Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Poor Freckles, thought of mud and died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

My mare did the same thing once. Only, it was at a horse show, and her trainer was all dressed and ready to show her in the next class. She, of course, did it because she found it funny.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

kill the horse and make sausage

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Streak posted:

just break up with him

not necessarily because he did something wrong (which is debatable, but i'm leaning towards him genuinely doing it jokingly and not threateningly (feel free to tell me how wrong i am)) but because you can't deal either way so yeah GTFO it's better for the both of you this way.

plus you can be all like "yeah i dumped my BF because he threatened me with a knife" and come out on top for years to come

It's not that you're wrong per se but I'd be just as scared because well, I have seen enough news articles about women being murdered by partners and strangers alike for seemingly no reason that my lizard brain would go straight to flight mode. And the fact he pulled the irrational card and won't own up to it at all is nasty. And before anyone gets defensive about this, in the US, three or more women are murdered every day by their boyfriend or husband. Winds up being about 1500 a year. I assume OP and her boyfriend are in the UK just judging by the language and the number is far, far lower there but it's just some food for thought.

The Lone Badger posted:

Exactly what I think of every time a horse story comes up

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 17, 2017

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Streak posted:

just break up with him

not necessarily because he did something wrong (which is debatable, but i'm leaning towards him genuinely doing it jokingly and not threateningly (feel free to tell me how wrong i am)) but because you can't deal either way so yeah GTFO it's better for the both of you this way.

plus you can be all like "yeah i dumped my BF because he threatened me with a knife" and come out on top for years to come

I had an ex who jokingly 'threatened' me with knives all the time even though I told him I hated it. He was definitely joking, just lacked the empathy to understand why it wasn't ok (usually he'd make noises like the stabby robot from Futurama while he did it.)

One day I found out he was cheating on me and he reacted by throwing me to the bed and strangling me till I apologised for looking at his phone.

It's probably not a good sign, is basically what I'm saying.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

quote:

I [24F] went to his [23M] place for the first time, he has bras hanging everywhere?

I've been seeing a guy for a few weeks, things are going well, he's much sweeter to me than anyone I've been with before. It's too early to have much of an opinion though.

I went back to his place for the first time yesterday and he had bras hung up along the top of the walls (like as trophys of previous escapades). They're in the main room of his apartment that he has 2 roommates with, so they aren't all "his". This felt like a huge red flag to me. Idc if someone has slept around, but to make a display like that???

I'm contemplating not pursuing this any further. Am I overreacting?

TLDR: Guy has bras from previous girls hanging in his apartment, red flag or just chock it up to a small case of college guys immaturity and proceed?

EDIT: I'd also like to ask, who on earth leaves their bra?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Jesus Christ.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Werong Bustope posted:

I had an ex who jokingly 'threatened' me with knives all the time even though I told him I hated it. He was definitely joking, just lacked the empathy to understand why it wasn't ok (usually he'd make noises like the stabby robot from Futurama while he did it.)

One day I found out he was cheating on me and he reacted by throwing me to the bed and strangling me till I apologised for looking at his phone.

why didn't you just kill him

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
if you killed him using knives it would have been extra funny

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Doing a heelturn at first sight of this was the only viable option and she missed it.

Now she is just another trophy.

So sad.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Zzulu posted:

why didn't you just kill him

why do you think he's an ex

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Coworker [25F] thinks we [22F] [20 - 30 F/M] are using "office politics" to bully her?

quote:

I've been a high school girl, so I know bullying in the form of ostracization. But this is not the case. There are no "office politics" oppressing the victim.

More or less, everyone in our office became close knit about 3 months ago. We were all in the same training class for a new branch in our company. After finishing training, majority of the people in the office felt comfortable exchanging Facebook info.

One person, Kathy [25F], told us all she didn't use Facebook. This was a lie because I had searched her name and found her before she stated this. It was an active and very public account, but I never outted her to the rest of the group. I believed it was her nice way of turning us down. I understood because not everyone is comfortable with work friends on their personal media.

