Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

winegums posted:

He's leagues more popular than Dugdale and right now the tories are backpedaling over their budget. He'd want to be on.

I should imagine he and that old man Jeremy Corbyn beardy man and Diane Abbott have gone out to an Irish pub to get drunk on alcohol and sing IRA songs. Sick days all around tomorrow, I shouldn't wonder!!!!!!

(all goons join us for Question Time weekly punishment in #ukgoons on synirc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The BBC has kindly 'reality checked' the claim that the Tories broke their manifesto promise.

BBC News posted:

The claim: The government's increase in National Insurance contributions is a breach of its 2015 manifesto.
Reality Check verdict: The government did promise in its manifesto not to raise National Insurance contributions, and this is an increase, so it has broken that pledge.

I'm not sure whether to be grateful that they are even criticising the government or saddened that something as simple as pointing out lies requires a special 'reality check' now.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Can someone repost the synirc link?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
#ukgoons

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Red Oktober posted:

The news orgs at least got smart to that and have now started writing headlines like 'Trump claims, citing no evidence, that Obama tapped his phones'.

If they're going to play that game then the headline should just be 'Trump makes claim while citing no evidence' and leave it at that.

It'd get a bit repetitive, but his indignant rage sure wouldn't.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Red Oktober posted:

We saw it a lot at the beginning of the Trump administration where the newspaper headline would be something like 'trump accuses obama of tapping his phone' or 'trump claims millions voted illegally', and while the article states that he had no evidence, that's not the part that people remember, especially if they don't read the article.

The news orgs at least got smart to that and have now started writing headlines like 'Trump claims, citing no evidence, that Obama tapped his phones'.

Honestly it seems like the journalistic thing to do would be to just ignore his Twitter at the very least. Used to be that the dead cat strategy was something that took some planning, Trump can just pick up his phone and spend a few seconds typing any old poo poo that comes to mind and bam, it dominates the news

And of course the big story ends up being 'THING: why thing probably isn't true'. Journalism

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

It's a shame Tasmina Ahmed-Sheik has no policies or principles of her own, because she's a fairly effective mouthpiece when she wants to be.
She shouldn't have bothered arguing with Kez about the Scottish attainment at the end because it was sensless bickering to an audience that didn't give a poo poo, but other than that she came across well.

Kex performed well at raking the Tories against the coals where she could, but fell apart as soon as Scottish independence came up.

A good question to ask about the NHS should be "assuming there is no change to the NHS being free at the point of service, should the rich be contributing more to it's cost".
Hard to get anyone to se no to that, and boom you have justification to go back to the 50p top rate.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Yeah Dugdale's problem is she's always on when there's an SNP, and she just goes for them rather than dogpiling the Tories. Needs to play the ball not the (wo)man.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

mehall posted:

Kex performed well at raking the Tories against the coals where she could, but fell apart as soon as Scottish independence came up.

She also sat there completely silent while the other panel members ripped Labour apart, not for anything to do with policy, but for being unpopular. The only defence came from the audience. I'm amazed she even bothered to attack the Tories.

EDIT
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/839993872944136192
Britain remains well on track to becoming a one party state.

jabby fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 10, 2017

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Looke posted:

here are all options

I was told life would be peaceful if I went west.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Goldman Sachs are the scum of the earth. https://twitter.com/GoldmanSachs/status/839842797242953729

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Well there's the crackpot libertarian wing like Carswell and Hannan, sort of the the anti-Lexit particles. Of course the most funny thing about those guys is the naive belief that any substantive proportion of the population actually agrees with them which somehow makes them almost blind to the ethnic nationalism and xenophobia.

Well I meant 'open to people from outside [the EU]' not 'open to people from outside [the country]'. I mean it works either way, but people who agree with the latter are much more rare.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/839993872944136192
Britain remains well on track to becoming a one party state.
don't worry its just her honeymoon period the country will come round to corbyn soon

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

In other news, there is no news:

https://twitter.com/pressgazette/status/840100621692805122

Insert opinion here before posting

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 10, 2017

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
https://twitter.com/GerardDiTrolio/status/839975580133183489

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WywJ3G2OgY

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I heard yesterday that Galloway has threatened to stand in Gorton if Labour does not select an Asian candidate. However, I have heard this morning that he has threatened to stand in Gorton if Labour does not select Afzal Khan MEP. I don't really know anything about Khan beyond the fact that he's an MEP and his name is Afzal Khan, but I am aware that there are two or three other prospective candidates who are also Asian who could be selected.

