Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
"Please don't tell my wife."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

i just noticed the blair picture lol

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

"Graun posted:

Leading homelessness charities whose remit is to protect vulnerable rough sleepers have been passing information about some of them to the Home Office, leading to their removal from the UK.

A report from Corporate Watch, The Round Up, reveals concerns about homelessness charities’ links to immigration enforcement and comes at a time of increasing disquiet about the involvement of landlords, schools and the NHS with immigration enforcement.
:whitewater:

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Namtab posted:

I kinda feel like you took the criticism a little personally, you shouldn't.
Nah, 's cool. It's a good reminder that not everyone shares my perspective and I shouldn't assume I've reached ~the correct view~.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

The 'surge in membership' has been an objectively bad thing for labour.

The surge in membership has made Labour the richest party in the U.K.. How's that a bad thing?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

The surge in membership has made Labour the richest party in the U.K.. How's that a bad thing?
Brilliant, maybe they'll be able to afford to hire Corey Lewandowski or some other cast-off American political advisor to help them into the electoral abyss.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Darth Walrus posted:

It's lumbered then with a leadership team that is toxic to the wider voting public.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Step one for Labour success: get the voting age down to 16

Step two for Labour success: use its otherwise toxic wealth to offer young'uns a tenner to vote for them if they snapchat them their ballot paper

Step three: rule over our sceptred isles, increase corporation tax 1% and use the extra take to do it again next time.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/budget-day-nonsense.html

quote:

For the last several budgets/autumn statements I have agreed to write an immediate response for some media outlet, and have therefore felt obliged to watch either the speech itself, or the media reports on the day. The good news is that no one has asked this year, and so I can ignore all budget coverage until tomorrow. This will leave me better off, because in macroeconomic terms most budget day coverage has over the last seven years been largely nonsense.

I can confidently forecast that today you will hear a great deal, at great length, about how the path of government borrowing has changed since the Autumn Statement. Journalists will ask endlessly whether he has done enough to reduce borrowing, or whether he had enough money to spend more. At the moment this is all utterly meaningless. In fact it is worse than that. It encourages people to think that government budgeting is just like household budgeting. It is, to be blunt, what gave us the disaster that was austerity.

What any macroeconomist should ask of this budget is has the Chancellor done enough to get UK interest rates off the zero lower bound: to get us out of what economists call a liquidity trap. When interest rates have gone as low as the Bank of England feels able to take them, then it has lost control of the economy. That is the situation right now. The only duty of the Chancellor in that situation is to give the Bank back control through a fiscal stimulus. [1] If he does do that the short term deficit and borrowing numbers that go with that stimulus are completely irrelevant. If he does not do that his budget has failed.

That is basic macroeconomics. But you will not hear any macroeconomics from the Chancellor, or most of the mainstream media. The idea that the Bank does macroeconomic stabilisation and the Chancellor does bookkeeping has become embedded in mediamacro, and even seven years in a liquidity trap has not been able to change this. Alas even the IFS, which is so brilliant at everything else, does not do macro and so reinforces the household budgeting metaphor.

Mediamacro will also spend hours talking about the OBR forecasts for this year and next. This too is pointless. I am sure the OBR will do what it normally does, which is put together a short term forecast that is not far from the average of other forecasters. To their great credit, they also forecast GDP per capita. It will be interesting to see who in the media picks that up. No doubt Brexiteers will go on about how great the economy has been in 2016 despite all the gloomy forecasts. There is a simple anecdote to this, which any journalist can apply. Note that a great deal of the growth in GDP in 2016 was due to immigration, the same immigration that the Prime Minister has said was the cause of the Leave vote. [2]

What the better journalists focus on from the OBR is its forecast of where trend output is and how fast this trend will grow in the future. That is the only thing that will influence how much the Chancellor thinks he can borrow in future years. It is the only forecast that matters for future budgets, and as I have already noted it should have no influence on the current budget. Note particularly how the OBR has had to adjust its forecasts for future growth and tax receipts as a result of Brexit. (On this, see some good analysis by IPPR’s Catherine Colebrook.)

