Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

McFrugal posted:

Edit: also I don't understand what that talk was about something hidden in relation to Herald of Thunder (and maybe HoI too?)

Think it's referring to their quality bonus being a global increase to that damage type, not local.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

can you divine old carnage hearts into new ones?

Doubt it since there's new mods to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Think it's referring to their quality bonus being a global increase to that damage type, not local.

Oh jeez, that's dumb.

GGG needs to clearly label global and local bonuses. Why are daggers the only thing labeled like that?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

One last shaper run, and an ez 6link. Good way to finish the league.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
https://www.poebuilder.com/characte...E3kUa2Nl3kJljkO

Can I get some help with this? Is 262% life too much?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

jerichojx posted:

https://www.poebuilder.com/characte...E3kUa2Nl3kJljkO

Can I get some help with this? Is 262% life too much?

it's a level 100 build, so meaningless

try that build at 80 again (and 262% would be too much then, yes)

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

it's a level 100 build, so meaningless

try that build at 80 again (and 262% would be too much then, yes)

How much should I aim for? I tried inputting some builds from the official site to poebuilder but I can't seem to do it. They just spout some gibberish instead

https://www.poebuilder.com/characte...VLZYVcN85sJlg==
Like this?

I think I like this more

http://poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tr...zL46_xL_gr-jw==

jerichojx fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 27, 2017

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

poebuilder is outdated and uses a skilltree from over a year ago.

Use poeplanner now.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Alas, POE Planner is blocked at work for "Spam"

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

That's why god invented home VPNs you remote into

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
What are some general pointers to building a skill tree? Iv been following other people's but it would be useful to have some general sense as to why things are chosen and be able to understand when I want to deviate from a preplanned build.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

1: Decide on the 5 or 6 "notable" keystones you want to get, the ones that will define your build

2: lol you won't have nearly enough skill points to get all of those. Remove all but 2, *maybe* 3 if they're really close together

3: spend 90% of the rest of your points on life / es nodes and pathing to everything

4: use the few remaining points on dps nodes

Congrats! You just made your very own build!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

For damage nodes, you can use Path of Building to make somewhat more informed choices.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

jerichojx posted:

How much should I aim for? I tried inputting some builds from the official site to poebuilder but I can't seem to do it. They just spout some gibberish instead

in SC I try to have at least 150% by 80, you can go lower if you're a ranged character, have lots of leech and have practiced dodging

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I'm going to start the league with a wildstriker.

Just deciding between shadow (trickster or assassin) and ranger (raider)

thoughts?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mikojan posted:

I'm going to start the league with a wildstriker.

Just deciding between shadow (trickster or assassin) and ranger (raider)

thoughts?

Why not inquisitor since you're 100% elemental damage?

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

in SC I try to have at least 150% by 80, you can go lower if you're a ranged character, have lots of leech and have practiced dodging

Wow, okay. I just plugged in my current Cyclone build. I have a whopping 100%.

That seems low. The build I put above has the same amount points, 200% and just slightly less damage.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
100% is fine if you're mathil

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
So no ones gonna play melee next league? arc witch still viable?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jusupov posted:

100% is fine if you're mathil

Even mathil doesn't go that low anymore.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

well thats the best helmet ive ever found

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Well I sure hope WI doesn't get hosed by the AoE changes just as I'm about to try one out. At least I only have one AoE cluster pathed through so that should be fine.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Insurrectionist posted:

Well I sure hope WI doesn't get hosed by the AoE changes just as I'm about to try one out. At least I only have one AoE cluster pathed through so that should be fine.

It'll be slightly smaller but that just means better single target.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
RF in 2.5 with inc aoe gem and two aoe clusters has a radius of 23.36. In 2.6 replace the inc aoe gem for conc effect and keep the same passives and the radius is 24.5. That's pretty awesome.

Edit: more stuff

Contagion is actually a very very slight nerf. The nerf is more pronounced if you use the inc aoe gem, but still relatively minor.
Glacial Cascade got a big ole buff.

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 27, 2017

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I haven't seen anything about how explosive arrow is affected. Seems like it would be fine, but it doesn't get any bonus radius from levels so idk.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

funmanguy posted:

On the other hand, Glacial Cascade :(

Really I'm still waiting for the patch notes to drop before I figure out what I'm running, I'm not really set on anything yet.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

same same, now i don't actually have to level a build to know if it will work. Path of Building will tell me that it can hit 400k dps :sax:

really looking forward to chris wilson destroying all my carefully cultivated hipster builds by changing the passive tree and making it impossible for me to commit to blood magic or mind of matter

What do you do for rare gears? Just random stats or something?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

funmanguy posted:

RF in 2.5 with inc aoe gem and two aoe clusters has a radius of 23.36. In 2.6 replace the inc aoe gem for conc effect and keep the same passives and the radius is 24.5. That's pretty awesome.

Edit: more stuff

Contagion is actually a very very slight nerf. The nerf is more pronounced if you use the inc aoe gem, but still relatively minor.

