Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CommaToes posted:

Or was the whole Genetically Altered thing a crappily thought out afterthought?

It came out of nowhere when Siddig first got the script with the reveal, and he was pissed because he'd spent years developing this character and then suddenly he's given "lol he's just a space autist."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

WampaLord posted:

Yea holy gently caress she acts super inappropriately with him. I get that the Federation is progressive and all, but they're not up to pedo acceptance levels.

Maybe Aatrek wrote the story, wish fulfilment?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I always thought Keiko just wanted some hugs and comfort and miles got all super uncomfortable about it. She didn't want to gently caress, just have some human contact and support from her potato.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

I always thought Keiko just wanted some hugs and comfort and miles got all super uncomfortable about it. She didn't want to gently caress, just have some human contact and support from her potato.

I don't think either side is wrong. She just had a horrific accident, her child doesn't recognize her... but its OK to be kinda off-put by a pre-teen wanting wife-level closeness, even if its not sexual.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
A lot of TOS episodes feel like they're about playing god.

vermin fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 7, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

I don't think either side is wrong. She just had a horrific accident, her child doesn't recognize her... but its OK to be kinda off-put by a pre-teen wanting wife-level closeness, even if its not sexual.

This is as dangerous a minefield of a topic as is possible on a trek thread, so I'll just say that it's perfectly understandable for him to be skeeved, but if his wife's mind was in a targ or an exocomp or a potted plant, it would still be appropriate for him to comfort her physically in a non-sexual way.

It wasn't even someone else's body, it was hers! She's got it worse than you do, get over yourself and hug your drat wife!

Really, this is another case of Things They Should Already Have Protocols About since this sort of poo poo happens all the time

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Timby posted:

It came out of nowhere when Siddig first got the script with the reveal, and he was pissed because he'd spent years developing this character and then suddenly he's given "lol he's just a space autist."

The episodes with Bashir's genetically altered autistic friends are among my least favorite DS9 episodes. They're only slightly above Quark getting a sex change and some weird alien lady giving Jake Sisko back massages.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Also Troi had the right idea in Rascals by suggesting that they don't age up, but take long vacations and come back to careers all fresh and youthful. I can see Keiko wanting to be with her family normally again, but you other 3 have no excuse.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Railing Kill posted:

Miles O'Brien Must Suffer episodes off the top of my head:

The Wounded (TNG)
Disaster (TNG)
Data's Day (TNG) (He marries Keiko in this one, so it counts)
The Storyteller (DS9)
Captive Pursuit (DS9)
Tribunal (DS9)
Visionary (DS9)
Hard Time (DS9)
Time's Orphan (DS9)
Empok Nor (DS9)
(I'm not counting any of the Mirror Universe poo poo. Smiley can fend for himself. Our universe is already hard enough on one Miles O'Brien.)

Of that list, "Hard Time" has to be the roughest. That one is legitimately upsetting. I know a few folks with PTSD, and that episode got me right in the feels, as the kids say. It's one of my favorite episodes, but also pretty hard to watch.

"Empok Nor" and "Tribunal" are right up there, though. Poor Miles. :(
Also "Whispers" and "Honor Among Thieves".

Visionary's a personal favorite. Jumping around time, watching the station explode, dying, and watching himself die is just another day in the life of Miles O'Brien.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Re: Chief O'brien chat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MorgaineDax posted:

Also Troi had the right idea in Rascals by suggesting that they don't age up, but take long vacations and come back to careers all fresh and youthful. I can see Keiko wanting to be with her family normally again, but you other 3 have no excuse.

Realistically you'd be a fool to not take the path of rejuvenation.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Realistically you'd be a fool to not take the path of rejuvenation.

I dunno, in a universe where humans live to be 140+, gaining an extra 20 years wouldn't be as big a deal.
- Picard would lose his command, he doesn't like dealing with children, and he'd have to put up with condescension from people who used to be his peers/subordinates.
- Keiko has a husband and a small child.
- Ro and Guinan I could understand accepting the situation. Guinan is already incredibly long lived and the 20 year gain for a human might be a 100+ year gain for her species. Ro has a dead-end job with a tarnished record in an organization full of people who don't trust her and would never promote her. Like Guinan says in the episode, Ro would also have a shot at an actual childhood.

