Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

a patagonian cavy posted:

oh yeah in that case I understand the confusion. his deal last year with the Broncos had literally 0 guaranteed money, because he is an idiot

that idiot made 8 million dollars last year. guaranteed only matters in big, long term contracts, and okung has gone full mercenary at this point. i respect it. i wish more players did what he was doing. makes things fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kalli posted:

Torrey Smith has a cool skillset but the only other place he'd be more miscast then the Patriots would be the Chiefs.

Get him with a big-armed boy and let him go get some DPI's.

Should hitch his wagon to the Jay Cutler experience

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Volkerball posted:

that idiot made 8 million dollars last year. guaranteed only matters in big, long term contracts, and okung has gone full mercenary at this point. i respect it. i wish more players did what he was doing. makes things fun.

And had he torn an ACL in camp, he'd have made basically nothing over the same time frame. It worked out for him because he successfully gambled on staying healthy. More power to him that he got his money, but it seems dumb to not get a guarantee even if it lowers your payday a bit at the end of the day.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

And had he torn an ACL in camp, he'd have made basically nothing over the same time frame. It worked out for him because he successfully gambled on staying healthy. More power to him that he got his money, but it seems dumb to not get a guarantee even if it lowers your payday a bit at the end of the day.

No he wouldn't have. You can't just cut a player who got injured to avoid paying them. The team and the player have a deadline after the injury to come to terms on an injury settlement, or the player goes on IR, where he gets paid. Or if they come to an injury settlement, based around his weekly salary, he gets paid. He had millions wrapped up in different incentives, and a lot of them were really basic poo poo like "be on the roster." That's where the bulk of the money is in all contracts. Guaranteed money only means something when it comes to making sure you get paid if you get cut, or to protect yourself against being cut. And since he's out signing one year deals where he's filling an immediate need, he doesn't need to worry about that. It's a total non-story and I don't know why people keep giving him poo poo about it. Let the man do his thing.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 7, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Volkerball posted:

No he wouldn't have. You can't just cut a player who's injured to avoid paying them. The team and the player have a deadline after the injury to come to terms on an injury settlement, or the player goes on IR, where he gets paid. Or if they come to an injury settlement, he gets paid. He had millions wrapped up in different incentives, and a lot of them were really basic poo poo like "be on the roster." That's where the bulk of the money is in all contracts. Guaranteed money only means something when it comes to making sure you get paid if you get cut, and since he's out signing one year deals where he's filling an immediate need, he doesn't need to worry about that. It's a total non-story and I don't know why people keep giving him poo poo about it.

The contract he signed was (effectively)

$2m Base salary (guaranteed)
$2m Roster bonus if he's on an active roster for 1 game (Not earned in the training camp torn ACL scenario).
$1m Workout bonus (Earned for appearing in offseason workouts. Could've been lost if he tore his ACL early on).
$3m in incentives (he earned them, but again, wouldn't have been earned).

If he tore his ACL in training camp, he would've made ~$3m last year, which is effectively nothing for a LT with his track record. This was a godawful contract for him to sign unless he was ring chasing, and well, that sure didn't work out.

He's not the same caliber of player as Revis, but he clearly could've done so much better.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Volkerball posted:

No he wouldn't have. You can't just cut a player who got injured to avoid paying them. The team and the player have a deadline after the injury to come to terms on an injury settlement, or the player goes on IR, where he gets paid. Or if they come to an injury settlement, based around his weekly salary, he gets paid. He had millions wrapped up in different incentives, and a lot of them were really basic poo poo like "be on the roster." That's where the bulk of the money is in all contracts. Guaranteed money only means something when it comes to making sure you get paid if you get cut, or to protect yourself against being cut. And since he's out signing one year deals where he's filling an immediate need, he doesn't need to worry about that. It's a total non-story and I don't know why people keep giving him poo poo about it.

Huh. I didn't know that the system for keeping injured players compensated was this comprehensive and not based around contractual guarantees (or getting hosed, I guess).

