Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Pick posted:

independent

quote:

Another time, I offered to mow her front and back yard, but she told me not to worry about it or make a special trip for it. So I decided one Saturday to show up and surprise her and mow her lawn, but she was already outside mowing it. I offered to help and so she let me weedwack and use the blower to clear the sidewalk and that was it.

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Pick posted:

independent

Haha it's like little babby's first realization that women can also be fully formed human beings, hope greaser McGee doesn't gently caress it up.

Mamma mia!

I [23/F] have been on vactaion with my Mom [45/F] and she's spent the night with an Italian man altho she's married to my dad [45/m]

quote:

u/zxasqw123edc1y
My Dad gave my mom and i a 2 week vacation in Italy, he could not come being busy with work, hes an electrical contractor.

We visited Rome and Venice, we were in Florence for 4 days. This is where the Italian gentleman comes in. When looking at a map he asks if we need help and shows us the way to go. He's going that way anyway. He's a tubby man with a fedora, old leather safari jacket and old school cravat. He looks ridiculious but seems pleased with himself. I have a photo and could crop out his face it that within the rules.

He shows us around and offers us lunch. He's charming in a odd way. He offers to take us in his car to look at his village the next day. Mom loveds this idea, he sells it as the real Italy. Nest day we go and he pays her alot of attention. Steering her by holding her back and opening doors and hes clearly touching her when he can. He flicks lint of her dress collar and things like that. We have a good time though and see a bit of Tuscany.

the day ends and he buys Mom flowers. This is the line he pulls. "Some like flowers with the dew still on them, I like flowers in full bloom" I almost laugh but Mom laps it up.

That night she gets a call, she's left an earring in a resturant and goes to get it. I offer to go with her but she demurs. Mom does not come back that night! I ring but she says shes OK and will be back later.

That morning shes too tired to go out. I go out and come back and she's out. Won't answer calls, only texts she out and not to worry. I suspect I know where she is.

When we go home she does not mention the Italian gent to Dad. She gushes how great is was tho' and how she wants to go back. To me she's denied anything happened other than he took her to a tango club.

TL:DR. Mom had a fling. Dad dosnt deserve this.
So: My options?

say nothing?
tell all?
warn her?

The story is good, but these comments took it to great. Who knew redditors were capable of introspection?

quote:

KaraBarra • 1y

quote:

He's a tubby man with a fedora, old leather safari jacket and old school cravat.
Holy poo poo! Your mom cheated on your dad with a redditor!

quote:

commandantemeowmix • 1y

M'donna

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I really do not understand some people. How do you even get to the point where your GF doing stuff independently is somehow a bad thing?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pick posted:

independent
Wow so this guy is sad/mad that his girlfriend is perfect?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Andrast posted:

I really do not understand some people. How do you even get to the point where your GF doing stuff independently is somehow a bad thing?

what if your gf is punching dogs for money though?

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Yawgmoth posted:

Wow so this guy is sad/mad that his girlfriend is perfect?
Because he knows she could replace him with a vibrator and not miss a beat.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

LOL, she even pays for him.

"Guys, I just found this thing called a 'Holy Grail?' I have no idea what I should do with it, could someone please help because I'm just at a loss."

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Independent Woman is awesome. Story from his perspective is funny. Generic milquetoast comment complete. Submit Reply.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Andrast posted:

i refer you to the age gap posts of late-20s early-30s men loving high schoolers

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Andrast posted:

but she doesn't neeeeed me

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pick posted:

It's this, he's desperately insecure because she didn't fall for the N in his DENNIS system.

Nurture Dependency.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Pick posted:

to be fair, he is raised in a culture that still does very often train men that they must be providers and that they need to be able to do these kinds of things for women. dude does not seem to be critiquing her for it, he is working through the challenge she presents to the expectations our society still puts on men. she challenges his notions of masculinity and he needs to figure that out. Since she is so independent and seemingly has a good head on her shoulders, i'd trust her that this is a good dude who just needs to figure some ingrained stuff out.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Someone find the converse post to Independent Girlfriend Man: "My boyfriend keeps trying to help, but he fucks up literally everything he touches - should I tell him it's better if I just do everything myself?"

