Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

21 Muns posted:

It'd be a movie where the twist is that you just spent two hours watching the fictional equivalent of someone else's trip to disneytown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke69bHVkHvE

Unfortunately the movie is not good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

The thing is, I can see his point. It would've been interesting to see a Jurassic Park where poo poo worked. The thing is, though, Jurassic Park is first-and-foremost a We Tampered In God's Domain property. One way or another, the park must fail, because that's why we're there. Interesting is just interesting.

JP is essentially Westworld except with robot cowboys, knights, and Romans, it's dinosaurs. For all of his technothriller bonafides, Crichton was a pseudo-scientific Luddite.

And the HBO "Westworld" is a further extension, like Jurassic World, where there's some more interesting stories to be had if the park is initially successful.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's too bad Jurassic World didn't tell one of those more interesting stories.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

veni veni veni posted:

It's too bad Jurassic World didn't tell one of those more interesting stories.

Listen, if everything worked then Buff Chris Pratt would be out of a job and then nobody would watch the movie.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
They should've used Pratt as Johnny Utah in the Point Break remake. Also they should've made it good.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
While we are making stupid suggestions, it would have been a way better movie if Chris Pratt had just gone full Andy and somehow bumbled his way into saving the park.

Surely there are some crap films in production atm

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Or go Predator and make boy scout traps for the super smart dino.

"What the hell are you?"

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 25, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

It even failed to live up to the gimmick of being a movie shot entirely in Disney theme parks because there are huge stretches of the movie that are shot on sets and green screens.

Not that there wasn't some impressive stuff, like a scene at a crowded Disney resort theme park that looks like it was filmed with a crane shot despite a bunch of oblivious tourists splashing around around them. Or scene where two people meeting on the same ride with their cars going in opposite directions, which must have taken forever to get the timing down.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

It was the first time I ever saw a turkey leg before and I was mad jelly

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

21 Muns posted:

It'd be a movie where the twist is that you just spent two hours watching the fictional equivalent of someone else's trip to disneytown.

Sucker Punch 2: Jurassic World.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

MrBling posted:

Listen, if everything worked then Buff Chris Pratt would be out of a job

God I loving wish, maybe then people could stop pretending Chris Pratt isn't completely replaceable in just about everything

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Young Freud posted:

JP is essentially Westworld except with robot cowboys, knights, and Romans, it's dinosaurs. For all of his technothriller bonafides, Crichton was a pseudo-scientific Luddite.

And the HBO "Westworld" is a further extension, like Jurassic World, where there's some more interesting stories to be had if the park is initially successful.

The HBO Westworld takes a lot of it's ideas from the sequel film Futureworld, as well.

Futureworld is also an example of a Jurassic Park-type film where everything works as intended.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Crichton reused the plot of Westworld so much that even Timeline was about a company trying to build a theme park and everything going wrong, only this time the gimmick was that they were using time travel to build a theme park in actual medieval times.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Crichton reused the plot of Westworld so much that even Timeline was about a company trying to build a theme park and everything going wrong, only this time the gimmick was that they were using time travel to build a theme park in actual medieval times.

That one seems like an insanely bad idea in the first place

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I call it, Edge of Cliff World

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I love Oncoming Train Park!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Guy Mann posted:

Does Leslie Nielsen play the company CEO?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Improbable Lobster posted:

I love Oncoming Train Park!

Welcome... welcome to Plague Land

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

That one seems like an insanely bad idea in the first place

If I recall this trash correctly, it is a parallel dimensional version of our own pst so it doesnt alter ours but does royally gently caress up theirs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Barudak posted:

If I recall this trash correctly, it is a parallel dimensional version of our own pst so it doesnt alter ours but does royally gently caress up theirs.

Except for the part at the end of the book where he forgets and they go and visit the grave of the guy who stays back in the past.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Barudak posted:

There was a twist at the end when the guy they left behind to live in the parallel past left a message to them that they see in their own present. It's like The Late Philip J. Fry except there was no Fry Prime, it's all infinite loop of parallelism.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, I was thinking about that as well, but I forgot the particulars. I knee the company in Timeline was doing the time runs not for pure research.

Barudak posted:

That whole approach was better done in Bruce Sterling's and Rudy Rucker's "Mozart In Mirrorshades", where a resource extraction company is literally strip-mining the parallel pasts (which, theoretically, gives them unlimited resources), as well as William Gibson's "The Peripheral" where the future people are using a time-traveling communication technology into their alternate past to solve a labor shortage via remotes.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 25, 2017

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

There was a twist at the end when the guy they left behind to live in the parallel past left a message to them that they see in their own present. It's like The Late Philip J. Fry except there was no Fry Prime, it's all infinite loop of parallelism.

guess it turns out the park was an insanely bad idea...who couldve known

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

muscles like this! posted:

Except for the part at the end of the book where he forgets and they go and visit the grave of the guy who stays back in the past.

Yeah, because there was an Andre Marek from another dimension who came to ours 600 years ago, who was identical to ours.

There's a part in Timeline which I always thought was hilariously stupid, which is when the CEO reveals they only know how to transmit people, they have no idea how people actually arrive on the other side; they are, in fact, counting on the other dimensions having figured that out for them, thus everyone in the story is dead right from the start :allears:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, I was thinking about that as well, but I forgot the particulars. I knee the company in Timeline was doing the time runs not for pure research.