Some weeks past and she lets it slip that she has a Facebook. Something about her dislike about her friends sharing stuff on her Feed. She was called out and she admitted she just didn't want to mix business with pleasure. Kathy didn't want work to get mixed with her personal life. Again, we understand.

So more months passed. And during said months, our group interacted outside of work. We went shopping together, had BBQ, movie nights, drank wine and watched Scandal, etc. And with this came inside jokes, more invitations, and emotional connections (?)

Last Monday, Kathy complained to me that our coworkers Brad and Joey were having a laugh during break. She feeling left out, asked what was so funny. They said she just had to be there to get it. She asked them to say it anyway, and that she'd probably get it. They did through giggles and when Kathy didn't laugh, they repeated she just had to be there to get it. When Kathy repeated the joke for me, I burst out laughing because it was an inside joke about something that happened at Joey's movie night. Kathy seemed hurt and went back to her desk.

Today during break, Patrice asked our other coworker Nancy what she should bring to Scandal night. This exchange happened in front of me and Kathy. Again Kathy piped up and asked what they were talking about. They explained that a few of us coworkers were getting together to watch Scandal and drink wine. Girl talk and stuff. They then started a conversation about the latest episode.

Kathy pulled me to the side and asked if everyone was doing things without her. I told her yes. She asked why she wasn't invited and I explained that it was because she told us she didn't want to mix business with pleasure. She still insisted it was rude not to ask and they were using "office politics" to bully her. She ranted about how she feels victimized and ostracized when she isn't included.

How do I explain it to her that her not being included is her fault and she can't force people to like/invite her?

TL;DR: Coworker doesn't want to mix personal life with work. She gets annoyed when everyone seems closer and does things outside of work without her.

EDIT: Bolded for emphasis since there is some confusion. Kathy has stated she doesn't want coworker interaction outside of work. Not just Facebook.

Ever since Kathy found out everyone does interact outside of work, she's been very curious about my texting (on break or after work). She wants to know if I'm texting X coworker or doing to X's coworker's event.

UPDATE (is this how I do it?):

I talked my coworkers during our time before shift starts (usually a coffee and donuts thing for everyone). I phrased it so that it seemed like I was hurt by the group talking about Scandal night in front of me. They understood and promised to keep that to themselves. I also stated that maybe next time me and Kathy could go.

Nancy was confused and Brad was visually disagreeing/pissed. Apparently, Kathy lied to me about not being invited. Why, I don't know.

Nancy sent Kathy a FB message weeks ago. Nancy said that she was thinking about having a TV and wine night. She listed a few shows and asked Kathy which would like to watch. It took Kathy a few days to respond after reading it. In the response, she said she “had better things to do then drink cheap wine and watch trash tv.”. Also to not message her on FB again. I physically saw the message to confirm it wasn’t some fake screenshot. I asked Nancy why she didn’t tell us about this and she said it would make the workplace hostile.

Brad also noted Kathy was a bitch and that I should just check out her Facebook. So I did and like before it's a very active and public account. Apparently, for months she's been posting status (Kathy's Tea) about our workplace. Sometimes venting, sometimes actually harmful statements. One that really bothered Brad was when she took creepshots of everyone and posted that he was a fat N-word (hard r), something about Tyler Perry. He only found this out because one of Kathy's FB friends sent it to him.

I was also not left out as she posted a direct photo from my own social media and captioned it that I'm a bottle redhead who sets feminist back. There was something about Nancy's Scandal night, but she called it for desperate soccer moms and wannabe stepford wives.

Brad said he didn't want to tell us because he went to HR and they haven't gotten back to him yet. That they said though it counts as cyber bullying, it's her social media BUT she had her phone on the work floor (against the rules).

So now I have all this information and confused on what to do. Kathy's been lying to me and very rude herself. But why would she lie to me? What her end game?

