Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think it's fine to be skeptical about the DLC and all the people getting weirdly defensive about it kind of silly.

As someone who's never bought a season pass my own cons about it are
-How vague it all is.
I don't expect a ton of details but the map function, hard mode and a few other things just don't say enough so it's easy to get confused and annoyed. Yesterday I saw posters going on about how there's already a hard mode in the game which just makes me more confused as to what that feature even is. If they had just said "we're planning to make it like Master Quest" or something then that would be all I needed to know.

-The proposed release date
I'm glad the game isn't being delayed for it and that's not what I'm asking but I think that waiting till the end of the year is just confusing in general. Current hype aside I don't know how many people are actually going to give a poo poo to boot the game up in like 4-5 months just to play through a vague "hard" mode and a mini dungeon when there's like, what, 100 or so already in the game or whatever? It sounds kind of slim and I have serious doubts that "holy poo poo one whole mini dungeon" is going to be worth anything, let alone if most people will even still be playing it by the years end just to see a few hour long side story about Zelda or whatever it's going to be.

I'm not worried so much about the quality, I'm sure whatever it is will be fine. I just don't know if it's worth going HOLY poo poo DAY 1 PREORDER!! when it could be too little too late by the time it actually comes out if that makes any sense?

I know a ton of people got the DLC for Hyrule Warriors and by the time the final characters came out in both versions most people had long since moved on. Just can't help but feel it's going to be the same case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Suspicious Dish posted:

since people don't know the game yet and they don't want to spoil it, they're left with vague wording like "map feature" which i cant even tell if that means like a new rock formation or like a button on the gui

also giving people an special bonus for preordering dlc before the game is out is kinda weird and does not register well

Wait, how in the world do you pre-order dlc for a game that hasn't been released for a system that hasn't been released?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
DLC should not be content that was cut from the game but it should also magically come out right after launch.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

DLC should not be content that was cut from the game but it should also magically come out right after launch.

Also, they shouldn't have told us this soon, but also no one is gonna care about the game later, but also.....

I mean, if people are all arguing AGAINST the DLC for exactly opposite reasons like this, its a pretty clear indication that you can't please everyone and everyone will bitch no matter what you do.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Dlc should only be stuff like the switch shirt tbh

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I would pay $20 DLC to ban everyone still talking about DLC in this thread.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Dave posted:

I would pay $20 DLC to ban everyone still talking about DLC in this thread.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think anyone is saying that it should magically come out the second the game launches. That seems like a very silly thing to think!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

mabels big day posted:

Dlc should only be stuff like the switch shirt tbh

"I paid $20 and all I got was this shirt."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't think anyone is saying that it should magically come out the second the game launches. That seems like a very silly thing to think!

You must have missed all the people who said "Summer and holiday 2017? Like anyone is going to dig out their Zelda cart then to play DLC."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The whole point of staggered DLC like this (other it probably not actually being ready) is that it gets people talking about the game again months later and more coverage on game sites and maybe stops a few people just trading their game in as soon as they finish it.

Dark Souls 3 had a season pass up from launch and the second of two DLC's is hitting almost exactly 12 months from when it originally came out.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Amazon has the Deluxe Edition of the guide landing page.

By god, it's beautiful.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I think it might almost be time to bunker down to avoid spoilers. Someone already has a retail version of the Switch, if you go to reddit or neogaf you can see their unboxing photos, videos of the Switch UI and more.

No idea if copies of Zelda are out there too but it's only a matter of time :tinfoil:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cojawfee posted:

You must have missed all the people who said "Summer and holiday 2017? Like anyone is going to dig out their Zelda cart then to play DLC."

A lot of people don't really care to dig out games months later to try the DLC. v:shobon:v

Like it's dumb but I know a good handful of people that buy season passes, then when it comes out a couple months later they wind up just looking the content up on youtube anyway because they're "over it" and playing other things.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

glassyalabolas posted:

Amazon has the Deluxe Edition of the guide landing page.

By god, it's beautiful.

That is an attractive book.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

A lot of people don't really care to dig out games months later to try the DLC. v:shobon:v

Like it's dumb but I know a good handful of people that buy season passes, then when it comes out a couple months later they wind up just looking the content up on youtube anyway because they're "over it" and playing other things.

So you think this content they haven't created yet should somehow come out right after launch to keep people interested?

Bongo Bill posted:

That is an attractive book.

Hopefully I can grab one. I went for the normal version the the Art and Artifacts book because the master sword version looked ugly. This book looks real cool though.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Sakurazuka posted:

The whole point of staggered DLC like this (other it probably not actually being ready) is that it gets people talking about the game again months later and more coverage on game sites and maybe stops a few people just trading their game in as soon as they finish it.

