Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Captain Duvel posted:

I need a pair of pants that doesn't blow apart in the crotch. Both pairs of my Dickies have terrible holes now within a year.

Pants need to be all black and no extra pockets. They are for work, inside where I do bending, lifting etc. Found Carhartt on Amazon which are $40, which I wouldn't mind spending but I need them to last.

I'm not a tradie, and I live in Europe where carhartt are a fashion brand. But my carhartt pants that I bought before they became a thing here have been a champ. Even the hole that I managed to get in there hasn't grown at all in 2 years of nearly weekly wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Captain Duvel posted:

I need a pair of pants that doesn't blow apart in the crotch. Both pairs of my Dickies have terrible holes now within a year.

Pants need to be all black and no extra pockets. They are for work, inside where I do bending, lifting etc. Found Carhartt on Amazon which are $40, which I wouldn't mind spending but I need them to last.

Can't go wrong with Carhartt. That poo poo is invincible.

IIRC Dickies used to be a respectable brand, but Walmart fuckery reduced them to "cheap poo poo you'll wear once or twice, then it falls apart."

Yeah, Carhartt is a bit more expensive, but I know people who have passed Carhartt stuff on to their kids and it was still in great shape despite decades of regular use.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Captain Duvel posted:

You may consider one of the 'tactical' branded pants

5.11 makes good pants , TDU would ever a good starting point. And they all generally have ripstop

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don't have the exact name on me but I bought some Carhartt work pants that are thin and have some sort of weave in them.
They will take me through the apocalypse, for sure.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I dunno if it's the style you need/want but Duluth Trading Co has some pretty good pants, albeit kinda baggy

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
I have been wearing some Riggs Workware(Wrangler's workware line). I like them so far. Like the Duluth pants they have the crotch gusset.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Jose posted:

i've asked for a quote on installation of a proper unit that only does 1 room which is about £400 which will impact my decision heavily.

In the mean time I went for teh Ikea Markus and I really like it and am glad i didn't spend more

If you are going to look into installation maybe also think about one cut into wall. Leaves window use able.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Thanks for all the replies!

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
For those of you asking about bags, I'd like to recommend basically everything by Peak Design, especially their Everyday Messenger Bag. It's a really slick looking bag in either 13" or 15" inch sizes, it can hold tons of stuff, has a dedicated laptop slot, padded strap, and it was designed by a team of photographers so it has some neat photog features (can't remember which of you was looking specifically for something like this). I've been using mine every day now for about two years and it's in just as perfect condition now as it was when I got it. I've since purchased the Everyday Tote as well.

They have a backpack too which everyone seems to love, though I personally have no use for one.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
1. Even though we are slowly crawling towards spring, I have a sunlight deficit and SAD is really beginning to takes its toll.

Do any of those sunlight gadgets actually work?

2. I have sinus congestion and/or headaches approximately 400 days a year, and the best thing for both is heat.
Sitting in the shower for hours is untenable, and those wimpy gel things don't stay warm long enough. Traditional heating pads work, but can be tough to position.

Help me put hot stuff on my face!

3. Looking for a pillow that will allow me to sleep, or at least relax, face down without suffocating.

Recommendations:
Uniqlo Airism shirts are the best undershirt, but I prefer ex-officio boxers.

Natural latex mattresses are amazing.

Get a floofy comforter from Warm Things.

Sterilite makes a series of latching clear storage boxes in various sizes that are all stackable, and now my closet is tamed and looks awesome.

I think the OXO cookie flipper spatula is the best size and you can use the scraping edge to make really good scrambled eggs.

100watt equivalent Led bulbs can really brighten up your house, even if the sockets are rated for 60 watts.

I like Tom's of Maine deodorant because it doesn't inhibit sweating, but does inhibit smell. Also, the lemongrass scent wakes me up in the morning.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Are you taking any D3 supplements?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
For sinus congestion and headaches, try going to an allergist. Mine put me on singulair and allergy shots and now I get significantly fewer sinus headaches. Changed my life.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Solid Cake posted:

For those of you asking about bags, I'd like to recommend basically everything by Peak Design, especially their Everyday Messenger Bag. It's a really slick looking bag in either 13" or 15" inch sizes, it can hold tons of stuff, has a dedicated laptop slot, padded strap, and it was designed by a team of photographers so it has some neat photog features (can't remember which of you was looking specifically for something like this). I've been using mine every day now for about two years and it's in just as perfect condition now as it was when I got it. I've since purchased the Everyday Tote as well.

They have a backpack too which everyone seems to love, though I personally have no use for one.

