Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I have a bunch of other turds to smoke before i get to Hacksaw, but i will say that it just moved up in the queue

We were talking about jump scares in non-horror movies the other day, Hacksaw Ridge has one that nearly made me jump out of my skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

holy loving poo poo I never realized that there was an electric guitar riff right when the human sacrifice's heart explodes, loving incredible

Also, I've actually been meaning to see Hacksaw Ridge because Im a total sucker for stories about people refusing to back down on noble ideals, so it seemed to be extremely my poo poo even though I'm not remotely christian.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

DC Murderverse posted:

get his audiobook right now. It's about growing up in during- and eventually post-apartheid South Africa as a mixed race kid, and hearing him speak about 7 different languages is really impressive and the stories he tells range from hilarious to loving horrifying.
I've been looking for something to listen to (I'm in the car about 2.5 hours a day), I'll have to grab it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

hey wtf is wrong with smoking turds?

Obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCXqbjo6cb0&t=70s

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

My knees were shaking while watching Hacksaw Ridge. It gets pretty intense. I just wish the ending didn't wrap up so quickly.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Slow. Your. Roll.

No. It sucks. It's just a remake of the first movie with Sean Connery in it and I hate Sean Connery

Also I hate the part at the beginning where we learn about how go the whip and the hat. That's some loving prequels level garbage.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FishBulb posted:

No. It sucks. It's just a remake of the first movie with Sean Connery in it and I hate Sean Connery

Also I hate the part at the beginning where we learn about how go the whip and the hat. That's some loving prequels level garbage.

The bit with Indy Jr. and Indy Sr. trying to make up for lost time on the blimp is one of my top 5 Spielberg scenes ever, probably the best ever expression of Spielberg Daddy Issues

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I like that in Last Crusade, teenage Indy is all like "They're just snakes!" until he falls in that pool of them, but in the very first episode of Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, he's afraid of snakes in the first episode as a little kid.

Because WHO CARES really.

The show is pretty good but goddamn are they long episodes.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The bit with Indy Jr. and Indy Sr. trying to make up for lost time on the blimp is one of my top 5 Spielberg scenes ever, probably the best ever expression of Spielberg Daddy Issues

I really hate Spielberg's daddy issues and the movies that deal with it so maybe it's just me.

Like, I loving hate Close Encounters. Can't stand it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FishBulb posted:

I really hate Spielberg's daddy issues and the movies that deal with it so maybe it's just me.

Like, I loving hate Close Encounters. Can't stand it.

I actually don't care for Close Encounters either although that's not the reason. It just never really clicked with me.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Spielberg's prime "daddy issues" movie is easily 1941.

And, yes, I still think it's criminally underrated.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

FishBulb posted:

On paper, it's a terrible idea. But then River Phoenix says 'It belongs in a museum' and you know, that's that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The best part of Close Encounters is Dreyfus abandoning his kids.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ruddiger posted:

I like that in Last Crusade, teenage Indy is all like "They're just snakes!" until he falls in that pool of them, but in the very first episode of Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, he's afraid of snakes in the first episode as a little kid.

Because WHO CARES really.

The show is pretty good but goddamn are they long episodes.

In the most George Lucas thing ever, I swear to god there's a dvd release of Raiders of the Lost Arc where the spine says something along the lines of "Part 31 in the Indiana Jones Chronicles"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

ruddiger posted:

The best part of Close Encounters is Dreyfus abandoning his kids.

Yeah idk why people get their socks in a bunch over that.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I think Close Encounters is the only Spiel I haven't seen.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

So Spielberg is the right director for a Mass Effect movie?

Give him the games too. He has a pretty good track record with those.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just found a music video I think I've been trying to find for about 20 years and I'm not gonna even bother posting it because it really wasn't even very good. I'm not sure if I feel more relieved that I finally found this thing or disappointed that it wasn't worth it the years searching.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

glam rock hamhock posted:

I just found a music video I think I've been trying to find for about 20 years and I'm not gonna even bother posting it because it really wasn't even very good. I'm not sure if I feel more relieved that I finally found this thing or disappointed that it wasn't worth it the years searching.

Fine, I'll post it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2j96k_joe-pesci-wiseguy_music

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

continuing my indy binge while sick: anyone who can say that Crystal Skull is a Bad Movie after watching the scene where shia labeouf repeatedly throws a snake in Ford's face while shouting about there not being a sears in the jungle, is someone I don't want to hear a goddamn thing from about movies being Fun/Not Fun

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That doesn't seem like the same movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

continuing my indy binge while sick: anyone who can say that Crystal Skull is a Bad Movie after watching the scene where shia labeouf repeatedly throws a snake in Ford's face while shouting about there not being a sears in the jungle, is someone I don't want to hear a goddamn thing from about movies being Fun/Not Fun

WOW ITS SO WACKY

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

WOW ITS SO WACKY

I have yet to see anything more filmically nonsensical than in Temple of Doom, a movie where the characters survive a several hundred foot drop onto hard earth unscathed in a cloth bottom raft

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

K. Waste posted:

Spielberg's prime "daddy issues" movie is easily 1941.

