Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
The Browns have extended their punter, still no Pryor Extension, goddammit Cleveland......Also just loving sign Crow.

Flikken fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Bill Polian is a dildo.

Dildos make people happy and exist for a purpose

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Volkerball posted:

Jerry didn't buckle like a belt at the first sign of adversity, and neither did Tim Brown.

Tim Brown what are you like 800

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Lol if you can remember him being drafted

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Time posted:

Tim Brown what are you like 800

I'm 28 what are you like 7

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
gently caress Bill Polian and his garbage philosophy for building teams.

Kalli posted:

I will never forget watching the raiders that year, watching Andrew Walter take these gigantic 7 step dropbacks while his receivers ran routes that'd take 5+ seconds to get open and then he would get crushed by every pass rusher at the same time.

That was also the year when they beat a concussed Roethlisberger by pick-sixing him twice and we were all convinced Nnamdi was the best CB in the league.

The 06 Raiders had drat near the worst offense i've ever seen. I remember Walter just getting crushed in the MNF opener against the Chargers over and over again, it was gruesome.

Their defense honestly was pretty ok though. Warren Sapp had a good season and Nnamdi really was one of the best players in the league at time.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Kalli posted:

Watching Randy Moss in 2007 was watching football played at its most perfect.
Honestly the only negative (for me) of the Pats not winning it all that season was Moss being denied a ring.

And Junior Seau I guess

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Eli Wiggum posted:

Honestly the only negative (for me) of the Pats not winning it all that season was Moss being denied a ring.

And Junior Seau I guess

This catch (and the one before it isn't bad either) is my favorite just loving ridiculous plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QJS7SQ_U8I&t=120s

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Revis Island is now unclaimed territory:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/836745222205878272

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Was this posted earlier this month? Every Randy Moss 40+ yard touchdown to celebrate his 40th birthday?

https://youtu.be/1Q7lGl_EfbE

It's 10 minutes long cause Randy Moss.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Cash Monet posted:

For Randy Moss' 40th birthday the NFL put out all of his 40+ yard TD catches.

Its 9 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q7lGl_EfbE

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

WHOOPS posted:

Was this posted earlier this month? Every Randy Moss 40+ yard touchdown to celebrate his 40th birthday?

https://youtu.be/1Q7lGl_EfbE

It's 10 minutes long cause Randy Moss.

I've watched the whole thing 4 times now.

The best part is it ending on an Alex Smith pass.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Patriots should sign him for the vet minimum and win another ring with him.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

it seemed relevant given the current Randy Moss discussion :colbert:

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Is he still actually good? Was he just dogging it this year because Jets, or has he fallen off a cliff?
If he still has something left in the tank, TED PLEASE loving DO SOMETHING!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pops Mgee posted:

Is he still actually good? Was he just dogging it this year because Jets, or has he fallen off a cliff?
If he still has something left in the tank, TED PLEASE loving DO SOMETHING!

I really don't think Revis would fit in well with the Packers locker room.

Also come on man, Ted categorically refuses to go after splashy FA signings. He's been doing this for twelve years!! The Packers are going to sign someone washed up and a promising underachiever 3 days after all the "names" have been signed.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

SKULL.GIF posted:

The Packers are going to sign someone washed up
So...Revis?

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 1, 2017

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Eli Wiggum posted:

So...Revis?

Adrian would be the most Ted Thompson-iest signing. A washed up 30 something from a division rival is his catnip

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Azhais posted:

Adrian would be the most Ted Thompson-iest signing. A washed up 30 something from a division rival is his catnip

A position of need too. This feels to right not to happen.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Blount is going to leave New England and the Patriots will turn Eddie Lacey into his clone

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Revis to the Seahawks :allears:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

didn't ap want to play for the cowboys

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
TT seems like he'll put a hard-capped Value on each potential FA before any negotiations begin, and when their floor is above that amount, it's a no-go no matter what.

So I think we won't sign any of Peterson/Charles/Revis, as they'll probably be able to get some decent $ from a different team that TT just isn't willing to fork out. I have a gut feeling that this FA period is just going to be wild.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Volkerball posted:

didn't ap want to play for the cowboys

I doubt he takes a backup role when some team will pay him actual money to be the feature.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

swickles posted:

I doubt he takes a backup role when some team will pay him actual money to be the feature.

Idk, he'd still get a bunch of carries, have a great young back to mentor on his favorite team, and you have to want to run behind that o line. It depends on what kind of offers he gets I suppose. But the Cowboys have a while before they have to pay Zeke, so they wouldn't have to wrap up a ton of money in the RB position to do it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Blount is going to leave New England and the Patriots will turn Eddie Lacey into his clone

I am not so sure about that. Blount already gave that a try and realized that the place to be is on the Patriots.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Blitz7x posted:

Revis to the Seahawks :allears:

Not if he is ring chasing!

