Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Next time some distant relative dies tho I'm gonna try to swing that into thee weeks paid leave, go off to greece or bali or something to "grieve"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Khorne posted:

Who the gently caress takes 3 weeks off for a death?

Close family dies + family living far away + executor of the estate. Can be a total clusterfuck if you throw in dramatic family members, too.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Victorians used to grieve like all the time because they had rules how long you did it, it was a lot. But now once the funeral is over you better be filing those reports and clicking stuff on your computer

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Attention Employee: The death of your family member is cutting into our profits. Please grieve only at the appointed "Emotion Times" or you will be reprimanded

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

How do I[33F] make myself attracted to him[54m]?

quote:

I'm not a catch. I'm obese with poor mental health and no job.

He isn't a catch either. He's older, divorced, bitter, and also unemployed. But he wants to have sex with me and he's tolerable. So long as we keep conversations light and away from religion/politics. Which is fine as I'm pretty sure his interest in me is purely sexual. I'm pretty sure thats where his interest in any woman would end.

I don't know what I'm asking. Should I even get into this situation at all? He calls my breasts udders and can't call my rear end just my rear end. It has to be my fat rear end. While I enjoy some bedroom bdsm, being referred to as livestock and constantly reminded of my weight doesn't do anything for me. But I'm lonely and he's for now, not forever. I don't know.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Buy a vibrator, honey.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

just masturbate wtf

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
:smith:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

There needs to be a giant smith that starts slowly weeping more smiths, because jesus

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
The crushing void of self esteem in that post, yikes

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Wear a cowbell, drat she's selfish for a literal farm animal that learned how to post things on the internet about old McDonald.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
HR approved the leave, and the manager (or more likely OP) can get shitcanned when the bereaved employee gets back with damming evidence of harassment.

E: most likely the bereaved gets canned for rocking the boat and the manager gets promoted for initiative. OP spirals into depression and commits suicide.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 12, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002

boner confessor posted:

someone experiencing the human emotion called "grief"
I've had some important people in my life die, and I personally liked showing up to work because at least it empties your head and distracts you for some period of time.

I also tend to be more motivated to do productive type stuff when things are going bad or are difficult. A get knocked down, come up stronger kind of mentality has always been there for me.

I get that everyone handles things differently.

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Close family dies + family living far away + executor of the estate. Can be a total clusterfuck if you throw in dramatic family members, too.
That makes sense.

Pvt.Scott posted:

HR approved the leave, and the manager (or more likely OP) can get shitcanned when the bereaved employee gets back with damming evidence of harassment.
The manager shouldn't have written a letter and had someone else deliver it either. Seems messed up. I'm not on his side. Don't get me wrong. I've just never seen someone take 3 week+ leave over a death.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 12, 2017

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Yeah, in any country with anything approaching robust labour laws, what that manager did is an absolutely massive legal liability.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Breetai posted:

Yeah, in any country with anything approaching robust labour laws, what that manager did is an absolutely massive legal liability.

too bad it happened in America

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My husband (25M) and I (24F) are a mixed race couple. My daughter looks only like me and it's causing some problems.Non-Romantic
submitted 4 hours ago by mixedracing

My husband and I got married a bit over 2 years ago. We had an unplanned pregnancy very soon after. Our daughter is now 18 months old.
I am rather dark-skinned, my husband is very light-skinned. Our daughter took after me at birth and has only gotten darker over the years. Genetically speaking I have more dominant traits so this make sense, but she shares zero physical traits with my husband. She's a carbon copy of me, as well as some other traits from my extended family.
If he travels with her people ask if she's adopted, and he calmly responds that she's not. That's fine, but sometimes people ask if she's really his child. Strangers, acquaintances, family members. They make jokes about me cheating on him a lot. It hurts us both. We usually just ignore the remarks.
People also make snide comments about her appearance. I'm not very pretty and unfortunately my daughter got some of my less than attractive traits, like my nose. We consider her a cute baby but sometimes people are unkind...to a baby! Pick on me all you want but it's just so heartbreaking that they'd make fun of my child. Sometimes it's straightforward but most of the time it's underhanded comments, especially from family.
Currently we just ignore everything we hear but this makes me really upset because it still happens. What can we do?

tl;dr: people are unkind to me, my husband, and our baby over baby's appearance

people are racist af

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Mirthless posted:

except when the grieving person comes back to work and gets fired for not following up on the note her boss inappropriately sent her, lol

This resonated with me a bit. One of those manager types, sometimes self-appointed who won't stop looking for ways to gently caress with a person. It's been a while since I've been forced to be around someone like this, but there's always a distinct moment after the third or fourth time someone interrupts what you're doing to make some kind of inane request to put you out of your way. When you realize ooooh, that's their MO. To say no would be rude and it's just a small thing right? That level of skill at being a nuisance takes years of practice.

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 12, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Iron Prince posted:

too bad it happened in America

:capitalism:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Feel bad for mixed race couple cause yeah, that will pretty much never stop.

Only actual solution is terrible, Have a second kid hope its a boy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

Found our (30M, 30F) friend's (31M) Reddit account and am concerned for his well-being.Non-Romantic
submitted 31 minutes ago by teddy8282

SO and I have been friends with our friend (31 M) for about 4 years. We consider him to be one of our best friends, but he has been getting more and more distant and we have been worried about his mental health.

2 years ago, our friend's girlfriend of 10 years broke up with him. He was definitely upset about it, but very rarely expressed his emotions about it to us. We initially tried not to bring it up too much, as it seemed like he wanted to keep moving forward and not focus on the past. Now I'm wondering if we didn't ask if he was OK enough.

