Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire rpg has comprehensive rules related to running a House and it's holdings. I think a good third of the book is dedicated to this stuff. It also has random charts for everything, including a four step chart to generate your heraldry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Dune: Chronicle of the Imperium had the default campaign frame of running your own House Minor (and rules to support that).

Underground had rules for changing society through your characters' hard work (making it less crime-ridden or unequal).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Does Haven ... City of Violence have rules for running the city

... of violence?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Haven is a weird game because of how simple it is. There are a zillion games out there that are like "It's a crime-ridden city, and..." but Haven is just, like, a crime-ridden city. There's nothing supernatural going on, no cyberpunk conceit. That's not to say you can't have a compelling game without those things, but Haven also doesn't have the style to be the Sin City roleplaying game it seems to want to be. There's just not a lot of there there.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Haven* was also from that weird 90's era of RPG design where the idea of having your game be about something hadn't quite hit yet. You just made RPGs, what people were supposed to do with them was up to them. c.f.: most licensed games of the era.

*For the Ghost Who Walks!City of Violence

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Older goons who are used to having a 40+ hour job and trying to game, what is your advise to balance and budget time? I really want to run some more games, but I'm not in college anymore and my schedule is much, much tighter. What do you suggest for scheduling when all weekdays are effectively out and Saturday (until April 15th) is iffy at best? Like, I don't mean for you to give me a number as that is out-and-out unreasonable and arguably impossible. What I mean more is what you'd suggest from experience on how to budget time?

I very, very much prefer IRL and online w/ voice and I can never seem to keep devoted to a PBP for long. On the other hand, now I'm stuck behind a computer all day so maybe PBP is easier than when I used to be more out-and-about all day.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I've juggled GMing + law school and the way I did it was I picked a system that rewarded improv, did very little prep (mostly encounter design), and our sessions only lasted two hours. That allowed me to do it weekly. If I'd had a more reliable group I might have done longer, more prepared sessions once a month but with the group I actually had I feel like that would have resulted in people drifting off and forgetting the game existed.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm a NEET on welfare.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Covok posted:

Older goons who are used to having a 40+ hour job and trying to game, what is your advise to balance and budget time? I really want to run some more games, but I'm not in college anymore and my schedule is much, much tighter. What do you suggest for scheduling when all weekdays are effectively out and Saturday (until April 15th) is iffy at best? Like, I don't mean for you to give me a number as that is out-and-out unreasonable and arguably impossible. What I mean more is what you'd suggest from experience on how to budget time?

I very, very much prefer IRL and online w/ voice and I can never seem to keep devoted to a PBP for long. On the other hand, now I'm stuck behind a computer all day so maybe PBP is easier than when I used to be more out-and-about all day.

When you find the secret, let us know, because I've never been able to find it.

Discord text-based stuff comes close, though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Covok posted:

Check out Never Unprepared from Engine Press. It's a GM advice book about preparing for games, and I'd guess half of it is about the actual prep and half of it is about balancing prep with life. It's written by a trained project manager and it's probably on sale on DTRPG for GM's Day still.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I'm an office drone so at my job even when I'm working I can be thinking about plots and potential NPCs and such. Mid-week I can even pop open a pdf from a thumb drive and look for monsters or cool powers for them and whatnot.

So basically my advice is "get a job with a boatload of downtime and internet access." :v:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Covok posted:

PBP is alright if you just wanna check the thread at the end of the day and do your turn; goons PBPs are bad for fizzling out though.

I once ran a game of D&D where I ended up with like 10 players at the start, and basically just juggled a session or two a week, whenever it fit with my schedule, with whichever players were available that day; sometimes a ~3 hour meetup twice a week is good, if you can only wrangle weekday nights.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Covok posted:

Recognizing that you just said weekdays were out, I found that a weeknight game (say 6:30 - 10:30pm) every two or three weeks with a system that makes things very easy for the GM was the best way forward. When people have lives and jobs, setting aside a weekend to game wasn't usually possible, because of all the errands and other essential to-do items that really can only be done on a weekend. In my case, I used 4e, because while the combats and skill challenges were involved, it was also feasible to spontaneously generate a relatively easily matched encounter by picking an appropriate number of level-appropriate baddies and reskinning them into what I needed. As far as adventuring goes, I didn't preplan a single thing, and just made up things on the fly.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

P.d0t posted:

PBP is alright if you just wanna check the thread at the end of the day and do your turn; goons PBPs are bad for fizzling out though.

