Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Someone explain to me how to make a viable build (in this case, bow ranger) without following some boring build some else has made.

Like I want to get into this game, but the "spend 120 hours only to find whoops your build wasn't viable and that character's permanently hosed" thing is scaring me.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

Some explain to me how to make a viable build (in this case, bow ranger) without following some boring build some else has made.

Like I want to get into this game, but the "spend 120 hours only to find whoops your build wasn't viable and that character's permanently hosed) thing is scaring me.

You seem to be expressing unreconcilable desires.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

SlyFrog posted:

Some explain to me how to make a viable build (in this case, bow ranger) without following some boring build some else has made.

Like I want to get into this game, but the "spend 120 hours only to find whoops your build wasn't viable and that character's permanently hosed) thing is scaring me.

follow someone's build that isn't boring

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

euphronius posted:

You seem to be expressing unreconcilable desires.

I don't think so. There should be some heuristics as to how to pick what you want while still being viable, as opposed to a bunch of autistic "follow this build or be non-viable" stuff.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SlyFrog posted:

I don't think so. There should be some heuristics as to how to pick what you want while still being viable, as opposed to a bunch of autistic "follow this build or be non-viable" stuff.
These heuristics are called "repeatedly spend 120 hours only to find "whoops I didn't think about that"".

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

SlyFrog posted:

I think your running into a typical ARPG fault: most builds are "viable" to a point, then only certain builds are viable after that, with a few builds being able to complete the hardest content.

If your willing to hit a brick wall at some point, do whatever you want. If you don't want to hit a brick wall, follow a build. The odds of you figuring out a super viable build when your just starting is very low.

That being said, I just recently created my first build, and heres generally how i chose.

1) Figure out if you want to be melee or ranged, physical or elemental. Then figure what skills you want to use. Most builds have a single target damage skill, a trash clearing skill, and some defense setup.
2) Look at the passive tree and figure out which keystones are going to make the most sense for your build. Pick a starter class that's close by to those keystones AND has an ascendancy that makes sense for your build. Most likely you will choose a class that has similar stats to your skills (ie if your choosing dex skills, choose a class that starts in a dex area).
3) Craft a passive tree that paths to your keystones first, and then pick up enough life nodes to get 180%+ life. Finally, I would pick all the nodes nearby that increase your offense. Get any jewel slots that are within 2 nodes of your main path.

There you go! That should get you to merciless. Or not. Good luck.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

SlyFrog posted:

Build making is complicated and it's hard to give more advice than 'Get more life' without responding to specific plans. A way you could make sure your passive tree is alright, which is the hardest thing to replace on a character if it's hosed up, is to take one generically useful (i.e. a lightning arrow ranger that doesn't use any obvious gimmicks) and strip that down to its bones so you just have a skeleton of an elemental bow build. Just keep all the survivability, try to not change the passive tree too much, and you can play around with skill setups and uniques as much as you want within that frame work.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SlyFrog posted:

Someone explain to me how to make a viable build (in this case, bow ranger) without following some boring build some else has made.

Like I want to get into this game, but the "spend 120 hours only to find whoops your build wasn't viable and that character's permanently hosed" thing is scaring me.

most builds are viable with some tweaking and no builds are completely unfixable

I got to 85 and hate my build so guess what I'm spending like 20c to change it around and then it'll be fun again

how to find good build you'll like: level with the skill, do you like how it plays? Can you see yourself doing it more? if so, whammo you found your skill of choice, if you don't like it go back to start, pick a new skill as you level and keep going

the only real "hard" choice as in choice that sucks rear end to take back is ascendency, you should probably think if you want to do totems (don't) ranged (yes) spells (yes) or melee (hell yes) or summoner (lol)

if you can pick one of those 5 you have a lot of wiggle room within those to switch skills. Sometimes it can be as easy as "literally the same build/gear just swap a skill gem and you have a new funner build"

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

This is helpful stuff. Thank you.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Does whirling blades work if you're dual wielding a dagger + sceptre/other? My current pizza sticks guy is using dual sceptres and flame dash, but everyone suggests whirling blades. Is there any real bonus to whirling blades other than it doesnt have charges? Flame dash seems equally valid for avoiding harm.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah you can use a dagger and scepter

whirling blades gets really fast with some attack speed. i like have a flame dash too though even with wb or shield charge just for ledges and fences.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

SlyFrog posted:

You can always post your build outline (skill tree, key uniques) itt. We will poo poo on it and you can tune some things.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

peak debt posted:

CWC with Firestorm is pretty nice and will get you into red maps easily. But the majority of your DPS will come from Firestorm then.
Rime Gaze is a very cheap 5L, Doryani fire belts also don't break the bank.