Seconding this. I've had mine almost 2 years, and it still looks brand new even though I've taken it on punishing shoots in the mountains, snow, and summer.

drat thing can expand to fit a quad, or carry a fuckload of lenses. You can even buy what they call a capture clip to holster a body on the side of the bag (mirrorless is ideal here)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Etrips posted:

Are you taking any D3 supplements?

Yep.

Joburg posted:

For sinus congestion and headaches, try going to an allergist. Mine put me on singulair and allergy shots and now I get significantly fewer sinus headaches. Changed my life.

This is after the allergist has done all he can. My sinuses are the best argument against intelligent design.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
If you feel like your keys aren't rad and cool enough, consider the Keyport Slide 3.0. It is awesome and makes your keys take up less space whole adding functionality. It's also pretty expensive! I love it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

I dunno if it's the style you need/want but Duluth Trading Co has some pretty good pants, albeit kinda baggy

Yea, they are baggy as hell but once you try gusseted pants you can never go back.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

signalnoise posted:

If you feel like your keys aren't rad and cool enough, consider the Keyport Slide 3.0. It is awesome and makes your keys take up less space whole adding functionality. It's also pretty expensive! I love it.

Oh dang that is cool. If I carried my keys in my pocket, I'd buy one right now.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Are Leatherman multitools still the go to for multitools? Or is there a fancier version out there.

Mushinronsha
Apr 14, 2006

Please do not feed poinsettias to animals, its not good for them and I dont want PI to yell at me.

Beachcomber posted:

2. I have sinus congestion and/or headaches approximately 400 days a year, and the best thing for both is heat.
Sitting in the shower for hours is untenable, and those wimpy gel things don't stay warm long enough. Traditional heating pads work, but can be tough to position.

Help me put hot stuff on my face!

https://smile.amazon.com/TheraPearl...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Anybody have opinions about toasters and/or ice cream makers?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have the Cuisinart 2-quart ICE-30BC, and it's very very good and has been reliable so far. However, there's now a much more expensive version that cools itself instead of requiring you to cool the bowl ahead of time. If you have shittons of money, the latter would be handy, if not then go for the former.

My father has the Kitchenaid ice cream attachment for his mixer which also works great but doesn't produce quite as much (volume).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

Anybody have opinions about toasters and/or ice cream makers?

Are you looking for slot toasters or open to toaster ovens as well?

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beachcomber posted:

sinuses

This pressurized, neti-pot style thingamabob makes life easier to deal with when the cedar pollen is wreaking havoc. It's saved me from medication many times.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Comatoast posted:

This pressurized, neti-pot style thingamabob makes life easier to deal with when the cedar pollen is wreaking havoc. It's saved me from medication many times.

Agreed. If I can catch it early enough I can sometime avoid a sinus infections by keeping things clear enough to avoid stuff getting gross. I use it in conjunction with Flonase and possibly sudafed when necessary.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

I have the Cuisinart 2-quart ICE-30BC, and it's very very good and has been reliable so far. However, there's now a much more expensive version that cools itself instead of requiring you to cool the bowl ahead of time. If you have shittons of money, the latter would be handy, if not then go for the former.

My father has the Kitchenaid ice cream attachment for his mixer which also works great but doesn't produce quite as much (volume).

The self cooling ones also make amazing frozen drinks.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

bongwizzard posted:

The self cooling ones also make amazing frozen drinks.

The Cuisinart one with the freezer bowl comes with a list of recipes for frozen drinks (haven't tried them yet though), though I don't think the Kitchenaid one did. That said, I think one that can keep a temperature consistent is good for if you are hosting a party, for example, and people want to top off as they go without the drinks getting too runny.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

The Cuisinart one with the freezer bowl comes with a list of recipes for frozen drinks (haven't tried them yet though), though I don't think the Kitchenaid one did. That said, I think one that can keep a temperature consistent is good for if you are hosting a party, for example, and people want to top off as they go without the drinks getting too runny.

In my limited experience the self freezing ones don't really make drinks fast enough to serve more than two or three people, and even then you're going to have to alternate with beers or something or you wait for each new round of daiquiris. I mainly prefer them over the freezer bowl models because then I can start making drinks with much less notice.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Comatoast posted:

Thanks! This works much better than the neti pot. Water would just go in my nose and stop.

I think I need this yesterday.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Can anyone recommend decent audio transcription software? I'm aware that it won't be 100% accurate. I have a bunch of genealogy interviews I need transcribed and I'm comparing the time and costs of software versus hiring a professional or service.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Are you looking for slot toasters or open to toaster ovens as well?

Probably a slot toaster. I've been disappointed in every toaster oven I've ever encountered.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

m.hache posted:

Are Leatherman multitools still the go to for multitools? Or is there a fancier version out there.

Personally I find the Victorinox ones far better quality and better designed, but they are also significantly more expensive.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

Probably a slot toaster. I've been disappointed in every toaster oven I've ever encountered.