Do other forums have better luck with PBPs? I thought most PBPs fizzled out over time.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I think reliable "grown-up" gaming relies most heavily on just getting together a group of people that will actually show up on time and at least somewhat invested. It's annoying but easier to brush off flakiness when you're a dumb kid with tons of time and no standards.

This is the biggest and most important hurdle, and depending on your circumstances may mean happiness is impossible.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Haven* was also from that weird 90's era of RPG design where the idea of having your game be about something hadn't quite hit yet. You just made RPGs, what people were supposed to do with them was up to them. c.f.: most licensed games

That's a good point. I guess Haven really stands out because AFAIK there is absolutely no reason not to just get in a car and drive to a different city.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It really is strange that the idea of asking "so what am I actually supposed to do in your game and/or setting?" is relatively recent.

e: I mean, there was a Starship Troopers RPG and an Aliens RPG. What the hell are you supposed to do in those except shoot aliens and get killed?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Evil Mastermind posted:

It really is strange that the idea of asking "so what am I actually supposed to do in your game and/or setting?" is relatively recent.

When I first started playing, most of the people I knew just took every session as an opportunity to try and troll or backstab a random number of player characters. It didn't really matter what the adventure or setting was about. They didn't give a poo poo about if their character died because they'd just make a nearly identical-in-concept one two weeks later.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Flavivirus posted:

My own Legacy: Life Among the Ruins takes rebuilding after the Apocalypse as its main theme: every player gets a family of survivors to manage and tools to reshape the homeland over the generations. The latest book also added civilisation-style wonders - big projects you work on over long sweeps of time, competing with other players to be the first to complete them.

For clarification does the core book "Legacy: Life Among the Ruins" have these base building rules? What is the name of the supplement with the civilization-style wonders? Very cool by the way.

xiw posted:

And yeah the Companion book for BECMI had pretty revolutionary dominion management rules which were expanded on in the later books, because the assumption was that every PC would be running a dominion - the later modules were one of the few places we've seen D&D adventures that were working on the expectation that everyone would be a local baron.

What is BECMI?

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It's Gilded Cage.

:argh: Good catch

Halloween Jack posted:

gently caress, Harn has detailed rules for managing a field of turnips.

:neckbeard: I'm excited about harvesting virtual turnips.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

e: I mean, there was a Starship Troopers RPG and an Aliens RPG. What the hell are you supposed to do in those except shoot aliens and get killed?

I think it's not that the question is recent and more that any real attempt to answer it is. Most old games just sort of assumed you would know what to do with it, after all the people who made it got by just fine. By the way, here are about 500 new rules covering literally everything anyone can do ever, that we included mostly just to fill pages.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Thanks for all your input!

Updated List

Base Building, Domain Management or Organization Building RPG guide.

quote:

D&D
D&D Companion Set (BECMI Ed.)
Birthright (AD&D)
Stronghold Builder’s Guidebook (3.5 D&D)
Dragon 395 (4ed D&D) – strongholds and upgrades
Adventurer’s Vault 2; Dragon 383 – lair magic items
Dragon 412 (4ed D&D) – boats
Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium – hireling rules
Admiral o' the High Seas (4ed D&D; Pathfinder) aka Seas of Zeitgeist – building ships, naval combat

OSR/D&D related
Ultimate Campaign (Pathfinder) – has updated Kingmaker rules
Hell’s Rebels Campaign (Pathfinder) – build a rebellion
Way of the Wicked Book 2 (Pathfinder) – Henchmen management rules
Way of the Wicked Book 6-7 (Pathfinder) – Kingdom management rules
Adventurer Conqueror King - domain management
The Nightmares Underneath - establishing ties to and influence over local businesses and organizations

Sine Nomine (goon Kevin Crawford)
An Echo Resounding
Godbound
Stars Without Number
Other Dust
Silent Legions

HarnMaster
HarnManor – manage noble estate, growing motherfucking turnips
Pilot’s Almanac – sailing ships, trading cargo

White Wolf
Gilded Cage (V:tM)
Damnation City (V:tR)
Exalted 2e Storyteller's Companion – Mandate of Heaven rules.
Exalted 2e Masters of Jade

Traveller (Mongoose)
Traveller: Core – build planets
Merchant Prince - trading companies
Dynasty – manage dynasties over generations
Mercenary – military bases.

