Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

PenguinKnight posted:

The interesting thing is, imo, that for the first half of the 90s, animated films were kind of a wasteland outside of Disney/Ghibli

For all the complaining we do in this thread, the animation field is more diverse these days than it has been throughout most of the 20th century. It just tends to be forgotten easily because a handful of fairly homogenous releases dominate the box office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

mycot posted:

Didn't Storks actually go out of its way to not be totally straight (despite the premise) by having one of the couples receiving babies be same-sex?

Maybe - if you're talking about that one couple that isn't fully in frame and only appear for a fraction of a second. Totally inclusive.

Hey did you hear about that new other inclusive film? They have a minority playing the role of a servant for nearly a full minute of screentime. So brave. So progressive.

Edit: Isn't it also weird that the message of the film's climax seems to be that a 'Baby Factory' is meant to be in constant production of offspring, while completely discarding any attempt at economic gain? You know, as illustrated by the poorly engineering shipping plant being thrown into the ocean. Almost as if the movie is trying to trying to say something about the intended purpose or role of....hrmm, I have a hard time pinning that down.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 28, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I liked the funny wolfs and also the birds

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Not Nausicaa, it was Nadia: Secret of Blue Water, one of Gainax's earlier works.

I got the wrong N to A anime, shucks.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

I liked the funny wolfs and also the birds

The wolves were amazing. I went back and watched their sequences a few times just to savor seeing some good Canis representation on the screen.

I might need to buy a replacement avatar for this based off that sequence. Form of a wolf-post indeed.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Canidae is a good family. Probably in my top 5.

Yes, get a wolf avatar! An animated gif of all their transformations, if you can squeeze it under the file size limit.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Canidae is a good family. Probably in my top 5.

Yes, get a wolf avatar! An animated gif of all their transformations, if you can squeeze it under the file size limit.

I doubt I can get that under the limit, its pretty tight. I'll have to try to get the best I can get from the film. There are some good closeups and framing I think at the bridge scene.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Started watching The Lion King 1.5 tonight, tired now, will finish tomorrow.

It's really not good, guys. In fact it's quite bad :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hedrigall posted:

Started watching The Lion King 1.5 tonight, tired now, will finish tomorrow.

It's really not good, guys. In fact it's quite bad :(

Incorrect

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Samuel Clemens posted:

For all the complaining we do in this thread, the animation field is more diverse these days than it has been throughout most of the 20th century. It just tends to be forgotten easily because a handful of fairly homogenous releases dominate the box office.

He he remember when Boxtrolls made that super inclusive trailer and then in the actual movie the kid completely ignores his foster family for his biological dad he doesn't even know. good stuff.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Hedrigall posted:

The real joke is the complete lack of LGBTQI representation in modern animated films :colbert:

Remember when people wanted to boycott Finding Dory because two women were standing too close to the same stroller

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

https://youtu.be/1JG6f5_37tg

Clip of the song "Gaston" from Beast '17

It's.... not very rousing.

This both works and doesn't work for me. I have to see the rest of the movie to really get a feel for what they're going for with Gaston. I like reinterpreting him as a pompous prettyboy that LeFou has a severe man crush on. But without him being the man's man all the other men look up to it begs the question how he's able to rally the whole village to storm the Beast's castle.

Hopefully it's done in a way that makes sense, so I will reserve judgment.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's necessarily a soothing form of storytelling, like having an emotional epiphany in a windowless Target.

And if Pixar decided to recruit Charlie Kaufman to adapt a Don DeLillo novel, then we'd see some poo poo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/Trolls/status/836647364978843649

Get a time machine and tell my past self that I would actually be interested in this and I'd have laughed in your face

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I swear the music is overpowering the lyrics very slightly.

Their LeFou is spot-on, but I'm not really sold on their Gaston. Voice should be deeper!

Though on the subject of deep voices, Cogsworth went too far in the other direction. I'm always immediately put off by that deep voice anytime he speaks in a trailer. Got too used to David Ogden Stiers's take, I guess...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

https://twitter.com/Trolls/status/836647364978843649

Get a time machine and tell my past self that I would actually be interested in this and I'd have laughed in your face

I'm... excited about this

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

K. Waste posted:

And if Pixar decided to recruit Charlie Kaufman to adapt a Don DeLillo novel, then we'd see some poo poo.

