Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Simplex posted:

If I were you I would probably be far more concerned with the relationship between the US military and Hollywood than Hollywood and China.

One of the things I'll give the Jeej, he made the military the villains in Super 8 and gave no fucks about it. That needs to happen more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking of US military and Asia stuff, the director of Kubo & The Two String, Travis Knight, is making his live action debut with the Transformers spinoff Bumblebee.

I also just found out his father was a co-founder Nike, and apparently Knight's studio Laika is owned by it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Logan was pretty drat good so I'd like to bless whomever looked at the flaming wreck that was X-Men Origins: Wolverine and thought it sucked enough that they could go ahead with The Wolverine to wash the taste out.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

DeimosRising posted:

Snyder is 100% the Verhoeven of the last decade

This is extremely triggering.

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of US military and Asia stuff, the director of Kubo & The Two String, Travis Knight, is making his live action debut with the Transformers spinoff Bumblebee.

I also just found out his father was a co-founder Nike, and apparently Knight's studio Laika is owned by it.

It's why the studio can go on indefinitely even though their movies don't do well at the box-office.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

How Is bumble bee interesting enough to warrant a whole film?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The Saddest Rhino posted:

How Is bumble bee interesting enough to warrant a whole film?

Many people identify with the lame one. They know they are the Bumblebee of their lives.

Edit: I like to think I'm Donatello, but I'm probably Irma.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 3, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

One of the things I'll give the Jeej, he made the military the villains in Super 8 and gave no fucks about it. That needs to happen more often.

Totally.

Of course you'll have to set your movie in the 70s so you can use old jeeps and such because the military won't exactly let you shoot on an aircraft carrier

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

FilthyImp posted:

Logan was pretty drat good so I'd like to bless whomever looked at the flaming wreck that was X-Men Origins: Wolverine and thought it sucked enough that they could go ahead with The Wolverine to wash the taste out.

The succes of Deadpool has a lot more to do with Logan being made than anything else.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nerds are desperate to convince themselves that Snyder is actually producing Satire.

Actually nerds hate Snyder because he's a big dumb frat guy Fake Nerd ruining the sanctity of their precious comic book adaptations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Nobody hates Zack Snyder. Even the people who say they do are probably just incorrectly blaming him for things more accurately left at the feet of David Goyer. And David Goyer doesn't look like he lifts, like, at all, bro.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Don't tell me who I hate

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

editing my posts to praise batman vs superman is violence

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Simplex posted:

If I were you I would probably be far more concerned with the relationship between the US military and Hollywood than Hollywood and China.

Yeah the CCP censoring movies for political content is pretty garbage but so is the way the US military deals with Hollywood, and also to a certain extent the way that other financial interests in Hollywood influence the political content of movies. Like, both China and the US have issues with those in power influencing what media is produced and distributed to the public and it's incredibly troubling. The CCP being undisputably worse about it doesn't exempt the US.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I attended a screening of Logan where people brought babies and children to watch an R rated movie

Movie ruled though, despite the constant crying of the younger audience

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FCKGW posted:

Is anyone making/made a GamerGate movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfamFbvmgIA

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Worth it for HBomb's Measured Response.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Red Bones posted:

Yeah the CCP censoring movies for political content is pretty garbage but so is the way the US military deals with Hollywood, and also to a certain extent the way that other financial interests in Hollywood influence the political content of movies. Like, both China and the US have issues with those in power influencing what media is produced and distributed to the public and it's incredibly troubling. The CCP being undisputably worse about it doesn't exempt the US.

I really don't understand this argument people have against the army in films. If they're being asked to be in a film, then they of course would only want to represent themselves positively. Not a lot of people would appear in the film if it made them look like a fascist or racist. So if you want those million dollar tanks or planes to show up in a film, then you're going to want to be represented well in the final product. Otherwise, good luck to your props and vfx department.

Said as a doughy white boy who has never served.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Bob Iger has to personally apologize to the leader of Kenya

Yeah, Obama isn't going to like this at all

Whooo got that joke in just in time

*gives self high five*

*thinks its 2011*

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, Obama isn't going to like this at all

Whooo got that joke in just in time

*gives self high five*

*thinks its 2011*
                        /

:(

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Barry lovs jokes about himself, he sometimes saunters into the office calling himself the Islamic Shock Barack Obama for goddsakes!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Ghost in the Shell suddenly swapped out The Major's name from Motoko Kusanagi to Mira

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4we5kJsFZ4

Not sure if it is just part of some bigger thing or if they actually changed her name for the movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Was there every any reason to suspect that the character's name was Motoko? I can remember no official press materials/advertisements ever referring to Johansson's character as anything other than "Major." People just seemed to understand intuitively that "Major" was functionally the same character as the one from the anime, and then based on that conflated their names.