Bonus if one of the anecdotes is a hospital trip for a sprained penis when he "tried something new."

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
You know it's a good dude because he made the post at all. One alternative is he's thanking his lucky stars for finding a gravy train automatic lawnmower robotron

she sounds pretty incredible

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

WoodrowSkillson posted:

to be fair, he is raised in a culture that still does very often train men that they must be providers and that they need to be able to do these kinds of things for women. dude does not seem to be critiquing her for it, he is working through the challenge she presents to the expectations our society still puts on men. she challenges his notions of masculinity and he needs to figure that out. Since she is so independent and seemingly has a good head on her shoulders, i'd trust her that this is a good dude who just needs to figure some ingrained stuff out.

gently caress I mean so was I but if my wife was pulling down 3x my income I would let her pay. It doesn't even seem like she is rejecting traditional dating, just paying for it since she has more money.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
edit: follow-on comment to myself: like my best bro whose girlfriend bought him a new M5 competition edition before going on vacation in Dubai.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

tbh after a while in the city it can get a little surprising running into someone who's just sort of competent at things that aren't their day job, but it's a good-surprising; that guy's got some issues he needs to work through

like, an easy majority of 28-year-olds out here eat ramen and takeout every meal because the mysteries of frying an egg elude them

Cthulu Carl posted:

Someone find the converse post to Independent Girlfriend Man: "My boyfriend keeps trying to help, but he fucks up literally everything he touches - should I tell him it's better if I just do everything myself?"

Bonus if one of the anecdotes is a hospital trip for a sprained penis when he "tried something new."
would you like that with a side of :murder:

My (25F) boyfriend (32M) is constantly forcing me to accept his "help" and then expecting gratitude. But I feel angry, not grateful.

quote:

I am having a constant helpful vs controlling problem with my boyfriend of 5 years. He will do things that seem REALLY NICE, but he does them knowing he is doing something I am explicitly opposed to. Then when I ask him to stop, please listen to me, please stop, he gets mad and says I'm ungrateful.

I guess examples are helpful.

-I'll be getting on my bicycle to go somewhere, and he will offer me a ride. I will decline for whatever reason (I don't want to rely on a ride, I don't want to be stranded without my bike, I want the exercise, it is a lovely day and I want to ride, etc). And then we argue until I either give in or physically ride away from him to end the conversation. CONSTANTLY.

-My brother came to visit after his birthday. My gift to him was a fun night out. I made it extremely clear that I was paying for the evening, because it was my gift to him to plan and finance a fun night. Then my boyfriend physically prevented me from paying, and made a big show of picking up the tab and repeatedly taking my bank card away from the bill and forcing it back in my hand. And then immediately did it again at breakfast the next day. Mad I didn't thank him, because I was busy trying to get him to STOP and NOT DO THAT.

-He asked if I wanted a kitchen stand mixer. I said no, because I like the handheld one I have and I don't have room for a stand mixer in my studio apartment. He bought a really expensive one anyway, and it takes up half of my counter space. Still unused.

-He asked if I would like to go to (vacation destination) for my birthday, and I said no, I would really rather have a low key day at home with my friends and I didn't want to have any vacation related expenses right now. He booked an extravagant vacation anyway, so I have to get time off work, appropriate clothes, pet sitter...

All of these things have the common theme of being really nice, but really unwanted and really loving annoying. It's become such a pattern. I'm sure you can see how it sounds lovely to complain about "My boyfriend picked up the tab at the bar, it made me really mad." But I feel like it is controlling, and I feel like he just NEVER listens to what I want. We have had this conversation over and over and over, and it always comes back to "I was just trying to be helpful."

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
I've found the other's side perspective on all the other "crazy loving inlaws ruining my wedding!!!" posts:

Me [19 F] with my future sister in law [26 F] (duration between her and brother: 3 years) and my mother [50sf], my mom is probably wearing a white bridal gown to the wedding and I need advice.

quote:

u/bridesmaidwow1y
Unfortunately I tried to submit this earlier and multiple questions about resubmitting went unanswered. So I hope this gets through! It'll be more succinct than part 1 anyway.

