Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I still can't land a GB counter to save my life, but can reflex parry every single class. Which is great and all and leads to plenty of wins, but if someone just guard breaks me before they attack I'm helpless because I can't stick the counter. Ever.

Clearly the secret isn't the actual flash of the GB icon on the character model. And the problem isn't that I have bad timing, despite my aging reflexes. What's the timing, what am I missing? Is it the visual flash or the audio queue of their impact with your character model that I should be reacting to? I'm pretty solid with feinting and parrying and using guard breaks as a set up, but being left helpless by anyone who can press X before an attack is pretty demoralizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

is it just me or have the contract orders not reset today?

the 100 steel orders don't actually reset every day, it's every other day I think? whatever there's a timer next to them you can see yourself

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Pruney posted:

Lots of people have said controller is worse for this due to changing blocks quick and what not. There are more reasons but it seems from what I've seen KB and Mouse is better

I have found that lots of people think controller is better. So I spent 15 hours in the open beta switching back and fourth and in the end I liked the mouse. Then 20 hours in after launch I switched to the controller. Now I have 8 hours on the controller.

While some things are easier to do on the mouse, I found one problem that I really didn't like. When you are stunned, thrown, you dodge, or a number of other activities, your guard direction can not be changed. With a controller you can just hold in the direction you want and you will guard that direction as soon as you can. With a mouse during those activities no input is registered, so you have to keep moving the mouse until your char is able to get into that guard, or you time it and learn the exact moment when. While I am sure I could get used to this and overcome it, I found it was holding me back and I just didn't like that I had no tactile feel of how I was guarding.

Still working on it, but I still find it easy to react with a dodge with a keyboard, I don't have to take my fingers off the guard direction to do it.

my making GBS threads 2c.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

You paid $140 for Rainbow Six Siege?!

Over the course of a year and a bit, yeah? I've gotten more than my fair share of fun out of that. That's like two AAA titles and I've definitely played R6 a hell of a lot more than any recent AAA title I've played (I'm looking at you, Fallout 4!)

Also, 1500, stop changing your input method. You're gonna trash all the muscle memory you've built if you keep switching. I'd highly recommend staying with controller, it's much easier to play the game. Keyboard seems somewhat clunky compared to it. It's also great because it lets you sit back on the sofa and play it and get really comfortable.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 17, 2017

Nov 3, 2015

oh I know, the last 8 hours have been hell. I know what I want to do but god drat it I can't do it anymore. I was destroying people with Valk and now I am finding her so hard to play as. I am sticking with controller now.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

NeurosisHead posted:

Clearly the secret isn't the actual flash of the GB icon on the character model. And the problem isn't that I have bad timing, despite my aging reflexes. What's the timing, what am I missing? Is it the visual flash or the audio queue of their impact with your character model that I should be reacting to?

You have to trust your feelings.

(I'm trash at counter GB too)

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I have real trouble keeping track of events in Dominion - players disappear into the wash of soldiers, and jesus christ the red about-to-strike indicator is impossible to see if you're in the middle of a bunch of idiot red soldier guys.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the red icon goes gray for a split second

thats when to press

Qubee
May 31, 2013

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

So when is the patch that reverts GB to how they were in the beta coming out?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, I'm cancelling it, but the only way to cancel it is to do the full block stance, and that leaves you open to guard breaks.

And yeah, I did mean the full block stance, the name of it was just escaping me at the moment.

No dude you just cancel it with cancel

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

fadam posted:

So when is the patch that reverts GB to how they were in the beta coming out?

What was the difference?

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Berserker owns because it's basically playing as Thunder from KI only in third person.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

mellowjournalism posted:

No dude you just cancel it with cancel
Ah right I get what you mean. You can use the button that is usually used to feint (circle on the PS4) to cancel the charged heavy, even if it isn't technically a feint. If that's the case, I didn't know about so thanks :)

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

What was the difference?

From the patch notes:

Guardbreak Counter (All Heroes):
Currently you can’t counter a guardbreak during a guardbreak attempt. This will be return to the previous behavior seen in the Beta.

Other people are saying that they changed the timing. Those people are dumb and wrong and shouldn't be listened to.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Internet Kraken posted:

Unrelated; there are tons of people with fishing bobber emblems. I wonder why.

They're probably pokeballs

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nov 3, 2015

Anyone on PC that wants to practice GB? hit me up uplay theyear1500

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Guys I loaded up street fighter vs a max level training dummy.
I just blocked low, and switched up for overheads. Teaching throws 100% of the time. Literally impossible to break my defense.
Is street fighter a broken game, or should I call diago to issue a challenge?

Real talk- gently caress orochi. I've never seen a game in which the best character in the game at high level is also the best at children mashing buttons level too.
Warden is close second but at least his mix-up has escapes other than blind luck.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Double Monocle posted:

I just blocked low, and switched up for overheads. Teaching throws 100% of the time. Literally impossible to break my defense.

Thanks for bringing this back up we were all getting nostalgic already.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Double Monocle posted:

Real talk- gently caress orochi. I've never seen a game in which the best character in the game at high level is also the best at children mashing buttons level too.
Warden is close second but at least his mix-up has escapes other than blind luck.