Either way, it's a bad episode. :shrug:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I don't really think of Rascals as a bad episode. It's definitely silly, but I find it silly in a fun way rather than silly in a stupid way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrst8gmd9Cw&t=97s

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Few pages late on the discussion about why isn't Discovery being set post DS9, but, really, to me that's the biggest misstep. Even ignoring what a disaster Enterprise was. Like, the status quo such as it is after DS9 is already something radically different from previous Trek series. You have a golden opportunity to introduce new people to the franchise without alienating them while also experimenting with older things in new and interesting ways.
With peace with the Dominion, you obviously have the Gamma Quadrant to properly explore now. That in and of itself could supply a fresh take on the TNG formula if they really wanted in that you'd have a whole new quadrant full of - with the exception of the Jem'hedar and Vorta - basically entirely new aliens. Plus you can do some super interesting stories with how the Vorta, Jem, and other Dominion races and thralls are handling the new status quo. What even *is* the new Status Quo? Is the peace genuine? Or are the Federation and Dominion simply in a cold war like they were wit the Romulans? Have worlds in the GQ heard about the Cardassian revolution and been inspired to make their own bids to break free from the Founders?
All of this is super fertile ground for interesting stories.

And, back home, you also have a very different setting than Trek had before. The Dominion War has certainly taken a toll on all the major players of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. The Tal'Shiar got completely loving assblasted, the Cardassians are quite nearly an endangered species now, and the Klingons haven't fared all that great either. The Federation may have arguably come out the best from the Dominion War but even then. The political landscape is wildly different. And between the Maquis and the horrors of the Dominion War, while worlds like Bajor emerged unscathed, perhaps some Federation worlds are now considering that maybe they are better off on their own - look how well Bajor did by remaining neutral, and look at what the lofty ideals of the Federation got them.
Plus, thanks to Voyager, no more Borg and an entire pissed off quadrant that hates the Federation.

A post DS9 series would have amazing opportunities to both do new things, and do new and interesting things with old things. It is the perfect choice to set a series that is coming years after the last Trek series.

Missing such an obvious and golden opportunity without any reason or explanation has filled me with more concern for STD than any of the behind-the-scenes disaster talks have. Those are explainable errors. This is something entirely unforced.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Rascals is about as inoffensive as Bad Star Trek gets. Sure it's dumb, but whatever, it's got some good moments.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
He's my number one dad.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Eventually the prequels will go back so far we'll be at Earth Trek.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I imagine one of the issues with setting Discovery post-DS9 is that, as we've discussed off and on a lot of times, DS9 is the black sheep of the family with your broad potential audience. The last thing you'd want to do is base a new series, when you're trying to revive a tv franchise that the audience for needs expanding, anywhere close to the series that they don't remember and/or the one they didn't watch because it was expressly Not Your Daddy's Trek.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Missing such an obvious and golden opportunity without any reason or explanation has filled me with more concern for STD than any of the behind-the-scenes disaster talks have. Those are explainable errors. This is something entirely unforced.

I'm genuinely not joking when I say I think producers are really reluctant to touch the post-DS9 / -Voyager era because both Voyager and Enterprise showed us that the 25th century, from uniforms to starship designs (lol pizza-cutter Enterprise) to just about everything else, was loving stupid, and bullshit like Renegades has kind of poisoned the well with all the turbonerd "fall of the Federation" crap.

Sure, it could be worked with, but by continuously going back to the 23rd century, it allows a writer to, more or less, keep from going into a discomfort zone, because then there aren't like 20 seasons of stuff in "history" that need to be "respected" or whatever.

MillennialVulcan posted:

This was pretty much literally the idea of The Beginning, the Berman / Erik Jendresen stories they were pitching for a trilogy of films like two years to Paramount before the studio said "get the gently caress out" and went to JJ Abrams.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 7, 2017

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Orv posted:

Rascals is about as inoffensive as Bad Star Trek gets. Sure it's dumb, but whatever, it's got some good moments.

Riker's fake technobabble (and Frakes' delivery) was legitimately funny. Maybe that should've been the point where the staff finally realized how goofy that stuff can sound and stopped writing it unless it was for humour.

Also that whole episode is worth it just for Odo bringing it up to needle Worf years later.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Delsaber posted:

Maybe that should've been the point where the staff finally realized how goofy that stuff can sound and stopped writing it unless it was for humour.

