Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

jabby posted:

Unfortunately we don't live in the universe where the PLP backed Corbyn from the start so speculation of how he would have done if they did is just that: speculation.

I agree in as much as any party leader needs the support of their actual MPs to succeed. Electing one who doesn't and then imagining what might have happened if the MPs were different is pointless.

E: Series 33 sees companions Amy and Rory replaced by Clara

Paxman fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Brexit could be the biggest charitable reparation to Africa and the Levant in history, the biggest problem is that it had to be wrapped in 'Turkmen!' and 'Our Sovreignity!' to get it passed.

The only articles I saw through the whole referendum campaign even talking about this angle outside of anarchist publications with readerships in the dozens was something about the CAP and knock on effects on sub-Saharan Africa by Zambian economist Dambisa Moyo, something in the back of the Graun from one of the two Lib-Dem Leave MPs, and a couple of pieces in ThisIsAfrica about how the EU operates a Eurocentric Neocolonial foreign trade policy.

Even then I only found those through occasionally reading those publications, nothing like that came up in the mainstream debate. Even Lexit was mainly talking about how the EU is bad for the British left and British workers.

They could even have lied, like they did about the money for the NHS, or Turkey joining before Euro 2020. They could have tugged at the heartstrings of daytime television watchers. "This is Thandi. She is 8. She doesn't have clean drinking water because the EU stole it all to wash Francois Hollande's filthy ballsack." But they didn't, it was entirely a campaign of Us! Our stuff! Control! Them! Bad!

Im really glad you are seeing the good side in brexit but dont be down on how it was won. I think it's unrealistic to expect any referendum campiagn to present all the positions. As that thing I posted by Dominic Cummings showed, one big reason why Leave won was message discipline especially in the final stretch.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Breath Ray posted:

Im really glad you are seeing the good side in brexit but dont be down on how it was won. I think it's unrealistic to expect any referendum campiagn to present all the positions. As that thing I posted by Dominic Cummings showed, one big reason why Leave won was message discipline especially in the final stretch.

Unfortunately I can only imagine that the Tory CAP replacement will be just openly giving money to landowners while not even having environmental or biodiversity requirements.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

ukle posted:

Government has lost another amendment to the article 50 bill, this time its a serious one, requiring a proper veto and vote on the final deal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39200658

Expect a snap election to be called in weeks if the Lords don't back down, as that high a majority is not going to be turned around.

I mean, this is really kind of bad. Not one EU nation is going to give the UK favourable terms in negotiations if they know offering bad terms will get the whole Brexit thing voted against in parliament. It's completely hamstrung the government and the only thing worse for the prospects of the UK going solo in the future is a negotiating government now with no cards in their hand at all.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Rakosi posted:

I mean, this is really kind of bad. Not one EU nation is going to give the UK favourable terms in negotiations if they know offering bad terms will get the whole Brexit thing voted against in parliament. It's completely hamstrung the government and the only thing worse for the prospects of the UK going solo in the future is a negotiating government now with no cards in their hand at all.

Bad..... for the Tories!

I'm anti-EU to be sure but I'm not blind to the realities of what leaving will do. Proponents of both camps, I am yours to woo!

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Paxman posted:

I agree in as much as any party leader needs the support of their actual MPs to succeed. Electing one who doesn't and then imagining what might have happened if the MPs were different is pointless.

You can draw a bit of a distinction between a lack of support and active sabotage. We shouldn't pretend the PLP spoke out with principled objections to Corbyn's policies, they tried to character assassinate him, tried to force him to resign, and when that failed they ran a candidate against him that pretended to agree with all of his policies. They behaved disgracefully.

Fundamentally though, I agree with you. Where we differ is that I think the PLP has to reflect the membership of the party rather than the PLP being given total control over the leadership and direction and the membership being honour-bound to fund them and do all the work at election time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju is the good poo poo. Immaculately-made story of a dying art-form set against the most turbulent bits of twentieth-century Japanese history. Recommended if you like theatre, historical fiction, sexy dudes and ladies, and/or well-made, good-looking drama.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The Labour Party membership voted for Corbyn twice though. Reflecting them would not be a good idea.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

It's hard to circle the square of British Sovereignty whilst railing against our own parliamentarian system. Yes yes I know openly gay judges and all that, but I think lords sit closer to the Queen and rule britannia and all that.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Rakosi posted:

lol if we endup shamefacedly knocking the whole idea on the head in 2019.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

All of the anime recs are bad. What are you into, what have you seen thus far, what are you looking for, kill la kill is garbage

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

I think le pens election will make the idea ever more irresistible

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
JoJo has a well-dressed man violently murder an innocent plate of spaghetti so it's a good metaphor for Brexit imo.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The Deleter posted:

JoJo has a well-dressed man violently murder an innocent plate of spaghetti so it's a good metaphor for Brexit imo.

