Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

More Thor photos:

55 years and 17 movies in, they finally remembered Thor was a redhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hodgepodge posted:

You don't have a kid, I see.

In the context of superheroes, as well as kaiju, etc, toys 100% are the vehicles of mythology in our society.

yeah, if the toy was just a random toy, then the point would be valid, but it's specifically a toy of the protagonist, carried by a character who idolizes the protagonist. it's intended to represent the character living on in myth.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

And I mean, she quotes a monologue from a cheesy western movie, too. The writers couldn't even come up with something original for her to say? So hackneyed. Really takes away from the supposedly good writing of this kid's movie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Been seeing some speculation that the big tentacle monster in Guardians 2 is a Many-Angled One. I guess if Marvel wants to keep escalating after Infinity War, Shuma-Gorath is a fine choice of next mega-villain.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Shuma Gorath would make a good Strange villain. MYSTIC STARE! CHAOS DIMENSION!

I mean...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
They have not so subtly hinted that there will be a Dr. Strange 2 and that the villains will be Mordo and Nightmare.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gatts posted:

Shuma Gorath would make a good Strange villain. MYSTIC STARE! CHAOS DIMENSION!

I mean...

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite is coming out this year...I have a feeling the characters we see in it might give us a hint toward what's in store for the MCU.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Why does Hela look like rebooted Rita Repulsa with a better design?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I'm super broke brained and my brain just only now put together that the actress in the picture is Cate Blanchett. She looks amazing. (I've also had a crush on Cate Blanchett since she was Galadriel.)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

LesterGroans posted:

I'm into Bangarang Thor.

RU! FI! OH!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shneak posted:

Why does Hela look like rebooted Rita Repulsa with a better design?

That reminds of when the reboot Rita Repulsa design came out and people were like "why is she an MCU character." :laffo:

Hela's had a lot of different looks in the comics but the general black with green trim thing is pretty standard for the character. Often it's drawn so that the black parts of the costume blend in with the Hellish/dark surroundings they have her emerge from, which makes me wonder if in the final movie they'll have some kind of aura around her or something like the bad guys having black hole eyes in Dr. Strange.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

So I'm super broke brained and my brain just only now put together that the actress in the picture is Cate Blanchett. She looks amazing. (I've also had a crush on Cate Blanchett since she was Galadriel.)

If only the magazine editors did something to make it more obvious it was her.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Dave posted:

Whoa now, defending Entertainment Weekly is a pretty drastic step here.

Actually, props to Entertainment Weekly. I didn't think it was possible to make yellow on blue blend in so well.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The Dave posted:

To be fair, I never really read this thread, I only look at pictures.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
They already showed that Hela's ridiculous helmet is going to be in the movie at some point, do that'll be exciting.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Are those scars on Thor's head or did he join a prison gang and take down three members of the Latin Kings?

I had to google to double check how old Cate Blanchette is because she looks 22 in that hair and makeup.

Cate Blanchett is aging backwards and becoming better looking as she approaches fifty. She's the lady Australian version of Bruce Springsteen.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snowman_McK posted:

Cate Blanchett is aging backwards and becoming better looking as she approaches fifty. She's the lady Australian version of Bruce Springsteen.

The dramatic acting version of Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah, if the toy was just a random toy, then the point would be valid, but it's specifically a toy of the protagonist, carried by a character who idolizes the protagonist. it's intended to represent the character living on in myth.

Hahaha no. Myth and play are different things, it's as simple as that.

Characters in Logan repeatedly talk about childhoods, like Xavier mentioning how he saw Shane in theatres or Pierce reading about Caliban as a kid. It's a movie appealing to sentimental nostalgia. The kid mournfully holding the action figure stands in for the audience. It really is that silly.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Hahaha no. Myth and play are different things, it's as simple as that.

Characters in Logan repeatedly talk about childhoods, like Xavier mentioning how he saw Shane in theatres or Pierce reading about Caliban as a kid. It's a movie appealing to sentimental nostalgia. The kid mournfully holding the action figure stands in for the audience. It really is that silly.

You say "it's as simple as that" instead of arguing for your position.

You're wrong, it's as simple as that.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hodgepodge posted:

You say "it's as simple as that" instead of arguing for your position.