What would you recommend for class? If inquisitor I've got one at 55 currently specced for flameblast totems that I could maybe turn around. I'm poor though, don't have enough to get the regrets together, I don't think, so might be saner to re-level.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Soothing Vapors posted:

You can always post your build outline (skill tree, key uniques) itt. We will poo poo on it and you can tune some things.
Please do this. People posting their builds and getting into how and why they work taught me a huge amount of how this game works and now I make or tweak most of my builds. Plus it's fun to see what crazy poo poo people like to try :unsmigghh:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

SlyFrog posted:

While not for a bow ranger, this dude has decent look on what a build actually needs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i2o2wW7xbQ

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

SlyFrog posted:

I've been playing since closed beta and I would consider myself pretty good at making my own builds, but I definitely don't think I'd be capable of coming up with a build that I was certain could do Shaper before I started without extensively researching other people's builds first. Maybe rather than blindly following a build, just look at a few that are similar to what you want to do, and then take ideas from them to make your own build.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The thing about following guides/making your own builds in this game is that the simple advice of "follow a guide" doesn't touch on the reason why you need to follow a guide if you're new: you won't know what's actually in the game when you're starting out. And this is something that has always been a problem with PoE because it's so hard to switch builds. Here's a list of things you actually have to just know through memorization or experience to make a build:

1. What things are on the passive tree. It's fundamentally impossible to come up with a good passive tree unless you actually know what's on the passive tree so you know what to go for. You can kind of muck around with this but there's a lot of clusters on the tree that aren't worthwhile and lots of basically mandatory clusters for builds you won't naturally find your way to unless you know from the beginning that you should be going for them.

2. What amount of damage and survivability is actually acceptable, and how useful certain stats are. Without experience, you basically have no way to know that 100% increased life is way too little and 200% is about what you want. There's absolutely no way to know how important the attack life/mana leech cluster near Duelist is for your build unless you've tried to play with and without it, and if you don't realize this you probably won't path anywhere near it. Likewise, you'll probably have no idea whether or not you should be getting life regen on the tree, and how much, or whether or not armor/evasion/ES nodes are any good at all for your build.

3. What attacking skills are in the game and how they compare. This has varying levels of importance, as everything that benefits Blade Flurry also benefits Reave for example, but Shock Nova, Ball Lightning, Arc, and Spark all want very different stats that you have to plan around accordingly.

4. What support gems/ways to augment skills are in the game. This is way more important than people realize. You can't really come up with how ignite or poison scaling builds should work if you don't know what possible ways you have of applying ignite/poison effectively, or what class/items/passives actually augment them.

5. Similar to point #2, what a character should play like. The fundamental beginner experience probably looks something like starting a Witch and then picking up the Zombie gem, then grabbing minion nodes and fire damage nodes and spell damage nodes while trying to cast fireball and use zombies to kill things. And this is probably the absolute worst thing you could ever possibly do to your character if you want to make it terrible.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 7, 2017

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Wask posted:

I have about 60c worth of currency from my ED/Contagion trickster but I'm not really feeling it. Clears are good if a little clunky, hard bosses are a pain. I only started playing in Breach so not a pro. Hoping for something with good clear speed that is also T16/Shaper viable with some investment. Want to end 2.x by actually killing Shaper and other harder content.

I'm thinking 2h chieftain warchief totems, some BV/poison setup (occultist or berserker), or maybe inquisitor doomfletch if that is still a thing. Suggestions?