I have about 4 hours until my break with Kathy. Should I confront her?

Help i work with a sociopath

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

ok I didn't kill him but I stole his fancy utility knife when I kicked him out so there's still time for ironic revenge

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Werong Bustope posted:

why do you think he's an ex

:eyepop:

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

DOMDOM posted:

Coworker [25F] thinks we [22F] [20 - 30 F/M] are using "office politics" to bully her?

Help i work with a sociopath

i started sweating just reading this - the update tho. what a nutbar.

Streak fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 17, 2017

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Helios Grime posted:

Doing a heelturn at first sight of this was the only viable option and she missed it.

Now she is just another trophy.

So sad.

Only if she left her bra.
Unless these dudes just go out and buy a bra every time they gently caress (or every time they want their roommates to think they did.)

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Streak posted:

i started sweating just reading this - the update tho. what a nutbar.

I went from thinking what a dumb dumb she is to holy poo poo hopefully they can fire that loony.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I don't think I can handle this thread its either all fake or people are way worse than I ever expected and im pointing towards the later...

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Wendigee posted:

I don't think I can handle this thread its either all fake or people are way worse than I ever expected and im pointing towards the later...

OR you can appreciate your life and be thankfull you haven't met these crazies yourself (yet).

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Wendigee posted:

people are way worse than I ever expected

It's this, it's always this.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
As the "worst person" I can attest to this

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I can't believe that some of you think the dude jokingly holding up a swiss army knife was actually threatening his girlfriend. Was he going to jab her with the corkscrew? Or the toothpick?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Leon Einstein posted:

I can't believe that some of you think the dude jokingly holding up a swiss army knife was actually threatening his girlfriend. Was he going to jab her with the corkscrew? Or the toothpick?

Oh yeah, minimize it. How much damage could this blade do if it got jammed in your face?

Minimize the poo poo out of that threat. Awwww yeah.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Having any kind of sharp piece of metal shoved in your face during an argument isn't a good thing

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Leon Einstein posted:

nobody thinks the dude was gonna stab her bro, they just think that waving a knife in someone's face is a really lovely and dumb "joke" because unlike you they are not morons, hope this helps

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

Have you threatened someone with a knife in the past?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Leon Einstein posted:

It's you. You're the guy who pulls "pranks" that are totally psychopathic, aren't you??

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

*in an extremely nasally and Leon Einstein voice*

IT'S A PRANNNNNKKKKK!!!!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Leon Einstein posted:

completely harmless

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I still think you guys are overreacting; it's not like pointing a gun at someone where it could accidentally go off. It just sounded like the tone was just goofing around.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Leon Einstein posted:

I still think you guys are overreacting; it's not like pointing a gun at someone where it could accidentally go off. It just sounded like the tone was just goofing around.

You did this same "joke" literally to someone else didn't you?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Helios Grime posted:

You did this same "joke" literally to someone else didn't you?
No, but if my significant other held up a Swiss army knife and playfully told me to put down a cookie, I sure as gently caress wouldn't be crying about it.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
let's pursue this derail, see where it leads

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Leon Einstein posted:

yeah I guess you're right nobody ever accidentally hurts themselves or others with knives, right

also waving a weapon in someone's face is really loving rude and stupid you idiot

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
My girlfriend [27F] says that she can't stay with me [25M] if I don't study Philosophy

quote:

Hi guys,

me and my girlfriend have been together for almost 2 years. She studied Philosophy at university and every now and then she says that the fact that we never talk about that it's too much for her.
She wants from me that I often talk about existential questions with her and this is making her not feeling well about our relationship (it's not that I never ask questions to myself, but most of the time I simply don't express them). I'm even enrolling at university next year to study philosophy (I already have another degree in advertising), both because I'd like to do it for myself and also because we'd have much more things to discuss.

What should I do?

TL;DR: My gf says she can't stay with me if I don't study philosophy. I'm even going to enroll to a philosophy course next year.
Two days ago:

quote:

I just got fired
36 minutes ago:

quote:

In my resume, what can I write instead of 'intern'?

