Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Antti posted:

I've been playing six hours of Big Pharma and while it's fun for what it is, I have a nagging feeling that Factorio (which I haven't purchased yet) is actually the platonic ideal of this type of manufacturing/optimization game, and Big Pharma is the shadow on the cave wall. Am I right?

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Croccers posted:

Wait what?

I think it means that if you're idling for cards, don't also be connected to a VAC-protected game server at the same time or it'll kick you off.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Croccers posted:

Wait what?

If you were dumb enough to be running these things while also in a game that has VAC-enabled servers, you'll be kicked. So this is not gonna be a thing for anyone with any sense.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think it was more the highlighting of CCleaner.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Oh.

Honestly that one probably does some probing that flips VAC's switch, does it still offer to "clean up" Steam data like it did last time I ran it?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

duckfarts posted:

So I started playing Song of the Deep after getting it in the humble freedom bundle and it's pretty chill and decent subvania so far, worth a look if you picked up that bundle
The main problem is that it gets old really fast. For example, there's like five enemy types in all - and they all get a stronger palette swap whenever you get a new weapon.
It's not bad but it gets boring really fast and doesn't ever get better.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think it was more the highlighting of CCleaner.
Yeah.
I'm going to be lazy and copypaste the Wikipedia article on what it does:

quote:

CCleaner can delete temporary or potentially unwanted files left by certain programs, including Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari, Windows Media Player, eMule, Google Toolbar, Netscape, Microsoft Office, Nero, Adobe Acrobat, McAfee, Adobe Flash Player, Sun Java, WinRAR, WinAce, WinZip and GIMP[16] along with browsing history, cookies, recycle bin, memory dumps, file fragments, log files, system caches, application data, autocomplete form history, and various other data.[17] The program also includes a registry cleaner to locate and correct problems in the Windows registry, such as missing references to shared DLLs, unused registration entries for file extensions, and missing references to application paths.[16]
It's not an active malware scanner or anything. The main use of it is to hunt down useless pointless space-wasting leftover install/update files and temp stuff. Also clean up dead registry entries.
What does Steam have to do with it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Dunno! The newer versions of Ccleaner have a monitor app that sits in the tray and is on by default, I assume it's something to do with that.

Also, is Torment turn based or cruddy real-time-with-pause?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

duckfarts posted:

hey buddy

So I started playing Song of the Deep after getting it in the humble freedom bundle and it's pretty chill and decent subvania so far, worth a look if you picked up that bundle

It wasn't a bad game and takes a little bit of time to beat. The boss fights were a let down though. They aren't really complicated just need to find the move to attack them.

And I swear the game ends and it's like " oh poo poo that was the last boss, i had no idea"

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

kirbysuperstar posted:

Dunno! The newer versions of Ccleaner have a monitor app that sits in the tray and is on by default, I assume it's something to do with that.

Turn-based. Every character gets a move and an action, so it's kind of like XCOM's blue/gold move system.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

This only applies to multiplayer games, right?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

cruddy real-time-with-pause?

you talkin poo poo about baldurs gate m8?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

He's right to

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Antti posted:

Turn-based. Every character gets a move and an action, so it's kind of like XCOM's blue/gold move system.

Oh, cool.

Yes.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Antti posted:

I've been playing six hours of Big Pharma and while it's fun for what it is, I have a nagging feeling that Factorio (which I haven't purchased yet) is actually the platonic ideal of this type of manufacturing/optimization game, and Big Pharma is the shadow on the cave wall. Am I right?
Big Pharma is a business sim where you happen to make things on conveyor belts. Its not even in the same neighborhood as Factorio.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

you stay out of this

rtwp > turn based for games like that and here's why:
turn based is really good for absolute beginners, you get 1 action at a time and that's about it, every fight can last a while

rtwp = if you're really powerful in game battles can last 5-10 seconds as opposed to 1-2 minutes. You can press pause and issue commands to your whole party

also most modern games like pillars of eternity you can set the pause after every single action so it's basically turn based lol

really this illustrates why arcanum is secretly the best wrpg because it has both systems and you can change it in the options menu

also it's torment so the combat is probably 100% avoidable the 3 times in the entire game it happens because you can convince the enemies they don't actually exist or something

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Tapping the spacebar in Arcanum also toggles between real-time and turn-based.It's handy for when the game gets bogged down on an enemy's turn.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Wamdoodle posted:

That REALLYDAD difficulty is an in joke that Daniel Remar puts in all their games and it's always some insane difficulty. It was in Hero Core, Iji, and Hyper Princess Pitch. Also want to add both Princess Remedy games are good and so are the ones I mentioned.

