Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

I think Y/B is a fine control scheme if only because it's analogous to what most other melee action games do: left button for melee, lower button for some sort of mobility (though it's usually jumping). That part's fine, and I usually get tripped up when Zelda games tend to use something other than Y (the left button) for swinging the sword.

The problem is the position of sprinting and jumping buttons and the fact that how well the control scheme works for you is going to depend a lot on whether you're using a Wii U or Switch controller layout. For example, having jump on X (the top button) is fine on the Wii U, because your thumb is probably resting close to there or on the right stick anyway, but it's going to be a lot more awkward on the Switch. Luckily you can flip that, but now your sprint button is out-of-the-way, and that's true on the Wii U anyway. And I can imagine that the Y/B scheme is more natural on the Switch controller because it's got a layout like the Xbox controller, but it works fine for me on the Wii U, at least on the Pro Controller.

I kind of wish they'd have put sprinting on left stick click like a lot of other games and found somewhere else to put crouching so that you could sprint-jump, but at the same time, sprint-jumping at least doesn't matter all that much in this (at least in my experience so far).

Yeah I really meant X/B. Y for attack is fine, but having run and jump be opposite buttons is bad bad bad. The problem is they really have too many function for 4 buttons, and should have either loaded up two on one using context, or otherwise put one of those actions (confirm/pickup, run, jump, attack) somewhere else than X because they're all too important.

The easiest answer would probably be to make the run button the "pickup item" button if you're standing still. Then you could have B be run/pickup, Y as attack, and A as jump. That'd be more comfortable.

Or yeah, put sprint on left stick or anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ice Fist posted:

I have gotten blood moons at the worst loving times. It never fails. I killed the Lynel by Zora's Domain and it IMMEDIATELY respawned.

Lemming posted:

I was doing a shrine quest and you need to kill a Hynox and get a sphere from him and dump it in a hole, a blood moon stole the sphere out of my hands :|

They really need to patch in something where it doesn't respawn enemies that you killed in the last minute, or where enemies within 10ft of you don't respawn or something. Because yeah, this is ridiculous.

Great game overall just a few quirks.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Harrow posted:

So what are you actually supposed to do with the glowing blue rabbit guys? Is it possible to sneak up and grab them, or are you supposed to shoot them, or what?

Also why the hell can't you keep the Lord of the Mountain? C'mon, give me a sweet mount!

As best I can tell the more times you can hit them the more money they drop. My best guess on the optimal way to do this is to use a polearm, sneak up close in long grass, and stab as fast as possible. As best I've been able to tell there isn't another good way to hit them a lot of times because they run away so quickly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Also why the hell can't you keep the Lord of the Mountain? C'mon, give me a sweet mount!

I've said it before, I'll pay money for a DLC animal stables that lets me keep deer or bears or the lord of the mountain.

Like its really cool that they let you ride those things and its really rewarding to mount them, but then having them be purely temporary ruins it. Its not worth the effort. Nobody is going to steal a deer just to ride to a shrine or something, so it ends up being a novelty you do once and never again. (Other than for a certain shrine)

As other people have said, in this game with all the mountains and stuff, horses are barely even useful. Its not like letting you keep a deer or a bear would be game-breakingly OP in ANY way. So why, Nintendo? Comeon :smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I really meant X/B. Y for attack is fine, but having run and jump be opposite buttons is bad bad bad. The problem is they really have too many function for 4 buttons, and should have either loaded up two on one using context, or otherwise put one of those actions (confirm/pickup, run, jump, attack) somewhere else than X because they're all too important.

The easiest answer would probably be to make the run button the "pickup item" button if you're standing still. Then you could have B be run/pickup, Y as attack, and A as jump. That'd be more comfortable.

Or yeah, put sprint on left stick or anywhere else.

I can sort of see some of the issue they had with the control scheme because there are a lot of things you can do independent of context and only so many buttons you can put them on. But what I wonder is whether certain things really required their own dedicated buttons, like whistling for your horse or throwing your weapon.

