Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, what is that song called? It was cute.

I Found You

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

Don't worry fam, I got you

Thanks for this endless source of joy

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Crazy Ferret posted:

Lewtoons is pretty cool. It may just be that "I have a type" and Chad is very much that type but I really enjoy his videos and the quality that goes into them. Also, his "I watch every animated movie of 2016" was a good way to keep me informed of some of the movies I had no reason to see, like the Ice Age or Norm of the North stuff. He seems pretty genuine and that goes a long way way with me. I hope you enjoy!

Oh it definitely helps that he's cute :3:

I binged a bunch of his videos this morning then subscribed. It's the perfect kind of chill coverage of a topic of interest to me, that I find Youtube really useful for. A bit like Arlo for Nintendo games. I enjoy that thoughtful approach where they put out 1 or 2 quality videos a week instead of daily, low-content crap.

And it's way better than following blogs in an RSS reader... I just don't have time for reading lots of articles anymore when I could instead put on a video at work, or while cooking, or whenever.

Don't worry though Unmature, you'll always be my number 1 toon-focused Youtuber :h:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/zootopia-filmmakers-spoof-la-la-land-hell-high-water-poster-parodies-977437

I'm loving all of these posters and I hope they continue on forever. Or at least until the next Zootopia movie.

Remember, muskiness is not a crime.

EDIT: https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2017/02/17/breaking-james-earl-jones-and-donald-glover-join-the-cast-of-the-lion-king/ Also this too.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/zootopia-filmmakers-spoof-la-la-land-hell-high-water-poster-parodies-977437

I'm loving all of these posters and I hope they continue on forever. Or at least until the next Zootopia movie.

Remember, muskiness is not a crime.

EDIT: https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2017/02/17/breaking-james-earl-jones-and-donald-glover-join-the-cast-of-the-lion-king/ Also this too.

Oh my. I hope Disney hires a spoof poster-maker full time for the rest of eternity.

Also holy poo poo Childish Gambino as Simba :swoon:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope they get JTT to reprise his role as young Simba.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I don't know how much spill-over we have between this thread and the WHM thread, but I'll leave this here for anyone who wants to hear four grown men disdainfully review Bee Movie.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

Oh my. I hope Disney hires a spoof poster-maker full time for the rest of eternity.

Also holy poo poo Childish Gambino as Simba :swoon:

On the one hand I'm happy because James Earl Jones and Donald Glover are both amazing actors (I'm really looking forward to hearing Glover sing can you Feel the Love tonight, I love that song and I love his voice).

On the other hand I'm confused because I'm having trouble imagining what a live action Lion King would be like. Will it have actual trained lions?

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

On the one hand I'm happy because James Earl Jones and Donald Glover are both amazing actors (I'm really looking forward to hearing Glover sing can you Feel the Love tonight, I love that song and I love his voice).

On the other hand I'm confused because I'm having trouble imagining what a live action Lion King would be like. Will it have actual trained lions?

It's going to be cgi animals, much like last year's jungle book. They're really stretching the limits of what can be called live action with this one.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

edit: i done messed up

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kitten Kisses posted:

It's going to be cgi animals, much like last year's jungle book. They're really stretching the limits of what can be called live action with this one.

Huh, yeah that seems like some pretty blatant false advertising.

I'm still gonna watch it though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It will be cgi carnivores but they will murder hundreds of real wildebeests on film to get the stampede scene just right :3:

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Don't worry though Unmature, you'll always be my number 1 toon-focused Youtuber :h:

:3:

World Famous W posted:

Yeah, I have shown your channel to a few of my friends, mostly for the Spielberg stuff. Good poo poo.

Aw man, thank you! That means so much.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 18, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Yeah, I have shown your channel to a few of my friends, mostly for the Spielberg stuff. Good poo poo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This is fabulous. I love that it makes him ungainly and slightly grotesque to really emphasize the damaging effects of his greed. I can only imagine how gorgeous all those swaying, glittering chains would've looked fully rendered and in motion.

Thank you, one of my only straight-up issues with Tamatoa's design, that I think extends a little beyond "preference", is that his being shiny seems like a very good move on his part. He doesn't seem to be affected in any negative way by his decor. In fact, it helps him catch fish easily, and it makes him look super appealing and awesome. He "shouldn't be murderous", but since he is a monster in the land of monsters, it seems probable that he might have been anyway? (monster crab racism) So the question is: why not be greedy? The only very, very tenuously implied downside is it negatively affecting his relationship with Maui (see tumblr for details).

So really, is there any negative effect as such for Tamatoa shiny-ing himself? Based on his design, not at all really :shrug:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The new Lion King movie is just a remake, movie sites!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Pick posted:

Thank you, one of my only straight-up issues with Tamatoa's design, that I think extends a little beyond "preference", is that his being shiny seems like a very good move on his part. He doesn't seem to be affected in any negative way by his decor. In fact, it helps him catch fish easily, and it makes him look super appealing and awesome. He "shouldn't be murderous", but since he is a monster in the land of monsters, it seems probable that he might have been anyway? (monster crab racism) So the question is: why not be greedy? The only very, very tenuously implied downside is it negatively affecting his relationship with Maui (see tumblr for details).

So really, is there any negative effect as such for Tamatoa shiny-ing himself? Based on his design, not at all really :shrug:

I think the suggestion the film makes is that his inability to turn himself back over is due to the shiny, but it's not clear. If you know crab biology it also explains why his leg hasn't grown back.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fangz posted:

I think the suggestion the film makes is that his inability to turn himself back over is due to the shiny, but it's not clear. If you know crab biology it also explains why his leg hasn't grown back.