"Your next line is Brexit means Brexit!"
"Brexit means Brex...nani!?"

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Tiocfaidh ár lá

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

ulster loyalism and the alt right is a match made in hell, also transgender agenda has a nice ring to it

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

TinTower posted:

Tiocfaidh ár lá

If I wasn't already on the side of civil rights and Unification both, I certainly would support the IRA after reading this!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

namesake posted:

Bad..... for the Tories!

I'm anti-EU to be sure but I'm not blind to the realities of what leaving will do. Proponents of both camps, I am yours to woo!

There's only one camp itt, even Tess isn't representative of mainstream Leave.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

namesake posted:

The EU was founded on and principally developed as a functioning market, not a functioning state. That was the priority and everything else was bodged, rushed or not even done. This is why the EU is bad. Even if it had properly built a European state and replaced individual nationalism with European nationalism it would still be bad because it would be acting more like the USA under a Democrat president but actually bordering Russia, it wouldn't help the poor or the non-European any more than now.

Sure, but it has the potential to solve these EU-wide problems in an effective way, instead of letting members struggle and enabling the right wing to exploit that. The way it was actually handled was almost as if the EU didn't exist at all, so I wouldn't really characterise it as a failure of the EU as a concept. A failure to act like an organisation, definitely, but the alternative without the EU would basically have been the same situation

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Arlene really needs to get herself a better PR adviser.

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

also transgender agenda has a nice ring to it

It doesn't when you pronounce all your Rs.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

feedmegin posted:

There's only one camp itt, even Tess isn't representative of mainstream Leave.

That was more of a general statement, but naturally I don't expect the mainstream Leavers to try and appeal to me.

baka kaba posted:

Sure, but it has the potential to solve these EU-wide problems in an effective way, instead of letting members struggle and enabling the right wing to exploit that. The way it was actually handled was almost as if the EU didn't exist at all, so I wouldn't really characterise it as a failure of the EU as a concept. A failure to act like an organisation, definitely, but the alternative without the EU would basically have been the same situation

Eh, it's selfserving to assume that the alternative to the EU is 'nothing', even if that has been the most likely alternative. The reforms needed to the EU and Europe to make it a united area are so revolutionarily transformative that it's basically remaking the EU from the ground up anyway, let alone the changes needed to make it a leftwing united area.

namesake fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 7, 2017

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

fridge corn posted:

Why am I not surprised that there are so many earnest anime likers itt

I only watch good British anime like Funnybones, Dangermouse, or Monkey Dust.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Tom Watson up to his old tricks, stepping in at the last minute to remove Rebecca Long-Bailey from the selection panel for the next by-election and shift the balance of power towards the right of the party. Can't have a Corbyn supporter elected as an MP.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

ulster loyalism and the alt right is a match made in hell, also transgender agenda has a nice ring to it

That's literally where Britain First came from.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

That's literally where Britain First came from.
And on that topic:

OwlFancier posted:

I invariably play a pretty good character in every RPG but I like ones that give you the option to be a dickhead because a game that railroads you to being nice doesn't really connect as well as games where you elect to be nice. That's sort of an aspect of the medium, that the player has agency, and what separates it from a linear narrative and facilitates its ability to communicate with the player.

Guavanaut posted:

There's an anti-radicalization CYOA where no matter what you do your character becomes more and more fash ... I think it's part of Saatchi's anti far right campaign. I can't find it anywhere now though.
I found it, I found the 'interactive' video experience where the nazi leader hides out in your house to make dank memes and they bring an Orangeman in to teach you to set a bottle on fire.

https://openyoureyestohate.com/

I also like how the URL appeares to be something-something-yes-to-hate at first reading.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

jabby posted:

Tom Watson up to his old tricks, stepping in at the last minute to remove Rebecca Long-Bailey from the selection panel for the next by-election and shift the balance of power towards the right of the party. Can't have a Corbyn supporter elected as an MP.