Dark Souls 3 had a season pass up from launch and the second of two DLC's is hitting almost exactly 12 months from when it originally came out.

This is 99% of the reason for extended DLC release schedules and constant game updates. If a game is short enough to beat in a weekend, and offers no further content, then people will just buy it, beat it, sell it, and treat Gamestop like a rental place. Used games hurt sales a LOT for publishers, so they encourage players to keep their game for future content.

Edit: I'm sure that having a holiday content release as an excuse to re-market zelda during the holiday season when they may only have Mario as a major release is a factor too.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Press have their copies now; IGN tweeted a photo of the title screen

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
gently caress yes let spoilers wash over me and cleanse my sins

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Hello darkness, my old friend.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Kirios posted:

Overwatch's loot boxes are a far, far grosser practice than DLC.

im not trying to derail, but what is wrong with loot boxes?

The base game is $40, it comes with every character and map for free and blizzard has promised to never paywall non-cosmetic game content.

You get loot boxes by leveling up, playing different game modes and winning OR just buying them outright with cash.

The contents are random, but almost always provide a small amount of game currency, which DOES let you buy the exact skin/tag/voice line/emote you want.

It is LITERALLY the least predatory, least intrusive microtransaction i have ever seen in a game. Like compare it to League of Legends, who have dope rare skins that cost $10-$20... A single skin for a single character... for $10-$20 and there is literally ZERO in-game method of acquiring it.(Gentleman Cho'Gath, i'l never regret buying you).

$20 for two DLC packs is... compared to what we've been getting across the industry right now... kinda super cheap?

Also a reminder that if the content weren't in the base game, and they had already delayed it a year, then the content you buy as DLC just wouldn't have ever existed in the first place, it would have just stayed cut and they would have never cleaned it up and released it for free later. Some companies, like SQUEnix, have lopped of parts of a full game into DLC, but that really doesn't seem like Nintendo's style.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

im not trying to derail, but what is wrong with loot boxes?

Loot boxes add an extra layer of abstraction to cosmetic content that only exists to force the player to either invest absurd amounts of time into content or pay money to have not an assured unlock of the content but a chance to get the content. And even that might be forgivable except for things like Overwatch content is time gated as well, which means that players can't merely just unlock content over time but rather they have to unlock it during a limited window or lose access to it. (For a year or possibly longer, depending on how things go.)

Your League of Legends comparison is silly because League of Legends offers both random boxes (though they're less forgiving than Overwatches) and the ability to just straight-up purchase the item you want. Overwatch doesn't and instead demands you play the random lottery even for the chance to eventually unlock enough shinies to get a skin. (And of course the rare time-limited skins are 3000 funbux.) and LoL's system is similarly lovely and predatory too but at minimum it at least offers you an option to purchase what you want instead of depending entirely on RNG even to get the funbux necessary to straight up purchase a skin. (Unless you've reached the point you basically have every skin/emote/ect already in which case you've invested a significantly above average amount of time into the game.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 17, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Loot boxes add an extra layer of abstraction to cosmetic content that only exists to force the player to either invest absurd amounts of time into content or pay money to have not an assured unlock of the content but a chance to get the content. And even that might be forgivable except for things like Overwatch content is time gated as well, which means that players can't merely just unlock content over time but rather they have to unlock it during a limited window or lose access to it. (For a year or possibly longer, depending on how things go.)

Cosmetic content is not consumable content, nor does it leverage an advantage over others. It's not a core gameplay element, it doesn't alter the nature or functionality of the gameplay. It's completely ethereal.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

ImpAtom posted:

Overwatch specifically annoys me with how even though the event rewards are significantly more expensive to purchase with in-game currency, you can't buy them that way after the event period ends and the box type is gone. That's scummy even by the standards of loot box mechanics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

Cosmetic content is not consumable content, nor does it leverage an advantage over others. It's not a core gameplay element, it doesn't alter the nature or functionality of the gameplay. It's completely ethereal.

So? That doesn't make their method of selling it any less predatory. Something doesn't have to be essential content for it still to be a lovely way for it to be distributed.

I mean I like Overwatch a lot (obviously <-) but that doesn't mean I ain't gonna criticize it on a lovely way of handling cosmetics.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 17, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is the DLC coming to WiiU or is it Switch-exclusive?

Yes, it's coming to Wii U.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Current hype aside I don't know how many people are actually going to give a poo poo to boot the game up in like 4-5 months just to play through a vague "hard" mode and a mini dungeon when there's like, what, 100 or so already in the game or whatever? It sounds kind of slim and I have serious doubts that "holy poo poo one whole mini dungeon" is going to be worth anything, let alone if most people will even still be playing it by the years end just to see a few hour long side story about Zelda or whatever it's going to be.