Like, why should we expect that this is a 'late game' swap? How is this different from Sadako becoming Samara?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tars Tarkas posted:

Not sure if it is just part of some bigger thing or if they actually changed her name for the movie.
The movie is basically a drunk American trying to remember the plot points he read on Wikipedia, so I don't think we should be surprised when the character names change. I'll be surprised if she's not named Mira Carter or something. Or when the world is really "Pan Angeles, 2437" and we retread some dumb Oriental Supremacy plotline from the 80s where the Sino-Nihon Alliance is crushing our good American economy.

From the trailers, it seems like they've already made Cyberization some kind of edge case supersoldier Deus Ex I Didn't Ask for This bullshit, instead of an accepted part of society that mirrors our increasing reliance on computers/the internet (will full-body prosthesis being uncommon due to maintenance and cost, but not unique).

Her existence being prompted due to TERRISM instead of a horrible childhood illness or accident is bullshit though.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 3, 2017

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

K. Waste posted:

Like, why should we expect that this is a 'late game' swap? How is this different from Sadako becoming Samara?

They never denied she was Motoko Kusanagi until now. Like she Major but any references in interviews gave her the name, even in articles defending the cast for ScarJo. You would think that they'd bring that up the name change when defending that. I was reading an article that Oshii was interviewed under the impression she was Motoko, not "Mira".

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

There is also this set picture:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Tron might be rebootted with Jared Leto. Disney's got to burn all that Avengers cash somehow

quote:

Disney is planning to get back on the grid.

The studio is in the very early stages of development for a new Tron movie, with Oscar-winning actor Jared Leto circling to star, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

No writer has been hired at this exploratory stage, and no filmmaker is involved. Justin Springer, who co-produced Tron: Legacy and exec produced the Tom Cruise sci-fi movie Oblivion, will produce. Leto and and his producing partner Emma Ludbrook would also be involved in some producing capacity if the project moves forward.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/tron-reboot-jared-leto-circling-lead-role-new-disney-film-982575

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Young Freud posted:

They never denied she was Motoko Kusanagi until now. Like she Major but any references in interviews gave her the name, even in articles defending the cast for ScarJo. You would think that they'd bring that up the name change when defending that. I was reading an article that Oshii was interviewed under the impression she was Motoko, not "Mira".

Tars Tarkas posted:

There is also this set picture:

Fair enough.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Oh boy. An outdated franchise, the last film of which didn't do all that well at the box office or with critics, and one of the most obnoxious dickheads in Hollywood today.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Would Jared Leto be Tron or Flynn? Because Jared Leto is no Jeff Bridges.

Or maybe he'd be Sark?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tars Tarkas posted:

Tron might be rebootted with Jared Leto. Disney's got to burn all that Avengers cash somehow

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/tron-reboot-jared-leto-circling-lead-role-new-disney-film-982575

I thought I just read a few days ago that Tron 3 was on stasis indefinitely because now that Disney can juggle Marvel and Star Wars forever they're having a hard time finding a slot for Tron.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Leto as MCP, no effects, all Leto!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I thought I just read a few days ago that Tron 3 was on stasis indefinitely because now that Disney can juggle Marvel and Star Wars forever they're having a hard time finding a slot for Tron.

I am 99% sure that was just Kosinski trying to get his project some publicity to try to leverage it back into gear, but Disney already moved on without him. The Kosinski source was here - http://collider.com/tron-3-story-joseph-kosinski

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Why would anyone get upset over watching their country's land and monuments getting destroyed in silly CG riddled movies? I love watching the U.S. get its poo poo wrecked.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Tars Tarkas posted:

Yesss I feel like I'm the only one who watched Legacy and enjoyed it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
As excited as I am for a new Tron, I don't think it would be the same without Bruce Boxleitner.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Woof Blitzer posted:

I enjoyed it. It's a hell of a music video at times.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Woof Blitzer posted:

It had a transcendentally good soundtrack, and it was really, really pretty to look at. My wife loves it. She calls it alternately her favourite Daft Punk music video and her favourite screen saver.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

shadowvine118 posted:

Why would anyone get upset over watching their country's land and monuments getting destroyed in silly CG riddled movies? I love watching the U.S. get its poo poo wrecked.

It saddens me deeply that there's only one Kaiju movie taking place in my home country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFQqmHQMJBY (that bridge stunt tho!)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Casimir Radon posted:

Oh boy. An outdated franchise, the last film of which didn't do all that well at the box office or with critics, and one of the most obnoxious dickheads in Hollywood today.

The only reason Tron 3 was killed was Tomorrowland's failure.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I feel obligated to watch Ghost In The Shell because an actor from my country is playing a supporting character in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Ghost in the Shell suddenly swapped out The Major's name from Motoko Kusanagi to Mira

Mira Excalibur.

• Locked thread