Basically, the necessary background for me and my future sister in law, who we will call Jane, is that she and her youngest sister (also a Bridesmaid) are not on great terms and I get along great with the youngest sister. During a fitting, I was rude to the bride, after several mimosas (I am a lightweight) and being egged on by younger sister, and I also did not know the bride heard my comment until later. I learned my lesson, stopped hanging out with younger sister, and have apologized profusely to the bride.

On top of that, my mother is basically awful. I gave more examples in the previous post, but basically she is a narcissitic as far as I can tell. She is obsessed with my older brother The two things I'll mention are that when he went to college, which she thought he'd never actually do even up to the day he left, she locked herself in her room to cry and 11 year old me had to cook and clean for 3 days. After I ate through all the canned soup in the house, she screamed at me for eating through our emergency rations. I felt so guilty at the time and am very angry in retrospect. Another thing is that when my brother proposed to his future wife, she insisted that she get an "engagement ring" too, commemorating her son getting engaged. She said this was normal for widows, and that my brother needed to spend more money on that ring since it didn't need to be something she'd wear daily. My brother complied, she now has said ring, and I can tell my future sister in law hates all of this, I wish I didn't gently caress up so I could talk to her about it.

On to the main point. So I was visiting home and looking for a pair of socks and my mom said she had a pair of new socks in her closet. She meant the one in the hallway, I misunderstood and went into the closet in her main room.

I was very surprised to see a floor length, lacey, ivory dress in the closet. My immediate reaction was "Why would [sister-in-law] keep her dress here, their wedding is 70 miles away?" and then I realized what was going on. Knowing my mom, I shut the door, found the socks, and pretended everything was fine. The minute she went to work, I pulled out the dress.

It's a size 2. My mom is a size 2, and my brother's fiancee is a size 10 at least. It's lacey with weird sleeves (it's a gorgeous dress, I just don't know the terms), and my future sister in law was looking for a simple tea-length gown. It's DEFINITELY not hers. I ended up finding it based on the tags on BHLND, an anthropologie wedding shop. My mom ADORES Anthropologie and will spend way too much money on there. DEFINITELY her dress, just re-iterating.

My dad died from drug use when I was young and my mom hasn't dated since. She is definitely not getting married.

She has also insisted on inserting herself in weird parts of the ceremony. Like she wants my brother to kiss her on his way to the altar and say "Now that I've kissed the first woman I ever kissed, I will kiss the last woman I'll ever kiss" when they say their vows, and wants a boquet to hold for the pictures. It's not a leap of logic for me to think this.

So what do I say to my future sister in law? I suspect she already thinks me dramatic, and I don't want that to be "my thing" to her. I also don't want to stress her out. And I'm worried that if I mention this, my mom will turn it on me and say she bought the dress for herself or for my eventual wedding and I'll come out looking like a dick. My brother is pretty useless, as the golden child, he's still shocked whenever my mom is a dick to his fiancee. Even this Christmas, she was very nice to me, and then out of nowhere my mom went on a rant about how she's a racist, which she based on my brother's future wife being white and us being half (!) Italian??!?

tl;dr: My mom is probably wearing a lacey white dress to my brother's wedding, my brother's bride doesn't like me and my brother defends my mom... what should I do???

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Boyfriend isnt helpful, he is controlling and he is doing it because he is aware you arent falling for his tactics.

All you need to do is tell him you have the perfect way for him to be helpful. Then have him move all your poo poo to a new apartment and dump him.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I [27 M] snooped in my my girlfriend's [25 F] diary and found she gave me bed-bugs

She wrote it and left the diary out to trick him into revealing his invasion of her privacy. Basically "dear diary, I hope my boyfriend respects my privacy! also I'm a psychotic bitch. bye!"

