Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

those may be different levels of seniority for similar positions or something

nah it's the exact same job, it's normal to see differences of 15-20 between agencies but I've never seen 35 before, somebody needs to hit their q1 numbers I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
How bad is working in AdTech? Glassdoor rating is a 2.7. Anyone pay attention to Glassdoor?

Also they have no QA department which I kind of took as a plus.

Rudest Buddhist fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 11, 2017

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Rudest Buddhist posted:

:confused:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Rudest Buddhist posted:

How bad is working in AdTech? Glassdoor rating is a 2.7. Anyone pay attention to Glassdoor?

this means you're the qa department.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just got a call from a finance company that somehow included both "customers open new accounts" and "virtual reality" in the job description

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

a friend of mine works at a place that does this. as part of the application process, you have to give a presentation to the whole company on whatever subject of your choice. i reckon it's supposed to work as a cultural/personality filter, at which it presumably excels

it's stopped me from applying there. adtech outfit, so no great loss, but the work sounds more interesting than at my current place so :shrug:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

are interview presentations atypical?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

dunno, i don't really have the experience to judge. this outfit are pretty open about it, and call it out very clearly on their jobs page and in ads, which is why it stands out to me. then again, i live in a tiny place in the rear end end of nowhere and this town is definitely not a tech hub so ymmv

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bloody posted:

are interview presentations atypical?

this is the first time I've ever heard of it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have to do a lot of presentations but I'm a designer so I have a portfolio I can show. asking someone to do an original presentation seems lame

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rudest Buddhist posted:

glassdoor is full of complainers. salaries always skew low, and the reviews are a crapshoot. lots of 1-stars from angry, bitter fucks. lots of 5-stars from persons in the hr department.

better to actually interview places and try to find back-channel references you might know via linkedin

--

p.s. ad-tech is loving terrible because how the gently caress do any of these companies make money? trying to shave pennies off of businesses that are already penny-shaving is really unpleasant

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

I have to do a lot of presentations but I'm a designer so I have a portfolio I can show. asking someone to do an original presentation seems lame

If I was good at talking to humans I wouldn't be a software engineer

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

The Management posted:

If I was good at talking to humans I wouldn't be a software engineer

this but unironically

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

The Management posted:

this is the first time I've ever heard of it

oh interesting. i did presentations to get both my previous and current job, plus a couple others at interviews along the way

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

you should try being an expert computer man than can also interface with humanoids effectively, highly recommended

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

AWWNAW posted:

you should try being an expert computer man than can also interface with humanoids effectively, highly recommended

why, do you know somebody who does that

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

also I kinda like the presentation as interview idea. at least then you can mostly control the interview instead of watching them type notes into their structured candidate feedback template on confluence

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i had to do a 15-minute presentation (ended up being 35 lol) about a past project of my choice for a bunch of software architects at an interview. i thought it was a good tool

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
When I interviewed to be a teacher for Kaplan test prep I had to teach them a random thing I thought was interesting. I chose how to count votes using ranked voting schemes.

But that at least made sense, since I was interviewing as a teacher to get a job as a teacher.

How legit a presentation / teaching interview is probably depends on how seriously the company considers presentations/teaching as part of your job description. It's probably not as important in practice as whoever designed the recruiting process would like it to be.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ADINSX posted:

If anyone is looking for a python/big data dev position in Seattle we're hiring. The pay is pretty meh but its an exciting time at the company, we're slowly moving off our farm of postgres databases to some kind of big data analytics solution.

cool, what company? i have a friend who might be interested

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is half of yospos unemployed at the moment?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

glassdoor is full of complainers. salaries always skew low, and the reviews are a crapshoot. lots of 1-stars from angry, bitter fucks. lots of 5-stars from persons in the hr department.

better to actually interview places and try to find back-channel references you might know via linkedin

--

p.s. ad-tech is loving terrible because how the gently caress do any of these companies make money? trying to shave pennies off of businesses that are already penny-shaving is really unpleasant

a recent trend i've noticed is companies outright telling their employees to leave reviews on glassdoor. the ones that do this tend to be companies that are good to work for / have nothing to hide

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
and yet there's some companies who are so massive that it's impossible to garner value from glassdoor unless you really go team by team, and def read Director and up reviews, cuz that's where the real poo poo is

im looking at you, level 3

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

we are trading up

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

echinopsis posted:

my job had 4 really important people leave from an engineering department that was only like 16 people and everything is horrible now

the VP was one of them and now his office is full of old furniture and the CEO won't listen to anyone who's not a VP saying that the dates he's demanding are impossible

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sniep posted:

level 3

lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Sniep posted:

and yet there's some companies who are so massive that it's impossible to garner value from glassdoor unless you really go team by team, and def read Director and up reviews, cuz that's where the real poo poo is

im looking at you, level 3

oh yeah the only places i've interviewed with / worked for that did this were under 500 employees. once you hit megacorp levels it's all a wash and definitely dependent on which department you're in

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

we are trading up

nah i get that but a whole lotta dudes on twitter talking about being actually unemployed

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Rex-Goliath posted:

a recent trend i've noticed is companies outright telling their employees to leave reviews on glassdoor. the ones that do this tend to be companies that are good to work for / have nothing to hide

i suggested this to my hr lady for exactly this reason since we're hiring

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

u know the pain lived the dream?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sniep posted:

u know the pain lived the dream?

hell no but i know ex level 3 people that have nothing but terrible things to say

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

and now they're owned by the rednecks from monroe louisiana lmao

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

mishaq posted:

hell no but i know ex level 3 people that have nothing but terrible things to say

I was with Level 3 for eight years.
it went from pretty questionable to insanely bad

and i've been gone 6mo now, about

i cant imagine how poo poo's like there now

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i think you can see my av here smiles more, since i've been gone.

i havent changed it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Twerk from Home posted:

my job had 4 really important people leave from an engineering department that was only like 16 people and everything is horrible now

the VP was one of them and now his office is full of old furniture and the CEO won't listen to anyone who's not a VP saying that the dates he's demanding are impossible

i want to hear a story about a ceo/owner that just literally fired everybody in a fit of rage lol

i am certain that's happened out there

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mishaq posted:

and now they're owned by the rednecks from monroe louisiana lmao

eww

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this was sent to me at 11pm on a Friday night. I'm guessing there was alcohol involved. not edited in any way except for anonymizing.

quote:

Hi Mr. MANAGEMENT,

I loved reading your LinkedIn profile. Positive energy a flowing. And it seemed like you were talking directly to me about let’s do something new and cool. I had to dig deeper. Of course I found many attempts and some contact between you and COMPANY in the past and even late last year. Heck, you were set up for an onsite, too.

COMPANY will build cool things to reach hundreds of millions of people – which is exactly your specialty, right? It makes sense to me that you would be in on the plan…what is your position on COMPANY? Just a bit curious I am.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

thirsty dudes only have one writing style I guess. let's see

quote:

I loved reading your Tinder profile. Positive energy a flowing. And it seemed like you were talking directly to me about let’s do something new and cool. I had to dig deeper.
yep

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

qirex posted:

thirsty dudes only have one writing style I guess. let's see

yep

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i want to hear a story about a ceo/owner that just literally fired everybody in a fit of rage lol

i am certain that's happened out there

I bet more than one small startup has fired its ceo

Like, everybody simultaneously quits to form the exact same company except without that ceo

• Locked thread