Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zahgaegun posted:

Bodyweight x 1.5 is a solid squat (204#?) and BWx2 (272#) is always impressive.

My 2xBW squat was not impressive, and it won't be when I stop being a fat injured piece of poo poo and do it again either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

sassassin posted:

Do you plan to stay at that weight?

I've never weighed more than 140, though not for lack of trying. Ideally I'd like to pack on at least ten more pounds.

Zahgaegun posted:

Bodyweight x 1.5 is a solid squat (204#?) and BWx2 (272#) is always impressive.

I wanted to get two 45lb plates on each side eventually, but I like the sound of 205ish as a more immediate goal. Thanks!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Batterypowered7 posted:

I've never weighed more than 140, though not for lack of trying. Ideally I'd like to pack on at least ten more pounds.

The trick is to do it all in one go, three or four weeks of determined eating. I put on a stone the first December after I started lifting.

Your appetite adjusts and you can never lose weight again, no matter how hard you try.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Here http://www.strongerbyscience.com/realistic-training-goals/

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

lol self reporting

quote:

The men training for less than 3 months, on average, benched 85kg (185-190lbs)

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Teikanmi posted:

I know a woman who bought almost $1000 worth of les mills gear just to score 2 tickets to go to one of these weird shows

What a loving idiot that woman is

Someone I work with was going to quit her job so she could move to Las Vegas and "work" for Les Mills in what was totally not a pyramid scheme

Apparently her parents managed to talk her down from this thankfully

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Sounds like you should've let her go, op.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Batterypowered7 posted:

What's a good squatting goal for a short, small man (5'8", 136lb)? I'm currently squatting 185 but I'm always wary of my knees (broken meniscus in both).

Squat more weight until your knees lock. Get meniscus repair. Heal. Squat more.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

CountingCrows posted:

lol self reporting

:shrug: matches my experience and what I've seen in people who train correctly

Just focus on how much monthly progress you can make

Dum Cumpster fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 7, 2017

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

people who train between three and six months squat 300 pounds on average?
Since I know a zillion people who train for six months or more and do NOT squat 300 pounds, there should be at least some who train for less than six months and then squat 400 pounds.

This might be different in the USA where everyone lifts in high school, but here in Europe the average decent squat in my gym is not even 300 pounds, more likely something like 220 pounds.
And lol, people who train between three and six months on _average_ deadlift 365 pounds? I know the people in my gym who deadlift 160kg+ and they are not the majority.

Maybe my gym sucks and everyone in the USA is strong as hell, but then again most people in the USA look fat to me so maybe.

At least my gym has showers tho

Edit: women apparently deadlift on average 140kg if they train for a while
where are these women?

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 7, 2017

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

caps on caps on caps posted:

Since I know a zillion people who train for six months or more and do NOT squat 300 pounds, there should be at least some who train for less than six months and then squat 400 pounds.

This might be different in the USA where everyone lifts in high school, but here in Europe the average decent squat in my gym is not even 300 pounds, more likely something like 220 pounds.
And lol, people who train between three and six months on _average_ deadlift 365 pounds? I know the people in my gym who deadlift 160kg+ and they are not the majority.

Maybe my gym sucks and everyone in the USA is strong as hell, but then again most people in the USA look fat to me so maybe.

The numbers might make sense if you're talking about otherwise fit people who just hadn't performed the relevant lifts before but certainly not for people who start untrained.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

At 6 months my lifts were: squat 265, deadlift 365, bench 175. I was 6'1 230lbs down from 265. I might be over estimating the squat a bit, but I struggled and still kinda do with the squat form/mechanics wise. And yeah I actually pulled and benched that. I hit 315 for 6 at around the 5 month mark. The biggest problem with at 6 months, for me, is my form was still poo poo in all those lifts so while they were my maxes at the time I had decent growth left from just improving technique.

I was untrained and literally coming off of 3 years of bedridden+open heart surgery 3 months prior to lifting. I had to train my rear end off for that bench. My max was like 85-95lbs when I started, and I would stall at 5rms of 80lbs, 95lbs, and everything after. I also was on a caloric deficit the entire time. Untrained to the point of, I couldn't do a push up until 3 months into lifting. I missed around 1 month out of the 6 of deadlifting and around 2-2.5 of squatting due to stupid rear end injuries from outside of the gym.

Kind of like right now, I'm missing almost 3 months of squats/deadlifts due to an injury shoveling snow. I'm god-tier at hurting myself doing everyday poo poo.

I kind of believe lots of people can hit those numbers. Especially with a decent physical background. People with any physical labor job or lots of outdoor activities are going to have a pretty big edge. There are also lots of people who dick around at the gym and count "starting" lifting as when they start a structured powerlifting program. My physical background was pure poo poo, but I technically have decent proportions for most lifts and a large frame for my height which probably closed the gap especially on deadlift.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 7, 2017

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Numbers sound pretty reasonable for people who consistently lift 3+ times a week and eat/sleep correctly. Those are honestly pretty rare though.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

where are these women?

This isn't just anyone who lifts. It's someone who trains with the right program. It's a survey of people who use his programs, which are some of the best out there.

They are numbers to shoot for that are possible with ideal training.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Also are these numbers 5RM or 1RM? That makes a pretty big difference.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

MikeCrotch posted:

They are 1rm. It is also self reporting and people misremember their lifts or exaggerate or discount some prior training. Plus, the people who responded to that survey have a specific interest in powerlifting and are probably taking in good information.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 7, 2017

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

MikeCrotch posted:

Why would they be 5RM?