To start with The Sweet Home recommendations, they recommend an Oster model that's about $30 for a two-slot model. They also have a 4 slot recommendation if you want to spend $70.

I have their pick for toaster oven, and quite frankly, it's amazing. Small footprint so it doesn't take up too much space. Can toast 4 slices of bread at once. Heats up quickly for quick baking (I've done pizza rolls, cookies, chicken nuggets, and more). My only gripe with it is the baking temperatures aren't US standard. Fahrenheit is listed but you can only choose 320 instead of 325. Or 355 instead of 350. Not a huge deal but everything else is so good I don't mind.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Thwomp posted:

To start with The Sweet Home recommendations, they recommend an Oster model that's about $30 for a two-slot model. They also have a 4 slot recommendation if you want to spend $70.

I have their pick for toaster oven, and quite frankly, it's amazing. Small footprint so it doesn't take up too much space. Can toast 4 slices of bread at once. Heats up quickly for quick baking (I've done pizza rolls, cookies, chicken nuggets, and more). My only gripe with it is the baking temperatures aren't US standard. Fahrenheit is listed but you can only choose 320 instead of 325. Or 355 instead of 350. Not a huge deal but everything else is so good I don't mind.

I recently purchased Breville's mini smart oven to replace my long departed $20 Black and Decker and so far it's been quite good. Very easy to clean, flexible in rack heights and temperatures and for once the cooking time listed on packages closely matches the oven's performance.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

queserasera posted:

Can anyone recommend decent audio transcription software? I'm aware that it won't be 100% accurate. I have a bunch of genealogy interviews I need transcribed and I'm comparing the time and costs of software versus hiring a professional or service.

I don't know how computer-literate you are, but two pretty big open-source powerhouses in speech recognition in academia are CMU Sphinx and Kaldi.

Sphinx is more user-friendly/application-based, while Kaldi is basically targeted towards researchers and can be more difficult to set up and use if you don't know what you're doing. That being said, I'm not sure if it's even possible to get access to better speech recognition software than what Kaldi offers, even among the big tech giants. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about that. I have used both.

Also, a request of my own: I'm looking to buy a decent coffee maker. My main requirements are that it can be set on a timer, can make a full pot, and is also capable of making like 16oz and not be noticeably worse. I don't need absolute peak quality, since I've got a pourover, french press, and aeropress if I really care, but all the super cheap coffee makers I've owned in the past are just awful and I don't want that.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

My girlfriend is really into tea and her favorite teapot shattered after my brother accidentally dropped it. The one she had was a vintage German design and looked like this (not my photo):

So I'm looking for something with a similar style to replace it. Hopefully not more than $50. Ebay is certainly an option, but I'd like to get her something new if possible.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Chip McFuck posted:

My girlfriend is really into tea and her favorite teapot shattered after my brother accidentally dropped it. The one she had was a vintage German design and looked like this (not my photo):

So I'm looking for something with a similar style to replace it. Hopefully not more than $50. Ebay is certainly an option, but I'd like to get her something new if possible.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/468175...98887:468175394

https://www.etsy.com/listing/266525...ulated%20teapot

After actually reading your post, maybe this is not massively helpful, but have these links anyway.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Phthisis posted:

queserasera posted:

I don't know how computer-literate you are, but two pretty big open-source powerhouses in speech recognition in academia are CMU Sphinx and Kaldi.

Sphinx is more user-friendly/application-based, while Kaldi is basically targeted towards researchers and can be more difficult to set up and use if you don't know what you're doing. That being said, I'm not sure if it's even possible to get access to better speech recognition software than what Kaldi offers, even among the big tech giants. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about that. I have used both.

IBM's Waton has an API for speech to text:
https://www.ibm.com/watson/developercloud/speech-to-text.html

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Hey, that recurring topic: PILLOWS

I just got my kickstarter pillow in yesterday, from that Purple company with the stupid ads. It is amazing. I kind of want to get one of their beds now. I have terrible shoulder tension and pain all the drat time, and I slept on this pillow and woke up with significantly less shoulder pain than the night before. I also get to sleep more easily, and the pillow didn't get hot. The material they use is like those stretchy jelly sticky hand things you can get out of capsule machines, except not sticky, and it's a grid instead of a solid brick so it has room to deform around your head, and it instantly goes back to its original shape after you get up. It's some amazing poo poo. It's expensive, but amazing.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

I did not know this had been publicly released yet. IBM's speech recognition is generally state-of-the-art performance. Oddly enough, I've actually heard bad things about their Watson products (from people in non-machine learning fields), but if they're using their top ASR systems it should be good and probably easier than just about anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Comatoast posted:

These are great, and can also double as a colonic irrigation/douche device too.