I mean, White Noise is basically a Pixar movie in book form.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
boulet is my favourite creature

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
My friend got me some cute knick-knacks in Taiwan :3:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Come on now Spider-Man is a teenager and also in an entirely different universe.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Hey, man, Batman is only an ephebophile

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Uh it's spider MAN not spider child.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Spidey went to college and runs a company now, it's probably fine

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

There's a snake in my... pants ;)

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Is that your bat-grappling hook, or are you just happy to see me?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Hedrigall posted:

Uh it's spider MAN not spider child.
i found a knock-off toy labelled SPIDER-PERSON at a market once, i applaud this inclusive marketing

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

nerdman42 posted:

Spidey went to college and runs a company now, it's probably fine

Ain't nothin wrong with two manly business men giving each other manly, platonic, pecks on the lips with a bit of tongue.

Now this ain't theatrical animation, but I figure it's relevant to this thread's interests. Open Mike Eagle released a music video for one of his tracks, done by Studio Doulzia. The group is apparently an international gathering of artists from Canada to Japan. As a result, the video itself looks like one of those old Anime music videos cut up to American songs, while also holding the feeling that it's being cut up by a DJ live to go with the track. It's pretty neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tODoC8poz7Y

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RarxHqNgzvU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Not even an oscar nomination for this, SAD

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
In 2004 Sascha co-created the 'Guardian of the Highlands' concept with his wife Tessa who penned the screenplay. Taking almost 12 months to illustrate the outline storyboards and draw all the characters by hand, Sascha is a perfectionist. Its the originality, depth of character and attention to detail that provides this concept its appealing and distinctive look. He spent months developing in-depth personalities for all the characters before production even began, recalling all those years of learning while studying neuro-psychology at Zurich University, Switzerland. Clearly one of the most important personalities was Sir Billi, voiced by Sir Sean.

This animated feature plays like none of the current fare on the market place. With it’s very distinctive look and warm textures it is rich with authentic and discreetly embedded humorous and artistic details within many of the interior scenes. Director and illustrator Sascha Hartmann paid homage to many of the world’s greatest painters including Jan Vermeer’s, Rembrandt to Caravaggio, with his clever twist on the Sir Billi’s art collection.

“Jan Vermeer’s ‘Geographer’ is a brilliant example of the masterful use of natural light. Vermeer has been a major influence on modern cinematographers and especially with our approach to lighting in Guardian of the Highlands,” stated Hartmann. Hartmann’s love of art, history and literature is splattered throughout the animated feature with clever references to Samuel Beckett and his very humorous iconography, with additional references to Michael Curtiz ‘Casablanca’ and Bob Fosse’s ‘Cabaret’, smoothly animated and played by Alan Cumming’s character, ‘Gordon the Goat’. We also see that Hartmann reinforces this trait of the reluctant hero, which can be depicted from other cinematic references in this iconography.

I'm getting punk'd again, aren't i

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Lion King 1.5 is loving atrocious and I'm struggling to get through it. It's just endless fart jokes, really stupid fourth-wall breaks (hey let's stop the movie for 45 seconds so Pumbaa can get a snack! Nope, that's the whole joke!), and repeating gags and little bits of animation from the first film in really uncreative ways. And Marge Simpson has some lines. It's so goddamn bad. Why was it made?? What audience is it for?? It's the worst cash grab ever, it's totally pointless and plotless and loving badddddd

It's the Lion King equivalent of "Hey Nikki and Paulo were in all these scenes since season 1, see? They experienced all the things that happened too!"

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 1, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Looks like an episode of "Fireman Sam"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The backgrounds are really nice, but all the animation looks like it needs another 3-4 levels of detail rendered on. What's with the white glow around all the characters?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

This is some kind of prank, right? It has to be.

I can't wait to hear SMG's explanation of why this is a subversive masterpiece.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

I like how LXG was bad enough to get Sean Connery to retire from acting. This though? Perfectly acceptable.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Hedrigall posted:

Lion King 1.5 is loving atrocious and I'm struggling to get through it. It's just endless fart jokes, really stupid fourth-wall breaks (hey let's stop the movie for 45 seconds so Pumbaa can get a snack! Nope, that's the whole joke!), and repeating gags and little bits of animation from the first film in really uncreative ways. And Marge Simpson has some lines. It's so goddamn bad. Why was it made?? What audience is it for?? It's the worst cash grab ever, it's totally pointless and plotless and loving badddddd

It's the Lion King equivalent of "Hey Nikki and Paulo were in all these scenes since season 1, see? They experienced all the things that happened too!"

I take it you domt dig it?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

starkebn posted:

Looks like an episode of "Fireman Sam"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRRSfE-Z8g8

You're being very rude to fireman sam right now

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
'In the deepest darkest highlands, where evil lurks'

So.. Glasgow?

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRRSfE-Z8g8

You're being very rude to fireman sam right now

It's Sam Tan, heathen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltiUTF6Yc8U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Isn't the backstory to the Sir Billi thing that Sean Connery declared he'd only come out of retirement for Scottish-only productions?