What if these things changed:
  • Down on the d-pad is now an item quickslot. It works differently than how quick slots work for weapons, shields, bows, ammo, and runes, though. If you hold down, you can scroll through your "quick pouch" of items like you do with weapons and stuff, and press A to use something that's in there. If you just tap down, you quickly use whatever's in the first slot. The horse whistle can be an item.
  • Left stick click toggles sprint.
  • Jump/dodge goes on X or B depending on your preferences like it does now.
  • Crouch goes on whichever of X or B isn't jump.
Alternatively, you could make down on the d-pad an item quickslot that works exactly like the weapon/shield/etc. ones do, then have "use item" be X/B (whichever isn't jump), stick crouch on right stick click, use R for the Sheikah Slate scope, and find some other way to integrate throwing your weapon, like hitting Y while you're holding RZ or something.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What is the deal with blood moons anyways? It doesn't seem like there any set amount of time apart. I had a blood moon go off, and then about an ingame day later there was another. And no joke, 30 seconds after that blood moon another started. I have no clue what determines when they are going to occur.

Zaphod42 posted:

As other people have said, in this game with all the mountains and stuff, horses are barely even useful. Its not like letting you keep a deer or a bear would be game-breakingly OP in ANY way. So why, Nintendo? Comeon :smith:

Horses would be more useful if you didn't have to fetch them from a stable anytime they go more than 50 feet from you. That way I could cross a mountain range on foot and then whistle my horse and keep riding. I know the game says they're not magic but come on.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Horses would be more useful if you didn't have to fetch them from a stable anytime they go more than 50 feet from you. That way I could cross a mountain range on foot and then whistle my horse and keep riding. I know the game says they're not magic but come on.

Let me attach a little bit of Sheikah tech to the saddle that lets me teleport the horse to me with my slate, the same way the slate lets me teleport to shrines/towers. Done.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Thank god there isn't weapon repairing, also no weapon crafting poo poo. It's like the Dead Rising disposable weapons stuff done right.

This seems like it will be a good game for gimmick runs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Harrow posted:

Let me attach a little bit of Sheikah tech to the saddle that lets me teleport the horse to me with my slate, the same way the slate lets me teleport to shrines/towers. Done.

Alternatively let me stick an octoballoon onto my horse and float it over the mountain that way.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Holy crap. I just figured out that if you try to throw the Master Sword when you're at full health, you get sword beams. Sword beams. :neckbeard:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Alternatively let me stick an octoballoon onto my horse and float it over the mountain that way.

The Big Boss approach, I dig it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Come on Nintendo, I've bought your stupid DLC aimed at children toy, at least give me the exclusive things it has to offer right off the bat and then the random items. I'm save scumming the amiibo drops because lord knows I need to look like classic, Zelda 1 Link.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I took down my first Guardian earlier. Learning the timing for the beam parries cost me a shield or two, but I got the bastard. They're not as scary as they seem.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Harrow posted:

The Big Boss approach, I dig it
Octofulton tech would make this game a solid 20/10, ruining all future games forever by comparison. Hopping off of my horse to sneak up on a Bokoblin camp and murder everyone (until the next bloodmoon) while looting the place for ammo and gems already reminds me of MGS5 in the best ways.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Echophonic posted:

I took down my first Guardian earlier. Learning the timing for the beam parries cost me a shield or two, but I got the bastard. They're not as scary as they seem.

The only one I have had trouble with was Thunderblight The others died within a minute with Bomb or Electric arrows.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
holy poo poo gently caress the yiga clan hideout stealth thing gently caress it tohell

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

my new dog posted:

holy poo poo gently caress the yiga clan hideout stealth thing gently caress it tohell

Use bananas you dingus

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
On the weapons and stuff what does XX > XX mean? Is it durability and attack power?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Waltzing Along posted:

On the weapons and stuff what does XX > XX mean? Is it durability and attack power?

