Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The real shame is we never got a bomberman 0-2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Bomberman is fun but I would really like to see another game like Bomberman 64 with an adventure campaign. The other N64 ones were just ok in comparison.

Generations was pretty good tho.

I love Bomberman 64 and wish there were more Mario 64 rip off games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
are we talking bomberman 64 or bomberman hero

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The entire N64 and PS1 library wasn't enough already?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Mak0rz posted:

The first one, yeah.

Honestly everything about this game is kind of a miserable experience. Would this series have even taken off if it weren't for the Disney and Final Fantasy fan service?

Are you playing the remaster? I think that is meant to fix some of the janky camera controls.

Kh1 is ok imo but I don't think it's aged very well as there are now far better action games. I dig it though, it has a nice fairytale tone to the whole story, the way you manage your skills is neat, and the non Disney levels all have really nice art direction. Everything that came after doubled down on the anime and is garbage though; I think the plot of kh3 is about killing a team of different copies of the bad guy from kh2, and it has time travel in it?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

please don't imply that croc and gex are clones of a good game

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Uh, I dunno which Bomberman 64 you played but the one I love can't possibly be considered a "Mario 64 rip off"

Red Bones posted:

Are you playing the remaster? I think that is meant to fix some of the janky camera controls.

The original. I heard the Final Mix HD version fixed up a lot of poo poo, but I don't have a PS4 oh well.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

In Training posted:

I recently went through my old collection of Nintendo Powers and there are so many 3d platformers that I completely forgot about. I could name a dozen off the top of my head and still barely scratch the surface.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
GLOVER

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
From russia with glove

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

If you thought Turok's fog and draw distance were bad, whoo boy.

Edit: I'm looking at screenshots of Glover and... it's not foggy at all?? What the hell am I remembering???

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

tap my mountain posted:

I recently went through my old collection of Nintendo Powers and there are so many 3d platformers that I completely forgot about. I could name a dozen off the top of my head and still barely scratch the surface.

It's ironic that once consoles added two joysticks and solved the problem of camera control in 3D platformers the genre died the following week

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

It's ironic that once consoles added two joysticks and solved the problem of camera control in 3D platformers the genre died the following week

Kingdom Hearts still used the shoulder buttons for camera controls lmao.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Mak0rz posted:

Edit: I'm looking at screenshots of Glover and... it's not foggy at all?? What the hell am I remembering???

Glover's draw distance was pretty bad, yeah.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

In Training posted:

I'm glad the platforming boom ended and finally gave way to a better genre, WW2 shooters.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Maybe glover running in an emulator

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

tap my mountain posted:

I'm glad the platforming boom ended and finally gave way to a better genre, WW2 shooters.

And after that, gritty mature reboots of a ridiculous classic.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ekster posted:

And after that, gritty mature reboots of a ridiculous classic.

Nah the genre that slots into that space is definitely Open World Game

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Was there a PC version?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

tap my mountain posted:

Time for WW2 shooters to make a comeback, imho

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Cyron posted:

the "hype" for bomberman R may be the saddest thing ever. it a bomberman game made by konami but the switch thread is hyping it up because it the only launch title on the system that is exclusive and not a casual mini game.

lol gently caress off

raditts posted:

lmao, seriously? I need a link or something to this.

From Wikipedia:

quote:

Although Namco has officially given the character of the original Dig Dug the name Dig Dug, in other games where he makes an appearance, the protagonist goes by the name Taizo Hori (in Japanese order, HORI Taizo), and is the father of Susumu Hori, the main character in the Mr. Driller series. He is also the ex-husband of Toby "Kissy" Masuyo, the heroine of Baraduke. His name is a pun on the Japanese phrase "Horitai zo" (掘りたいぞ) or "I want to dig!" (掘り = dig, たい = want, ぞ = !) – a similar pun might be rendered in English as "Will Dig" or "Wanda (Want To) Dig". Many American gamers learned of his real name via the Nintendo DS game Mr. Driller Drill Spirits, where he is also a playable character. He is additionally featured in an unlockable gallery of Mr. Driller items in Mr. Driller 2. In the Mr. Driller series, Hori is known as the "Hero of the Dig Dug Incident". In Japan, he is also the Hero of the South Island incident and is the honorary chairman of the Driller Council to whom most of the characters answer. This contrasts greatly with the PC remake Dig Dug Deeper, where the hero is simply named Dig Dug.

It's not mentioned here but Dig Doug's motivation in the game Dig Dug Digging Strike is to regain his lost glory and show up his son, whom everyone expects to save the day. He seems very bitter and it's all very lol.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Where my 1812 shooters at? Burning down The White House would be really cathartic these days.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Aw yeah, get hosed Artorius.

Berseria is done.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Just spent a while playing as Savant in Copy Kitty, and heyo - he's a lot of fun to play! I initially thought he was a mess, given that you have to manually set where your weapons aim from, but - no! it really works as a nicely seamless way to focus on dodging while juggling your weapons, and he gets some completely bonkers combos, like anything with the drill. :getin:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

As a general question to the thread, what game were you best at? It doesn't need to be like professional level play or being a speedrunner, but everyone's had their obsessions throughout gaming. What game absorbed your time and you wanted to master in your own way?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I ask because I'm currently in the process of trying to get actually good at Guilty Gear after 200 hours of kinda figuring it out and now I realize how deep this rabbit hole goes. It's so much fun still being this involved after so long

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

In Training posted:

As a general question to the thread, what game were you best at? It doesn't need to be like professional level play or being a speedrunner, but everyone's had their obsessions throughout gaming. What game absorbed your time and you wanted to master in your own way?

