Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

CelticPredator posted:

Woah. This showing of Get Out is filling up! Rad!

I saw a family show up with two young kids. What's up with that?

Alrighty phone off now.

I was at a nearly sold out showing of Get Out last night, and had to sit in the front row. It's unreal how popular this movie is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

the graduate sucks

I don't think it sucks, Nichols' comic timing is really pretty good, but it's a weirdly ugly movie compared to some of its contemporaries and I've never understood Surtees' Oscar nomination for it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

CPL593H posted:

Have you seen Cutting Moments?

:gibs:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

It's hilarious how terrible the DVD covers are for it.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Guess the movie!

quote:

Warner Brothers eventually purchased and distributed the completed film for a sum just under a million dollars.[5] Warners initially previewed the film on a double bill with the Mel Brooks comedy Blazing Saddles, resulting in very negative audience response, and forcing the production team to book the film into several other theaters in locations such as Little Rock, Arkansas to demonstrate that the film could make money.[7]

Badlands :pwn:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It's pretty fitting how many times I drifted off to sleep while reading The Castle.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I think a lot of people migrated to Letterboxd.

gently caress reranking over 1900 movies.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

CPL593H posted:

Have you seen Cutting Moments?

No, but it sounds awesome.

Timby posted:

I don't think it sucks, Nichols' comic timing is really pretty good, but it's a weirdly ugly movie compared to some of its contemporaries and I've never understood Surtees' Oscar nomination for it.

Yeah idk. I don't hate it but I find it to be really stodgy, everything feels so cute and neat so you get all the Messages and Irony right away but everything's squished down as a result.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've been preaching the greatness of Cutting Moments for like a decade. It's so unexpectedly sick.

Power of Pecota posted:

gently caress reranking over 1900 movies.

It is daunting (I had about 2400 to migrate over), but it's worth it. I've been a huge Criticker fan since 2007, but I call it like I see it and Letterboxd bests Criticker on just about every single level.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Spatulater bro! posted:

I've been preaching the greatness of Cutting Moments for like a decade. It's so unexpectedly sick.

It is daunting (I had about 2400 to migrate over), but it's worth it. I've been a huge Criticker fan since 2007, but I call it like I see it and Letterboxd bests Criticker on just about every single level.

I like how primitive Criticker is.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Spatulater bro! posted:

Son of a bitch I can't believe I'm about to do this

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
geez why don't u guys just go ahead and load ur consciousness up to the cloud while ur at it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Get Out was pretty loving good. My audience wasn't as fun as I hoped. The end was a little disappointing only due to the fact that there wasn't more family members to punish. :black101:

But it owned. The cast killed it. I thought it was pretty well shot for a first time director. :shrug:

Also where was the deer skeleton? I went to the bathroom real quick after he woke up post first therapy session, was it there?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

CelticPredator posted:

Get Out was pretty loving good. My audience wasn't as fun as I hoped. The end was a little disappointing only due to the fact that there wasn't more family members to punish. :black101:

But it owned. The cast killed it. I thought it was pretty well shot for a first time director. :shrug:

Also where was the deer skeleton? I went to the bathroom real quick after he woke up post first therapy session, was it there?

Nope, it's unfortunately not in the movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ah dang. That was my favorite image from the trailer.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm watching Cinerama Russian Adventure. It has somewhat obnoxious "folksy" narration by Bing Crosby and doesn't even have any air of anti-Communist stuff. Just a lot of travelogue stuff with reindeer, snow, and stuff.

Out of nowhere, there's a scene with sailors hunting a whale, killing it, then gutting the carcass in close-up.

:stare:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I'd probably do Purple Rain and Sorcerer. I somehow still haven't seen Purple Rain

On the topic of theater chat, what are some of the best movie theaters in the country? I'm always moving and it legitimately factors into where I go...

Cinefamily in Los Angeles is far and away the best I've ever been to. The number of special events / speakers they have there is insane, despite it being such a small space. I was going nearly once a week when I lived in LA, but probably the best was an all night (free!) screening of Goosebumps episodes... Also I talked to an ex cult member after a screening of Holy Hell. One of the weirdest conversations of my life. I'm actually considering moving back to LA because I miss it so much (LA sucks)

Belcourt in Nashville is pretty good, Roxie in SF has a great selection but its a dump

Music Box in Chicago is the best that I've ever been to. They do their 70mm festival every year, they show great movies all the time, and they do cool special event stuff as well. Plus they show as many movies as they can in 35mm.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I'd probably do Purple Rain and Sorcerer. I somehow still haven't seen Purple Rain

On the topic of theater chat, what are some of the best movie theaters in the country? I'm always moving and it legitimately factors into where I go...