I have played Hero and Iji, I'll have to try HPP.

I figured it was a gag, but it seems like a ton of work for just a joke.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

you stay out of this

turn based is really good for absolute beginners, you get 1 action at a time and that's about it, every fight can last a while

rtwp = if you're really powerful in game battles can last 5-10 seconds as opposed to 1-2 minutes. You can press pause and issue commands to your whole party

also most modern games like pillars of eternity you can set the pause after every single action so it's basically turn based lol

really this illustrates why arcanum is secretly the best wrpg because it has both systems and you can change it in the options menu

also it's torment so the combat is probably 100% avoidable the 3 times in the entire game it happens because you can convince the enemies they don't actually exist or something

otoh baldur's gate is clunky as poo poo

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

HPP is good.
And there's also http://www.remar.se/daniel/ggc.php

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

you stay out of this

Being able to grind through trash combats quicker isn't the amazing argument you seem to think it is

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Just tried it and my god it's fun. SMASH TV

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Gort posted:

Being able to grind through trash combats quicker isn't the amazing argument you seem to think it is

I dunno, Berseria got a lot more enjoyable when I found out I could set a character to auto and have them fight trash fights for me :v:

I liked RTWP in BG, it let me think tactically with enemy mages and hard targets, but also let me advance the pace of action as I wished. I always put the blame for clunkiness on sticking to D&D 2nd Edition.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 2, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

zedprime posted:

Big Pharma is a business sim where you happen to make things on conveyor belts. Its not even in the same neighborhood as Factorio.

So if my favourite part of Big Pharma involves the conveyor belts, I should buy Factorio?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Factorio is all about the belts.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Antti posted:

So if my favourite part of Big Pharma involves the conveyor belts, I should buy Factorio?
Not necessarily, which was my point. The total of logistics in Big Pharma is deciding how to use you input/output slots. The conveyor belts are a logistics red herring because they are just part of the tetromino puzzle that comprises placing equipment in the smallest space possible. Factorio is about turning conveyor belts into a logistics highway.

Or in a simple comparison, the puzzling over conveyor belts in Big Pharma is space management. Factorio conveyor belts have a lot more to do with topology not unlike a road.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Futuresight posted:

I hate that you need to find the map dude to map an area though. I've got 4 zones I don't have maps to: The foggy place, the fungal place, the crystal mines, and the place where you get the dream nail. It's kinda frustrating not to have a map .

Good news for you: you don't have to find Cornifer for those maps, go back to Iselda's shop in Dirtmouth and they should appear for sale there.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Croccers posted:

Yeah.
I'm going to be lazy and copypaste the Wikipedia article on what it does:

It's not an active malware scanner or anything. The main use of it is to hunt down useless pointless space-wasting leftover install/update files and temp stuff. Also clean up dead registry entries.
What does Steam have to do with it?

CCleaner is probably on that list as it can clean the RAM cache (pardon my poo poo terminology here I'm gonna make mistakes). Basically what happens is people load their cheats, scrub their memory, and then launch Steam and VAC can't read the RAM cache to see if cheats are loaded. Obviously there are other considerations, and ways to be detected, but this is one way people avoid VAC detection. It can also clean DNS Caches which I suppose can help cover your tracks better as Steam likes to read those to see if you visit known hacking sites. Just a guess.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

zedprime posted:

Not necessarily, which was my point. The total of logistics in Big Pharma is deciding how to use you input/output slots. The conveyor belts are a logistics red herring because they are just part of the tetromino puzzle that comprises placing equipment in the smallest space possible. Factorio is about turning conveyor belts into a logistics highway.