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Me [24 F] with my good friend [30 M] of a year, I feel uncomfortable with compliments and comments all the time

quote:

Throwaway since I don't want this on my regular account.

My friend and I work together and hang out outside of work atleast once a week, often involving a lot of alcohol. I've been in a relationship for 2.5 years with 29 M and I'm pretty serious about him. My friend knows this and is pretty encouraging when I tell him how I want to marry this guy and so on. However, it's important to note that as of a few months ago, my boyfriend moved away for a different job so we're currently LDR.

This may sound stupid, but I feel very uncomfortable by all the compliments my friend gives me. Every day when he sees me, he has comments on my clothes, jewellery, hair, etc. "Oh, that shirt looks really amazing on you!", "you are so beautiful!", etc. He's sometimes a bit touchy feely which I hate (I'm touchy feely too, but exclusively with my bf. I hate it when guys touch my leg/stroke my hair or any other innocent enough things) and I move myself away immediately and then he always stops. My impression is that he goes as far as possible to flirt with me, upto the point where he could not deny that he was hitting on me despite my boyfriend. He's also always staring at me with a pretty lovestruck look in his eyes. I cannot make eye contact in these situations and just feel very uncomfortable and start talking about something to break the gaze. The last time we were drinking, we were really drunk and he ended up staying over. He insisted a few times that I lie in bed with him "Don't worry, I won't touch you or anything, maybe we'll just hold hands". It's not like he was forcing me so I just insisted on sleeping on my couch and that was that. In the morning, I was told how beautiful I look. I think he did confess feelings for me that night too. Today he messaged me saying "did you want something or did you just miss me" when I asked him if he was at work yet. I haven't replied yet..

I guess the problem is that he is hitting on me without hitting on me directly, and I feel awful telling him to stop calling me beautiful and things like that. He considers me his best friend right now, so maybe it's just that he feels like our relationship is on that level that this is all ok. However, I feel like this crosses the line of how I would expect any friend to treat me, best friend or not.

So the question is, what do I do? Am I just whining too much about nothing?

tl;dr: I am this guy's best friend. He knows about my serious LDR but seems to go as far as possible with flirting with me without actually hitting on me. How do I make him stop without sounding mean and whiny? Am I wrong?
How are people this goddamn dense?

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Leon Einstein posted:

Sometimes when you goof around you go too far and upset someone. The likelihood of this is higher when a deadly weapon is involved, and any blade is a deadly weapon if you get someone in the wrong place.

The red flag here isn't the knife joke, it's his minimisation of her fear. It is rational to be afraid of deadly weapons pointed at you, even if the person behind them has no intent to harm. It is beyond a bad sign when someone refuses to engage with your feelings of fear in that situation.

I never cried when my ex pretended to stab me. I never even thought it was that big a deal, I just found it frustrating that he didn't get why I disliked it, but for the most part I laughed it off because he really, genuinely was not threatening me with violence, just being a dorky idiot. But it turns out that someone who cannot understand why holding a deadly weapon up to someone might upset them, even after being told? That person has some loving issues with respecting other people's emotions and bodily autonomy.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Werong Bustope posted:

Whoa, there! Way to bury the lede, you dirty privacy violator!

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Pick posted:

Oh, I forgot, I do have one framed piece of straight-up merchandise: a large, signed limited edition print of Meredith from Dragon Age II. It's in my bedroom so most people can't see it haha.

(And a signed image of G'Kar and Londo behind my bathroom door, but those were a gift.)

This is 10 pages ago and I'm sorry, but I want to express my intense jealousy and also where did you get it?

I made a display thing for the DA: Inquisition deck (I bought both and created one for playing cards with and another for displaying) but I haven't actually hung it up yet because we have both a cat and a baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I had to skip 1900 posts because the page long derails were horrible. but in a good way.