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Volkerball posted:

They've had a lot of guys put up a lot of yards, but I don't think any of them ever scared me as bad as Charles. Dude was so loving good.
This is going to sound super moronic, but Larry Johnson before he got grounded into dust was the Chiefs RB I always felt worried about more than any other one. I can't really explain why, because Charles was a much better player overall; he didn't have the physicality, but he was such a better receiver and pass blocker against the blitz. Still, that combination of hard running power & agility always worried me whenever the Chargers played the Chiefs in the mid 2000s.

Caveat: he's a godawful person and so dumb that he couldn't put 2+2 together if you drew it for him in crayon. But hey I said it was a dumb post so :shrug:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Volkerball posted:

Idk, he'd still get a bunch of carries, have a great young back to mentor on his favorite team, and you have to want to run behind that o line. It depends on what kind of offers he gets I suppose. But the Cowboys have a while before they have to pay Zeke, so they wouldn't have to wrap up a ton of money in the RB position to do it.

Unless it happens for pennies, AP won't be a Cowboy

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Flikken posted:

The Browns have extended their punter, still no Pryor Extension, goddammit Cleveland......Also just loving sign Crow.

Gotta extend your MVP.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TheChirurgeon posted:

Unless it happens for pennies, AP won't be a Cowboy

Yeah idk their overall cap situation. Just saying that they wouldn't have an excessive amount tied up in RB if they did sign him. That doesn't mean they'd have the cap space.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

TBeats posted:

Gotta extend your MVP.

Sadly, you are correct.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Volkerball posted:

Yeah idk their overall cap situation. Just saying that they wouldn't have an excessive amount tied up in RB if they did sign him. That doesn't mean they'd have the cap space.

They'll have more room after Romo's gone and they (probably) extend Witten, but not enough to make a big splash. But it should be clear that the position isn't a major priority for them from a spending standpoint, which is also why they let DeMarco Murray walk two years ago when he wanted more than $4M per year. They (correctly) believe that they don't need to overspend at that position to succeed, given their offensive line.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheChirurgeon posted:

They'll have more room after Romo's gone and they (probably) extend Witten, but not enough to make a big splash. But it should be clear that the position isn't a major priority for them from a spending standpoint, which is also why they let DeMarco Murray walk two years ago when he wanted more than $4M per year. They (correctly) believe that they don't need to overspend at that position to succeed, given their offensive line.

Hell, a good line got a slightly above average back like Terrel Davis into the HoF.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

TheChirurgeon posted:

So you reckon the wont pay Zeke an absurd amount of money if hes still producing at the end of his Rookie contract?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

CyberPingu posted:

So you reckon the wont pay Zeke an absurd amount of money if hes still producing at the end of his Rookie contract?

We're still four years away from that but no, I don't think they will unless he's somehow transcendently good over the next 4 years and still improving. People talk a lot about Dallas' offensive line as the reason for Dak's success but the reality is that team's sack rate isn't much lower than the league average--the line does much more for Zeke than it does Dak. Zeke is still really good, but it's hard to look at DMC's 2015 (10 games, 1,089 yards, 3 TDs with absolute dogshit QBs and 8+ guys in the box on every down) and Zeke's 2016 (15-game,s 1,631-yard, 15 TDs wtih a strong QB) and think that they're so far off that you need to pay Elliott $12M/year to keep the team working.

The larger problem isn't Zeke, it's that running backs just aren't that important in today's NFL. Zeke had a monster season, but you could make a compelling case that he was only the third- or fourth-best RB in the league last season (something I'd agree with--I think Johnson, McCoy, and Bell are all better backs). He didn't lead the league in rushing TDs or YPA, and neither Super Bowl team leaned heavily on their run game in the regular season. Two of the teams that beat Dallas (Green Bay and the Giants) had total dumpster fire situations at RB. So no, unless he turns out to be the next Barry Sanders, I don't think we'll break the bank to keep Zeke once his fifth year option is done, and that'll be the correct move.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The most likely scenario if Zeke is one of the better backs in football is they extend him after year 3 to a large, but not crazy extension and they ride him until he's ~30 and then let him go.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kalli posted:

The most likely scenario if Zeke is one of the better backs in football is they extend him after year 3 to a large, but not crazy extension and they ride him until he's ~30 and then let him go.

yeah, I'd agree with that, with the caveat that they would also not have another young RB set to replace him on the roster at that point.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I mean the likely scenario is that Dallas' O Line falls apart before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It's March, fools.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811953

• Locked thread