Man it's kinda tempting to try rf, self cast or totems

That extra more modifier with virtually the same radius

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Hauki posted:

Man it's kinda tempting to try rf, self cast or totems

That extra more modifier with virtually the same radius

Sadly even if you are using RF in a 4L you replace inc aoe with inc burning damage which isn't a very big boost to damage.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Oh man, if glacial cascade is viable I'd love that. I got my first atziri kill on a cascade shadow before lab was out. I feel like the skill was really fun to use with a lot of AOE, so if it's easier to get big waves I'm excited.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Is the "10% increased physical damage per endurance charge" mod on the new tidebreaker mace just weapon damage or is it a global increase to physical damage?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

IIRC, since it's dependent on something not local to the weapon (endurance charges), it's a global mod.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

What do you do for rare gears? Just random stats or something?

It has rare templates in it where you can modify the affixes and stat ranges, I feel like it doesn't have every affix though, especially for caster weapons. Typically I just do the damage parts of equipment (weapon, rings, jewels) unless I'm playing an iron will build and then I put a middle roll of strength on every slot to get a general idea of where I might be at

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
What change are they making to conc effect? Is it staying 25%, just applied to area instead of radius? If so, that's actually pretty good for builds that use both.

2AOE Clusters + Explosive Impact + IncAOE + ConcEFF = 95% of 2.5 radius
2AOE + IncAOE + ConcEFF = 97% of 2.5 radius
1AOE + IncAOE + ConcEFF = 99% of 2.5 radius

If it still remains 25% less radius...that would be real lovely.

The one thing I'm afraid of is nerfs to proliferation range. It's not too bad right now (elementist prolif went from 16.2r -> 15.2r with 2AOE + EImpact, obviously ratio worse with dying sun, but I'm not planning on that) but I remain worried.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I hope GGG has a follow up response to the initial AOE changes post - there still seems to be a lot of confusion and alarm with regard to skills that were not listed as getting increases to their base aoe.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I'm trying to build a witch and follow the "150% max life" passive suggestion, but all the local nodes for the witch are ES. Is there an ES amount that makes up for lower life? Like, if i have 130% ES and 90% HP, is that enough?

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Are Righteous Fire builds fairly dependent on rare uniques? It seems like a lot of fun running around just burning stuff, but if I'm starting a fresh league not sure how viable that is right away.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Lechtansi posted:

I'm trying to build a witch and follow the "150% max life" passive suggestion, but all the local nodes for the witch are ES. Is there an ES amount that makes up for lower life? Like, if i have 130% ES and 90% HP, is that enough?
Hybrid life/ES tends to be a lot weaker than going hard for one or the other. You usually path over to a bunch of life in the Templar/Marauder area and/or grab what there is in the Shadow start.

e: and the scion cluster, durrrr

theshim fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 27, 2017

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

BitterAvatar posted:

Are Righteous Fire builds fairly dependent on rare uniques? It seems like a lot of fun running around just burning stuff, but if I'm starting a fresh league not sure how viable that is right away.

In order to not burn to a crisp in a half second you need to up your max fire res and/or out-regen the degen. Rise of the Phoenix takes care of the fire res, but it's level 65. It's not expensive, but not somthing you'd pick up day 1.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/whypick1/characters

RichardPryorImpression was the dude I ran in Prophecy (just before Unrelenting got nerfed). Kaom's Way is where a good chunk of my regen comes from, since I'm at 10 endurance charges 99% of the time (that other 1% would be the period between "EXPLOSION!!!111" and "leech from Warlord's Mark"/"something just hit me"). Even with all of this I was slowed down a bit by Hexproof (just had to spam Enduring Cry more) and Vulnerability (had to be very selective about RF there because that would cause me to lose life) maps.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
Witches will most likely want to make sure they try to prioritize life on jewels (7% max possible). I believe witch start has 20% life, templar start+devotion has another 40, quick recovery has 15%, the life/es hybird above shadow has 20%,, shadow start has 20%.

That's 115% right there, the scion life square has 50%, and you can probably get 6-7 jewel sockets as well, giving you another 50 potential. 215% potential total?

So a generic witch caster can reasonably get 150% with jewels, and approach 200% as you get close to level 90. ES is going to be easier though. Post your tree and what you want to accomplish (example: I want to play a life based witch killing mobs with ele hit, and also get 2 curses) and people around here can give you some more targeted advice.

Witch is also very close to mind over matter, which is a decent option to replace some of your life pool, especially if you are using warlord's mark or some other form of mana leech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Lechtansi posted:

Your leech effects will not work at full effectiveness. I don't think there's any way to leech both ES and Life at the same time (there are a handful of ES per hit but I don't think there's % ES that doesn't require you to stop all life leech). So either you only leech life, in which case after they melt through your ES pool, you're working with a reduced health pool unless you run away and let the es regen, or you only leech es in which case whenever you take damage into your life, it'll be unrecoverable(without hp flasks) if you have vaal pact, or will slowly regen if you don't have vaal pact.

Basically it's not worth the effort and the only time you'd hybrid both effectively is running a low life build. And those are expensive.

• Locked thread