Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GramCracker posted:

Just announced that Honda terminated it's contract with their engine consultant Gilles Simon.

gently caress.

Considering what a loving garbage fire Honda's F1 engines are I am not sure if this is good or bad news?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Maybe he's left to concentrate on tennis full time

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Theophany posted:

"Well done Liberty"

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

Considering what a loving garbage fire Honda's F1 engines are I am not sure if this is good or bad news?

Apparently they were ignoring most his ideas, so likely bad.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Gilles Simon was a big advocate of having oil in your engine iirc

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Clearly not a priority for THIS MCLRN+ Honda team!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

I'm no expert F1 Technician, but I did read somewhere that oil was a good thing to have in motors.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'm not sure it was having oil in the engine per se that McLa-Ron objected to but the use of seals to retain said oil in the engine

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Maybe Honda is secretly developing an oil free combustion engine.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Sure we get oil from whales but I don't see what that has to do with seals. Now if you'll excuse me, I am late for the bi-daily livery development taskforce workshop seminar

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Sure we get oil from whales but I don't see what that has to do with seals. Now if you'll excuse me, I am late for the bi-daily livery development taskforce workshop seminar

username post combi

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Give Illien a ring.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm not sure it was having oil in the engine per se that McLa-Ron objected to but the use of seals to retain said oil in the engine

I don't think it was seals, based on the fact they could run at lower RPMs the oil was probably frothing too much in the tank or the pickup was in a poor location. Either way it probably was picking up enough oil at low RPMs but then as soon as the oil pump got driven a bit faster it'd drink it all up faster than it could spit it back out.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if McLaren will elect to stay with Honda post-2017. I'm hearing they are growing impatient with them but I'm not sure if a switch will win them races.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I can't see them leaving unless it's for another works engine deal, there's at least the possibility that they aren't completely hosed the entire year with the token system gone. The Honda would have to be a real dog throughout the year for them to consider otherwise.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Wirth1000 posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone miss Bernie?

I think you are forgetting where you are...

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-bull-suspicion-prompts-fia-clarification-on-oil-burn-880005/

I swore Renault was trying to do this last year, I think it was Kmag's car that had that big fire and it was pretty clear something was happening around the air intake. Guess they couldn't get it to work so now it has to be banned.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You would have thought Honda would have been quite good at the two stroke thing.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

1500quidporsche posted:

I can't see them leaving unless it's for another works engine deal, there's at least the possibility that they aren't completely hosed the entire year with the token system gone. The Honda would have to be a real dog throughout the year for them to consider otherwise.
How many other engine makers on Earth could even potentially make a competitive F1 engine AND pay the bill for the entire MCLRN team and the salary of the most expensive driver in the world?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

How many other engine makers on Earth could even potentially make a competitive F1 engine AND pay the bill for the entire MCLRN team and the salary of the most expensive driver in the world?

Teams that are in WEC. Oh wait, none of them are leaving for the poo poo show that is F1 currently.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'm just going to quote myself...

Pablo Bluth posted:

That might actually improve things. Instead Honda are insisting that it' a Honda Made-In-Japan engine and so only Honda engineers from Japan may have input in to the Made-in-Japan Honda engine and under no circumstance must the Made-in-Japan Honda engine be sullied by using gaijin knowledge that would stop it being a pure Made-in-Japan Honda engine.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I still maintain the Honda engine is ultimately going to be fine and McLaren will undone by a high concept chassis that they can't get to work.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Der Kyhe posted:

They should just make the Honda F1 engine a separate brand called Honnyet.
xaxaxaxa

Human Grand Prix posted:

I wonder if McLaren will elect to stay with Honda post-2017. I'm hearing they are growing impatient with them but I'm not sure if a switch will win them races.
Ferrari are only supplying two teams with their current engines - themselves and Haas. There's room for Mclaren in there.

MCLRN+FRRRI

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

ukle posted:

Pirelli is saying what was already guessed - these are the fastest F1 cars ever, and by some margin. Every lap record is going to be smashed this year.

http://racing.pirelli.com/global/en-ww/the-fastest-ever-formula-1-cars

Oh my, I can't wait to see the moaning when every circuit is #blessed with the honour of a Lewis Hamilton lap record.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Der Kyhe posted:

They should just make the Honda F1 engine a separate brand called Honnyet.

Took me a while.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Baron Corbyn posted:

every circuit is #blessed with the honour of a Lewis Hamilton lap record.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

What I would give to go back in time and never post the McLaren+ page so I didn't have to expose my precious eyeballs to a loving parade of lovely, idiotic, never once funny "OMFG MCLRN+" jokes...

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Corbyn posted:

Oh my, I can't wait to see the moaning when every circuit is #blessed with the honour of a Lewis Hamilton lap record.

Catalunya. Kimi is officially fastest. Kimi is also unofficially fastest with a 1.19 in the testing.

The day Lewis loving Hamilton has the lap record on every F1 circuit is the day I stop watching.

Who am I kidding, I'll never stop watching. But I will write a lot of angry words on the Internet.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

What I would give to go back in time and never post the McLaren+ page so I didn't have to expose my precious eyeballs to a loving parade of lovely, idiotic, never once funny "OMFG MCLRN+" jokes...

Another person that never was funny and it hurts every time they try. Every single intro to Half in the Bag is a cringe-inducing sack of poo poo that any normal person looks at and asks 'what the gently caress are you watching?!'

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tony Montana posted:

Another person that never was funny and it hurts every time they try. Every single intro to Half in the Bag is a cringe-inducing sack of poo poo that any normal person looks at and asks 'what the gently caress are you watching?!'

I bet you're the kind of person that watches Starship Troopers and thinks its blatantly pro fascist.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I bet you're the kind of person that watches Starship Troopers and thinks its blatantly pro fascist.

What if he's watching the book???????

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
No, I'm the kind that got really lovely that the stupid movie was nothing like the excellent book.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Tony Montana posted:

No, I'm the kind that got really lovely that the stupid movie was nothing like the excellent book.

That movie is hilarious

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tony Montana posted:

:eyepoop:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think my argument has been made here. Back to how lovely Honda is and we need Ron back please.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Troopers the book = Brawn's Ferrari
Troopers the movie = Ferrari now

the branding is the same and it sure looks cool, but there is something, something BIG.. missing entirely

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Starship Troopers 2 = MCLRN+

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Showgirls 2=Zak Brown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless