Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

CPL593H posted:

He's tried his damnedest to make sure that happens with the original versions of the film. The only reason this discussion always turns into a shitshow is because it's Star Wars. Would you react the same way if it was other movies that had a similar cultural and/or aesthetic significance?

CPL593H posted:

gently caress film preservation if it's a thing some nerds care about!

To be fair - and I'm not saying it's wrong or misguided to care about preserving the original cuts of the Star Wars films - this kinda gets at why it's annoying: this is the only property these people care about preserving. You don't see nerds constantly bitching about the fact that e.g. the only blu-ray of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly includes 20 minutes of deleted scenes from before the premiere that feature 40-years-later dubbing from the principal actors, or that The Matrix got this garish green tint over the whole thing, or etc. etc. Which makes it seem less like an issue of artistic principle and more like manchildren that are mad their mom threw away their Pokemon card collection. That doesn't apply to this crowd, but it is an easy thing to roll your eyes at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Let's all watch this pimple popping channel (warning: gross pimple popping): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?DrSandraLee?videos

The combination of visceral disgust at the foibles of the human body and the doc's just delightful personality in response to it is almost more interesting than the Internet Comment Etiquette video that led me to it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That shot of David walking along the path of dead engineers is loving dope.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Criminal Minded posted:

To be fair - and I'm not saying it's wrong or misguided to care about preserving the original cuts of the Star Wars films - this kinda gets at why it's annoying: this is the only property these people care about preserving. You don't see nerds constantly bitching about the fact that e.g. the only blu-ray of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly includes 20 minutes of deleted scenes from before the premiere that feature 40-years-later dubbing from the principal actors, or that The Matrix got this garish green tint over the whole thing, or etc. etc. Which makes it seem less like an issue of artistic principle and more like manchildren that are mad their mom threw away their Pokemon card collection. That doesn't apply to this crowd, but it is an easy thing to roll your eyes at.

Oh I totally get that. That's the point I was making. I just get annoyed that people pretend like this one's not important because some nerds on the internet complain about it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

Let's all watch this pimple popping channel (warning: gross pimple popping): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?DrSandraLee?videos

The combination of visceral disgust at the foibles of the human body and the doc's just delightful personality in response to it is almost more interesting than the Internet Comment Etiquette video that led me to it.

My wife is fascinated by these. Some of them are pretty wild

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

K. Waste posted:

Let's all watch this pimple popping channel

Why is this a thing?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I like Dr Sandra Lee's videos because she's always chatting with her patient while cutting or punching a hole into their skin.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Also if anyone is interested some test grading footage of what we shot over the weekend.

PW: speekycroopy

If you have any notes on the grading let us know. Want to get it right.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Criminal Minded posted:

I care about both of those movies' original versions but they're not being constantly re-released in the wrong version and they didn't constantly have weird new bad stuff added to them with each release. Star Wars' situation is pretty unique and baffling.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

The MSJ posted:

I like Dr Sandra Lee's videos because she's always chatting with her patient while cutting or punching a hole into their skin.

Yeah, she's pretty wild, it's a lot more personal and better structured than what I'm used to, which is mostly this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L8xUljpzpg

CPL593H posted:

Why is this a thing?

Because the world needs all kinds of doctors, and scopophilia is irrepressible.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

CPL593H posted:

Oh I totally get that. That's the point I was making. I just get annoyed that people pretend like this one's not important because some nerds on the internet complain about it.

I should try to empathize more, since, for years, my favorite film (Apocalypse Now) was only available in a 2:1 aspect ratio because Vittorio Storaro went fuckin' insane. And then, on top of that, when they finally released a remastered DVD set, they incorporated seamless branching for the Redux that meant the film had to be split over two discs for size reasons. I was so loving annoyed that I ended up ripping the entire .ISO to my laptop, merging the video/audio files, and burning the result onto my own DVD-R so I could watch the film without interruption.

Thank god the blu-ray fixed that issue and featured the original 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

The Matrix got this garish green tint over the whole thing

This bothers me way more than the Special Edition stuff. So bad.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duGqrYw4usE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svnAD0TApb8

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Why is this a thing?

According to her, a lot of people actually find it soothing. I think it gives them a visceral feeling of seeing something wrong with the human body getting fixed, like a version of those "satisfying" videos.

This is one of the normal ones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2hmNkKVpDA&t=18s

This is one of the 'wild' ones. (warning: :nms:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYv9VQ4WDdc

Shot context?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sir Kodiak posted:

This bothers me way more than the Special Edition stuff. So bad.

Awful but the recolor on Do The Right Thing is the biggest atrocity in this vein so far.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I can't watch blackhead/pimple videos but I totally get it, it's like this visceral pleasure at seeing the physical expulsion of evil. I had a friend in high school who was obsessed with peeling his skin after getting a sunburn, so he'd purposefully get sunburns all the time just to make his skin all crusty and he'd peel it off in huge, long strips.

CPL593H posted:

It is when it's just a rehash of something he did 40 years ago.

It feels like a waste.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DeimosRising posted:

Awful but the recolor on Do The Right Thing is the biggest atrocity in this vein so far.

:yeah:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I can't watch blackhead/pimple videos but I totally get it, it's like this visceral pleasure at seeing the physical expulsion of evil. I had a friend in high school who was obsessed with peeling his skin after getting a sunburn, so he'd purposefully get sunburns all the time just to make his skin all crusty and he'd peel it off in huge, long strips.