Its just comparing the attack power of your equipped weapon to the one on the ground.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Waltzing Along posted:

It's comparing the old value to the new value for different items.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

It's comparing the attack power of what you currently have equipped (left) with the one you have selected (right).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Thanks.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah, you can have 3 full rings of Stamina or 30 Hearts.

They're slightly exclusive as even with all shrines you only have enough for 30 upgrades (+4 hearts from the dungeons) so you can get 27 Hearts/full Stamina or 30 hearts/ 2 2/5 of a bar of stamina.

Thanks! I probably would've hit the stamina wall sooner rather than later, but it's nice to know doing so wouldn't majorly screw my heart total.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I just met Robbie.

POWERCHORD!

I thought I loved this game too much already, but it keeps giving me reasons to love it more....

Harrow posted:

Wolf Link teleports to you when you've climbed somewhere he can't, so the mechanic's there already. Just have a Horse Call rune.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

s.i.r.e. posted:

Come on Nintendo, I've bought your stupid DLC aimed at children toy, at least give me the exclusive things it has to offer right off the bat and then the random items. I'm save scumming the amiibo drops because lord knows I need to look like classic, Zelda 1 Link.

I dunno, I just see them as little plastic statues that happen to do things in games sometimes. If I saw them as physical DLC I'd be driven to drink.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

my new dog posted:

Agreed but this is why god invented bombs and bomb arrows

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I hated Robbie and his chord

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
A couple Zelda questions: Forgive me, I'm playing in fits and starts because other games on other systems, and dad stuff...

1) Should I be able to cook already? I'm making my way to the 4th Shrine and I notice on my way there I found hot peppers that make recipes that warm me up... but I've seen no mention of cooking. I have torches. I have food. I can sit and pass time at fires. But do I need to do more to cook??

2) It may just be the system is what it is, but should my weapons be breaking, oftentimes after only using them for 2 or 3 hits??

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Having issues early in the storyline - so I made it to Zora's domain and I have to go kill that Lyonel. I read somewhere online that you don't actually have to kill it, but whatever, I'd really rather kill it if it's reasonably possible. This thing has probably killed me a dozen times and I'm sorta losing my patience. When you guys killed this thing, what was your life meter at? I have five hearts. Did you use elixirs to up your defense and damage? Is it just a matter of trial and error to try to time the flurries right or what?

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Feenix posted:

A couple Zelda questions: Forgive me, I'm playing in fits and starts because other games on other systems, and dad stuff...

1) Should I be able to cook already? I'm making my way to the 4th Shrine and I notice on my way there I found hot peppers that make recipes that warm me up... but I've seen no mention of cooking. I have torches. I have food. I can sit and pass time at fires. But do I need to do more to cook??

2) It may just be the system is what it is, but should my weapons be breaking, oftentimes after only using them for 2 or 3 hits??

1.) Yes! You can cook. You need to hold 1-5 (really 2-5) ingredients out in your hand at the same time from the menu, then use them on a cooking fire - one with a pot on it.
2.) Give or take. A lot of the weapons and shields early on are junk and break p. quick. Throw your nearly broken weapon in some idiot's face for some neat extra damage, and keep picking up weapons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Feenix posted:

1) You can cook immediately though it isn't explained well until later. Go i to your inventory and press x to hold an ingrediant. You can hold up to 5 things at a time. If you're in front of a cooking pot you just press a to dump all the stuff you're holding in when you exit the menu. There are a few scattered around the plateau.

2) Yeah, early weapons and Bokoblin stuff is fragile as hell. You'll pick up better weapons pretty quick after you leave the plateau.

Seaniqua posted:

Having issues early in the storyline - so I made it to Zora's domain and I have to go kill that Lyonel. I read somewhere online that you don't actually have to kill it, but whatever, I'd really rather kill it if it's reasonably possible. This thing has probably killed me a dozen times and I'm sorta losing my patience. When you guys killed this thing, what was your life meter at? I have five hearts. Did you use elixirs to up your defense and damage? Is it just a matter of trial and error to try to time the flurries right or what?
Honestly it isn't worth it if you're rocking 5 hearts and early game weapons. Like I had consistent issues with them until I could upgrade my armor to level 3.