And, yes, I still think it's criminally underrated.

I'm gonna once again go to bat for Minority Report. The entire scene with Samantha Morton telling the story of, "what would have happened if a kidnapper didn't kill your kid" while Tom Cruise is acting his little heart out is straight daddy issues gold.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

So Spielberg is the right director for a Mass Effect movie?

Nah. Luc Besson or Panos Cosmatos.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

I have yet to see anything more filmically nonsensical than in Temple of Doom, a movie where the characters survive a several hundred foot drop onto hard earth unscathed in a cloth bottom raft

It's silly but it's non-diagetically silly.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Really, while Crystal Skull does have a good number of flaws (Ford sleepwalking, not using its cast to its best, and a general overreliance on setpieces) it's not nearly as bad as people say it is.

Also while I've always hated Hulu's tendency to crop 2.39:1 movies to 16:9 on random movies, it really pissed me off here since there are a lot of scenes where speaking characters are literally cut out of the frame.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's silly but it's non-diagetically silly.

It's really not any more wacky than, say, any of the Indy-and-dad scenes in Last Crusade, though? You can argue that Last Crusade did it better (and I wouldn't push back on those grounds) but acting like wackiness and silliness and characters being goofs is some sort of cancer that Crystal Skull introduced is prime horseshit.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 23, 2017

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I said it was disappointing and not very good, not a masterpiece that had clearly only grown stronger over time

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

.... He said, literally moments after watching the refrigerator scene.

(I actually liked Crystal Skull. It's biggest crime was not being as good as 3 really great films)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean, also not untrue.

Would "arrogant misogynist human poo poo stain" be more accurate?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you voted for Trump then at the very least you sold out your neighbors for the illusion of personal security. So maybe, just maybe, you're a coward, a traitor, and a dupe -- but not a racist, if that makes you feel better.

You don't have to be a racist/misogynist/homophobe/transphobe/ableist/rape apologist to be a Trump supporter, you just have to be okay with racism/misogyny/homophobia/transphobia/ableism/rape apology to be a Trump supporter.

I've met plenty of so called decent people who support Trump and all this travesty has done is shine a light on all the disgusting things they used to hide for fear of disapproval. The Richard Spencers and Milo Yiannopolouses aren't the average Trump supporter. The average Trump supporters are everyday people you interact with walking around harboring disgusting world views and quietly discussing them with each other in coffee shops and work places. These are the people who put him in power.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean, we could use a Tea Party style movement of the left to primary the poo poo out of some of the weak-rear end democrats we have right now.

They tried that and all it amounted to was a bunch of college kids banging on drums in a concrete park outside of some bank.

I have a bunch of other turds to smoke before i get to Hacksaw, but i will say that it just moved up in the queue

Not even once.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah idk why people get their socks in a bunch over that.

His kids seemed like real dicks plus he got to ride in a loving spaceship.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
By the way, my favorite jump scare is still the roller coaster one in Enter the Void. It's so well done and it loving wrecked me when I first saw that movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

It's really not any more wacky than, say, any of the Indy-and-dad scenes in Last Crusade, though? You can argue that Last Crusade did it better (and I wouldn't push back on those grounds) but acting like wackiness and silliness and characters being goofs is some sort of cancer that Crystal Skull introduced is prime horseshit.

There's just something off about Crystal Skull, Temple of Doom is so gung-ho about its own contrivances but Crystal Skull has this hesitancy. It's not a bad movie but it's lacking the involved spunkiness of the first two that make them so good. It's also hamstrung by some lousy CGI and overall visual incoherence.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

My cat does not like Ju-On: The Curse

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CPL593H posted:

You don't have to be a racist/misogynist/homophobe/transphobe/ableist/rape apologist to be a Trump supporter, you just have to be okay with racism/misogyny/homophobia/transphobia/ableism/rape apology to be a Trump supporter.

I've met plenty of so called decent people who support Trump and all this travesty has done is shine a light on all the disgusting things they used to hide for fear of disapproval. The Richard Spencers and Milo Yiannopolouses aren't the average Trump supporter. The average Trump supporters are everyday people you interact with walking around harboring disgusting world views and quietly discussing them with each other in coffee shops and work places. These are the people who put him in power.

It's been at most 20 years since the last time we elected a known rapist, your They Live glasses must have been malfunctioning before this winter.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Groovy

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
ATTN: CelticPredator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkXgRlRao5I

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMFA0oAdCLM

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was trying to watch that at work, and got in trouble.

But yes, I love everything about. Especially McBride. Like loving hell, how could Ridley Scott know me so well???

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJSDTVvjwmU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There's just something off about Crystal Skull, Temple of Doom is so gung-ho about its own contrivances but Crystal Skull has this hesitancy. It's not a bad movie but it's lacking the involved spunkiness of the first two that make them so good. It's also hamstrung by some lousy CGI and overall visual incoherence.

I haven't seen Crystal Skull in years but one example I remember is that the movie comes to a screeching halt right after the fridge scene to dump all that poo poo on us to establish that this franchise is now influenced by 50s pulp and not 30s pulp.

• Locked thread