Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So the Standard Abzan Midrange / Walkers deck I posted today did work at FNM.

Pre-game it went 1-1 against G/B aggro. If you keep them off winding constrictor on turn 2 it isn't hard to out value them.

Game 1: 2-0 Against U/R Dynavolt tower.
He was able to keep my off my Sylvan advocate and Tracker, but the turn 4 Gideon and turn 5 Ob sealed it.

Game two was closer because I did so much damage to myself between Painful Truths and Anguished unmaking, but tracker, tracker brought back from Lili, and Sorin out valued him. Transgress the mind did help a lot.

Game 2: 2-1 Against U/B zombies (missing scrapheap scrounger)

Game one was the basically removing everything until Walkers did him in.
Game two I lost to mana screw.
Game three was a lot more back and forth until I was able to Yaheeni's Expertise into Lili to kill his board including Kalitas.

Game 3: 2-0 against garbage control with eldrazi finishers. (I got paired down, because they messed up)
There isn't much to say here.

So far I am thinking -1 Painful truths +1 Noxious gearhulk to have a target to search for with Ulvenwald if I do hit delirium, and that is still solid if drawn on his own, so not Ishkanah.
I don't know if I would move a Painful truths to the board, but if I did I would remove Kambal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
In case someone missed these

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
The guy that designed mm2 got fired so that is a thing to remember

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Rinkles posted:

In case someone missed these

Assuming they are 5 different mono colored cards - color speculations anyone?

1st white
2nd blue
3rd black
4th red
5th green

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Any idea when they're going to start releasing info on what's being included in Modern Masters 2017? I have some ideas for Modern decks that I'd like to build, but I'd rather not spend money on some of the cards now, if the prices are likely to drop due to increased supply.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Dehtraen posted:

1st white
2nd blue
3rd black
4th red
5th green

White
Blue
Green
Red
Black

C'mon, the crocodile is green, and you just went WUBRG

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Based on colour themes, I'd pick WURBG. The snake looks pretty green, and there's a definite red tint to the crocodile art.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dehtraen posted:

1st white
2nd blue
3rd black
4th red
5th green

I'm thinking that or a mix of allied and enemy color pairs (with the remaining pairs in the next set)

1 White something
2 Azorius
3 Orzhov
4 Rakdos
5 Simic

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Sobek there is black as all hell, dude has an army of zombies churning around him.

He might end up being Black/Something but you can bet there's Black in there somewhere.

anglachel
May 28, 2012
So the wizards design article talks about one of the failures of BfZ being it was too complicated. These guys really are oblivious aren't they?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

The Sobek dude being surrounded by zombie seems pretty Black, but Sobek in lore was more about military power which seems more like a red thing. Anubis, the jackal guy is the lord of the underworld, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's the black god.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

anglachel posted:

So the wizards design article talks about one of the failures of BfZ being it was too complicated. These guys really are oblivious aren't they?

It's kind of surprising how they think that BfZ was too complicated given that there were only four colors in the set.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

born on a buy you posted:

Is this really a thing? And was it directly related to MM2?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

anglachel posted:

That and it was a very popular set. Definitely some interesting takeaways.

By interesting I mean bad

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MM2 was a great set. Really fun to draft too.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 25, 2017

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

White
Blue
Green
Red
Black

C'mon, the crocodile is green, and you just went WUBRG

I dunno, the figures at the bottom of the third image are clearly undead.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Chalks posted:

I dunno, the figures at the bottom of the third image are clearly undead.

Dammit.

The croc should be green.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Hellsau posted:

It's kind of surprising how they think that BfZ was too complicated given that there were only four colors in the set.

It was on the complex side of the sets from a mechanical point of view.
You had Awaken, Landfall, Rally, Converge, Ingest-Process mechanic, Colorless matters theme, Exile matters theme...

I mean, Kaladesh (the set) has just Vehicles, Energy, Fabricate and artifact matters theme.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 25, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Another event with modern that sold out before the event started.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Sickening posted:

Another event with modern that sold out before the event started.

It's because Modern is good, imo

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Rinkles posted:

Amonkhet spoilers begin in April, but is there a PAX or other con before that where some individual cards might be revealed?

Nope, there's no PAX East panel scheduled.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

What the reason they gave?

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

A lot of Temur Dynavolt Tower on the stream at GP Utrecht. Not seen much Saheeli on stream, but it had 3 GP trial winners. Plenty of Snek and Mardu Vehicles.