I'm following a guide that was apparently translated from Russian for a Blade Flurry Marauder. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1769014

The translation is shaky and the OP is a huge dick to anyone who questions his choices, but other people came in later in the thread backing up the build.

I have an elemental BF Inquisitor on Standard and BF is an amazing skill for clearing trash on maps in complete lazy mode, but not so much on the tougher bosses. So I wanted something similar that uses BF that could also stand up to bosses and I'm hoping this is it. We'll see.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SlyFrog posted:

For most people I think it takes wasting those hours on a first (and second and third) character to really learn how to put a build together but those hours are fun. If you're brand new and want to wing it, just get lots of life nodes and some bow damage nodes and then ask questions in guild chat or in the thread. You can always make a character work that's just a big stack of Life and Damage. You'll want to try something else eventually and you'll apply what you learned to your new character and be a little stronger each time.

This is the easiest patch ever to do this in because you can just open the skill tree and search for "Maximum Life" or "Bows" or "physical damage" or "projectile damage" or "critical strike" or "attack speed" or "elemental damage" or... (This is why it's hard to wing it when you're new)

It basically just comes down to "Get a ton of life (or CI/ES)" and then "Get as many nodes that increase the damage of my chosen attack/weapon as I can squeeze in without losing too much life". Pick one attack skill and don't get damage nodes that don't affect it.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 8, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

"should be" is a normative desire

Im telling you there isnt

edit

It looks like you were satisfied by an answer so cool. Game is real fun.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

Ultima66 posted:

Here's a good place for me to step in and describe how I think my way through making a build.

etc

In my experience, unaided molten strike is pretty lackluster for packs even with a lot of aoe. Gladiator has some inefficiency on shield nodes but gratuitous violence turns MS, even moreso than a lot of skills, into a screen clearer because the sheer number and spread of hits it generates means everything ends up bleeding before popping. Also high block/spell block is an extremely good defense.

I wouldn't count inquisitor out either, because although it's true you aren't going to hit a 95% crit rate, you can get quite a bit and just focus on stacking up any type of ele damage instead of worrying about phys damage, conversion, penetration, etc. You don't need all your hits to crit if the 60-70% that do are monsters. You can also buy claws and jewelry with a bunch of ele dps for cheap instead of fighting with everyone over the high phys ones.

Your suggestions are entirely valid though. MS is a really versatile skill that's fun and viable for the whole family.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Did they recently buff ground slam? it seems much better at low levels.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Books On Tape posted:

I'm following a guide that was apparently translated from Russian for a Blade Flurry Marauder. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1769014

The translation is shaky and the OP is a huge dick to anyone who questions his choices, but other people came in later in the thread backing up the build.

I have an elemental BF Inquisitor on Standard and BF is an amazing skill for clearing trash on maps in complete lazy mode, but not so much on the tougher bosses. So I wanted something similar that uses BF that could also stand up to bosses and I'm hoping this is it. We'll see.

Inquisitor BF can do Shaper fine and this guy is using a loving Abyssus as Berserker using Vaal Pact and Blood Rage.

I mean if you're into that kind of thing more power to you I guess. I'm pretty sure he's doing less damage than he would if he just used poison.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i need an invite as kingkonginthetrunk if there's still spots

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm thinking I want to try making a build based purely on SR, as my first attempt at making my own build. I can't use poeplanner at work but I can use pathofexile.com's planner (:psyduck:), so I came up with this skeleton for an Occultist ES-based SR user before I got infuriated with the slow rendering :v:. I figured Occultist because I'd read here about the interaction between the Wicked Ward node and Soul Strike, and it sounds pretty funky and fun (even for a guy like me who's traditionally :geno: to CI).

Does this seem like a sensible skeleton for me to start with and fill out later? Can SR on its own work, especially on the cheap/league start currency level, or is this a doomed enterprise?

(On a related note, what would the support gems for SR be? I'm thinking controlled destruction, elemental focus, faster casting, and fire penetration but I'm blanking on what #6 would be.)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Fire Penetration won't work since it's DoT.

Less/Increased Duration/Rapid Decay would work, not sure which one would be best though.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whats the most dps you've theorycrafted on builder? I got to 8.5 million and I'm wondering just how high you can go.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

whypick1 posted:

Fire Penetration won't work since it's DoT.