Of course the individual measures the Chancellor announces (either in his speech or elsewhere) are important. But even here a day’s reflection is useful, to deconstruct the spin and put the measures in context. (Once again, the OBR’s document can be very useful in that respect.) For pretty well anything the Chancellor does on the spending side, one important context is the extent to which he is just reversing the cuts his predecessor ordered. This is why the IFS wisely waits a day before presenting its post-budget analysis.

What I hate most about budget days nowadays is the constant repetition by government politicians, echoed by mediamacro, about not being able to afford improvements to public services. The reality, the detail of which Polly Toynbee sets out clearly, is that this government has managed to cut plenty of taxes which seem to have been affordable. But there is a deeper concern.

As I showed in this post, the performance of the economy since 2010 has been terrible. There has been no recovery, using the proper meaning of the word, from the Great Recession. All this time the Bank has been forced to keep interest rates at or near their floor, and use incredibly inefficient instruments like QE, because the government has kept on cutting spending. It is not normal to cut spending in what should be a recovery phase of the business cycle: at least not normal since the mistakes of the 1920s and 1930s.

In the years immediately following 2010 the government could claim its austerity policies were the international consensus, but no longer. In the Eurozone outside Greece austerity has come to an end and their recovery is gathering pace. In the US the central bank, for better or worse, is raising rates. Only in the UK does austerity continue and the economy continues to stagnate. Which is why I’m glad I do not have to watch lots of people completely ignoring all these points today.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Darth Walrus posted:

how are you defining richest? the last quarter's published declarations had Labour drop to 3rd behind the Lib Dems in total donations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Cerv posted:

how are you defining richest? the last quarter's published declarations had Labour drop to 3rd behind the Lib Dems in total donations.

Labour gets the majority of its money from the size of its membership and the fact that Labour party membership is more expensive than others, not from donations.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

MikeCrotch posted:

Labour gets the majority of its money from the size of its membership

Do you have evidence to support this claim?

The latest accounts I could find for labour

http://search.electoralcommission.org.uk/English/Accounts/ST0013244

Showed that membership earnings accounted for about 20% of labour's income. Donations were double this at 40%.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 8, 2017

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Talking about the size of memberships eh? Want to see mine? It's rather large!

*wiggles eyebrows suggestively*

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
http://news.sky.com/story/eu-may-demand-83642bn-from-uk-after-customs-fraud-investigation-10794571

quote:

The UK is facing a potentially damaging row with Brussels as it prepares for Brexit, as EU fraud investigators recommend the country pay €2bn (£1.7bn) to cover alleged customs failures related to Chinese imports.
The bloc's anti-fraud office, known as OLAF, said it believed the EU's budget was owed the money to cover the cost of duties lost when the UK failed to tackle a widespread, and deliberate, undervaluation of goods.
Its inquiry found that fraudsters evaded customs duties by using false invoices and incorrect customs value declarations between 2013 and 2016.
OLAF claimed that while several other EU member states took action to combat the fraud, the UK continued to ignore the problem.

I look forward to the Mail pissing and moaning about this.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Darth Walrus posted:

That's kinda obviously not his point (his point is that he hates the new members). But Labour was already the richest party in 2014, anyway

http://www.electoralcommission.org....ties-published4

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I would assume a "suck ya mum" counterpoint.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Today's the 100th anniversary of the start of the February Revolution. Workers from the Putilov factory in Petrograd (the largest in the city & a key industry providing artillery for the war) joined women celebrating International Women's Day & people upset at the new food rationing ended up flooding the streets demanding an end to rationing, to the war & the autocracy. When other workers from other factories joined in, 50,000 were on the streets. The following day, that number quadrupled. By March 10th, almost every factory in the city was closed by striking workers, 250,000 people taking the streets. By the 12th the Petrograd Soviet came into being, successor to the 1905 St Petersburg Soviet & the Central Workers' Group formed by the Mensheviks in 1915. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Anyway, roll on the budget, how crippling depressing it will be, how feeble & disorganised & shambolic the Labour response is and all the rest. Business as usual in British politics.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wonder how much of that is deliberate large scale business fraud and how much is the cumulative effect of 3/4 of Chinese eBay/AliExpress/DX sellers valuing everything at $5 on the form.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder how much of that is deliberate large scale business fraud and how much is the cumulative effect of 3/4 of Chinese eBay/AliExpress/DX sellers valuing everything at $5.
"Who cares, give us our 2 billion euros"