If you really want to do it; stay in melee, eat for attack (because any of its attacks are going to put you into your sympathy 1/4 heart anyways with the def you have available) and dodge backflip a lot. Also get good at aiming for its face with the bow when its charging as that'll stun it, but don't get into an archery duel or it will murder the gently caress out of you.

But seriously just grab the arrows and kill it later when you have better weapons, armor and health

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 9, 2017

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Feenix posted:

1) you gotta find a fire with a cooking pot on top of it. You 'll occasionally find ones with no fire, just light a fire underneath it (with various methods) and then you can cook. The way you do this isn't made super obvious at first, but if you go into your inventory and select a food item you will get the option to "eat" or "hold", choose "hold" and then choose another food item to combine with it. Leave the inventory menu, and you'll have the option to "cook" if you're standing in front of the cooking pot, or "drop" if you are not.

2) yes. Just keep picking up enemy weapons. This is intended, and while it seems strange now you'll get used to it because of how many weapons are constantly given to you.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Seaniqua posted:

Just go buy some lightning arrows. Other towns have them for sale. That's also late in the storyline for me.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So having around 20 hours under my belt, I still have yet to tacking a single boss. With that said I still find myself in the compulsion not to open chests because if its a piece of gear, I'm almost certain to find something better. I mean I can always go find a lizalfos and pick up something that will do 20-30 damage. Even with what I just said, I shouldn't be caring about what I pick up then, but I just can't. Help!

Also, is there a recommended order in which to tackle the dungeons? I went to Zora's Domain first and the enemies there seemed fine for the most part but I haven't even tackled Death Mountain or any of the western zones.

And when do you start using the ore for anything?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Take the bosses however you like them. They all have the same difficulty and die fast with the elemental arrows (that usually end up being a part of the quest.)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So having around 20 hours under my belt, I still have yet to tacking a single boss. With that said I still find myself in the compulsion not to open chests because if its a piece of gear, I'm almost certain to find something better. I mean I can always go find a lizalfos and pick up something that will do 20-30 damage. Even with what I just said, I shouldn't be caring about what I pick up then, but I just can't. Help!

Also, is there a recommended order in which to tackle the dungeons? I went to Zora's Domain first and the enemies there seemed fine for the most part but I haven't even tackled Death Mountain or any of the western zones.

And when do you start using the ore for anything?

Personally I'd do the dungeons

Zora->Rito->Gerudo->Goron

Zora is by far the easiest and doesn't require any hot/cold protection. Rito needs some cold but sells a full set of cheap armor that gives it to you. Gerudo needs both hot and cold and has a much longer unlock sidequest and the enemies in the desert are generally tougher. Goron last because you need to chug special potions or buy a really expensive armor to not burst into flames and late game you'll be rolling in rupees.

Gerudo has by far the hardest boss and Goron the easiest with the other two in between if that matters.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is the Champion's Tunic the only way to see enemy HP numbers?

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Goron was the hardest for me so far because I'm dumb and didn't realize you could throw the bomb into him in the second phase until the dude told me. Bomb arrows exploded upon drawing so I thought regular bombs did the same! :shobon: Still need to do Gerudo.

Also, found out something neat about Kass the bard! If you find him at Washa's Bluff he has a diary that tells you all the locations he'll show up with something hidden.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are some of the armor sets just meant to be used as pieces?

Some sets like Zora, Climbing, Barbarian etc. are obvious since their bonuses stack, but what about armor that makes you fireproof, cold resistant etc.? Are there places cold/hot enough that you need to stack 3 resists? And isn't fireproof just a "yes/no" status?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Count me in the camping forever for a blood moon crew