Why is Galloway set on Khan as opposed to the other candidates?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Is Galloway aware that he is white?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do you mean, is Galloway aware that Afzal Khan is white, or is George Galloway aware that George Galloway is white? :v:

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

mehall posted:

It's a shame Tasmina Ahmed-Sheik has no policies or principles of her own, because she's a fairly effective mouthpiece when she wants to be.
She shouldn't have bothered arguing with Kez about the Scottish attainment at the end because it was sensless bickering to an audience that didn't give a poo poo, but other than that she came across well.

A good question to ask about the NHS should be "assuming there is no change to the NHS being free at the point of service, should the rich be contributing more to it's cost".
Hard to get anyone to se no to that, and boom you have justification to go back to the 50p top rate.

I dont think the 50p top rate is very effective

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Breath Ray posted:

Why?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Maybe he wants a 90p top rate?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, 50p isn't really that high historically speaking if it's only on people who are that wealthy. And that's only on the margin.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Breath Ray posted:

Agreed. It's no where near high enough. John Lennon hardly lived in poverty when there was a 98p top rate.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/election_data/status/840144450449891328

This is quite a thing.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

Still great

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The edit with Liz Kendall's face on the doll was funnier tbh

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

The edit with Liz Kendall's face on the doll was funnier tbh

This was what started it though. You couldn't have one without the other.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Another interesting story from the Telegraph, but in the other direction to Alistair Heath shrieking about how taxation is theft: Juliet Samuel is pretty much calling the Tories intellectually bankrupt:

Juliet Samuel posted:

Philip Hammond is worried about the tax take. This, we are told, is why he made the strategic blunder of pushing up taxes on the self-employed this week.

The ultimate limit on how much the Treasury can collect in taxes from workers is, of course, not tax policy, but how much money people make. Any Tory chancellor should instinctively know this. The picture for UK earnings growth has been grim over the last decade and although it is now getting marginally better, it isn’t expected to improve dramatically. Yet despite the importance of earnings, on this basic measure of our economy’s health, the Budget was largely silent.

It’s not just Hammond. Politicians and experts across the Right have few policy suggestions on one of the greatest economic problems facing the country: low pay and, underlying it, Britain’s weak business investment and productivity.

Very interesting in that she goes on to say that tax cuts aren't going to solve the problem, and neither is following typical centre-left policy, which is why protectionism is emerging as pretty much the only card left in a lot of right-wing politicians hands.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Agreed. It's no where near high enough. John Lennon hardly lived in poverty when there was a 98p top rate.

He also hardly lived in Britain.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Michael Gove's column in The Times today is really quite something

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/mrs-may-is-our-first-catholic-prime-minister-zmbgdqjz3

quote:

Mrs May is our first Catholic prime minister
The PM’s outlook on life is informed by traditional Anglo-Catholic beliefs that pose a risk to our post-Brexit future

As sacrifices go, it may not seem very much. But as symbols go, it says a lot.

Theresa May’s decision to give up her favourite crisps for Lent may not have been headline news. I suspect, however, that it’s at least as important as anything else we’ve discovered in the past ten days. Because it goes to the heart of the beliefs that guide, and the background that has shaped, our prime minister.

The principle of Lenten sacrifice, of giving up something cherished to recall the 40 days Jesus spent in the wilderness, is a discipline observed by many Christians. But it is particularly a feature of Catholic practice. And Theresa May is, I believe, Britain’s first Catholic prime minister.

An Anglo-Catholic rather than a Roman Catholic, but no less a Catholic for that. One of the many wonders of the Anglican Church is that it comprehends both those who think of themselves as definitively Protestant in the tradition of Thomas Cranmer and those who believe they are continuity Catholics practising a spirituality and believing in a theology that has passed down from St Augustine to Pusey and Keble. Theresa May’s father, Hubert Brasier, was a priest who very much subscribed to the latter tradition.