You're wrong, it's as simple as that.

Myth and play are two very different things. Myth is a collectively produced narrative to explain important figures and events, play is voluntary activity for pleasure often practiced by children.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Myth and play are two very different things. Myth is a collectively produced narrative to explain important figures and events, play is voluntary activity for pleasure often practiced by children.

And who they choose to play as is pretty loving important, and there's often a strong correlation, or even a direct causation between the commonly chosen characters and the collective cultural myths, like cowboys and indians or cops and robbers. Or loving comic book characters.

If you keep pretending there's this completely insoluble barrier between the two, and no link between the two, on even a mild level, you're just kind of being a dick.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

This distinction, and like your thoughts on it, is superficial.

Carl Jung posted:

The dynamic principle of fantasy is play, a characteristic also of the child, and as such it appears inconsistent with the principle of serious work. But without this playing with fantasy no creative work has ever yet come to birth. The debt we owe to the play of imagination is incalculable. It is therefore short-sighted to treat fantasy, on account of its risky or unacceptable nature, as a thing of little worth.

Myths are stories we tell, often to children, which allow us to imagine the world.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 9, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
poo poo, people play as cowboys as a kid, grow up and make art about how the end of the old west is a perfect symbol of our growth and change as an individual and as a culture, wondering what is lost and what is gained. Basically, if little kids hadn't run around going 'bang, got you' we wouldn't have Unforgiven.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hodgepodge posted:

This distinction, and like your thoughts on it, is superficial.

That quote is saying that play is based on fantasy, not that there's only a superficial distinction between myth and play. Logan references play - the children are forbidden from having a halloween party, Laura plays with a rubber ball and gets on a kiddie ride, the heroes are explicitly comic book figures. There's little anything in the movie with mythic quality to it, instead there's a sense of how banal and meaningless life in this world is. It actively inhibits myth, really. For example, when the evil corporate mastermind shows up, he blandly explains that the extinction of mutants was the result of GMO food instead of any apocalypse.

A mythic comic book movie would be something like 300.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 9, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

That quote is saying that play is based on fantasy, not that there's only a superficial distinction between myth and play. Logan references play - the children are forbidden from having a halloween party, Laura gets on a kiddie ride. There's little anything in the movie with mythic quality to it, instead there's a sense of how banal and meaningless life in this world is. It actively inhibits myth, really. For example, when the evil corporate mastermind shows up, he blandly explains that the extinction of mutants was the result of GMO food instead of any apocalypse.

Well, you're wrong. That's a ridiculously limited view of what a mythic movie could be. poo poo, Pale Rider is absolutely a mythic movie, in which Clint Eastwood plays a version of his familiar character, but the movie knows how familiar and how significant the character is. And then Unforgiven is the same concept taken much further.

gently caress, Unforgiven is so good. Why couldn't that version of Eastwood have directed American Sniper? The limitations of linear time notwithstanding.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Snowman_McK posted:

Well, you're wrong. That's a ridiculously limited view of what a mythic movie could be.

You're imagining things. I specifically wrote "mythic comic book movie" and not "mythic movie". Logan is not a mythic comic book movie, in fact it's almost not a comic book movie, which is something that people have observed in it and praised it for. It's also not a mythic movie.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

That quote is saying that play is based on fantasy, not that there's only a superficial distinction between myth and play. Logan references play - the children are forbidden from having a halloween party, Laura plays with a rubber ball and gets on a kiddie ride, the heroes are explicitly comic book figures. There's little anything in the movie with mythic quality to it, instead there's a sense of how banal and meaningless life in this world is. It actively inhibits myth, really. For example, when the evil corporate mastermind shows up, he blandly explains that the extinction of mutants was the result of GMO food instead of any apocalypse.

In the quote, Jung says that "the dynamic principle of fantasy is play;" that is, play is the active mode of fantasy in which one is an active participant, and that a child's play and a creator's work are ultimately the same activity.