While I'm not the kind of player who goes out of her way to master games, I have spent a ton of time with jrpgs, so:

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. Spent over a hundred hours in it, got the true ending, brought a team of angels and Flauros to the final bosses. drat fine game, and I'd happily go back into it for another go.

As for games I've actually had to practice at, I've put time into the Touhous and Crimson Clover World Ignition! I'm not good at them, haven't beaten them, but they're fun enough to compel me back to practice and see if I can't get any better at them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

While I'm not the kind of player who goes out of her way to master games, I have spent a ton of time with jrpgs, so:

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. Spent over a hundred hours in it, got the true ending, brought a team of angels and Flauros to the final bosses. drat fine game, and I'd happily go back into it for another go.

As for games I've actually had to practice at, I've put time into the Touhous and Crimson Clover World Ignition! I'm not good at them, haven't beaten them, but they're fun enough to compel me back to practice and see if I can't get any better at them.

Yeah shmups have always fascinated me and I tried to 1CC Mushihumesame for about a week or two of playing sporadically before stopping. I feel like someday I'll just lose myself in it for like a month and figure the genre out but for now it's measured respect

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

In Training posted:

Soldier Front lol

It was a lovely counter strike ripoff that I played in middle school and for some reason I was really good at it. I used to win matches by singlehandedly killing all the members of the enemy team. It was a bad game and I don't know why I got so good at it but I've never been that good at anything since.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I used to be extremely good at Red Dead Redemption multiplayer, but that was more muscle memory than skill.

I got decent at marvel vs capcom 3, but only so far as I could execute some combos on command and play decently online. I had a pretty mean super skrull that would carry me through many comebacks.

I'm pretty good at soul calibur and made it to the finals at a small local tournament, but I got destroyed when I tried playing in a tournament here on SA.

Oh and the earliest game I remember getting "good" at was Gunz :laffo:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

In Training posted:

Guitar Hero/Rock Band. I have at one point had 5 stars on Expert on every song in every one of these games because they are just so drat fun and unique. I got the 5 gold stars (100%) on every song in Guitar Hero 2 and I was very proud of myself. The game celebrates this feat by giving you a guitar that's a log and tells you that they hope the log guitar will make up for all the friends you have lost.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

In Training posted:

Yeah shmups have always fascinated me and I tried to 1CC Mushihumesame for about a week or two of playing sporadically before stopping. I feel like someday I'll just lose myself in it for like a month and figure the genre out but for now it's measured respect

Yeah, they're like fighting games in that you have to really study them to get good at them - you're not just learning all the right patterns and how to handle bosses, but you're perfecting your reflexes and mastery of the game's controls and mechanics - which is really cool! JRPGS by contrast are learning the systems and memorizing what does what, so you can apply the right solutions to every fight (or bring something with high enough stats so it doesn't matter), and I love that - a soothing, usually story-heavy kind of puzzle solving.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm good at platformers but I guess it's kind of a worthless genre to be good at since it's all single player. I guess I can brag about getting the super meat boy platinum trophy at least???

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CJacobs posted:

Guitar Hero/Rock Band. I have at one point had 5 stars on Expert on every song in every one of these games because they are just so drat fun and unique. I got the 5 gold stars (100%) on every song in Guitar Hero 2 and I was very proud of myself. The game celebrates this feat by giving you a guitar that's a log and tells you that they hope the log guitar will make up for all the friends you have lost.

I loved that in the original Guitar Hero, after you beat the campaign, the hint on the next loading screen you see tells you to buy a real guitar.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

haveblue posted:

I loved that in the original Guitar Hero, after you beat the campaign, the hint on the next loading screen you see tells you to buy a real guitar.

I recall very fondly that the achievement for 5-starring every song in Guitar Hero 2 on Expert is "Just Start a Real Band Already" :allears:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm good at platformers but I guess it's kind of a worthless genre to be good at since it's all single player. I guess I can brag about getting the super meat boy platinum trophy at least???

That's cool too, beating a system is a feat no matter what.

Also now that you mentioned rock band, I have to say Rock Band 2 because I 5 starred nearly every song on expert drums

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The game I was probably best at was Quake 3. I got to the point where I could join any given online game and place I the upper half of the scoreboard. So relative to good players I wasn't great but relative to how good I was at other games I was pretty great.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

i'm really good at nuclear throne 😎

also i cleared gx's story mode on very hard

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

In Training posted:

Dota 1, but I'm pretty bad now. Just can't keep up with the meta and all my friends stopped playing, and playing with randos is pretty infuriating. I watch the ~pro dota~ player interviews and that was basically me, but I never really played outside of pub games.

Also Dark Souls 1, I 100%'d it but was at like ng+7 by the time I got every achievement and that poo poo was tough. DkS2 didn't grab me at all, I haven't finished Dks3 but Bloodborne is consuming all of my time now. I'm trying to hold off on Nioh until it goes on sale at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

oddium posted:

also i cleared gx's story mode on very hard

Extremely powerful.

• Locked thread