GURPS
GURPS Boardroom and Curia
GURPS Low-Tech Companions 1-3
GURPS Dungeon Fantasy: Taverns
GURPS Dungeon Fantasy: Guilds
GURPS City Stats

Other
Sagas of the Icelanders - Icelandic Homestead Management minigame
Mutant: Year Zero
Conspiracy X
Blades in the Dark
Reign
Ars Magica
Pendragon
Gods and Monsters (Fate)
Mystic Empyrean
Apocalypse World - hardholder has to manage their settlement, the hocus has to manage their cult, the chopper manages their gang.
Legacy: Life Among the Ruins (goon) – family management
Mirrors in the Ruins (goon) – civ-style grand projects
Weapons of the Gods Companion
Green Law of Varkith (Dungeon World) – build guild
Spellbound Kingdoms
Savage Worlds Super Hero Companion – build superhero bases
Champions (all versions) – build superhero bases
Rogue Trader: Stars of Inequity – build planets and manage colonies
A Song of Ice and Fire (Green Ronin) – run game of thrones house and holdings
Dune: Chronicle of the Imperium – manage a House Minor
Underground – changing society to be more or less crime-ridden rules

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 8, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

BECMI stands for Basic Expert Companions Masters Immortals, it's an old D&D ruleset.

Edit: Specifically it is five rule sets that you move characters from one to the next as they advance in level.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don't know if I'd list Nobilis; it can be about running a kingdom or whatever but it doesn't really have any rules relating to that.

Although, you should still read it, and buy the second edition PDF from DriveThru, obviously.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Is there a broad consensus as to whether 2nd or 3rd edition is preferable nowadays?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
One of them doesn't involve Rand, so there you go.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kwyndig posted:

BECMI stands for Basic Expert Companions Masters Immortals, it's an old D&D ruleset.

Edit: Specifically it is five rule sets that you move characters from one to the next as they advance in level.

Expanding on this, BECMI is the third version of D&D Basic that came out in installments from 1983 to 1985. Basic had multiple versions starting with the original Basic, published in 1977. Then Basic/Expert (B/X) revision came out in 1981. Then the BECMI revisions came out, and then BECMI was revised again and published as the Rules Cyclopedia, minus the Immortals installment, in 1991.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Ferrinus posted:

Is there a broad consensus as to whether 2nd or 3rd edition is preferable nowadays?

The third edition is broadly better in every way aside from being largely an ugly book, so you should use those rules.

The reason you should buy the second edition is that buying that gives money to Jenna and buying the third edition gives money to EOS, who stole all the money that was supposed to print copies of Chuubo.

(The third edition also involves me. Arivia, you are the most incompetent stalker I have ever had.)

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Helical Nightmares posted:

For clarification does the core book "Legacy: Life Among the Ruins" have these base building rules? What is the name of the supplement with the civilization-style wonders? Very cool by the way.

So Legacy: Life Among the Ruins has rules for managing your family - growing them over generations, seizing new resources, dealing with their needs etc. It's not quite base building - your family *can* have a base but they can also be scattered across the wasteland's different settlements, or travel nomadically between them. Either way you'll have tools to reshape the world and build your family up.

Mirrors in the Ruins, the newest supplement, is the one with civ-style grand projects. It's got a giant city, an information network, a revolution and a colossal war as its example projects, to try and show the different things the system's good for.

Thanks for your interest!

Rand Brittain posted:

The third edition is broadly better in every way aside from being largely an ugly book, so you should use those rules.

The reason you should buy the second edition is that buying that gives money to Jenna and buying the third edition gives money to EOS, who stole all the money that was supposed to print copies of Chuubo.

(The third edition also involves me. Arivia, you are the most incompetent stalker I have ever had.)