It seems jeremy missed the meeting and with it the chance to vote in support of her?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

namesake posted:

Eh, it's selfserving to assume that the alternative to the EU is 'nothing', even if that has been the most likely alternative. The reforms needed to the EU and Europe to make it a united area are so revolutionarily transformative that it's basically remaking the EU from the ground up anyway, let alone the changes needed to make it a leftwing united area.

Yeah I'm not saying the EU is ideal or that the way it is didn't contribute to its 'eh whatever' approach or anything, but like you say it would take a lot for an alternative to have become a more effective cohesive whole

Just saying that I don't think their non-approach is something you can blame on the EU itself, since it likely would have panned out the same way with border states struggling and other countries taking as many or as few as they like. Unlike say its economic policies and their consequences which are absolutely down to the EU and its priorities

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Breath Ray posted:

It seems jeremy missed the meeting and with it the chance to vote in support of her?

Good catch

quote:

“Jeremy was perfectly entitled to turn up and vote himself. You cannot and should not take these meetings for granted,” the MP said.

Maybe he was having one of his famous days off?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

Good catch

Maybe he was having one of his famous days off?

Or maybe he had other things to do, and naively assumed (as we're constantly told) that the right wing of the party aren't constantly working to undermine him with shenanigans?

You missed the best part of the quote: "they're just bad losers" says Keith Vaz, smirking

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

Or maybe he had other things to do

Then it can't be that important to him.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
jam waits for no man

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The fact that it's referred to as an 'ambush' implies that several people were involved in stacking this last-minute telephone meeting to get Vaz on the panel.

But you guys are right, one of Corbyn's biggest flaws is that he doesn't relentlessly pursue power and is often content to leave things up to the 'process' seemingly without realising people are actively working against him. It's the same attitude that ended up with a bunch of new members being ousted from the last leadership election. He should be fighting every step.

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007

Namtab posted:

All of the anime recs are bad. What are you into, what have you seen thus far, what are you looking for, kill la kill is garbage

Kill La Kill is actually great. It's not Imaishi's best buts it's still miles better than other stuff out there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Igiari posted:

Kill La Kill is actually great. It's not Imaishi's best buts it's still miles better than other stuff out there.

Kill la Kill is absolutely not something you give out as a blind recommendation unless you know that the recommendee is likely to be OK with all the... stuff that happens in the second half (or, hell, a chunk of the stuff that happens in the first half). Might want to adjust your filters a little.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

jabby posted:

The fact that it's referred to as an 'ambush' implies that several people were involved in stacking this last-minute telephone meeting to get Vaz on the panel.

But you guys are right, one of Corbyn's biggest flaws is that he doesn't relentlessly pursue power and is often content to leave things up to the 'process' seemingly without realising people are actively working against him. It's the same attitude that ended up with a bunch of new members being ousted from the last leadership election. He should be fighting every step.

Fancy being so disorganised slash lazy slash complacent that you miss a telephone meeting that determines the leader of your greatest regional asset. He literally could have phoned it in!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

Do not anime shame unless someone tells you to watch Naruto.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

This is currently the best-case scenario. "Sorry everyone, rush of blood and all that"

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

jabby posted:

That article is full of such utter bollocks it can only be accurate. You have Labour sources saying that they didn't want Corbyn selecting 'another White Man' to run, alongside Center/Center-Right supporters promoting an older 'White Man' who's the current PCC and:

quote:

everyone's second choice and that's not a bad place to be

As if picking someone literally no-one thinks is a prime candidate is a winning strategy. :downsbravo:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Igiari posted:

While it's hyperkinetic animation style is good, it's absolutely not something for new entries to the medium for many reasons, 4 second butt slapping being among them. If you're going to rec a gainax/trigger work then I can think of at least three that are more suitable for people who don't watch many anims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Namtab posted:

While it's hyperkinetic animation style is good, it's absolutely not something for new entries to the medium for many reasons, 4 second butt slapping being among them. If you're going to rec a gainax/trigger work then I can think of at least three that are more suitable for people who don't watch many anims.
What the gently caress does any of that mean? Dont worry I dont care.

• Locked thread