I'm gonna be contrary and say he'd still be better served with an agent and a multiyear contract with guarantees :colbert:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kalli posted:

The contract he signed was (effectively)

$2m Base salary (guaranteed)
$2m Roster bonus if he's on an active roster for 1 game (Not earned in the training camp torn ACL scenario).
$1m Workout bonus (Earned for appearing in offseason workouts. Could've been lost if he tore his ACL early on).
$3m in incentives (he earned them, but again, wouldn't have been earned).

If he tore his ACL in training camp, he would've made ~$3m last year, which is effectively nothing for a LT with his track record. This was a godawful contract for him to sign unless he was ring chasing, and well, that sure didn't work out.

He's not the same caliber of player as Revis, but he clearly could've done so much better.

It would had to have been a dislocated hip or something, because an ACL tear in offseason workouts is not going to prevent you from touching the field all season long. And the Broncos would have been eager to get him out there once he was healthy. And yeah, he was definitely ring chasing. That's why all those poison pills were in there to make the Broncos exercising his option drat near equivalent to franchise tagging him. And I'll bet he still is.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I'm gonna be contrary and say he'd still be better served with an agent and a multiyear contract with guarantees :colbert:

No doubt, but his family is going to eat either way.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Huh. I didn't know that the system for keeping injured players compensated was this comprehensive and not based around contractual guarantees (or getting hosed, I guess).

The best rule is that players with 4 accrued seasons when cut can file for termination pay once in their career, which pays them for the entire base salary for that season.

So the Giants signed Randy Bullock because of Josh Brown being suspended, then cut him after that one game... so Randy B filed for termination pay and got paid $700k for that one game. He also filled in for injuries for the Bengals and Steelers, so fat Randy stacked some paper.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh hey, now's a good time to mention Offsets as well as a random thing, because Darrelle Revis has got 'em.

Offsets are where with guaranteed money, if you get cut, and then sign with another team, the original team can recuperate (some/all) of that money from your contract with a new team.

So, for example, Revis has $6m in offsets in his guaranteed money, meaning that a team would need to pay him more then $6m this year for him to bother showing up.

The Jets would really appreciate it if one of you teams with a billion dollars in cap space wanted to take a chance on an old war horse.

Otherwise, it'll be funny to see if Revis comes back in 2018.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Volkerball posted:

No he wouldn't have. You can't just cut a player who got injured to avoid paying them. The team and the player have a deadline after the injury to come to terms on an injury settlement, or the player goes on IR, where he gets paid. Or if they come to an injury settlement, based around his weekly salary, he gets paid. He had millions wrapped up in different incentives, and a lot of them were really basic poo poo like "be on the roster." That's where the bulk of the money is in all contracts. Guaranteed money only means something when it comes to making sure you get paid if you get cut, or to protect yourself against being cut. And since he's out signing one year deals where he's filling an immediate need, he doesn't need to worry about that. It's a total non-story and I don't know why people keep giving him poo poo about it. Let the man do his thing.

Lmfao

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
He just signs retarded contracts every year, it's a total non-story and frankly you all sound immature whenever you bring it up

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I can already see the Eagles future

We trade Daniels away (yay!), cut Barwin (yay!), and sign....Kenny Stills for too much. We might get Pryor but then he'll pumpkin us. Eagles Football.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
okung only made 8 million dollars how will he ever survive

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm surprised the Seahawks haven't been linked to Brandin Cooks. It's been a while since we randomly traded our first-rounder for a guy Pete had on his fantasy team, I feel like we're due.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Can he play tackle?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If the panthers want an fa tackle they should go after whitworth and hope they can find someone to develop.

Sure hes old as gently caress but hes a better option than okung, he gave up 0 sacks last year and probably has two campaigns left in him.

gently caress sign em both. Sign all the tackles.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalli posted:

Oh hey, now's a good time to mention Offsets as well as a random thing, because Darrelle Revis has got 'em.

Offsets are where with guaranteed money, if you get cut, and then sign with another team, the original team can recuperate (some/all) of that money from your contract with a new team.

So, for example, Revis has $6m in offsets in his guaranteed money, meaning that a team would need to pay him more then $6m this year for him to bother showing up.

The Jets would really appreciate it if one of you teams with a billion dollars in cap space wanted to take a chance on an old war horse.

