Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
No web browser or media apps at launch, infuriatingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Hocus Pocus posted:

Has there been any word yet on the Switch's functionality as a tablet? I just mean for browsing and YouTube and stuff. I don't own a tablet so it'd be neat if the Switch had Netflix etc.

I suppose I'll find out first hand in 8 days. So long as EB Games or Australia Post don't gently caress up (they'll gently caress up).

Are post offices in America open on weekends at all? Because they aren't in Australia and it sucks.

Its up to Youtube and Netflix to develop for it, and it is up to Nintendo to work with them and provide any development toolkits. Netflix didn't bother developing an app for the PSTV, so lets hope they see more demand/bigger user base on the Switch.

Nintendo is also probably worried about security holes (for custom firmware, piracy, etc) via a browser

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a cellphone

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

It's kind of a damned if you do/damned if you don't situation for Nintendo. Everyone on the fuckin planet (who would be buying a switch) has a multitude of ways of browsing the web, watching YouTube or Netflix. I even own a tablet that's perfectly capable of doing all of those things and 99% of the time I'd rather just Chromecast that stuff to my TV or just straight up use my phone in bed.

That said, these features are tried and true on the past several modernish gen consoles, so... Why should they/would they care to put money and resources into developing these effectively superfluous features when very few people will use them and it only opens them up to potential routes for softmodding/hacking? I totally get their reasoning for not wanting to bother with it, but it is also still weird to not have that in any case.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
No web browser, no Webkit exploit.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I am of the opinion that video game consoles should be used for playing video games

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Actually I think it's bullshit the switch doesn't have a blu-ray drive and the console is going to be DOA because of it

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Jimmy Hats posted:

I am of the opinion that video game consoles should be used for playing video games

Same but I don't consider 12switch a video game

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jimmy Hats posted:

Actually I think it's bullshit the switch doesn't have a blu-ray drive and the console is going to be DOA because of it

It's okay everyone already bought a PS4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Nintendo will start selling movies on Switch carts.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Is anyone actually buying the JoyCon charging grip? At first it seemed like a must-buy, but with 20 hour battery life on the JoyCons and the fact that I'd probably pop those bad boys back on the Switch when I'm done....I just don't see the point. Not to mention the fact that I'm getting a Pro controller which has 40 hours of battery life.

And as I understand it, the charging grip only charges the JoyCons while it's plugged in. I initially thought it had a built in battery.

I can't even figure out a use case for it...

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mahoning posted:

Is anyone actually buying the JoyCon charging grip? At first it seemed like a must-buy, but with 20 hour battery life on the JoyCons and the fact that I'd probably pop those bad boys back on the Switch when I'm done....I just don't see the point. Not to mention the fact that I'm getting a Pro controller which has 40 hours of battery life.

And as I understand it, the charging grip only charges the JoyCons while it's plugged in. I initially thought it had a built in battery.

I can't even figure out a use case for it...

I considered it before I settled on a Pro controller. People were praising the grip's feel and I wanted something I could just plug in at the end of the night, without having to spend $70. I plan on using the Switch docked probably 90% of the time, and plugging in the grip sounded more agreeable than detaching the Joy-Cons from the Switch, plugging them into the grip, detaching from the grip and reattaching to the Switch every day.

Then Best Buy did the $25 off $100 Visa Checkout deal again so that made a Pro controller much more attractive.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I'm just going to wait to see how the joy-con+grip feels before I decide on what I get for my p2 controller since I'm only getting Zelda at launch anyway. If it feels alright I'll probably just go for a second set of joycons since it'll cover me for 2 player for sure and as many as 4 for some games.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/834562159833075712

Everybody's going to milk the cow this March.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

TaurusOxford posted:

Because they want people to buy the Switch next week, not 6 to 9 months from now.

They've already sold the vast majority of launch stock via preorders already why would they need to release more info?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Jimmy Hats posted:

If you want a bluray player go get one.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Jimmy Hats posted:

The PS4 Pro doesn't play 4K Blu-ray, despite being marketed as a 4K console.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Rexroom posted:

The PS4 Pro doesn't play 4K Blu-ray, despite being marketed as a 4K console.

Their reasoning was most likely "lol physical media". For further evidence, see how physical media was handled on previous versions of the PS4 system software.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i cant wait to go into my local gamestop and complete my purchase of the nintendo switch, the first home console i can play while in bed and/or taking a poo poo without needing a television with which to hook it up

just you wait, my princess, your poopin hero is on his way soon enough

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Nintendo will start selling movies on Switch carts.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TIL I can watch Shrek 2 on a GBA

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Infinitum posted:

TIL I can watch Shrek 2 on a GBA

Only like 2 minutes of COMPRESSED footage.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Gameboy video had some of the biggest carts ever used on the system and required rewriting of ROM dumpers to even get preserved.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/NISAinEurope/status/834455217269678081

Collectors of crappy video game merchandise ahoy!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gently caress me I can't even imagine how bad that must have looked.

Even the PSP's UMDs didn't look great half a decade later.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Has The Switch, by Nintendo, been released yet?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Quote not edit.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Shu is the closest thing the game industry has to Iwata anymore. Awesome and jovial dude. 5/7, would invite over for drinks and video games.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Steve2911 posted:

gently caress me I can't even imagine how bad that must have looked.

Even the PSP's UMDs didn't look great half a decade later.

Compared to its peers at the time the GBA video held up pretty well, most people still had monochrome nokias so a portable colour screen playing largely smooth video was still pretty crazy to see.
I might be biased though because I grew up with lovely RF connectors and even worse antenna reception so now I still find 720p video legit impressive.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
So, I'm just checking in to see how hosed I am for getting a Switch if I couldn't land a pre-order. Like, super hosed? Anyone have any idea how long it'll take before lovely-rear end me might have a chance at getting one?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

BambooEarpick posted:

So, I'm just checking in to see how hosed I am for getting a Switch if I couldn't land a pre-order. Like, super hosed? Anyone have any idea how long it'll take before lovely-rear end me might have a chance at getting one?

You are in asian gang-bang bukkake-land fest 3000 hosed if you haven't preordered

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

BambooEarpick posted:

The generally accepted launch day hunt strategy is to setup camp at a toys r us a few hours before opening. Toys R Us didn't do reorders from what I've read so they'll have more unallocated units than your other options.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

BambooEarpick posted:

There's plenty of places that didn't take any preorders where you've got a solid shot at showing up for their midnight opening or in the morning when they normally open to get one

If you don't get one at launch I doubt it will be hard to get them after a month or so

I'm personally going to wait until Splatoon 2 hits before picking one up, they'll be plentiful by then even if there's an initial shortage, and it won't be so close to the holidays that that would be a problem either

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Infinitum posted:

You are in asian gang-bang bukkake-land fest 3000 hosed if you haven't preordered

Well, I AM asian so at least I got that going for me?

EpicNemesis posted:

The generally accepted launch day hunt strategy is to setup camp at a toys r us a few hours before opening. Toys R Us didn't do reorders from what I've read so they'll have more unallocated units than your other options.

I might have to give this a shot. I just really want to land a Switch before Spring Break!

Kelp Plankton posted:

There's plenty of places that didn't take any preorders where you've got a solid shot at showing up for their midnight opening or in the morning when they normally open to get one

If you don't get one at launch I doubt it will be hard to get them after a month or so

I'm personally going to wait until Splatoon 2 hits before picking one up, they'll be plentiful by then even if there's an initial shortage, and it won't be so close to the holidays that that would be a problem either

Yeah, if I don't get one before Spring Break I'll likely wait until Summer when I have time. I just have no impulse control and want one so bad right now.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

BambooEarpick posted:

Well, I AM asian so at least I got that going for me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc2Z7CL4Cv0

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

more importantly, how do u feel about bomberman r ?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

you're not charismatic enough to be joey m8

you're more like a ross

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

well why not posted:

more importantly, how do u feel about bomberman r ?

If I had to buy Bomberman to get a Switch I would. I would even buy 1-2 Switch.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'd buy a switch if it meant I'd get a switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

tithin posted:

you're not charismatic enough to be joey m8

you're more like a ross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI1Naz9THmo&t=28s

• Locked thread