Less/Increased Duration/Rapid Decay would work, not sure which one would be best though.

:doh: See I can't remember all these frickin' rules with what counts for what when it comes to hitting/not hitting.

Had a better idea for a skeleton, though: a life-based/MoM SR Inquisitor. Avoids my problem of not liking CI and seems to still mostly benefit from all the Inquisitor nodes I took. (Mostly.) Does this seem like a sound start?

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Ultima66 posted:

Here's a good place for me to step in and describe how I think my way through making a build.

Ah, cool, thank you! Honestly, I'm probably going to go with Raider because I just kinda hate Pathfinder as a class. I realize it's the best one in the game and has the highest DPS after you spent 20 exalts on flasks, but I will never make that much currency, and even if I do, I'm not gonna be like "oh boy, got all this money, time to buy a FLASK." It's bad enough that Primeval Force makes me pretend to be one anyway.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Stupid newbie here. I've sort of hit a wall at Cruel Act 4 at level 56. I'm following this archer guide and melting mobs with Lightning Arrow, but bosses are getting to be impossible, my gear is getting weak and I'm dying instantly pretty often now. I'm not sure whether to back up an act or two and level up while looking for better drops, or try to craft/trade something better. I have 5 chaos orbs I could use to trade for something nice but I don't know what to look for exactly, and I don't think I have enough crafting orbs to put something nice together.

Sorry if this is vague. Here's my character:
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/jerkstoresup/characters

The tabula rosa is definitely holding me back from some EV and other stats, but the 6-linked Lightning Arrow is my only strong point right now.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

I will never make that much currency, and even if I do, I'm not gonna be like "oh boy, got all this money, time to buy a FLASK."

my sweet child who has never used a vinktar

that'll change

jerkstoresup posted:

Stupid newbie here. I've sort of hit a wall at Cruel Act 4 at level 56. I'm following this archer guide and melting mobs with Lightning Arrow, but bosses are getting to be impossible, my gear is getting weak and I'm dying instantly pretty often now. I'm not sure whether to back up an act or two and level up while looking for better drops, or try to craft/trade something better. I have 5 chaos orbs I could use to trade for something nice but I don't know what to look for exactly, and I don't think I have enough crafting orbs to put something nice together.

Sorry if this is vague. Here's my character:
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/jerkstoresup/characters

The tabula rosa is definitely holding me back from some EV and other stats, but the 6-linked Lightning Arrow is my only strong point right now.

this profile is set to private

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

PSA: GGG changed how all rounding works. It now actually rounds instead of truncating.

What does this mean? Dying Sun now gives 3 extra projectiles with 25% flask effectiveness instead of requiring 50%. This means you will now be able to get +3 projectiles as non-Pathfinders by taking Alchemist. Also, you no longer need 40% aura effectiveness to get Purity of Fire to +7% max resist for RF builds. It only requires lvl 23 PoF and 30% aura effectiveness, much easier to obtain. Also, elemental flasks now give 8% max res with just Alchemist cluster, rather than 7% from before.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lightning arrow dps started sucking near the end of a4 normal for me so I picked up barrage for bosses and LA for aoe. It helped a lot.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Put LA in a 4 link, and put Barrage or blast rain for single target in your tabula!

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

this profile is set to private

fixed.

I'll give Barrage and Blast Rain a try. Haven't really used any other projectile attacks yet.

What's the cheapest/easiest way to go about finding a 4-link glove, helmet or boot? Here's what my currency stash looks like:

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 8, 2017

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Pay Voirici to do it

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

There's some in the guild stash if you can spare a slot for junk (use a resist or life essence on the item), otherwise buy something good for 1chaos (high Life and resists, your guide will have more specific advice) and like whypick1 said pay Vorici to link it.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

I cannot complete the lab because 1 in 8 loadscreens freezes the game. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

DX9 or DX11 client? People here having been having problems with the DX11 client as of late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

jerkstoresup posted:

Here's what my currency stash looks like:

Oh god, there's something horribly wrong there.

• Locked thread