Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I just started playing this and I'm enjoying it so far (after turning off Survival mode because the limited inventory combined with the food/water degredation rate was forcing me to spend too much time performing upkeep over having fun exploring). However, I have a question:

I just finished exploring the Aurora and now two of these giant fuckers keep circling my escape pod (and small base located nearby). Is there any way to chase them off/wait for them to gently caress off? Or am I going to have to relocate everything?

Edit: Correction, there's three of them now :wtc:

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Seamoth + torps or defense system.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Floodkiller posted:

I just started playing this and I'm enjoying it so far (after turning off Survival mode because the limited inventory combined with the food/water degredation rate was forcing me to spend too much time performing upkeep over having fun exploring). However, I have a question:

I just finished exploring the Aurora and now two of these giant fuckers keep circling my escape pod (and small base located nearby). Is there any way to chase them off/wait for them to gently caress off? Or am I going to have to relocate everything?

Edit: Correction, there's three of them now :wtc:

They're bugged in the latest stable patch, they're supposed to keep a safe distance to the escape pod. To chase them off you need a seamoth with the electricity upgrade, which needs a rather large base. You can also just use the knife to kill them if you're a bad enough dude.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Carcer posted:

Before or after a warper pulls you out of it?

Never actually happened to me, I always go punch them in the face too. They bugger off.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Today I found that if you use the prawn grappling hook on a stalker it pulls you to it and basically lets you ride it which is loads of fun, if entirely pointless.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Crazy people use it to rodeo reapers. More sane ones use it to latch onto things they want to punch to death.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Carcer posted:

Crazy people use it to rodeo reapers. More sane ones use it to latch onto things they want to punch to death.

Like reapers?

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Looks like the new update just hit today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oevfKz3u9KA

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Vorkosigan posted:

Looks like the new update just hit today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oevfKz3u9KA

ooh nice, just when I was starting to feel like I'd seen almost all the content.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I picked this up via the Humble Freedom Bundle and just wanted to say this game owns hard. I'm working through Survival mode right now and even though like, I don't particularly care about plot, the part where you show up at the landing site and watch the Sunbeam get blown out of the sky had me sitting here goin Ohhhhhh Shiiiiiiit

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Sadly, no updates or fixes to the myriad of VR bugs :smith:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, we can actually get infected now, huh? I assume there's a way to treat it.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
So loaded up to check out the new update and there is the front chunk of a skeleton cutting off half my base now. I guess this is what I get for building one down in the lost river area.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bhodi posted:

Sadly, no updates or fixes to the myriad of VR bugs :smith:

I'm pretty sure there's a few with the way the graphics are misbehaving less.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Loaded up the new content. The scanner room's range has been waaaaay upgraded. Good.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Speedball posted:

Loaded up the new content. The scanner room's range has been waaaaay upgraded. Good.

The range makes it actually useful, but the HUD is still a bit buggy. Markers can remain after you've gotten items, and sometimes it does strange things like put markers for scrap inside the lifepod even though there's no scrap in there.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
A nice touch: you can now clearly see mist covering both the islands from the shallows.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
There's also a new bug where if you ever use the seaglide and there's a transition (into a base, loading a game, etc.) your mans gets stuck with the two handed grip, suspending whatever item you've actually got equipped between the two in the middle of the screen.

lol it's faithful to the physics/lighting engine at least:

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 3, 2017

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm playing this and I am in the grand reef. I'm not sure what the problem is but when I go to a certain depth (or maybe just to a certain place) at 187m the corners of the HUD show some kind of yellow mark and my dude makes weird noises, but my health doesn't seem to be going down. Is it due to some kind of bad guy, or is it just a depth indicator? I've got the rebreather on.

edit: yeah I went to 197 with no ill effects. I wonder what that is?

redreader fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 3, 2017

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

redreader posted:

I'm playing this and I am in the grand reef. I'm not sure what the problem is but when I go to a certain depth (or maybe just to a certain place) at 187m the corners of the HUD show some kind of yellow mark and my dude makes weird noises, but my health doesn't seem to be going down. Is it due to some kind of bad guy, or is it just a depth indicator? I've got the rebreather on.

I think it's because you're near some vents that make the temperature hot enough to almost damage your guy?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Xibanya posted:

I think it's because you're near some vents that make the temperature hot enough to almost damage your guy?

This is definitely what it is.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I mentioned it a few times in the thread, but it's worth re-iterating. If you are having landscape bugs, glitches or invisible walls after the update you should start a new save. They seem to be ironing a lot of that out lately anyway. The problem that Plek mentioned of half his base being a skeleton is annoying but probably ok. (Alongside being pretty metal.) But some people might find certain blueprints may not spawn and vehicles can go missing. The older your save is in terms of updates, the more likely this is of happening.

All this is not counting any of the bugs that might occur due to the update anyway. But it's all worth keeping in mind.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Is there still a bunch of pop-in from the terrible distance lod thing

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
So how close is the current version of the game to "the full experience"?

