Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MrJacobs posted:

He did, she was driving though and they didn't gently caress. And there was a shitton of CGI (mostly removing wires, and giant gently caress off Duststorms. And the Citadel)So now you can enjoy the movie for how it is.

It did need the Interceptor to survive though :(

It didn't survive The Road Warrior either :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Hopefully this isn't too subtle.

no ring

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Lol

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

El Burbo posted:

The Thing 2011 might have been cool if they used all the neat effects that got made instead of scrapping them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBzpT7VmSaU

Didn't the folks behind the practical effects decide to go off and prove those darn execs wrong and make their own horror movie that'll be totally great, only for it to be a... well, the kind of horror movie you'll get when you use effects better suited for Power Rangers?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Didn't the folks behind the practical effects decide to go off and prove those darn execs wrong and make their own horror movie that'll be totally great, only for it to be a... well, the kind of horror movie you'll get when you use effects better suited for Power Rangers?

Yes, because in the end The Thing 2011 still had a good director and was filled with great actors, especially Mary Elizabeth Windstead and the guy playing Lars (one of the Norwegian guys trying to kill the dog in The Thing 1982).

The MSJ has a new favorite as of 05:57 on Feb 22, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MisterBibs posted:

I'm pretty sure the problem with Harbinger Down was that it was special effects people making a whole movie with one actor and just a bunch of random dudes, on a Kickstarter budget

But even still, better RT score than the The Thing remake

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm pretty sure the problem with Harbinger Down was that it was special effects people making a whole movie with one actor and just a bunch of random dudes, on a Kickstarter budget

Yeah, that's kinda my point. Never trust effects grunts (effects grunts who think Rita Repulsa's newest monster is appropriate for a Thing movie, no less) to make a movie.

Not surprised by the higher RT score, to be honest. As HD teaches us, some people will excuse anything if it's got rubber and KY.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The interceptor gets a harsh dicking in the mad max videogame, too, but he manages to get it to limp to the beginning of fury road.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah, that's kinda my point. Never trust effects grunts (effects grunts who think Rita Repulsa's newest monster is appropriate for a Thing movie, no less) to make a movie.

Not surprised by the higher RT score, to be honest. As HD teaches us, some people will excuse anything if it's got rubber and KY.

Oh gently caress, I forgot that you're that weirdo who thinks the original The Thing has bad effects and is riddled with plot holes.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Data Graham posted:

I enjoyed that they got to play around with a new character archetype, the ditzy hunky eye-candy brainless male secretary.

If by ditzy you mean "functionally retarded". Didn't that character not know how telephones work or something?

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

these loss edits are getting way too abstract

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Imagined posted:

A few pages late but the worst thing about Last Week Tonight was that it killed the classic version of The Bugle podcast, which at its peak was much funnier. I mean, who's going to turn down hosting the Daily Show and then one's own HBO flagship in favor of a podcast, but drat. Andy sounds better now with his retooled version, but for a while without John he sounded so depressed. It's too bad John couldn't bring him along for the fame ride, but let's just say that Andy has a face fit for audio.

gently caress you, Chris.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gromit posted:

If by ditzy you mean "functionally retarded". Didn't that character not know how telephones work or something?

He was dumb beyond belief but not in a very funny way.

Even Lloyd Christmas can operate simple every day devices like a paper box or a Lamborghini :rolleyes:

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
The bugle honestly wasn't that funny. Last Week Tonight is much better.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
You guys turn into CD at the slightest provocation.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Karate Bastard posted:

It's almost as if getting a bunch of nerds together in one place with relative anonymity and giving them a topic to argue about is a recipe for pedantic nerd arguments. Who'da thunk?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Volcott posted:

The interceptor gets a harsh dicking in the mad max videogame, too, but he manages to get it to limp to the beginning of fury road.

Man I need to rewatch Turbokid.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I wish I had the amount of time on my hands that'd let me just pisssssssss it all away opinionating myself at other people's ideas of entertainment. I'd be such an insufferable tool all the god damned time yes I would.

So Good Job you privilege-having twerklords I'm hella triggered over here.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

Man I need to rewatch Turbokid.

I haven't seen it yet, but I know of it through this awesome song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipO1K24DE90

I'm kind of afraid it won't live up to what I'm imagining.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Rick and Morty Season 3 trailer is here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0IwfHdO36Y

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I haven't seen it yet, but I know of it through this awesome song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipO1K24DE90

I'm kind of afraid it won't live up to what I'm imagining.
That's more or less one of its two big fight scenes, but I'd say you have enough still to discover that it's worth it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's of the same ilk as Kung Fury but more settled down and traditionally paced as a movie. I really liked it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah, it was a fun movie. Apple annoyed the poo poo out of me though, even though you could make an argument for her Manic Pixie Dreamgirl-ness being a result of her being a robit but even so I wasn't sad to see her go.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I agree in that it's a faux-80s retro thing but it's a lot less cynical in its approach than Kung Fury (which I didn't like much), and a lot more focused on one theme. I've heard it compared to Hobo with a Shotgun, but that one's a lot more hardcore and violent.

Last time I watched Hobo with a Shotgun I'd smoked some very dodgy weed and got super anxious around 20 minutes in, had to turn it off and chill out with something more positive. Turbokid I probably could have handled.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Yeah, I'd liken it way more to Hobo with a Shotgun than Kung Fury in that it comes from a place of sincere love for the source materials and so generally knows what it's doing when it winks at the audience, rather than just cramming in le memes.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Kung Fury only works because it's half an hour. And also because Triceracop is hilarious.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Karate Bastard posted:

I wish I had the amount of time on my hands that'd let me just pisssssssss it all away opinionating myself at other people's ideas of entertainment. I'd be such an insufferable tool all the god damned time yes I would.

So Good Job you privilege-having twerklords I'm hella triggered over here.

Where do you think you are? What do you think you're doing right now?

There are stairs in your house, you son of a bitch.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

burexas.irom posted:

Rick and Morty Season 3 trailer is here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0IwfHdO36Y

loving sweet

And if you liked that, check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRfnevzM9kQ

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Karate Bastard posted:

Let's not say things we can't take back. After all, nobody's quoted Zizek yet. :colbert:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Let's not say things we can't take back. After all, nobody's quoted Zizek yet. :colbert:

Love is what makes sex more than masturbation. If there is no love even if you are really with a partner you masturbate with a partner.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Volcott posted:

Where do you think you are? What do you think you're doing right now?

There are stairs in your house, you son of a bitch.

Well poo poo

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The General posted:

Kung Fury only works because it's half an hour. And also because Triceracop is hilarious.

Continuing the proud tradition of dinosaur cop side-kicks:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

I thought about calling him Barney instead of Theodore, what happens now?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Ak Gara posted:

You do a double shift at work. It's late, you're tired, and this is the last train home. They all slowly turn to look at you. Do you get off?

This sounds like the beginning to a Junji Ito manga.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ImpAtom posted:

You said it doesn't count because the ghost gets out later. In the original Ghostbusters the only scene where they actually capture a ghost onscreen is Slimer who also escapes later.

There's a montage where they run around town busting lots of ghosts but every single one of them got released when Peck turned off the containment grid.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a montage where they run around town busting lots of ghosts but every single one of them got released when Peck turned off the containment grid.
They should blow his house up using popcorn and a laser.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

FactsAreUseless posted:

They should blow his house up using popcorn and a laser.

I want to me three this but I just can't remember what happens to him in die hard. I think he gets kicked in the balls by die hard's wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, that answers the question of what happened to one of the dinosaur puppets from that TV show Dinosaurs.

• Locked thread