Ironically, you seem to be railing against this inhibition of participation and ownership in myth, while at the same time deriding the possibility of any alternative. I haven't seen Logan, but you seem to be mad at it for pointing out how "banal and meaningless life in this world is" and how this "actively inhibits myth" and are angry with this because it challenges assumptions which are aligned with that banality.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 9, 2017

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowman_McK posted:

poo poo, people play as cowboys as a kid, grow up and make art about how the end of the old west is a perfect symbol of our growth and change as an individual and as a culture, wondering what is lost and what is gained. Basically, if little kids hadn't run around going 'bang, got you' we wouldn't have Unforgiven.

Cowboys are silly too, and all movies about cowboys are silly. It's as simple as that :smug:

GonSmithe posted:

They already showed that Hela's ridiculous helmet is going to be in the movie at some point, do that'll be exciting.

Between Loki's awesome moose helmet and Thor briefly wearing his winged helmet in the first movie, the Thor movies' helmet game is on point. I expect Hela's helmet to be like one of these, either only appearing when she is in Battle Mode or her only wearing it in her first scene.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

You're imagining things. I specifically wrote "mythic comic book movie" and not "mythic movie". Logan is not a mythic comic book movie, in fact it's almost not a comic book movie, which is something that people have observed in it and praised it for. It's also not a mythic movie.

Do you dispute that either of the Westerns I named are mythic takes on the West? By the same token, do you dispute that, in both films, "there's a sense of how banal and meaningless life in this world is"? If you haven't seen them, Pale Rider is about a labour dispute at a gold mine. Unforgiven is about the consequences of a man cutting up a whore. Both are small scale, mundane, and Unforgiven deliberately addresses the myths of its characters and their clashes with reality.

Actually, gently caress, I can't even be sure what your point is. If by 'mythic film' you mean one that is larger than life in some way (I'm basing that off your referencing 300) no, Logan isn't. But it is, much like Shane, or Unforgiven, or The Wild Bunch, about an ageing warrior confronting his own myth. So, while you can say it isn't mythic in one sense, you're going to have to work pretty loving hard to convince me that it isn't about myths, and that one representation of those myths is the action figure, the idealised version of the very flawed main character.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Like, okay, a suit shows up and explains that mutants are extinct because of GMO crops. So, one step beyond the literal, he is saying that mutation is extinct because corporations now control DNA. Another step, and he is saying that corporations own the expression of the fundamental pattern of life rather than individuals, families, or societies as a whole. The film seems to be saying "the actual apocalypse the children of the future face isn't a Nietzschean madman, but corporate ownership of myth as intellectual property."

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 9, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Cowboys are silly too, and all movies about cowboys are silly. It's as simple as that :smug:

Exactly. Cowboys are just silly things kids pretend to be, and not a literary and cinematic device used to explore our own mortality, ageing, our relationship to our past and our place in a changing world.

Dumbass kids and their playing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hodgepodge posted:

In the quote, Jung says that "the dynamic principle of fantasy is play;" that is, play is the active mode of fantasy in which one is an active participant, and that a child's play and a creator's work are ultimately the same activity.

But what does this have to do with myth? Is the Jungian definition myth synonymous with fantasy?

Hodgepodge posted:

I haven't seen Logan, but you seem to be mad at it for pointing out how "banal and meaningless life in this world is" and how this "actively inhibits myth" and are angry with this because it challenges assumptions which are aligned with that banality.

Emphasis on seem. You're imagining that I wanted Logan to be a mythic movie going in. I didn't want anything from it. You're also imagining that I'm holding "mythic" as some desirable standard for quality that the movie failed to reach. I'm merely describing what the movie is. Movies or stories don't need to be mythic, it's just something a story can be.

Snowman_McK posted:

Do you dispute that either of the Westerns I named are mythic takes on the West?

No, because I'm talking about different movies.

Snowman_McK posted:

But it is, much like Shane, or Unforgiven, or The Wild Bunch, about an ageing warrior confronting his own myth.

Not really. It's about a declining superhero. He doesn't confront his own myth, he's more annoyed by his own pop culture presence.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 9, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

No, because I'm talking about different movies.

Cool, now actually say something of substance. gently caress, just tell us what the hell your point it. Because glib replies addressing individual sentences of long posts doesn't suggest that you're arguing in good faith.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

Ironically, you seem to be railing against this inhibition of participation and ownership in myth, while at the same time deriding the possibility of any alternative. I haven't seen Logan, but you seem to be mad at it for pointing out how "banal and meaningless life in this world is" and how this "actively inhibits myth" and are angry with this because it challenges assumptions which are aligned with that banality.