Otherwise, it'll be funny to see if Revis comes back in 2018.

Can't Revis just sign a contract for, say, vet minimum this year and $6m guaranteed next year (or $3m, or whatever), or something along those lines where he's paid a reasonable amount given that he's dead but it evades the Jets getting any money back?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

evilweasel posted:

Can't Revis just sign a contract for, say, vet minimum this year and $6m guaranteed next year (or $3m, or whatever), or something along those lines where he's paid a reasonable amount given that he's dead but it evades the Jets getting any money back?

We will know for sure after this offseason, because if we know one thing about Revis, it's that the man makes sure he gets paid.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It makes me very sad that Torrey Smith won't be a Raven again because we have his tremendously lovely clone in Breshard Perriman. Torrey is a cool, good dude who can be a solid #2 pretty much anywhere that doesn't need a possession guy.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I don't think Revis' primary motivation is preventing the Jets from recouping money. He supposedly still wants to play and as per usual he'll try and get maximum dollar to do so.

Also Manish is saying the Jets want Tyrod. But I assume the Browns and whomever else do as well.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 7, 2017

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Legal tampering begins today at noon!!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/839094313355182080

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Hmmmm yes Glennon is a clear upgrade over Cutler

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

I don't think Revis' primary motivation is preventing the Jets from recouping money. He supposedly still wants to play and as per usual he'll try and get maximum dollar to do so.

Also Manish is saying the Jets want Tyrod. But I assume the Browns and whomever else do as well.

The Jets recoup money from him. Every dollar he's paid this year, up to $6m, they take. If he accepts a deal that pays him nothing this year in exchange for money next year, he collects that money. It's not a "screw the jets" thing, it's a getting paid the max thing - money he is "paid" this year is worthless.

Edit: Would they collect a signing bonus? Could he sign for vet min + signing bonus?

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 7, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
No one is paying Revis more than 6M this year.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I like how quiet Twitter is right now. Makes me think it's gonna get crazy in a couple of hours.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Ehud posted:

I like how quiet Twitter is right now. Makes me think it's gonna get crazy in a couple of hours.

Are people allowed to announce deals now, or is it all just quiet tapping up.

Also who should I follow on twitter for football that isn't insufferable?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

You'd think Whaley would have learned from last year's Chris Hogan debacle, but welp, see you Mike.

https://twitter.com/mlombardiNFL/status/839122799629238272

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

How much usually gets out during the tampering period? It's prohibited to announce a deal in place or to visit another team. Do tons of fake deals get reported that are only out there for leverage?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I think this is the first year of legal tampering, which I assume means that regular tampering is currently ongoing.

Deals will be leaked today.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Cavauro posted:

How much usually gets out during the tampering period? It's prohibited to announce a deal in place or to visit another team. Do tons of fake deals get reported that are only out there for leverage?

If I remember correctly, it seemed like most of the big moves were pretty well settled during the tampering period.

I don't really understand the purpose of the tampering period.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Hogan and Gillislee my god how many dolphins castoffs does Buffalo have

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Diva Cupcake posted:

I think this is the first year of legal tampering, which I assume means that regular tampering is currently ongoing.

Deals will be leaked today.

I think 2013 for the first year for this.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Amy Pole Her posted:

Hogan and Gillislee my god how many dolphins castoffs does Buffalo plan on passing to the Patriots

:v:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think we'll get a lot of "expect _____ to sign with _____ for BIG MONEY PRIZES" tweets over the next few days.

Hopefully Hightower finds out his market then gets re-signed by the Patriots.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

tarbrush posted:

Also who should I follow on twitter for football that isn't insufferable?

There's a good list in the OP. Except Jason LaCanfora. gently caress that guy. He's beyond insufferable and almost always wrong.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

fishing with the fam posted:

I think 2013 for the first year for this.
Yeah you're right. I remember Suh to Dolphins was already settled and reported before the actual FA period began.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/839136358757187584

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

wandler20 posted:

There's a good list in the OP. Except Jason LaCanfora. gently caress that guy. He's beyond insufferable and almost always wrong.

Oh, duh. Thanks!

• Locked thread