Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Any of you guys had chafing/irritation from your helmet strap? I ended up with a red mark just above my Adam's apple that lasted a day after riding. I recently washed my helmet, so I don't think it's dirty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
If anything it might be whatever you washed it with. A bit of detergent residue can be quite irritating.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I used my regular shampoo, so I don't think it's that. My best guess is I went too close with my razor in the morning, and the strap was just in the right place at the wrong time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've had it a couple of times.

Related: why do all MX helmets have the strap laughably far back? Are all dirt riders lightbulb heads or what?

Medium shoei that fits me perfectly: strap millimetrically centered under my jaw.

Half a dozen different MX helmets that fit me perfectly/reasonably well: strap feels like a hangman's noose.

In the end I just gave up and bought one that had all the other stuff I wanted.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Related: why do all MX helmets have the strap laughably far back? Are all dirt riders lightbulb heads or what?

It chokes off blood supply to the brain which tends to cause bad life decisions which tend to be good MX decisions.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

carcinofuck posted:

Guys, I have vague questions.

I was looking into cheap mods that might make the crf250l a little bit less of a pig. Cheap means exhaust pipes/headers are out of the question. The first mod that folks keep suggesting is to install the ECU from a CBR250R. I quote:

"Go search ebay for a bargain used CBR250R ECU. The CBR250R apec is 26hp@8,500rpm 23.8N-m@7,000rpm."

Apparently something about how the crf is detuned comparatively. I'm not pretending to know what any of that means except less explodey. The OTHER mod is to get an EJK controller and open up the air box. Again, something something air/fuel more boom boom. Can someone tell me in general terms what these are likely to do?

AFAIK the crf has a different cam which shifts the power band lower so the peak HP on the CBR is higher.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

My DL650's rear tire was penetrated by a long screw that also managed to have the tip of the screw poke a SECOND little hole exiting through the area of the tire that seats directly onto the bead of my rim.

Is it worth trying to patch this from the inside or should I just ditch the tire? It has about 3500 highway miles on it, so it isn't in the best or worst shape.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Can I use 4t engine oil in the final drive of a lovely chinese 2t scooter or does it absolutely have to be some sort of gear oil?

Man_of_Teflon posted:

My DL650's rear tire was penetrated by a long screw that also managed to have the tip of the screw poke a SECOND little hole exiting through the area of the tire that seats directly onto the bead of my rim.

Is it worth trying to patch this from the inside or should I just ditch the tire? It has about 3500 highway miles on it, so it isn't in the best or worst shape.

Pull that thing out of your pocket and post a pic.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Can I use 4t engine oil in the final drive of a lovely chinese 2t scooter or does it absolutely have to be some sort of gear oil?

It might be fine or it might not. That small risk seems not worth it given the likely minuscule effort to check the right spec. 10w40 or gear oil, it'll be something cheap.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Slavvy posted:

I would think so yes. My RD called for 30wt oil in the transmission. ATF type F is what I've used in all my 2t stuff.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Slavvy posted:

Probably. My Zuma 125 calls for 10w30 in the final. If you can't find a manual for your specific lovely Chinese scooter you can probably find out what generic engine it has and are what's recommended.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Thanks chaps :)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Scooter FDs are often supposed to have very heavy oil, like 85w140, so no, ATF and engine oil are totally different. But it won't matter in a Chinese scooter because the entire electrical system will melt in 5 miles.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I'm trying to diagnose a howling coming from the front of my F4i that increases in volume with road speed, but doesn't increase in pitch. The bike also feels just a a little rough-rolling while coasting very slowly with the clutch in, almost like very faint gravel or something. Very faint and doesn't happen all the time. Wheel bearing? If so, how much should I expect to pay a shop to fix that on the East Coast?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fifty Three posted:

I'm trying to diagnose a howling coming from the front of my F4i that increases in volume with road speed, but doesn't increase in pitch. The bike also feels just a a little rough-rolling while coasting very slowly with the clutch in, almost like very faint gravel or something. Very faint and doesn't happen all the time. Wheel bearing? If so, how much should I expect to pay a shop to fix that on the East Coast?

Wheel bearing should increase in pitch, you'll feel it easily if you can get the front wheel off the ground and spin it by hand. Are you sure the howl is not emanating from your mouth?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ola posted:

Wheel bearing should increase in pitch, you'll feel it easily if you can get the front wheel off the ground and spin it by hand. Are you sure the howl is not emanating from your mouth?
Hah, most of the time. Getting the front wheel off the ground might be tricky, I don't yet have paddock stands. I'll see if I can figure something out. I wasn't aware a wheel bearing would increase in pitch, thanks for the info. I guess it could be the... wind... ? :shrug:

Getting used to a new bike is as bad as trying to sleep in a new house.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, turbulent wind blast can sometimes feel like a mechanical vibration. And it's wrong of me to insist that the wheel bearing should increase in pitch, vibrations are complicated and it could well be a worn bearing. Before you get a paddock stand, you can just try rolling the bike with the engine off across a smooth surface.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Pull that thing out of your pocket and post a pic.