I'll help you out: you haven't seen the movie but you're grasping its themes much better than someone who supposedly has. The conflict between the simplistic yet pure childrens'/mythical view of Wolverine and the X-Men and the trials and violent struggles of reality is a core concept of the film, and the shot he's talking about is a culminating moment, not a base reduction.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

McSpanky posted:

The conflict between the simplistic yet pure childrens'/mythical view of Wolverine and the X-Men and the trials and violent struggles of reality is a core concept of the film, and the shot he's talking about is a culminating moment, not a base reduction.

Not really. The movie doesn't present a "simplistic yet pure children's/mythical view of Wolverine and the X-Men". The children involved are psychologically damaged killers who don't particularly look up to X-Men. When they look at comic books they're not admiring them, they're looking at the message from the Mutant Underground Railway that might or might not be real, the comic book story itself is worthless.

When they cut Logan's beard to resemble his old self, it's a joke. They don't actually want the real Wolverine to come with them. Laura is the one who wants Logan to follow them, but that's because she wants a father.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Not really. It's about a declining superhero. He doesn't confront his own myth, he's more annoyed by his own pop culture presence.

Explain the key thematic difference between a declining gunfighter (a romanticised and largely if not entirely fictionalised role) and a declining superhero. I mean, it's not like movie gunslingers at all realistic. There were guys who carried six shooters and rode horses, but there are also tall men who wear tank tops.

Now, be honest, have you actually seen the movie? Because the pop culture presence is relegated to literally one scene, while the mythic idea of what he was and what the X-men were is, like, the entire rest of the film. His legend and reputation are known to almost everyone he encounters. Also, the former is the physical manifestation of the other, so being annoyed at one is also being annoyed at the other.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

But what does this have to do with myth? Is the Jungian definition myth synonymous with fantasy?

Do we need to define every last word so we can argue the semantics? Here's a link to a book talking about it:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=_P...%20myth&f=false

Otherwise, the link between myth and fantasy should be easy enough to parse.

quote:

Emphasis on seem. You're imagining that I wanted Logan to be a mythic movie going in. I didn't want anything from it. You're also imagining that I'm holding "mythic" as some desirable standard for quality that the movie failed to reach. I'm merely describing what the movie is. Movies or stories don't need to be mythic, it's just something a story can be.

I didn't say what I think you wanted the movie to be, just how you seem to be reacting to what it said. You might be getting my point confused with someone else's because you're being dogpiled a little, though :shrug:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

quote:

The children involved are psychologically damaged killers who don't particularly look up to X-Men.

Aside from basing their entire, idealised escape plan based on little more than hope around one issue of their comics, yes, you're right.

So, again, you'd be right if you'd actually seen the movie, remembered it, and brought up things that actually happened in it.

quote:

When they cut Logan's beard to resemble his old self, it's a joke. They don't actually want the real Wolverine to come with them. Laura is the one who wants Logan to follow them, but that's because she wants a father.
"When they do a thing that literally physically invokes a thing, that thing is not what they want."

I forgot that it's one of the kids who gives him the vial, the thing that brings the old young Wolverine back, if only briefly.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 9, 2017

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Not really. The movie doesn't present a "simplistic yet pure children's/mythical view of Wolverine and the X-Men". The children involved are psychologically damaged killers who don't particularly look up to X-Men. When they look at comic books they're not admiring them, they're looking at the message from the Mutant Underground Railway that might or might not be real, the comic book story itself is worthless.

Oh c'mon dude. I kinda agree with you about the mythic stuff, but this is just dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

The children involved are psychologically damaged killers who don't particularly look up to X-Men. When they look at comic books they're not admiring them, they're looking at the message from the Mutant Underground Railway that might or might not be real, the comic book story itself is worthless.

My understanding of this was the comic book is just a story and Eden isn't real but the children used the common reference to organise their own escape; there is no secret Mutant Underground Railway except for the children and nurses themselves and the allies they make or hire along the way. e: as such, the comic book is far from worthless

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 9, 2017

• Locked thread