I bet his skin isn't hosed up at all nowadays.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

haha

Lurdiak posted:

I bet his skin isn't hosed up at all nowadays.

No, yeah, it got pretty bad, it was like something out of a William S Burroughs story. Teenagers are pretty unbalanced.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/Bootleg_Stuff/status/836839428387659776

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Skwirl posted:

Hey everyone, this right here is the best thread on the entire forum.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809527

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

"An Alien, a Predator & a Terminator pouring out their 40s at Bill Paxton’s grave
As requested by Patton Oswalt and sent to me by our mutual Twitter followers" -Jim'll Paint It https://jimll.co.uk/

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CPL593H posted:

Why is this a thing?

Because pus is fun.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The best part about this pic is he got every one of those characters right in terms of the films Paxton was in.

Goddamn I miss that man already.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Also note the necklace on the gravestone.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I loving hate this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT2_F-1esPk

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Rewatching Predator cause some people were talking about how the creature effects somehow get worse with every sequel and yeah, holy poo poo, the face animatronics on the predator are loving incredible considering that the final design was a mid-production rush fix

my favorite is the "is this fucker serious?" expression it makes in the finale when it notices Arnold's spike trap

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think what makes the Star Wars version talk interesting is that everyone involved, deep down, understands that there's really no (comparitive) market for the original versions of the OT. There's been too many Special Editions of Star Wars, on too many formats, that that have printed way too much money, to make the notion that people secretly want the original versions an actual thing.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 1, 2017

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

I think what makes the Star Wars version talk interesting is that everyone involved, deep down, understands that there's really no comparitively market for the original versions of the OT. There's been too many Special Editions of Star Wars, on too many formats, that that have printed way too much money, to make the notion that people secretly want the original versions an actual thing.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

MisterBibs posted:

I think what makes the Star Wars version talk interesting is that everyone involved, deep down, understands that there's really no (comparitive) market for the original versions of the OT. There's been too many Special Editions of Star Wars, on too many formats, that that have printed way too much money, to make the notion that people secretly want the original versions an actual thing.

How are you real

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Rock posted:

You can literally see my wheels spinnin' on whether or not I should hit the stage and take down an Oscars producer who I thought went rogue and was trying to sabotage our final moment of the night as La La Land was accepting for Best Picture.

Seconds before this I saw out of the corner of my eye, the producer saying loudly, "NO IT'S MOONLIGHT, the winner is MOONLIGHT!" as he walked up onto the stage.
When he walked on stage, I remember sitting up and saying to @laurenhashianofficial, "What the f*cks he doing?". She grabbed my arm and said, "Oh my God, they made a mistake". The rest was history.
In crazy moments like that, we need leaders to step up and take charge... I give La La Land producer, Jordan Horowitz much respect for stepping up to the mic and calling the Moonlight filmmakers and actors to the stage to accept their award.
Thankfully, Jordan gave us the clarity we needed, because as much as I love and adore Meryl, I was willing to rumble over her to take down the producer going rogue. 😂

No business like show business. #Oscars #ThatLook #MattDamonWasReadyToGoBourne #IWasReadyToGoHobbs #LetsDoThis

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why would an Oscars producer go rogue and try to ruin "our night"? Sounds like The Rock is just looking for a fight.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
My favourite part of that picture is Affleck looking over at his boy, Damon. It's what would happen if a teacher swore at a school assembly.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Timby posted:

So for those wondering, the 4K restoration that's been done on Star Wars Episode IV (the one Gareth Edwards said he saw a few months ago) is not of the unaltered version, but rather the Special Edition.

Can't wait for despecialized 4k star wars with the blurry speeder superimposed from a VHS bootleg

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Criminal Minded posted:

Actually a lot of people did get pissed about the matrix Blu-ray????

I was definitely pissed they hosed up the Buffy blurays and also that my Blu-ray of Trancers doesn't have the blooper reel

My Blu-ray of Kenny Rogers as The Gambler however is flawless

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's a fine idea, poor execution. The action isn't up to snuff and Jeremy Renner is boring. The two most recent Universal Soldiers blow it out of the water.

edit: Though, the opening sequence in the cabin is good. You've got Oscar Isaac and the fight with the drone is well done.

I didn't know Oscar Isaac was in it and I'm one of those weirdos that actually likes Jeremy Renner so I'll probably check it out. The new Universal Soldiers movies are a high bar.

K. Waste posted:

Like, give me a specific shot, because it seems like there are a lot of them where there might be a considerable amount of both CGI and 'practical' effects work, but I can't necessarily discern, as Death By would have it, how it's 'not meshing' with the environment or looking otherwise 'off' physically.

You have to see it in motion but this was the shot where I was like "holy poo poo that's bad"

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 1, 2017

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Halsey is my bicon but this song is played out. Here's a better one from her:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qjl4lysi_s

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Oh you :allears:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
New Alien trailer is just kind of a bummer, like Scott is locked into some Sisyphus deal remaking the first movie until he makes the franchise fetishists happy

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

morestuff posted:

New Alien trailer is just kind of a bummer, like Scott is locked into some Sisyphus deal remaking the first movie until he makes the franchise fetishists happy

I haven't seen the new trailer, but Prometheus seemed pretty far removed from the original Alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

This song is a war crime, it's got the worst hook and uses it like 3 different times and it's never any less obnoxious and cloying. gently caress I hate it, even moreso than most pop music, it sounds like it was created in a lab, scientifically designed to be as big a hit as possible. Gotta listen to some loving Slayer to get the memory of that song out of my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIGA616PxeE

• Locked thread