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Japanese anime is literally degenerate art and I would support any candidate from any party who had a workable plan to outlaw it and keep it off our shores.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Darth Walrus posted:

Fat lot of good it's doing them. If anything the failure to get results with such rich resources is an even more damning indictment of the dear leader.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/youngvulgarian/status/839450026254413824

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Sorry everyone Imgur is awful now and getting the image URL is apparently not something they want you to do in their app

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 8, 2017

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

she's trying to shed her human skin

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

penguin tryin ta gulp down a fish

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I thought this was a loop of only a couple frames at first.

It's not :stare:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

an actual guffaw

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pissflaps posted:

Sorry everyone Imgur is awful now and getting the image URL is apparently not something they want you to do in their app
What was it supposed to be?

I tried looking it up by URI and got this:

Is it this?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That's the one.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Brutal

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/839457824665190400

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
More corporation tax cuts. That'll help cut that deficit Phil

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

hakimashou posted:

Fat lot of good it's doing them. If anything the failure to get results with such rich resources is an even more damning indictment of the dear leader.

Labour is in a peculiar situation right now. It's rich as hell, and also broke as hell. See, it comes down to the division between national and local. The central party is in a better situation than it's been in in years, which means that it's a net benefit rather than a net drain for the local parties. The problem is that there's a lot of local parties, and local membership fees plus central party stipends only make up a small part of their finances. The rest is from fundraising campaigns, which are the fastest way to regenerate your funds after a period of heavy expenditure. Local parties have been through a period of extremely heavy expenditure. The general election, first leadership campaign, local government election campaign, and EU referendum campaign completely exhausted their coffers - for instance, it was a considerable surprise that the Labour candidate for Avon and Somerset PCC managed as close a second place as he did, because thanks to the campaigns for the referendum and the other local government posts, he ran with literally zero campaign budget. The plan was to go back into some heavy-duty fundraising once the dust settled from Brexit, and start reaching out to the new arrivals from the leadership election, getting them used to the attending meetings and learning the inner workings of the party.

Then the morons in the PLP launched their coup and - this is the important bit - shut down all CLP activity for the next three months, paralysing them as their chances to secure money and members trickled away into the ether. It was a tremendous blow, and one they're still trying to recover from. It also means that if a snap election happens, Labour will be at an enormous financial and organisational disadvantage - you need tens of thousands of pounds to run a serious general election campaign in your constituency, and our CLP's budget is barely over a thousand, and it's still only just starting to spin up its member induction campaign.

Source: a chat with the CLP treasurer at our last local meeting. Seriously, truly attending some. The local officers have had it up to here with the PLP's poo poo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

quote:

Hammond says he wants taxes to be fair.

That means people have to pay what is due.

He says a series of measures will raise an extra £820m over the forecast period.

He says the top 1% of income tax payers pay 27% of all income tax - a higher proportion than under Labour.

But there has to be fairness amongst individuals, he says.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/839463343513550849

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/839463877993721856

Banteller of the Exchequer.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Today's the 100th anniversary of the start of the February Revolution. Workers from the Putilov factory in Petrograd (the largest in the city & a key industry providing artillery for the war) joined women celebrating International Women's Day & people upset at the new food rationing ended up flooding the streets demanding an end to rationing, to the war & the autocracy. When other workers from other factories joined in, 50,000 were on the streets. The following day, that number quadrupled. By March 10th, almost every factory in the city was closed by striking workers, 250,000 people taking the streets. By the 12th the Petrograd Soviet came into being, successor to the 1905 St Petersburg Soviet & the Central Workers' Group formed by the Mensheviks in 1915. And the rest, as they say, is the Bolsheviks repressing and betraying the worker's revolution in order to effect a brutal dictatorship
:trotsay: but also for real

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Oberleutnant posted:

:trotsay: but also for real

True that.

Still listen miserable than reading about the Budget, at least there was a year or so of hope after the February Revolution. Going to have nightmares about that video of May guffawing.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 8, 2017

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

This is great

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

What's great about it ?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Flattered that Phil not only lurks this thread but rips off my jokes in it too

Adbot