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
it takes most people forever just to get the mechanics of the deadlift safely down pat lol and yet here they are magically pulling 165kg in a mere few months just lol

where are these women?

they're online and trolling https://www.strongerbyscience.com for lulz

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Yet again goons mad women can out perform them.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Dum Cumpster posted:

Yet again goons mad women can out perform them.

Or just pointing out that those numbers should be taken with a heaping of salt, idk

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

how the gently caress does someone go from untrained to deadlifting nearly 3 plate in 6 months i refuse to believe i am that much weaker than normal

edit: untrained squat of 2 plate??? really????

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
It's almost like it's bullshit... hmmmm.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Those numbers are accurate and fine if you account for a self-selecting population of people who take it seriously. If your ego is bruised by those numbers it's because it should be. You can do better

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Yeah, but advertising it as "look, everyone can do the same" makes it ... bullshit.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Time posted:

Those numbers are accurate and fine if you account for a self-selecting population of people who take it seriously. If your ego is bruised by those numbers it's because it should be. You can do better

bruh i weighed 130 pounds the first time i picked up a barbell lol totally squatting x2 bw immediatly

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Time posted:

Yup

Tolkien minority posted:

how the gently caress does someone go from untrained to deadlifting nearly 3 plate in 6 months i refuse to believe i am that much weaker than normal

As it says right above that he agrees the untrained numbers are high.

On 9/17/2001 I pulled 415 @ 176, about a year into deadlifting with a summer off. I pulled 500 for the first time on 1/28/2002 at 191lbs. All my friends lifting with me were making similar progress.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Tolkien minority posted:

bruh i weighed 130 pounds the first time i picked up a barbell lol totally squatting x2 bw immediatly

You could get up to it in under a year easily. Evidence: the literally dozen people in my gym who do it every year

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Time posted:

You could get up to it in under a year easily. Evidence: the literally dozen people in my gym who do it every year

I did and have, I was referring to the "untrained" 2 plate squat and it took a shitload of time, effort and food to do it.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
of course those numbers are achievable you idiots

the problem is that he surveyed 1800 randos and wrote an article based on the idea that those numbers were the average

may I suggest considering the athletic appearance and prowess of your average gym lifter

lmao

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Tolkien minority posted:

I did and have, I was referring to the "untrained" 2 plate squat and it took a shitload of time, effort and food to do it.

The guy points out too that he massaged the data to remove people who noticeably responded in incorrect units, and presents the data on a website where I believe he is also selling fitness products. I'm not sure there is a redder flag that statistics should not be trusted short of admitting that you invented them.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tolkien minority posted:

It varies on weight and stuff. Like, if my heart weren't so poo poo I could have deadlifted 225 for 5 on my first day untrained. I squatted 185 for 5 and that was a literal max at the time. It was also probably not to legal depth. Bench was just 75 for 5, ohp 55 for 5.

Eldred posted:

The guy points out too that he massaged the data to remove people who noticeably responded in incorrect units, and presents the data on a website where I believe he is also selling fitness products. I'm not sure there is a redder flag that statistics should not be trusted short of admitting that you invented them.
Nuckols isn't selling that much. That's strengtheory's new site with a far worse name. Nothing he sells benefits from that article. All of his content is free pretty much. He has loads of great info backed by actual research available for free.

I agree it isn't "average". But if you look at most people at the gym do they actually train? I've seen pretty much no one on a decent program except one guy who only shows up once every two weeks.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 8, 2017

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Khorne posted:

Nothing he sells benefits from that article.

Dum Cumpster posted:

It's a survey of people who use his programs

:v:

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

You're not very smart.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
lol you can't even argue in good faith. just ad hominem bullshit

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
How would results his clients got before becoming his clients help his sales?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Dum Cumpster posted:

It doesn't say the survey was from before they were his clients, unless he describes the survey methodology elsewhere.

For what it's worth I'm not attacking you man, I've always liked your TFLC threads. I'm just not sure I trust this article on face value.

quote:

Last year, I sent out a survey (which I still need to finish analyzing; I haven’t forgotten about it guys!) to get some normative data to work with. More than 1,800 people responded, so it’s a very robust data set. One drawback is that some people reported their lifts in pounds when the survey specifically asked for kilos, but they were a very small minority, and I’ve spent a lot of time combing through all the answers and removing or editing all instances where the units were definitely wrong or very likely wrong.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Dum Cumpster posted:

It doesn't, if that's the case. But he can theoretically publish a bunch of numbers in an article to attract new clientele, right?

I generally like Greg Nuckols and his website and tbh I doubt this is actually a sales pitch article. That said,

Greg Nuckols is outta his goddamn mind posted:

The difference in strength per month of training (not exactly rates of progress since these data were cross-sectional, but probably a good proxy) seem about right based on what I’ve seen from people who manage their own training, but they’re considerably smaller than you could expect if you hired a competent coach early in your lifting career.

just lmao. really dude?

:psyduck: In any case this is in no way shape or form a controlled study, and there's no method to determine the reliability of the results.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Yeah, we probably need a peer reviewed study to show that having someone that knows what they're doing helping you from the start will make you better at something.

Eldred posted:

It doesn't say the survey was from before they were his clients, unless he describes the survey methodology elsewhere.

For what it's worth I'm not attacking you man, I've always liked your TFLC threads. I'm just not sure I trust this article on face value.

I'm asking how can he be responsible for what someone who's been lifting for 10 years said they lifted in their first year of lifting? He hasn't been a coach that long.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Dum Cumpster posted:

Yeah, we probably need a peer reviewed study to show that having someone that knows what they're doing helping you from the start will make you better at something.

uhh that's not my point. He's implying that the average rate of progress across the board seems low to him.

"What these slacker chicks that DL 140kg on the reg need is a coach!" just lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
*hired early in their career