You can't just mash buttons as Orochi, getting parried fucks you up big time. I've had games against certain players who manage to parry 8/10 of my attacks. It means I can't just go in with a flurry of blows like I do against a lower skilled opponent. I actually need to think about feints. And then when you start feinting, if the enemy knows you're starting to incorporate feints because his parrying is too good, it becomes a game of "Do I commit to this heavy attack cause he'll try to grab me thinking I'm gonna cancel into a feint, or do I feint and change attack direction, or feint and grab?" It's like an intense game of rock paper scissors with so many outcomes.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Loopoo posted:

You can't just mash buttons as Orochi, getting parried fucks you up big time. I've had games against certain players who manage to parry 8/10 of my attacks. It means I can't just go in with a flurry of blows like I do against a lower skilled opponent. I actually need to think about feints. And then when you start feinting, if the enemy knows you're starting to incorporate feints because his parrying is too good, it becomes a game of "Do I commit to this heavy attack cause he'll try to grab me thinking I'm gonna cancel into a feint, or do I feint and change attack direction, or feint and grab?" It's like an intense game of rock paper scissors with so many outcomes.

I really like that GIF of two wardens top feinting at each other like 3 times until one finally attacks and the other lands the warden special top parry light attack thing in response.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So how is the Warlord? Fun to play? He's probably the class I see the least of online and barely anyone talks about him as well.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

NeurosisHead posted:

I really like that GIF of two wardens top feinting at each other like 3 times until one finally attacks and the other lands the warden special top parry light attack thing in response.

It's super refreshing when you come against a guy that you are forced to feint against cause his parry game is too strong. Brings a whole new level of play to the game and it's so much more satisfying, even when you lose. Cause you know 100% that the guy drat well deserved the win.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

FunkMonkey posted:

My emblem reflects my passion:

This is truly wonderful. Great post.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Loopoo posted:

It's super refreshing when you come against a guy that you are forced to feint against cause his parry game is too strong. Brings a whole new level of play to the game and it's so much more satisfying, even when you lose. Cause you know 100% that the guy drat well deserved the win.

Can you parry light attacks?

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Exmond posted:

Yes you can.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Exmond posted:

You can parry every attack, fam. It's always funny when you parry someone's unblockable attack and they start moaning about how broken your character is and how the game is bugged. When that happens, I just say "yeah it's fun to exploit that bug" to make them even angrier.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

FunkMonkey posted:

My emblem reflects my passion:

Fantastic

Internet Kraken posted:

So how is the Warlord? Fun to play? He's probably the class I see the least of online and barely anyone talks about him as well.
Warlord Good. Crap range, middling damage but great defense and absolutely incredible throw range.
Shield charge and/or headbutt everyone into a pit

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Internet Kraken posted:

He's my main. Obviously, because of that, I think he's fun and I also think he's one of the stronger characters in the game. I've mostly played him and Warden and they feel kind of similar. Both have nice parries and an unblockable charge attack. Both are about the same speed.

I like the way Warlord plays. He has a lot of nice mixups and is great at stamina draining. Parry into shield bash into guardbreak into top heavy does a bunch of damage and usually drains all their stamina. Perfect Defense is good against unpredictable characters with fast light attacks. It's nice, for example, if you're against a Warden and you're not sure if they're going to top light or zone you.

His best move is probably the headbutt, which is unblockable and closes distance quickly. The special thing about it is that you can cancel it into a guard break once they start dodging. Super annoying to deal with.

He's also pretty good at throws, and you can actually alter the direction of his shield push, unlike Conqueror.

Anyways I like him a lot. He's good if you want a top tier fighter but also want something a little more unique than the legions of Orachis, PKs and Wardens.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Is parrying only timing or do you have to be in the same direction as the attack as well, kinda dumb question I guess

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Razzled posted:

Is parrying only timing or do you have to be in the same direction as the attack as well, kinda dumb question I guess

Your guard has to be in the same direction. Then right click when the attack is about to hit you (or when the "arrow" flashes)

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

He's fun and cool. You get some cool execution animations and equipment for him and the only real complaint I have with the class is that he's slow and awkward when it comes to clearing minions. Otherwise you can pull off some quick attacks while maintaining a good defense.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Any opinions or tips on Shogoki? Picked the game up last night and I love big slow characters and he seemed fun.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I don't understand why I win dominion and lose duels like every loving time

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
I just managed to loving readjust my muscle memory to the current GB timing and they change it back :gonk:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Never heard of this before but apparently throwing someone with berserker does a small amount of damage

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Thanks for bringing this back up we were all getting nostalgic already.

I already tried going against a lvl3 Orochi myself, easily 100%'d him after a couple of tries, and noticed immediately versus my first player Orochi afterwards that the bot never used a single mixup attack... which happen to be by far the hardest attacks to defend against. I even mentioned mixups earlier as being the best way to break through a turtle's defense as it is almost impossible to guess correctly on every single one. Maybe I'm bad and I have no idea what I'm talking about, but blocking a good Orochi 100% of the time seems to be about as difficult as doing the same versus a good Warden.

It's honestly pretty annoying that bots don't use those attacks because you can't properly practice dealing with them.

signalnoise posted:

The skill level of players in 4v4s is generally dramatically lower than 1v1s, I've found. Also, I think they have separate MMRs, which carried over from the beta. I was shocked at how skilled players seemed to be for the release, until I found out my prestige 2 beta MMR carried over to live.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

signalnoise posted:

My guess, based on my own matches, is that dominion attracts all sorts, whereas duels mostly attract good players, or at least players who are more competitive by nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

signalnoise posted:

Most of the people in dominion don't actually know how to fight.