Best I can get:

You can't see the hole itself but you can see where the tip of the screw dug in a bit to the rim itself, to get an idea of where it exited the tire.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fifty Three posted:

Hah, most of the time. Getting the front wheel off the ground might be tricky, I don't yet have paddock stands. I'll see if I can figure something out. I wasn't aware a wheel bearing would increase in pitch, thanks for the info. I guess it could be the... wind... ? :shrug:

Getting used to a new bike is as bad as trying to sleep in a new house.

Get a friend who isn't a sissy to put their foot on the side stand and heave up and back to get the front wheel off ground. Sounds difficult but is in fact very easy with all but the heaviest bikes, that'll let you spin the wheel and see if it's a bearing. Try pulling the clutch in and hitting the kill switch at speed for a better listen.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Best I can get:

You can't see the hole itself but you can see where the tip of the screw dug in a bit to the rim itself, to get an idea of where it exited the tire.

If I'm understanding that correctly there's no way you'll get the tyre to hold air again without a poo poo ton of tyre goo (don't do this).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Best I can get:

That looks ok - I've put worse dings in tires being an ape with tire irons. Hard to tell from the perspective but it looks like a very narrow gouge. If it has a sharp edge I'd knock it down a bit and then seat the tire and test with soapy water.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

EX250 Type R posted:

AFAIK the crf has a different cam which shifts the power band lower so the peak HP on the CBR is higher.
And yet if I use a CBR ECU, it will allow it to use higher amounts of fuel/air to push up the HP?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

carcinofuck posted:

And yet if I use a CBR ECU, it will allow it to use higher amounts of fuel/air to push up the HP?

The ecu will be expecting the motor to behave like a cbr250 and will fuel it as such. The crf cam will be expecting to be fed fuel differently and IMO it would not be a step up.

The motors are very similar but designed for different uses. They make about the same power, just at different rpms. Don't get caught up in chasing a peak hp number from something tuned to peak at high rpms on a bike that's designed around lower rpm usage.

Start with the airbox, ejk, and exhaust and realize you aren't gonna get much power out of it and appreciate it for what it is or get a bigger bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

That looks ok - I've put worse dings in tires being an ape with tire irons. Hard to tell from the perspective but it looks like a very narrow gouge. If it has a sharp edge I'd knock it down a bit and then seat the tire and test with soapy water.

I think he's worried about the puncture hole in the tyre bead, not the rim.

EX250 Type R posted:

The ecu will be expecting the motor to behave like a cbr250 and will fuel it as such. The crf cam will be expecting to be fed fuel differently and IMO it would not be a step up.

The motors are very similar but designed for different uses. They make about the same power, just at different rpms. Don't get caught up in chasing a peak hp number from something tuned to peak at high rpms on a bike that's designed around lower rpm usage.

Start with the airbox, ejk, and exhaust and realize you aren't gonna get much power out of it and appreciate it for what it is or get a bigger bike.

Modding a small bike for more power is like putting a turbo on the non-turbo version of a turbo car. It's always cheaper and better to just buy the more powerful one instead.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Z3n posted:

The problem is that there is a hole in the bead of the tire too where the tip of the screw exited that leaks juuuust a little bit even after smoothing the rim :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

The problem is that there is a hole in the bead of the tire too where the tip of the screw exited that leaks juuuust a little bit even after smoothing the rim :(

Oh, lol, gently caress me, no, that tire is toast as gently caress, buddy. Didn't even consider that was in the realm of possibility that that is what you were talking about!

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009
So Im checking my valves on my sv (20k miles). Im not quite sure if Im doing it right. It looks like all my intake valves are good. Spec is .1-.2
Front r: .1
Front l: .12
Rear r: .1
Rear l: .12

Weird part is it seems like every exhaust valve is .15. Spec is .2-.3 so it seems odd that they'd all be off that much. Any chance I'm measuring wrong or something? Seems hard to mess up but I've e never done engine stuff before.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If they're currently at the tight end of the spec, that means that they're going to become too tight in short order. I'd loosen them up to the wide end, personally. Both intake and exhaust.

There's a chance you're measuring wrong, sure, but it's not that complex. Make sure the engine is set to the correct crank angle, slide in the feeler gauges until you get the last one that goes in without jamming.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

hit the bricks pal! posted:

So Im checking my valves on my sv (20k miles). Im not quite sure if Im doing it right. It looks like all my intake valves are good. Spec is .1-.2
Front r: .1
Front l: .12
Rear r: .1
Rear l: .12

Weird part is it seems like every exhaust valve is .15. Spec is .2-.3 so it seems odd that they'd all be off that much. Any chance I'm measuring wrong or something? Seems hard to mess up but I've e never done engine stuff before.

