Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dammit ZiggyD don't hype don't hype my fuckin sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I played around with a Glacial Cascade mines build on PoBuilding and I thought it wound up pretty good, then I saw the mana cost. 158 mana per cast? What is this, a Kitava's Thirst build? Maybe I should just go ahead and wear Kitava's Thirst with it.
edit: oh I guess that's normal for spells.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 2, 2017

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mince Pieface posted:

Hmm... how much cast speed/mana regen do you need for bv berzerker now that the multiple instances bug is fixed so you can reasonably cast Blade Vortex? Do you absolutely need Spell Echo now?

mana is not relevant since you leech, and I would use faster casting to keep from lowering the double dipping

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

McFrugal posted:

I played around with a Glacial Cascade mines build on PoBuilding and I thought it wound up pretty good, then I saw the mana cost. 158 mana per cast? What is this, a Kitava's Thirst build? Maybe I should just go ahead and wear Kitava's Thirst with it.
edit: oh I guess that's normal for spells.

Mines are notoriously mana-hungry, yea

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MannersPlease posted:

MFW I spend 2 hours figuring out path of building and finally get my whole build together and have custom gear and everything and then manage to BSOD for the first time in literal years before I finish and save it.

MFW it's 2017 and I still have to manually save every 5 minutes out of fear of losing a file.

cool program though

What does MFW mean.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

euphronius posted:

What does MFW mean.

Men loving Women

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MannersPlease posted:

MFW I spend 2 hours figuring out path of building and finally get my whole build together and have custom gear and everything and then manage to BSOD for the first time in literal years before I finish and save it.

MFW it's 2017 and I still have to manually save every 5 minutes out of fear of losing a file.

cool program though

Name your builds and it should autosave.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

what's the best not-an-exe alternative to path of building?

I kinda don't want to run it on a work computer lol

euphronius posted:

What does MFW mean.

mfw it means my face when, back in the old days of 2009 people used to post reaction images but now it's a lot easier to just type mfw whenever something provokes a strong reaction

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
For whoever was asking about molten strike, it's pretty atrocious as a pack clearing skill unless it has a lot of help. The projectiles have a forward cone aoe that they can fall in that ends up kind of like ground slam with even shittier range and less consistency.

Great for bosses though, if you can afford to stand on their toes. By far the best ____ on hit attack skill in the game. Every league I try to do a gemini life/MoM molten strike build to take advantage of that, but I think now it might finally work out since claws have gotten some much needed attention.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Was watching uberelite's stream last night and he talked about how broken the new kaom's roots are for CI. Apparently they provide immunity to chill, freeze, stun, and temp chains. The "cannot be slowed" thing is the same wording as Juggernaut's unstoppable and freeze modifies animation speed https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/49az6s/psa_juggernauts_unstoppable_mechanics/

So you save a shitton of points skipping unwavering, have access to your amulet slot again for massive deeps, and you have a free flask suffix. Seems pretty good to me with the only downside being no ES and no movement speed. They're super easy to acquire too with the divination card.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

yum posted:

Was watching uberelite's stream last night and he talked about how broken the new kaom's roots are for CI. Apparently they provide immunity to chill, freeze, stun, and temp chains. The "cannot be slowed" thing is the same wording as Juggernaut's unstoppable and freeze modifies animation speed https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/49az6s/psa_juggernauts_unstoppable_mechanics/

So you save a shitton of points skipping unwavering, have access to your amulet slot again for massive deeps, and you have a free flask suffix. Seems pretty good to me with the only downside being no ES and no movement speed. They're super easy to acquire too with the divination card.

Yeah but gently caress using boots with no ms.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Thanks manners. I'm digging in.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mr. Whale posted:

Yeah but gently caress using boots with no ms.

whirling blades
shield charge

any questions

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

MannersPlease posted:

Funman: you can import my build by copy/pasta this longass code into the import/export box in Path of Building.
http://pastebin.com/Y9QDj8G1

Easy 10 million dps (5 mil vs "bosses") w/ conc effect. Who knows if this program is being accurate here or not, but either way the scourge+double dip is extremely overkill. Only expensive item required is The scourge, but if I want to switch over before I get that, I could just run a singularity and look super cool. Hell, I can just drop my shield and use both! Will be starting flameblast totems, maybe even as an elementalist, though totems with necro isn't too bad since you get some generic damage and lots of cast speed. Maybe will rework this poo poo and go lowlife/ci at some point and farm endgame bosses if I can be bothered.