We've also seen some Paradox Engine Colossus and a Turbofog/Tower/Fevered Visions deck.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

this guy at GP Utrecht at 6-0 went t1 Renegade Map t2 Hidden Stockpile

also it's Standard and not Limited and he also has Carrier Thrall in his deck

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

araeris posted:

Turbofog/Tower/Fevered Visions deck.

dang, this is my deck. how'd it do? i wonder if i can find it on camera at all

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Elyv posted:

This is extremely my poo poo

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

80s James Hetfield posted:

dang, this is my deck. how'd it do? i wonder if i can find it on camera at all

He won a game on stream when he was 5-0. May have gone to 6-0. Missed the dude's name though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

hey carrier thrall was an option back when that Abzan Reanimation spell was in standard, give it it's due respect

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

YggdrasilTM posted:

It was on the complex side of the sets from a mechanical point of view.
You had Awaken, Landfall, Rally, Converge, Ingest-Process mechanic, Colorless matters theme, Exile matters theme...

I mean, Kaladesh (the set) has just Vehicles, Energy, Fabricate and artifact matters theme.

Sure, if you count Devoid and Energy as equally complex because they're both one mechanic, then BFZ was pretty complex. But that's a pretty horrible way of counting complexity. A mechanic like Morph or Energy introduces more complexity than basically all of BFZ's lovely mechanics combined.

And even if it had a higher than average number of keywords, that certainly wasn't the problem with BFZ. I've literally never heard anyone make that complaint about it.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Sure, if you count Devoid and Energy as equally complex because they're both one mechanic, then BFZ was pretty complex. But that's a pretty horrible way of counting complexity. A mechanic like Morph or Energy introduces more complexity than basically all of BFZ's lovely mechanics combined.

And even if it had a higher than average number of keywords, that certainly wasn't the problem with BFZ. I've literally never heard anyone make that complaint about it.

...Energy is a very simple mechanic, you know? It is DEEP, synergistic, and you can do a lot of things with it, but it has less complexity than the ingest-process one.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 25, 2017

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

YggdrasilTM posted:

...Energy is a very simple mechanic, you know? It is DEEP, synergistic, and you can do a lot of things with it, but it has less complexity than the ingest-process one.

If you don't think energy adds a hell of a lot more gameplay complexity than "put the dude that buffs colorless dudes in a deck with colorless dudes" than I'm not sure what to tell you.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If you don't think energy adds a hell of a lot more gameplay complexity than "put the dude that buffs colorless dudes in a deck with colorless dudes" than I'm not sure what to tell you.

How in the world "put the dude that buffs colorless dudes in a deck with colorless dudes" is the processor mechanic? How can "remove some token you have to do an effect" be more complex then "put some cards from the other player exile in the other player graveyard to do an effect"? Porcess mechanich is more narrow, is more difficult to do, can even drive to less interesting plays, but mechanically has way more mobile parts.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 25, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rules/mechanics complexity is not the same as depth is what Ygg is saying. Foodchain magnate and forbidden stars are both deep, but FCM achieves it with a much less complex card-driven action system.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Bfz was complex because it had a bunch of poo poo that didn't all naturally feed into each other.

The and ingest / processing were needlessly complex for no real gain. The particularly arbitrary nature of the ally type made the team tap mechanic (which I think we skipped, or else it had a terrible name that I can't recall) loving terrible to draft, same with the ingest and processing stuff.

Energy stuff all works with itself and builds up and doesn't require a bunch of mental lifting to just make it function. I can draft harnessed lightning or I can draft it with 7 other cards. That didn't work with BFZ.

It was junk for a lot of reasons but the complexity to no benefit is one of them.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

"Messy" or "bloated" might be better words than "complex", but since it's an official Wizards article it has to say it in a PR-friendly way.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
BFZ block added a whole 6th color to the game, 2complex4me

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sigma-X posted:

The particularly arbitrary nature of the ally type made the team tap mechanic (which I think we skipped, or else it had a terrible name that I can't recall) loving terrible to draft, same with the ingest and processing stuff.

Cohort :eng101:

what a poo poo block, there were a million mechanics and they were all bad or did nothing

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
At least Shadows was great, and I think Kaledesh has been pretty good as well in regards to drafting. I also may be in the minority, but Standard seems to be in a pretty good place.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Elyv posted:

Cohort :eng101:

what a poo poo block, there were a million mechanics and they were all bad or did nothing

Eh, I liked the colorless mana. Like, a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

"Messy" or "bloated" might be better words than "complex", but since it's an official Wizards article it has to say it in a PR-friendly way.

It's also easy to think it was simpler than it was in retrospect because it was so pointless and unmemorable.

• Locked thread