Cinefamily in Los Angeles is far and away the best I've ever been to. The number of special events / speakers they have there is insane, despite it being such a small space. I was going nearly once a week when I lived in LA, but probably the best was an all night (free!) screening of Goosebumps episodes... Also I talked to an ex cult member after a screening of Holy Hell. One of the weirdest conversations of my life. I'm actually considering moving back to LA because I miss it so much (LA sucks)

Belcourt in Nashville is pretty good, Roxie in SF has a great selection but its a dump

The Paramount in Austin has a killer classic film series every summer including multiple 70mm screenings

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Introducing: sensory overload tanks.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692639&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

quote:

Lately I've been stuck in a rut in life. Nothing seems interesting to me anymore and I've given serious thought to ending my sad lovely gay existence. But that's too pathetic and gay for me and not cool enough.

So instead I'm ordering a fuckload of DOC (a psychedelic that lasts for over 18 hours), locking myself in a 4 foot by 4 foot wooden cube, and having my friend play Death Grips' discography on shuffle at jet engine volume on my sound system to drown out my screaming.

Any advice, goons? How do I mentally prepare myself for this?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It is funny how I knew who that was without clicking through.

Also 2 years already!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wish there were some sketchy internet streaming channel dedicated to showing old VHS recordings of monster movie nights from regional stations, commercials and all. It'd be a real fun nostalgia trip til it got boring.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Baron von Eevl posted:

It is funny how I knew who that was without clicking through.

Also 2 years already!

"The lock does nothing without a key" will always be my favorite GenChat saga.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I mean that's kind of the same saga.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:rip: SALT CURES HAM. God bless you for somehow getting locked inside a crack house.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
He's in a better place now, on a farm smoking Js with all the dudes named Mario.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I mean that's kind of the same saga.

I know, it's just such an amazingly bizarre ouroboros of ... something. The only other thing that even comes close, off the top of my head, was Geekboy using this thread as a batshit insane LiveJournal.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Timby posted:

"The lock does nothing without a key" will always be my favorite GenChat saga.

If I ever decide my life needs more excitement I'll have to track down some of whatever drug it is that turns your life into a Sierra Adventure Game.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Schwarzwald posted:

If I ever decide my life needs more excitement I'll have to track down some of whatever drug it is that turns your life into a Sierra Adventure Game.

If SALT CURES HAM's posts were in any way truthful, sounds like it was ditch weed.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can someone link to that? Sounds amazing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hamfather pt 1 is getting cucked on his birthday up through "some dude named Mario."

Hamfather pt 2 is his probation for "got my hog fluffed" up until the final breakdown.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Hamfather pt 2 is his probation for "got my hog fluffed"

Jesus Christ, I totally forgot about that. :laffo:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

As long as I'm asking stupid questions in this thread, if I did a podcast devoted to watching every Michael Shannon movie, could I rope some of y'all in as guests?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Someone in the games thread thought he was Dickeye

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I'm watching that Time After Time show on ABC right now. It sucks a big old dick. But it has given me a great idea: to make a time travel movie with the same premise except the main guys are stinky 5'6" waifs who instantly get rushed to the hospital for getting like 8 diseases at once.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
There already is a time travel movie with that same premise :)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Someone in the games thread thought he was Dickeye

Someone once thought I was DT, which is really mean.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

FishBulb posted:

There already is a time travel movie with that same premise :)

I said it was a great idea, not an original one. What movie?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Budgie Jumping posted:

I said it was a great idea, not an original one. What movie?

It's called Time After Time actually

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

FishBulb posted:

It's called Time After Time actually

Oh yeah duh. I thought you meant there was a time travel movie where the dudes from the past had accurate heights/builds/autoimmune responses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The dude from the 19th century has the body of a old man in his early 30s because he has been working 14 hours a day 6 days a week since he was 4. Is constantly drunk because unlike all the drinking water alcohol doesn't have poop in it. Has a bunch of parasites.

The medieval guy doesn't understand a word anyone else is saying because he only speaks Middle English. A really chill dude who does everything really slowly because as a pre-industrial peasant time is barely a concept to him. Has a bunch of parasites.

The early modern guy dresses like a hobo clown. Religious zealot who will kill anyone with a slightly different interpretation of even the most minute detail of the bible. Might murder you anyway if he wants to loot your boots or teeth. Smokes like a chimney. Has a bunch of parasites.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 6, 2017

• Locked thread