He trained at the College of the Resurrection, at Mirfield in Yorkshire, an Anglo-Catholic centre which combines preparation for Anglican ministry with a monastic community. The prime minister has herself revealed something of her family’s specifically Catholic approach to worship when she was a guest on Desert Island Discs. She chose two hymns. And one of them, Therefore We, Before Him Bending, is particularly theologically significant. It is normally sung during a service known as Benediction of (or with) the Blessed Sacrament, an Anglo-Catholic ritual which was illegal before 1917, so incendiary was it in the eyes of Low Church Protestants. The Rev Giles Fraser, the former canon chancellor of St Paul’s Cathedral, has explained that Benediction, “the worship of the holy sacrament — or ‘wafer worship’ as Protestant scoffers often describe it — is pretty hardcore Anglo-Catholic stuff”.

Now, of course, growing up in a household steeped in Catholic spirituality is one thing. Carrying that through to one’s life and work quite another. But I believe the best way of considering the prime minister’s approach to office, in the round, is to see it through the prism of Catholic thought and practice.

Particularly Catholic social thought. There is a coherent and distinguished political tradition, pioneered by, but not unique to, Catholic intellectuals which attempts to steer between the twin dangers of excessive individualism and oppressive statism. It has its roots in the philosophy of Aquinas, borrows from the work of Aristotle and was revived for the industrial age by Pope Leo XIII with his encyclical De Rerum Novarum (Of Revolutionary Things) in 1891.

Catholic social thought places emphasis on the cultivation of virtue rather than the exercise of liberty or the accumulation of prosperity as mankind’s goal. In economic terms it thinks of the common good, with individuals given the chance to find dignity in the exercise of skill, as the guiding principle rather than profits or abstract equality targets. And it is particularly concerned about the dignity of work and workers. It celebrates vocation, believes in worker participation in industrial decision-making and sees firms as institutions which exist to serve society and imbue individual lives with purpose rather than just maximising shareholder value.

It is striking how much of the prime minister’s rhetoric and policy reflects these beliefs. In interviews, including most strikingly in the New Statesman last month, she refers repeatedly to the common good. Her flirtation with workers on boards, interest in corporate governance reform and laceration of capitalists who plunder firms rather than protect workers is all of a piece.

Just as the Catholic social thinkers of the late 19th century were reacting to the capitalist ruthlessness of utilitarians and Manchester Liberals while also guarding against the growing allure of Marxism and revolution, so the prime minister’s supporters see her reacting against the excesses of unfettered globalisation and corporate greed while also guarding against the dangers of a populist and protectionist counter-revolution.

Until recently the principal intellectual upholders of Catholic social thought in British politics have been identified with the “Blue Labour” tradition — individuals such as Jon Cruddas, MP, Adrian Pabst and Lord Glasman. The occupation of this philosophical terrain by Mrs May is in line with her broader incursion into Labour’s electoral heartland.

Paradoxically, it is precisely Mrs May’s conservatism — her ethic of service, attachment to traditions and unease with globalisation’s wrenching pace of change — that makes her so attractive to Labour voters outside the major cities. But it also exposes the government to a longer-term risk. Britain’s path to preeminence in the past followed our break with Catholicism and embrace of the Reformation. We pursued a global, maritime, buccaneering, individualistic, liberal destiny — the spirit of our capitalism was infused with a very Protestant ethic. Now that we are once more freeing ourselves from a conformist Continent to make our own way in the world the question of whether we need to be more radical to maximise opportunities or more cautious to reassure and protect is central to our politics. I can see the case for both. Which may not be very crusading. But I suspect it makes me genuinely Anglican.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
alright, it's time to own up - who gave jfairfax the michael gove skinsuit?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Big Tone wants a word

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Didn't Tony turn to Rome after he stood down?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Didn't Tony turn to Rome after he stood down?

officially, yes, but it was an open secret beforehand. He just kept denying it in the press because despite it being 2005-2007 when it was all over the press, it was still a controversial thing somehow.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
lmao

Someone call Pope Frankie Boy and get a Govite crusade in the works, might help out a church dogged by persistent "you hosed/starved the kids" allegations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It's good that someone sent him Max Weber's book from slightly over 100 years ago to keep him updated with slightly more contemporary threats to our country + liberty than marxism though lol

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there a UKMT thread consensus on George Galloway? Good man or bad man?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Entropy238 posted:

Probably something along the lines of "amusing idiot" with that picture of him meeting Saddam Hussein attached

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Entropy238 posted:

He's a dickhead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Entropy238 posted:

Seems to be a massive, massive twat to this UKMT heavyweight.

• Locked thread