I know that decapods molt as they grow, but that's going to be determined by how much he eats, not whether he has anything on the exterior (decapods often develop barnacles on their shells but it doesn't stop the molt). And then he could just re-position that stuff on his new shell after it hardens. I maintain that, if anything, the gluttony that his shininess facilitates would only hasten the process of regenerating into a newer, bigger, better coconut crab on the reg

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Pick posted:

I know that decapods molt as they grow, but that's going to be determined by how much he eats, not whether he has anything on the exterior (decapods often develop barnacles on their shells but it doesn't stop the molt). And then he could just re-position that stuff on his new shell after it hardens. I maintain that, if anything, the gluttony that his shininess facilitates would only hasten the process of regenerating into a newer, bigger, better coconut crab on the reg

I meant that my understanding is that he's electing not to molt because it would involve discarding his shell. And this is sorta thematic to the film being about people developing and not being attached to false notions of who they are. Like, he's intended to be a mirror of Maui, in that the shell - like Maui's fishhook, gives him tangible benefits but also holds him back.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 18, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fangz posted:

I meant that my understanding is that he's electing not to molt because it would involve discarding his shell. And this is sorta thematic to the film being about people developing and not being attached to false notions of who they are. Like, he's intended to be a mirror of Maui, in that the shell - like Maui's fishhook, gives him tangible benefits but also holds him back.

Oh, don't worry, I was just :spergin: about crabs for fun, I do think that could be an interpretation but the film probably would need to indicate it more clearly.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
By the way, LEGO Batman's budget was only $80mil. That's crazy :eyepop:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Lego sets have never been cheap.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Schwarzwald posted:

Lego sets have never been cheap.

For an animated film, that's cheap. And it turns out the first LEGO movie had a budget of only $60mil! Nuts. Toy Story 3's was $200 million, and that was seven years ago.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Yeah, even thought the effect of making it look like janky stop motion is impressive, I guess it's cheap. The characters are static, but move a lot. But they drop a lot of frames that probably cuts down on rendering time. And with everything built out of "Lego bricks" they probably just model every Lego brick that exists and it cuts way down on modeling and design.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Honestly, they could have just modeled every brick from the get-go and still been ahead. LEGO could even have sent them the specs for each.

You also save a certain amount of time/money on design, since you know your character's base model, for instance.

And no rendering hair or fur :iamafag:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Pick posted:

By the way, LEGO Batman's budget was only $80mil. That's crazy :eyepop:

Budgets for CGI films have a huge range. Angry Birds, Pets, and Sing were all cheaper than $80m, while Finding Dory cost more than twice that amount. Of course, Hollywood accounting practices and marketing expenses often make it difficult to determine the true costs of a film.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pick posted:

Honestly, they could have just modeled every brick from the get-go and still been ahead. LEGO could even have sent them the specs for each.

You also save a certain amount of time/money on design, since you know your character's base model, for instance.

And no rendering hair or fur :iamafag:

Presumably they would have done that for the original Lego Movie. It's a good thing these movies have been as good as they have, because as cheap as they are to make and with as many assets they can reuse, we're likely getting quite a few more of them.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wonder how underpaid LEGO Batman’s animators were

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fantastic Cheetahs and Where to Find Them is, well, fantastic.

Pick posted:

You know, I actually like the message of "gently caress it, just be yourself" that it implies. Dude just wants to be fabulous.

Its his other foibles--he's just a huge jerk--that are bad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Vegetable posted:

Wonder how underpaid LEGO Batman’s animators were

Like, industry standard underpaid or extra-cripplingly underpaid?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Pick posted:

I like your design, but I'm not sure why you think there needs to be a downside, just because?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Villains don't need a flaw. Scar for instance was Literally Flawless

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

It still amazes me that How To Train Your Dragon 2 cost like 20 million less than the first one.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Hedrigall posted:

Villains don't need a flaw. Scar for instance was Literally Flawless

I believe you will find that he was cowardly, weak and (worst of all) an intellectual.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Magnus Condomus posted:

It still amazes me that How To Train Your Dragon 2 cost like 20 million less than the first one.

They just didn't pay for any writers.

No, I just don't remember anything abuot HTTYD 2 except it had a pirate, and dragons fighting over which one would be Alpha or some bullshit, and also the kid's mom came back after abandoning him. Oh, and the dad doing his thing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Drifter posted:

They just didn't pay for any writers.

No, I just don't remember anything abuot HTTYD 2 except it had a pirate, and dragons fighting over which one would be Alpha or some bullshit, and also the kid's mom came back after abandoning him. Oh, and the dad doing his thing.

It has a really good song they refused to commit to and interrupt halfway through

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'll say it again, the biggest problem with HTTYD2 was they had the funeral scene at the WORST point in the movie. It's impossible to get caught up in that scene and take it in at all cause you want them to just hurry up and save Toothless

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

I'll say it again, the biggest problem with HTTYD2 was they had the funeral scene at the WORST point in the movie. It's impossible to get caught up in that scene and take it in at all cause you want them to just hurry up and save Toothless

I thought the biggest problem was that it was literally taking every negative pre-conception of dragons Hiccup had worked on proving wrong and reversing it all point by point?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I thought the biggest problem was that it was literally taking every negative pre-conception of dragons Hiccup had worked on proving wrong and reversing it all point by point?

Sequel Syndrome. They seriously tend to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

CeallaSo posted:

I believe you will find that he was cowardly, weak and (worst of all) an intellectual.

Lets not forget that he consorted with the wrong kind of animals.