearing everyone talking about it and I'm just eternally clueless about it and I'm afraid this'll be the tipping point where I become officially old because I don't understand the latest computer thing

It's basically TeamSpeak/Ventrilo, except it's free and there's a completely web-browser-only version of it, and there's also a phone app for it, so the barrier of entry is super-low.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It's Slack for video games

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

I don't know what that is and now I feel even older

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's basically TeamSpeak/Ventrilo, except it's free and there's a completely web-browser-only version of it, and there's also a phone app for it, so the barrier of entry is super-low.

Okay I think I get it now. That sound pretty useful, yeah, I should look into it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ratpick posted:

Okay I think I get it now. That sound pretty useful, yeah, I should look into it.
It was actually your recent recruitment pitch that prompted my post - I have a lot of idle time in my job, so I think it should be easy for me to basically "exchange texts" with a person on the other end to run them through a Scarlet Heroes-style adventure throughout the day.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Quite a few members of the FFG Star Wars community in TG have moved over to doing Discord (text) chat games for exactly this reason. There are two games going on right now and it's working really well so far. We even have a dicebot set up.

And individual players can always edit their notification settings so they can choose exactly when push notifications get sent out to them. I have mine set up so that the game room always notifies me when there's an update, otherwise just when someone @'s me. It flows much, much faster than PbP, and pinging someone with a quick OOC question results in much smoother tabletalk.

Edit: though it helps if you've already got a habit of idling in Discord every day anyway, so it's not something new that you have to get used to. It's basically replaced IRC for me at this point.

Drone fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 16, 2017

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is there a crunchy game with abstract / non-grid positioning?

Like a game that doesn't do it for the sake of being a storygame, but rather because it's designed to be the equivalent of D&D 4E but adapted for playing in a chatroom or PBP.
Original Traveller and more recently, Burning Wheel both use a range band system, where distance is more of a status - nose to nose, arms length, spear reach, bow, etc. BW is really crunchy about it if you want to use all the rules - different weapons and shields give you a bonus when positioning, because of the way they threaten and protect.

Torchbearer doesn't keep track of it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dr Cheeto posted:

It's IRC with voice chat

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I tried it and while it was ok we decided to do it on IRC cause ts easier to get previous logs and such. Also making dicebots is a bit easier there.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also changing channel name on discord is kind of a pita compared to irc (which we use to track initiative and poo poo)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Plutonis posted:

Also changing channel name on discord is kind of a pita compared to irc (which we use to track initiative and poo poo)

Discord allows you to "pin" posts to the MOTD and pull up all the pins in a clipboard format. It's really handy for character sheets, maps, initiative tracking, etc.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
You use the channel name as an initiative tracker?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Drone posted:

Discord allows you to "pin" posts to the MOTD and pull up all the pins in a clipboard format. It's really handy for character sheets, maps, initiative tracking, etc.

Did they finally add that to the mobile version?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Discord is good, you nerds.
gently caress to IRC.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Error 404 posted:

Discord is good, you nerds.
gently caress to IRC.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
IRC is good.

Discord is good when it works and isn't busy being a broken-rear end piece of beta software, which is most of the time, but the times where it breaks are still annoying.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Until Discord allows proper archival of logs, IRC remains superior as far as I'm concerned.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I'm thinking of picking up Ben Robbins' Kingdom. Anyone here read/played it before? What did you think, and how does it compare to Microscope in terms of design?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I've read it and played it. It's more tightly focused on a single topic for each session than Microscope. Instead of a wide ranging history you'll tell the story of a small town or the crew of a pirate ship. Kingdom also has more "mechanics", there are ways to push the narrative and influence the other characters. It's a solid game, if you've got a few bucks to spare pick it up.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Lemon-Lime posted:

IRC is good.

Discord is good when it works and isn't busy being a broken-rear end piece of beta software, which is most of the time, but the times where it breaks are still annoying.

Discord needs to let you log poo poo. It also needs for text and voice channels be the same thing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sion posted:

Discord needs to let you log poo poo. It also needs for text and voice channels be the same thing.

:yeah:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sion posted:

Don't see the need for the latter part myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Don't see the need for the latter part myself.

yeah, text and voice being separate is really nice in my book

• Locked thread