They said dungeon, not mini-dungeon.

The "mini-dungeons" are shrines, distinct from actual dungeons.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

LanceKing2200 posted:

This is 99% of the reason for extended DLC release schedules and constant game updates. If a game is short enough to beat in a weekend, and offers no further content, then people will just buy it, beat it, sell it, and treat Gamestop like a rental place. Used games hurt sales a LOT for publishers, so they encourage players to keep their game for future content.

Edit: I'm sure that having a holiday content release as an excuse to re-market zelda during the holiday season when they may only have Mario as a major release is a factor too.

Summer and Winter are definitely to ramp up attention to BotW during heavy Switch-pushes periods. We got the launch now, but this "summer" time will be when they ramp up marketing again to promote Splatoon 2, along with ARMS and Mario Kart 8, as this big cool fun online multiplayer console, with no subscription fee*, and Breath of the Wild with more acolytes and some tagline about how the new hard mode is for true intense doritos gamers or something. Then you got winter where the Switch will get a proper bundle to give for the holidays with a full year-1 of games, Mario and the new dungeon/story that makes BotW get more buzz again and be a big attention gatherer.

I half expect a 350 Switch bundle with BotW and DLC pre-installed.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

So? That doesn't make their method of selling it any less predatory. Something doesn't have to be essential content for it still to be a lovely way for it to be distributed.

I mean I like Overwatch a lot (obviously <-) but that doesn't mean I ain't gonna criticize it on a lovely way of handling cosmetics.

I don't see how something that has no effect on the product can be predatory.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

I agree, if overwatch was f2p.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm constantly amused how people obsess over how their video game character looks and sounds when they have absolutely zero impact on gameplay. People would go nutty in WoW to make their characters look a certain way and then spend 99.99999% of the time looking at that characters back.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Unfortunately due a glitch it will be impossible to get 100 percent completion because one puzzle in one shrine is unsolvable.

No matter what happens you can't fit the head, body and bottom in the correct order using the Sheikah Slate.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Augus posted:

I remember seeing Overwatch had these new cool Christmas costumes and being excited only to find out that they were limited time only and tied to the random loot system and designed to make me throw 100 bucks at the game in praying that I get a costume I like so then I didn't do that and played another game instead

Kirios posted:

Yeah, when people are ok with bullshit like that it's hard to get upset over DLC.

Overwatch is a good game with terrible practices that makes me avoid the gently caress out of it, but clearly some people are OK with it.

You are talking about cosmetic items that have 0 effect on gameplay. Why exactly is this a bad system? Also I'm not sure why how your character looks would be the deciding factor on you playing a competitive FPS.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Unfortunately due a glitch it will be impossible to get 100 percent completion because one puzzle in one shrine is unsolvable.

No matter what happens you can't fit the head, body and bottom in the correct order using the Sheikah Slate.

IT'S THREE loving PIECES LINK, HOW HARD IS IT? Oh great, now a sheikah guard is here.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Megasabin posted:

You are talking about cosmetic items that have 0 effect on gameplay. Why exactly is this a bad system? Also I'm not sure why how your character looks would be the deciding factor on you playing a competitive FPS.

Cosmetics have no effect on gameplay but they're still part of the game and add to my enjoyment of the game. And it's a 60 dollar game already.

Also I was exaggerating, I played a few rounds but was not happy about the costumes

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
What if Kirk Fog hosts Breath of the Wild?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Because if you care about it or not, cosmetics are a part of the product to people. They do not impact the gameplay but they are actually a factor in enjoyment for a lot of different games, which is why cosmetics are a major part of games to begin with. There are people who play games largely because they enjoy the customization and clothing options as much as anything else and the mere fact they sell chances at cosmetics for $1/pop should show that they have actual value to people.

Megasabin posted:

It is a bad system because it is a complete RNG-based microtransaction in a game that already costs $40-60 to purchase and play and because there are multiple examples of less-predatory systems available elsewhere. It is not particularly complex.

(Hell, to bring this back to Zelda, people got really upset when the Hyrule Warriors preorder skins seemed only available from certain retailers, something which was similarly cosmetic and still rightly criticized until they made 'em available to buy for everyone.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 17, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It does have an effect on the product. It does not have an effect on the fairness of the outcomes of play, but that is a reductive view of the game.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

People want skins and the only way to get them is to gamble.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Carhartt and boots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hedrigall posted:

Man I can't wait. As soon as I get off the plateau I'm heading south, over Lake Hylia's bridge looking every which way for secrets in the water. Then down to the southern coast because I have a feeling the windmill town might be somewhere there. But after one tantalising glimpse at the ocean I'm heading out west to the desert to do the Gerudo quest first. Might save the ocean/Zoras for last.

Spoilers ffs