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Bubblyblubber posted:

I've found the other's side perspective on all the other "crazy loving inlaws ruining my wedding!!!" posts:

Me [19 F] with my future sister in law [26 F] (duration between her and brother: 3 years) and my mother [50sf], my mom is probably wearing a white bridal gown to the wedding and I need advice.

quote:

Like she wants my brother to kiss her on his way to the altar and say "Now that I've kissed the first woman I ever kissed, I will kiss the last woman I'll ever kiss" when they say their vows, and wants a boquet to hold for the pictures. It's not a leap of logic for me to think this

what in the hecking gently caress

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bubblyblubber posted:

Take pictures of the dress, name and shame her on Facebook to the bride and her brother and everyone, hopefully the madwoman locks herself in her drat room for three more days when the wedding rolls around.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bubblyblubber posted:

:gonk:

My [20F] boyfriend's [22M] parents [late 50s, M/F] not-so-subtly keep trying to set me up with his brother [25M]

quote:

My boyfriend is sort of the black sheep of his family. His parents really like me, from the night they've met me they've always said I'm such a great girl and all that. At first, I was overjoyed--it's always great to have your SO's parents like you! And for some time I was super happy.

I've always been an overachiever, so I'm super busy. I play tennis and soccer, I have an internship with a consulate, I do very well in school and love to study poetry and linguistics, so I also speak several languages. I'm someone who constantly needs something to do not to get bored. And my boyfriend's parents know all these things and always tell me how dedicated and hard-working I am. And again, at first it was great because I was glad my boyfriend's parents liked me!

My boyfriend, on the other hand, is not at all an underachiever, but also not an overachiever. We both go to a really good university, but he got in because of sports initially. He's never been a stellar student, but he does well. He's a great guy. The issue is that his brother is an overachiever: Harvard for grad school, brilliant, and super dedicated to everything. And both from what my boyfriend has told me and from what I've noticed, he's clearly the golden child.

So for the first few months I've known them, things went well. The first red flag came during a dinner when his mom said something about how I'm almost "too good" for my boyfriend. That was a weird comment, but I didn't think much of it. Then, the comparisons to his older brother started. Every chance they got, they made some comparison between him and me about how we were both doing this or that. Then one day, his parents told us about how his brother was going to be in our city for the weekend and had an extra ticket to one of my favorite bands, and that I should go with him, my boyfriend's brother! Just the two of us. I politely declined and made up an excuse, but I told my boyfriend about it. He said it was weird but if I wanted to go I should've gone, but I wasn't going to do that.

Then while he was in town, my boyfriend's brother texted me to meet up for lunch or something while he knew my boyfriend was in class. This was more innocent so I agreed, because he's my boyfriend's family, and the whole lunch he was badmouthing his brother.

That was about a year ago.

Also, I'm Latina, so my boyfriend decided to take up Spanish, which I really appreciate. Then his brother took up Spanish as well, conveniently at the same time my boyfriend did, and his parents kept contacting me to meet up with my boyfriend's brother to help him practice (even though he lives several hours away). But again, this can all be taken kind of innocently as well, so I've been reluctant to put too much thought into it.

Last weekend, however, his family came into the city to visit and kept talking about how my boyfriend's brother and I look so cute together. When my boyfriend was in the bathroom, they asked me if it was ever annoying to have a boyfriend who wasn't quite as smart as me. I was livid, but I brushed it off as a casual question and tried to pretend to stay calm. At the end of the night, his mother asked me to take a picture with the brother and posted it on Facebook, as well as a few other pictures of the group, but not one picture of me and my boyfriend together. And the caption of the picture of me and his brother was "an absolutely adorable couple, love you [my name]!" His mother wrote that.

Since then, I decided it was time to bring it up to my boyfriend. He said he'd noticed it but it's best to ignore it because his parents and brother are always trying to take stuff away from him. He told me not to worry about it, he can handle it and he doesn't want to start conflict, but it's bothering me too much at this point. I love my boyfriend, but I don't want to cause any tension in the family. It's just so uncomfortable and sad, especially since he's such a great guy who I truly love, and it pains me to see his family treat him like some placeholder and me like some trophy for their other son. I'm just so pissed and confused, I don't know how to confront this with his parents. My boyfriend doesn't want to start anything, and neither do I, but I feel like I have to talk to his parents and brother about this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bubblyblubber posted:

Oedipus, party of two your table is ready.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Barudak posted:

Oedipus, party of two your table is ready.

more like Narcissus and her partner Enabler-us

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I know it's like a weird meme that overbearing country dads want to gently caress their daughters but that is deffo a mom who wants to gently caress her son

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Fullhouse posted:

I know it's like a weird meme that overbearing country dads want to gently caress their daughters but that is deffo a mom who has hosed her son

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Fullhouse posted:

I know it's like a weird meme that overbearing country dads want to gently caress their daughters but that is deffo a mom who wants to gently caress her son

narcissists literally have to win in every category

-mom has a dress so she isn't outdone by bride
-mom gets a kiss before bride
-mom gets a biggerer and betterer ring than bride

you're probably not wrong but it would only be to one-up his wife

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Fullhouse posted:

what in the hecking gently caress

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

she locked herself in her room to cry and 11 year old me had to cook and clean for 3 days. After I ate through all the canned soup in the house, she screamed at me for eating through our emergency rations.

So assuming she ate soup three meals a day for 3 days the emergency rations for a household of 3 was 9 cans of soup?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

u gotta fight

for your right

My [f/23] bf [m/25] pissy about steak and bj day not happening.

quote:

Bf and I have been together for 8 months. Our relationship is pretty good overall, we have our fall outs like everyone else. Today he's been ridiculous though. As I found out a couple of hours ago, today is a "steak and bj" day, which to me sounds kind of ridiculous, since I give him bjs most days anyways and cook meat/steaks at least couple times a week. I've never heard of this "holiday" prior to today.

My bf came to my apartment (we do not live together) from his friend's house, and asked me if I had anything "special" for him. I was confused and asked what he was talking about. He then proceeds to tell me that today's "all men's holiday", and when I ask him what it is , he says angrily "don't pretend you've never heard of steak and a blow job day". I say I haven't and then he goes off the rails and starts screaming at me, saying how I am super selfish and he is "entitled" to his male holiday, since February 14th is all about women. Now, one thing that needs to be said, is that he told me that he does not believe in Valentine's Day when we started dating. I think that it is kind of a cute holiday, but it's never been a big deal for me, so I did not care that we did not celebrate.

In this light, it is extremely strange to me that he presents "steak and bj day" as soothing I "owe" him for Valentine's day, when we did not celebrate Valentine's day at all. I was done with him screaming at me, so I opened the door and told him to get out, which he did. From the texts he is sending me, it seems like he has calmed down after texting me that "i'm the worst girlfriend who kicks her men out of the house instead of satisfying his needs". They still sound somewhat passive aggressive though. Last one of them states that he "would like to have a serious discussion about our relationship, because it does not seem like we are on the same page". I am angry at him, but I want to talk it out and see what he has to say. How do I proceed?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

steak and a bj day is march 14 though? today is "gently caress, the nintendo switch is coming out" day

e: VVVV i know, right? some loving people, ugh

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
What an entitled piece of poo poo thinking he gets to declare steak and bj day early

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

steaks and mutual oral is a much better and more fun holiday anyway

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

u gotta fight

for your right

My [f/23] bf [m/25] pissy about steak and bj day not happening.

Lol what a shithead.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

ThePeavstenator posted:

narcissists literally have to win in every category

-mom has a dress so she isn't outdone by bride
-mom gets a kiss before bride
-mom gets a biggerer and betterer ring than bride

you're probably not wrong but it would only be to one-up his wife

crazy mom is gonna claim prima nocta rights on her son

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Fullhouse posted:

crazy mom is gonna claim prima nocta rights on her son

"Now that he's been in the first vagina he's ever been in, he'll go be in the last vagina he'll ever be in!"

:barf:

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

My (25F) boyfriend (32M) is constantly forcing me to accept his "help" and then expecting gratitude. But I feel angry, not grateful.

Uggggh that sort of dude is the worst

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Elsa posted:

What an entitled piece of poo poo thinking he gets to declare steak and bj day early

you never know when these stories were posted, some are years old

also where's dark chocolate and muff diving day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

boner confessor posted:

also where's dark chocolate and muff diving day

February 14th.