I'd agree 3rd Edition is far better - the project system does a lot to provide direction to the game while keeping players in the driving seat. On the stat side, Persona gives a lot more breadth to Nobles than Realm, and lets you mess with the qualities of your estate as well as its substance in some really fun ways. Treasure's a bit more confusing, but thankfully there's a mini supplement that explains it very nicely. The mini-supplement for Deceivers is also pretty great - it's a shame EOS' incompetence/misbehaviour ran the line into the ground, as I'd liked to have seen more of those supplements.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Its as the players advance, not the characters. If you were playing with the master set, you don't need to build simpler characters the next game. Every feature that isn't explicitly a class feature you get at name level is meant to be used from level one. OK, immortals isn't exactly like that, but immortals is weird.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
It also actually has a mass combat system that's usable at the table without wanting to shoot yourself in the face.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Covok posted:

My group generally mixes a weekly game session (ideally) with pbp during the week, usually 3ish or so posts. Since inevitably people have to miss some weeks and/or game gets canceled, it helps keep the flow going and lets people still feel invested even if they've had to miss the regular game for a while.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

xiw posted:

It also actually has a mass combat system that's usable at the table without wanting to shoot yourself in the face.
We actually used the mass combat rules to clear out crap encounters and having, let the orc squad handle it ruled because some encounters have 20+ bad guys and the mass combat gives you a way to resolve it with a couple rolls. There was always the understanding that if an encounter was going to be something fun we'd play it out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

I'm down to one weekday set aside for a 2-hour gaming session. I'm also in front of a computer all day, but even then I find PBPs are interminably slow, so I'm trying the Discord chat approach so that we can get more than one call-response cycle done in a day.

It might come down to shifting to a monthly model where you set aside a Saturday or something and do a longer, 4-to-6 hour session.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

99% of my gaming in the past few years has been me running a weekly 13th Age organized play campaign. We're going to be taking a break on it for a while (since we've been doing it for like three years) and will be starting a Shadowrun game once we finish this up.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

3rd is OK by me, didn't like 2nd much.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Yeah, I got the sense that 3rd was better so I wasn't sure why 2nd was being recommended. That sucks about EOS.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Going by the Fatal & Friends thread, I picked up Ray Winninger's Underground and The Underground Companion. The former is everything I was promised! I bought the latter in hopes it would expound on the universe, but it's more of a gear book. Are any of the other Underground books more than just gear lists and bonuses?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
So instead of Strike!, I'm running a Dune-based game on Sunday, and I'm looking for suggestions regarding rulesets.

This is going to be either a one-shot or a short campaign, so I'm not going with Fate or PbtA. Making a full set of playbooks in a few days would be too much work, anyway.

My basic idea is that there will be several classes (Assassin, Bene Gesserit, Mentat, Heir, Warmaster) with 3 special abilities each. Because the PCs are such badasses, they get a primary and a secondary, with all the abilities of their primary and 1 or 2 from their secondary. Abilities will mostly be simple but potent things like "You get a bonus on any roll related to gathering information, no matter the skill," or "You have a special class skill that covers three other skills."

What I'm looking for is a ruleset that's simple, but has enough complexity that the players feel like their special abilities matter. Another thing I want is for the action/combat rules to be balanced so that a Swordmaster actually can hold his own against a pack of mooks singlehandedly.

Hm. Some people want to play Fate with nothing but Aspects; I'm thinking about trying something like Fate's setup without aspects. I like the idea of making it skills-only, no basic ability scores.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
If you want to run it in FATE, you could pretty easily do a five skill approach, named after the five classes, that each let you do stuff most appropriate to that job. I did a system like that for Orlanthi in Glorantha, and used Thane, Chief, Trickster, Loremaster, and Trader. I started people with +3, +2, +1, +1, +0. For special abilities (or magic in Glorantha), I gave them two extra Aspects that were specifically for their special abilities, and gave them much more leeway to make declarations using them.

The result worked well for a very story/roleplay driven game, though we kinda ended up scrapping traditional FATE combat as we went on and just using more general RPed conflict, since no one liked FATE combat much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

As useful time-budget advice in general, figuring out a way to cook ahead and things that can be prepared quickly helps free up a bit more evening time, particularly if you have friends over for dinner and then gaming (something I like to do), but even if not doing that--well, grabbing fast food is an option but not the healthiest one. Even one of the better grade of frozen dinners is superior if there's facility for heating it. If you're in a group of adults, coordinating dinner plans along with gaming plans can help everyone be on time.

As others have said, don't hold onto once-a-week for dear life, it just isn't always going to happen. It may even be a minority case. I've found as an adult that two hour sessions are perfectly adequate to accomplishing some useful game goals (at least in less crunchy games) as long as people are fairly focused. Ban laptops and phone-fiddling at the gaming table; basically the goal is to reduce distractions. If they aren't that into the game and would rather be texting, it might not be a good game for that person. It might not matter as much in college when you can just laze around and game all night but with short sessions the bullshitting has to take a back seat.

• Locked thread