Obviously my rolls on my gear won't be quite this good, but it's still just a bunch of rares for the most part. It's gonna be plenty enough. And I have really nothing else to invest it besides rares after I get my Scourge and Cherrubim's (or whatever other armor I decide to try). 2x gryphons on swap still leaves me with 3.8mil vs trash somehow?

Other potential setups: I could use cospri's will, I would lose a very small amount of dps (rapid decay does ALOT for me) and lose 300 hp, and gain either a ring slot or, more likely, adding enfeeble to my cwdt setup instead of inc duration. Probably will choose which of these I do based on the economy, I dunno if that other armor will become more expensive than cospri's somehow. Hell, I'll probably just stay in a tabula until I can 6L one of those!

Thanks, more than anything this showed me what i was doing wrong with path of building. With the berserker variety, and actually configuring the damage calculator correctly, I end up with 11 million dps against bosses, 4 million against shaper. Also i have been underestimating wither totem by a whole lot.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

whirling blades
shield charge

any questions

I hope you like getting stuck on pebbles.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

peak debt posted:

I hope you like getting stuck on pebbles.
I just hope he likes anything at all, movement skill spamming playstyle is lame as heck.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

whirling blades
shield charge

any questions

shield charge goes faster the more movement speed you have

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

shield charge goes faster the more movement speed you have
whirling blades it is then

like.....lmao kaoms roots are so good for whirling blade playstyle its nuts

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I just hope he likes anything at all, movement skill spamming playstyle is lame as heck.
mlyp

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YoungSexualNorton posted:

For whoever was asking about molten strike, it's pretty atrocious as a pack clearing skill unless it has a lot of help. The projectiles have a forward cone aoe that they can fall in that ends up kind of like ground slam with even shittier range and less consistency.

Great for bosses though, if you can afford to stand on their toes. By far the best ____ on hit attack skill in the game. Every league I try to do a gemini life/MoM molten strike build to take advantage of that, but I think now it might finally work out since claws have gotten some much needed attention.

Infenral Blow then? Im gonna have a warchief totem as well for extra deeps.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

It is a finely honed art. :colbert:

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008
Is there a reason the Vaal Spark builds I see aren't spending 4 points to get the potency of will cluster? (10 + 10 + 25 skill effect duration)

Gaining 45% duration for 4 points seems like a no brainer. Maybe they regain charges so fast from Chill/Sac Harvest the duration isn't needed? Idk.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Aaargh, build paralysis. Still dunno what I'm starting with. Why are there so many cool things?

The real trick is that whatever I start with needs to be cheap to get off the ground, and most of the things I want to do will probably cost a bunch for the first week. I could do that Hrimsorrow Ice Crash build as RT, I suppose, and respec over to crit if I get the currency to do it...though taking Inquisitor for RT seems dumb. I guess I could run it as Berserker and still get Huge Deeps? Gonna look at the tree again and see what I come up with.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Here is mine manners: http://pastebin.com/ujkXQr7j

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

ImsaKidd posted:

Is there a reason the Vaal Spark builds I see aren't spending 4 points to get the potency of will cluster? (10 + 10 + 25 skill effect duration)

Gaining 45% duration for 4 points seems like a no brainer. Maybe they regain charges so fast from Chill/Sac Harvest the duration isn't needed? Idk.

doesn't help the build much since there's a set number of projectiles from vaal spark

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
Since ED's damage is mainly from the debuff, is there any point to investing in projectile damage nodes? Seems like the build is just "get all chaos damage and DoT nodes, then survivability nodes to taste," which seems nice and simple.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

palecur posted:

Since ED's damage is mainly from the debuff, is there any point to investing in projectile damage nodes? Seems like the build is just "get all chaos damage and DoT nodes, then survivability nodes to taste," which seems nice and simple.