You're going to want to adjust all of them because you're going to have to pull the cams regardless. You're probably not measuring wrong, they tighten up over time, and exhausts tend to tighten up more than intakes due to not being cooled by the fuel charge / proximity to the exhaust pipe. Move all the intakes to .2, all the exhausts to .3. It's ok to go a little off the loose end of the spec if needed, won't hurt anything and taking them all to the very lose end will mean you'll probably go 60k miles before needing adjustment again. You won't have done any damage having them at .15 (indeed, it'd probably be completely unnoticeable - Zoran runs all his SV racebikes at .15 clearances all the time for some secret reason).

Do one cylinder at a time, and tag the cam chain to the cams with a grease or paint pen so that you can make sure you've reinstalled them at the same location, or risk having to reinstall them a few times to get it right. Don't turn the engine over with the cams removed. Also, re-installing the cam chain tensioners is a bit of a pain in the rear end - it's worth it to make the little key they recommend.

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009
Fair enough. I think I've seen so many examples of sv's making it to like 50k without adjusting i wasn't expecting mine to really need it. Ill have to look into the process a little more, getting all the way in there might be outside of my comfort zone.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

So what the hell do people actually do for breaking in new engines? Follow the manufacturer spec?

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?
A boring question for Americans:

I bought a bike (2015 Duke 690) last year, second hand from a dealership in California, end of May. I had to leave the US for a few months and left it in a garage, where it awaits my return.
I cancelled my insurance while I'm away. I'll probably be back around May again. Is there anything else I have to do in terms or registration and such to get it legal, before or after the 1-year mark from purchasing it?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If it's in California, and the registration lapsed while you were away, you will have to pay the back registration fees plus a penalty plus the registration fees for this year.

Out of the country and literally impossible for you to ride the bike? Too bad, you still have to keep it registered. If you don't plan to operate the vehicle you can put it on PNO (planned non-operating) status for only like $20 a year. Still has to be registered with the DMV. No, you cannot do this retroactively.

This is why barn finds in California often suck balls. The back-fees are owed by whoever wants to register the bike, doesn't matter who owned it while the fees were delinquent, so you can buy something that's been sitting in a garage for ten years and go to the DMV and whoops you owe a thousand dollars.

:ca:

On the other hand, the insurance should be easy. You'll lose the continuous-insurance discount or whatever but otherwise they won't have any issue reinstating it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
that is loving ridiculous - it's probably cheaper/easier to go register it out of state or use that South Dakota loophole than deal with that mess.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Odette posted:

So what the hell do people actually do for breaking in new engines? Follow the manufacturer spec?

If you have a new bike yeah. If you've rebuilt an engine and don't have any info one way or another, avoid long idling, extended periods at the same RPM/gear, and going over 2/3rd's throttle or RPM. Then change the oil after a thousand k's.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

This is why barn finds in California often suck balls. The back-fees are owed by whoever wants to register the bike, doesn't matter who owned it while the fees were delinquent, so you can buy something that's been sitting in a garage for ten years and go to the DMV and whoops you owe a thousand dollars.

:ca:

Yeup. PNO it, do it every year. If you drop insurance and leave it registered, they'll cancel your rego, and that makes it another pain in the dick.

The PO of my truck paid 3 thousand in backfees for ~10 years of not registered on road.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I lost the keys to my top case. Yes, both of them. I've got an order into Shad for a replacement cylinder and keys, but also need to force the old lock open.
Any suggestions? Should I bash a flat head or chisel in there until it breaks? Take a drill to it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

its all nice on rice posted:

I lost the keys to my top case. Yes, both of them. I've got an order into Shad for a replacement cylinder and keys, but also need to force the old lock open.
Any suggestions? Should I bash a flat head or chisel in there until it breaks? Take a drill to it?

Doing this will probably end up breaking parts of the box you don't want to break. Luckily top boxes and such have laughably simple locks and you could probably pick it with a paperclip and some persistence; I've done it several times.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

its all nice on rice posted:

As Slavvy said, they're simple locks. Wafer tumbler to be precise, usually 4-5 spaces with 3-5 depths. Look up some lock picking videos on youtube, make yourself some tools out of spring steel(ladies hair pins, street sweeper bristle, flat springs) tension the barrel with one tool, rake the wafers with the other. When dealing with wafer locks like that tension is key, not too hard or the wafers bind too much or too soft and they won't pick.

I'm a locksmith, I see these a lot and basically I just wiggle the pick around a bit and they open.

Edit: just looked into the shad lock cylinders, it's a larger version of the LS13 chinese cam lock profile 4 spaces 3 depths, key is double sided, lock is single sided(all wafers on one side) trivial to rake open.

Fanelien fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Feb 27, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I broke a key off in my Kappa case (same cylinders as Givi), and the fragment left prevented me putting another key in. Screwdriver in the lock and another screwdriver through the handle hole for leverage, opened without causing damage to anything that wasn't being replaced anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

PNO in CA is $20 forever, they just send the renewal annually and you ignore it if you want to stay PNO or pay whatever it says if you want to reinstate active registration.