Or in a simple comparison, the puzzling over conveyor belts in Big Pharma is space management. Factorio conveyor belts have a lot more to do with topology not unlike a road.

Interesting. I just discovered there's a demo so I think I'll find out for myself.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

If only they could make this system work with DS3 or something. I am really hating on that game after experiencing the unprecedented volume of cheaters and obscure gameplay bullshit. Meaning of course some sort of PvP Watchdog or anything really, to deal with all the retards using Cheat Engine.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 2, 2017

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Downs Duck posted:

If only they could make this system work with DS3 or something. I am really hating on that game after experiencing the unprecedented volume of cheaters and obscure gameplay bullshit. Meaning of course some sort of PvP Watchdog or anything really, to deal with all the retards using Cheat Engine.
Too bad you can't block them, kek

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Little Bitch Man posted:

Too bad you can't block them, kek

Great response. You seem like a little bitch, man.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Downs Duck posted:

Great response. You seem like a little bitch, man.
At least I didn't make a stupidly long essay criticizing a game and then block anyone that questions me.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

Yeah, that is the biggest implementation of that joke. I wouldn't be surprised if it was done for just the first few areas. I doubt you could play the whole game that way. Haven't tried it though.

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

Just tried it and my god it's fun. SMASH TV

If you liked Hyper Princess Pitch you should try the game it's based on: Operation Carnage. Old school DOS though so you'll need to set it up with DOSBox or you can play it in your browser on the Internet Archive, I forgot about that:

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Operation_Carnage_1996

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Wamdoodle posted:

Operation Carnage. Old school DOS though so you'll need to set it up with DOSBox or you can play it in your browser on the Internet Archive, I forgot about that:
https://archive.org/details/msdos_Operation_Carnage_1996

I did not know they emulated DOSBOX. This whole page is a treasure.

edit: Now I realize where my affinity comes from for HPP and Operation Carnage. They remind me of one of my all-time favorite arcade games, Gain Ground. I have played it in just about all its forms, including the weird PS2 remake.

Yikes A Zombie! fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 2, 2017

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Wamdoodle posted:

Yeah, that is the biggest implementation of that joke. I wouldn't be surprised if it was done for just the first few areas. I doubt you could play the whole game that way. Haven't tried it though.

I appreciated that ReallyJoel's Mom difficulty is actually a full thing in HPP, and also that someone did a TAS of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4u411bD980

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

bbcisdabomb posted:

I appreciated that ReallyJoel's Mom difficulty is actually a full thing in HPP, and also that someone did a TAS of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4u411bD980

I feel like the suplex is super forgiving when it comes to splash damage and the invulnerability time. Seems like you can stand in a crowd of robot santas and just suplex over and over.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Threep posted:

Did you miss the bench right before you enter the village proper?

Also if the Mantis Lords are giving you trouble, make sure you've upgraded your weapon first

The closest bench to the Mantis Lords is the one deep in the south-eastern corner of Mantis Village. From there you have to climb all the way up Mantis Village, then go all the way through the horizontal section of the Mantis Village, and then down the other vertical segment. It's pretty fast now that I've memorized it so well I can see it in my nightmares, but it's by no means short. And since it's the place where the bench is farthest away from the boss fight, it is of course full of enemies who do fast melee attacks that have a longer range than mine. This naturally fills me with joy, unless it's not opposite day.

I have both the ancient master's spinning charge attack and the blacksmith upgrade for the nail. I'll get it eventually, it'll just take a while to learn the patterns for #2 and #3. Currently I'm getting tripped up by their twin boomerang's weird path and wonky timing and that bit where they do double moves but each of them does a different one. I can do Mantis Lord #1 in my sleep at this point.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

kirbysuperstar posted:

People already said turn based but it's worth pointing out that asking about the combat system is sort of pointless -- I'm maybe 4 hours in and have not had to punch or stab a single person besides in the tutorial. Combat is not the focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

It's 11 am here, why is Shovel Knight already back up to $14.99?

• Locked thread