That whole approach was better done in Bruce Sterling's and Rudy Rucker's "Mozart In Mirrorshades", where a resource extraction company is literally strip-mining the parallel pasts (which, theoretically, gives them unlimited resources), as well as William Gibson's "The Peripheral" where the future people are using a time-traveling communication technology into their alternate past to solve a labor shortage via remotes.

Or the episode of Rick and Morty where Rick has a parallel universe for a car battery.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

Just a watched the girl on the train and I have no idea how that lifetime movie of the week scored Emily Blunt.

i'm so mad i got roped into reading that book. the twist is so loving bad.

Lemon posted:

I was also fifteen when it came out and whilst I didn't care for the movie too much one way or the other, I thought this was loving awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBRtOpwaehM

i rewatched this poo poo on netflix too and was just pretty much waiting until the credits cuz back when this movie came out i had this poo poo on repeat.

hiddenmovement posted:

12 yo me had a massive crush on Lacey Chabert and that was the only reason I liked it

graham for me (and most of the reason i rewatched it).

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 25, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

muscles like this! posted:

Also at the end of the book they straight up murder their CEO in cold blood by stranding him back in time in the middle of the Black Death. He never even really did anything particularly villainous aside from maybe being a little incompetent but gently caress you, Michael Crichton has authority issues so you deserve to die.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

Also at the end of the book they straight up murder their CEO in cold blood by stranding him back in time in the middle of the Black Death. He never even really did anything particularly villainous aside from maybe being a little incompetent but gently caress you, Michael Crichton has authority issues so you deserve to die.
Actually he decided to let everyone who went back die because saving them was too much work, and passive aggressively tried to sabotage the rescue operation. At least that's what happened in the book, I don't remember much of the movie at all. The CEO is really similar to what Hammond is like in the JP novel so there's Crichton recycling again. His explanations of how time travel works seem incredibly flawed, almost like they were intentionally written that way. Despite its flaws I like Timeline, seems like it was the last good book he wrote before he went insane and started denying climate change. I've heard Disclosure is pretty messed up too.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

veni veni veni posted:

Just a watched the girl on the train and I have no idea how that lifetime movie of the week scored Emily Blunt.

I love how Emily Blunt has absolutely no reservations about starring in schlocky films. She was great in The Huntsman: Winter's War as well, and among her upcoming projects are My Little Pony: The Movie and Gnomeo & Juliet: Sherlock Gnomes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

I love how Emily Blunt has absolutely no reservations about starring in schlocky films. She was great in The Huntsman: Winter's War as well, and among her upcoming projects are My Little Pony: The Movie and Gnomeo & Juliet: Sherlock Gnomes.
She's channeling Michael Caine quite successfully.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Young Freud posted:

btw, The Peripheral would probably be the easiest to adapt of William Gibson's work, straight out. It's a lot less dense, more straightforward in its plot and the competing aims of the "good guys" and the "bad guys", and everything resolves in a way that makes coherent sense. Which is to say it's not top tier Gibson, but reading it the entire time, I imagined it making a pretty effective movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Casimir Radon posted:

She's channeling Michael Caine quite successfully.

God, I hope they are neighbours.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Grendels Dad posted:

God, I hope they are neighbours.

Does Caine still have the mansion Jaws 3 paid for?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

got any sevens posted:

Does Caine still have the mansion Jaws 3 paid for?
Jaws: The Revenge is actually #4 :ssh:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Guy Mann posted:

Was this the one where THEY FAX THEMSELVES TO THE PAST! because that's all I remember about that movie. What a dumb idea.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Casimir Radon posted:

Actually he decided to let everyone who went back die because saving them was too much work, and passive aggressively tried to sabotage the rescue operation. At least that's what happened in the book, I don't remember much of the movie at all. The CEO is really similar to what Hammond is like in the JP novel so there's Crichton recycling again. His explanations of how time travel works seem incredibly flawed, almost like they were intentionally written that way. Despite its flaws I like Timeline, seems like it was the last good book he wrote before he went insane and started denying climate change. I've heard Disclosure is pretty messed up too.
I heard Pirate Latitudes was pretty decent and Spielberg wanted to adapt it, which I would allow since he's one of the few who could make Crichton's works great movies; Crichton was pretty much a hack in retrospect, though The Andromeda Strain is still a decent book.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

I heard Pirate Latitudes was pretty decent and Spielberg wanted to adapt it, which I would allow since he's one of the few who could make Crichton's works great movies; Crichton was pretty much a hack in retrospect, though The Andromeda Strain is still a decent book.
Mixing Ibn Fadlan and Beowulf was a pretty cool idea. The movie is a bit of a mess but I still like it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Maybe Crichton was a hack, but I had a good time reading Jurassic Park and Andromeda Strain. His other stuff may be samey to the point of comedy but those are a good read and considerably better than a lot of science fiction I could've read instead.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Improbable Lobster posted:

Not for two hours. Might as well just watch someone else's video of their trip to disneytown.

Maybe if you're a humongous pedant

Technically no dinosaurs break out in any Jurassic Park movies because they're not true dinosaurs due to the frog dna inserted into their code. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

Mixing Ibn Fadlan and Beowulf was a pretty cool idea. The movie is a bit of a mess but I still like it.

The 13th Warrior was really underrated I thought. Never have read the book though.

• Locked thread