I want to play it but if it's going to be way better in 6 months, I'll continue waiting.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Taima posted:

So how close is the current version of the game to "the full experience"?

I want to play it but if it's going to be way better in 6 months, I'll continue waiting.
The first 5-10 hours (assuming you don't park yourself on the wiki / look at a map) are pretty solid and done except for small lingering bugs. The end game doesn't exist yet. All the content and future roadmap for the game is to flesh out the later parts; by and large they seem happy with where the early-mid game is right now.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
If you're a big dumb baby like me you'll spend 30 hours building your base and never leave the shallows tho, except to get upgrades for cooler base modules :v:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Truga posted:

If you're a big dumb baby cool Cousteau Disciple like me us you'll spend 30 hours building your base and never leave the shallows tho, except to get upgrades for cooler base modules :v:

because hell yeah BASES

we should make bunk beds!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Truga posted:

If you're a big dumb baby like me you'll spend 30 hours building your base and never leave the shallows tho, except to get upgrades for cooler base modules :v:
I wish I could put glass on everything. Disappointed you can't put a hatch on the top/sides of a glass corridor.

The latest thing I've been doing is a 4 stack of multipurpose rooms, with the alien containments on the bottom. If you put glass windows on the sides of the bottom one and the middle, you can sort of see out and it feels really open. That makes your floor a habitat, I just wish I could make the roof be transparent as well :shobon:

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 3, 2017

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Awesome, thanks for the explanations!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
also, having actually broken out of my base-building funk, my new favorite thing about the game is the wet thunk-slap that fish make when you run into them in the seamoth. poor fishies :(

e: in that it's pretty slapsticky and funny, not that I'm a sociopath.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 3, 2017

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Found a fun little bug that was introduced with Infection, if you get 40+ meters away from a Waterproof Storage everything in it disappears. I think I'm done playing for a bit.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I'm enjoying the basebuilding but so far I haven't seen a compelling reason to build a base very deep underwater, yet clearly this was intended as a mechanic. Actually it looks like an optimal strategy is to put tubes with hatches all over the place. I love basebuilding but I hope they put more meat to it.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Coffeehitler posted:

Found a fun little bug that was introduced with Infection, if you get 40+ meters away from a Waterproof Storage everything in it disappears. I think I'm done playing for a bit.

If I remember right this was like one of the original bugs with waterproof storage as well, way way back in the beginning - inventory just disappearing.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
After reading about stalker teeth, I was prepared to cheat in order to get some. But one piece of scrap, 3 stalkers, 5 teeth in under a minute. It's really not that hard! Finding quartz was a pain in the rear end though, until:

I did manage to build the C...uhhhh, the large submarine last night. It's super unwieldy. So, do I not have to worry about reapers and stuff? It's damage-proof? And it won't remain damage-proof in the endgame? The grand reef has tons of quartz :)

Now that I've got the large submarine I suppose I need to find the moonpool fragments, but I haven't found a single one which is a pain in the rear end.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

meatsaw posted:

If I remember right this was like one of the original bugs with waterproof storage as well, way way back in the beginning - inventory just disappearing.

Ah, I got this from the Humble Freedom Bundle and I don't think it hit my first game.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
The titanium floaty crates you can make? or the duffle bags from the wreck?

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
The floaty crates that you make. I started up a new game last night and got hit by this fun little bug too. The wall lockers in my base seem to be fine, though.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

redreader posted:

After reading about stalker teeth, I was prepared to cheat in order to get some. But one piece of scrap, 3 stalkers, 5 teeth in under a minute. It's really not that hard! Finding quartz was a pain in the rear end though, until:

I did manage to build the C...uhhhh, the large submarine last night. It's super unwieldy. So, do I not have to worry about reapers and stuff? It's damage-proof? And it won't remain damage-proof in the endgame? The grand reef has tons of quartz :)

Now that I've got the large submarine I suppose I need to find the moonpool fragments, but I haven't found a single one which is a pain in the rear end.

Large submarine is damage-proof for now, likely won't remain damage-proof, hopefully doing it the way they thought about - it's damage proof above a certain depth threshold.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Coffeehitler posted:

Ah, I got this from the Humble Freedom Bundle and I don't think it hit my first game.

No, I think you're right. It sounds like an old bug returned. The locker used to just be a cube, and occasionally everything in it would just disappear. I remember running into it when I first bought the game. Sometimes the cubes themselves would disappear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

meatsaw posted:

No, I think you're right. It sounds like an old bug returned. The locker used to just be a cube, and occasionally everything in it would just disappear. I remember running into it when I first bought the game. Sometimes the cubes themselves would disappear.

There's a reason I never build floating lockers, and instead just rush for the 1 silver it takes to build the Habitat Builder, then build a Foundation, a Corridor with a Hatch and a bunch of Lockers inside right below the Escape Pod.

EDIT: Silver is far more common in the red grass areas as well as the areas with the tall vines. Also the tall vines' seeds are what give you rubber for fins and knife, so they're useful to locate immediately anyway.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 4, 2017