The technobabble is the reason Brent Spiner really, really, really did not like Michael Piller.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MillennialVulcan posted:

You joke, but I'd watch the hell out of a World War III movie that you don't realize was a Star Trek movie until you realize that they keep calling the one side the ECons.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

Time for another episode of "Wacky Star Trek poo poo That Gonz Found Out There In The World":

They truly DID make an action figure for nearly every character, didn't they?

What is this wonderful place with racks full of obscure Trek figures?

Mental Hospitality posted:

I wish I still had my TNG transporter toy. I would have put all of those through it.

Mine is still in the back room of my parents' basement back in WNY. I've seen em on ebay.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

TheBigAristotle posted:

I remember as a kid I used to see some of these on racks more than normal main characters. Like, for some reason there were just tons and tons of "Data and Picard as Romulans" and "Guinan" action figures everywhere.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

TheBigAristotle posted:

Quite a few independent comic stores have a stock of random old action figures at a higher markup than normal retail. That looks like it might be some kind of closeout store though.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I gotta start looking for a Time's Arrow Mark Twain action figure.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MillennialVulcan posted:

It's set 600 years before TOS, and covers Cortez's conquest of the Aztecs.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I remember as a kid I used to see some of these on racks more than normal main characters. Like, for some reason there were just tons and tons of "Data and Picard as Romulans" and "Guinan" action figures everywhere.

I'd guess because the main characters sell quickly but the random aliens from forgettable TNG episode #182 will hang around on the shelves for years.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mental Hospitality posted:

I wish I still had my TNG transporter toy. I would have put all of those through it.

Mine's sitting on the shelf next to that big rear end shuttlecraft model.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

TheBigAristotle posted:

First 3 are from Bookmans and the 4th is from Zia Records.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The Tal'Shiar got completely loving assblasted…

…along with the rest of Romulus! (The hypernova is canon, right?)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheBigAristotle posted:

Mine is still in the back room of my parents' basement back in WNY. I've seen em on ebay.

Until recently, Kokomo Toys in Kokomo Indiana had a massive stock of MOC Playmates Trek figures. Last time I was there they'd either chucked them or put them in storage.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

CPColin posted:

Hah, I completely forgot about Nemesis and the mainline continuity poo poo from the Abrams films. Yeah. The Romulans are completely loving devastated and there should be a huge power vacuum even more-so than the stuff I already mentioned.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CPColin posted:

The supernova is canon, the ~~hypernova~~ is not.

Postwar, they may still be recovering, but the Federation is in a pretty good place right now. The Cardassians and Romulans are totally hosed and the Klingons just appointed a progressive pro-Federation Chancellor.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 7, 2017

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The best way to make a prequel or TOD era show work would be to show the adventures of a smaller ship like the Equinox. It can't do everything the big bad flagships we've always seen and even fails at times

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
For those that didn't back or haven't been following, the DS9 documentary Indiegogo just popped $500K and will now be (assuming CBS doesn't go turbo-dickhead on licensing) presenting selected scenes from DS9 in high-def.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

I'm genuinely not joking when I say I think producers are really reluctant to touch the post-DS9 / -Voyager era because both Voyager and Enterprise showed us that the 25th century, from uniforms to starship designs (lol pizza-cutter Enterprise) to just about everything else, was loving stupid, and bullshit like Renegades has kind of poisoned the well with all the turbonerd "fall of the Federation" crap.

Sure, it could be worked with, but by continuously going back to the 23rd century, it allows a writer to, more or less, keep from going into a discomfort zone, because then there aren't like 20 seasons of stuff in "history" that need to be "respected" or whatever.

Yeah, I have a really hard time faulting any writer/producer who doesn't want to hear "why didn't they just solve [problem] by throwing ~*holograms*~ at it??" after every single episode. Thanks, Voyager.

Also rather than having to get into why astro-political relations have deteriorated with the Klingons/Romulans sufficiently to blah blah blah, by putting it in the 23rd century it's just "oh poo poo, a Klingon/Romulan battlecruiser, fuckin' here we go!"

(and also I don't even like the DS9/Voyager/First Contact uniforms all that much)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MillennialVulcan posted:

Eugenics High School, this fall on The CW

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Who will play President Trump in the miniseries set during the Bell Riots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pakled posted:

Who will play President Trump in the miniseries set during the Bell Riots?

If it's on the CW, a thirty year old who plays a teenage character.