Boosts to ED's main shot also apply to the DoT

theshim
May 1, 2012

palecur posted:

Projectile damage scales the DoT for ED.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

insane how much work the beserker node does

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Newbie question: Whats the best way to find gear while levelling? Should I go for white items that have the right colors & links and upgrade them? just YOLO it and not wear gear until merciless?

The amount of randonmess in this game is pretty crazy - you have to find an item that your character can use, AND it needs the right stats, AND it needs the right number of sockets, AND it needs the right links AND it needs the right colors.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Generally speaking, unless it's a unique that I'll be using at endgame that I can use earlier, I won't look at buying gear until ~A3M, if I can help it.

Guild stash helps some too

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Usually what I do is look out for a 4 link with the right colors for your main skill links, or at least the right base type to easily roll the right colors and stick with that for awhile regardless of its actual stats. For the other slots I just use whatever has the best stats and don't worry too much about linking up supporting skills until merciless.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lechtansi posted:

Newbie question: Whats the best way to find gear while levelling? Should I go for white items that have the right colors & links and upgrade them? just YOLO it and not wear gear until merciless?

The amount of randonmess in this game is pretty crazy - you have to find an item that your character can use, AND it needs the right stats, AND it needs the right number of sockets, AND it needs the right links AND it needs the right colors.
For me, it mostly is just yoloing gear with a 4-link damage skill (on the first character of the league). I do half-assedly fix my resists before bosses until Merciless, when I start to always maintain (nearly-)capped resistances and actually start deliberating over other defensive stats on the gear. Nothing involved with crafting, beyond occasional Orb of Alchemy/Essence for a good base with nice sockets/links or a couple Chromatic Orbs to get the right colour. I generally start concerning myself about the gear I'm wearing once I farm level 70 or so in Dried Lake, depending on my luck that far.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Alright, think I'll level with this as RT with the two non-crit Inquisitor nodes until 68, then respec for crit and end up at something like this for my Hrimburn Hegemony's Era full cold Ice Crash. Any thoughts or critiques?

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

Lechtansi posted:

There will be alot of hand-me-downs in the guild stash as day 1-2 progress.

Knowing how to play well (not tanking more than you need to, flask management, etc) and using a strong leveling skill (not going viper strike melee splash, etc) will carry you 95% of the way to merciless dried lakes. Until then, You might want to yolo alch, trans+aug, or maybe even use a few alts on an item with ideal socket setup - on day one it's much more likely that you can afford to alt 4L with good colors in hopes of a strong life roll than it is you can afford to jewel+fuse+chrome an item that already has good rolls.

As stated, once you are at merci lakes, gearing become alot more reasonable. An abundance of both currency and bases dropping give you more options to buy or craft in whatever way you feel like.

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 2, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

^ Reminded me that I also craft my flasks a bit to always have at least one bleed removal on me, and 2 quicksilvers for everything that is not a bossfight.

J
Jun 10, 2001

With essence leaguestones, essences will be more attainable while levelling too. Regardless of what essence it is, treat it like an alch orb and use it on a well linked piece of gear.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
The only crafting I'd bother with before A3M is flasks. Having a bleed/frozen remove is gonna save you so many times.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

cinci zoo sniper posted:

^ Reminded me that I also craft my flasks a bit to always have at least one bleed removal on me, and 2 quicksilvers for everything that is not a bossfight.

Definitely have a bleed flask for Dominus, otherwise you're going to have a bad time (probably).

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

Mr. Whale posted:

doesn't help the build much since there's a set number of projectiles from vaal spark

But they pierce, so more duration means there is more opportunity for each spark to do damage, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

ImsaKidd posted:

But they pierce, so more duration means there is more opportunity for each spark to do damage, right?

If you're in a boss fight in an enclosed space sure, but that build isn't really meant to handle high tier maps or guardians. You just pop vinktars and vaal spark and that's usually enough. For trash clearing it doesn't matter since they melt and the projectiles expire when they get far enough away.

• Locked thread