We live in the same city as our friend. We constantly ask him to hang out, visit parks, get drinks, come over for dinner, etc, but he usually is slow to respond to texts and has become more distant since the breakup with his long-term girlfriend. I can only imagine how hard that was on him, so we make a serious consistent effort to reach out to him and make plans with him, yet recently he doesn't seem to value our friendship as much as we value his.
The frustrating part for us, is that it's not like he doesn't have a social life. He uses online dating heavily (too much if you ask me) and is always going out with random girls he never seems to make second plans with. He already had a rebound relationship of 6 months that didn't end well (we knew it wasn't a healthy relationship from the beginning). We've found it a bit offensive that he does have a social life but NEVER includes us or makes plans with us. He seems artificially happy but a bit withdrawn when he does hang out with us.

I have been worried about him, and knowing his Reddit username, decided to look into his Reddit history to make sure he was OK. Yes Reddit- I am not proud for creeping but he is so closed off to us and has seemed weird and I'm worried about him.

I started looking into his Reddit comment and post history to find dozens of posts in Depression-related subs. He has many comments and posts about how his long-term ex-girlfriend didn't understand his depression and how he feels like he'd rather not drag the world down with his tears and sorrow. We didn't even know he was mildly depressed as he puts on a fake smile every time he's around us. Because his ex made him feel like being depression was something to hide and be ashamed of, he has decided to fake happiness and appear quiet and content with life.

It seems as though he'd rather surround himself with online dates and new friends from work, building new relationships without much substance. He has very few friends here that know about his ex, and after reading his posts, it seems clear to us that he'd rather make new friends that know nothing about his past that he can have solely superficial conversations with, only because it's easier than him being himself.

SO and I never pushed him to talk about his long term relationship breakup, but asked several times how he was doing and always tried to make plans with him since he doesn't have many friends. Now that I have read his Reddit history about his depression and thoughts about being a gaping hole of sadness, I feel very sad. I thought we were there for him, but he apparently feels like he has nobody in his life.

His ex made him feel like he had to hide his depression and be the cheery guy everyone loved. That cheery guy is far, far away now and we want our old friend back. Because of his ex, he is afraid to show his true broken self and would rather make new friends groups every few months so he can move on and not let anyone get too close.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

:eyepop:

Makes me worried for the first girl to find out I post here

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pick posted:

quote:

His ex made him feel like he had to hide his depression and be the cheery guy everyone loved. That cheery guy is far, far away now and we want our old friend back. Because of his ex, he is afraid to show his true broken self and would rather make new friends groups every few months so he can move on and not let anyone get too close.

:confused:

buddy, if you can't handle your friend's depression, you can't handle your friend's depression, but you really sound like you're upset your friend isn't faking happiness anymore.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Pick posted:

My husband (25M) and I (24F) are a mixed race couple. My daughter looks only like me and it's causing some problems.Non-Romantic

My husband and I got married a bit over 2 years ago. We had an unplanned pregnancy very soon after. Our daughter is now 18 months old.
I am rather dark-skinned, my husband is very light-skinned. Our daughter took after me at birth and has only gotten darker over the years. Genetically speaking I have more dominant traits so this make sense, but she shares zero physical traits with my husband. She's a carbon copy of me, as well as some other traits from my extended family.
If he travels with her people ask if she's adopted, and he calmly responds that she's not. That's fine, but sometimes people ask if she's really his child. Strangers, acquaintances, family members. They make jokes about me cheating on him a lot. It hurts us both. We usually just ignore the remarks.
People also make snide comments about her appearance. I'm not very pretty and unfortunately my daughter got some of my less than attractive traits, like my nose. We consider her a cute baby but sometimes people are unkind...to a baby! Pick on me all you want but it's just so heartbreaking that they'd make fun of my child. Sometimes it's straightforward but most of the time it's underhanded comments, especially from family.
Currently we just ignore everything we hear but this makes me really upset because it still happens. What can we do?

people are racist af

Genetics, how work?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Pick posted:

people are racist af

This reminds me of a very similar question that popped up in a Miss Manners book; the writer was a white woman with a Japanese husband, their baby took very heavily after the husband, and people were constantly asking her if she'd adopted from overseas. Miss Manner's advice was to lower your voice and say "oh, please don't say that around (Husband); he thinks she looks just like him."

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

The "we we we" joined at the hip language is a little creepy. It sounds like this is a chimeric couple monster that's super jealous of this guy moving on from them. It's stalking him online and then it's gonna drag him back with it's many-limbed grasp

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

That's some Charles Bukowski poo poo

Dunning Krugerrand
Dec 23, 2015

purestrain pyrite

My [30M] mistress [25F] is sleeping with other guys while 'waiting for me'I

quote:

Judge if you must, but I'm looking for insight here.

My current marriage is over. NEITHER of us have been perfect, so we're both in the process of ending it. (Ex)Wife is currently moving her stuff out and finding a new place. No kids or major property issues. We are partly ending it because I'm head over heels for my mistress.

My mistress and I have known each other for some time, relationship blossomed over many months, both of us have confessed love to each other, made plans for a committed relationship once my marriage is over since she knows my current predicament. Mistress had been with a very long term but deadbeat boyfriend, but he recently broke up with her in order to pursue his own interests. She's been lonely since he left her.

Mistress has confessed her love for me, assured me we are perfect together and will be committed to me in the future, and I believe her emotions are sincere. We talked about her plans and I made it clear that until we're able to be together, she can date other men if she feels the need to. She's lonely and unhappy being alone, so I suppose I understand. However, a recent first date of hers led to her going home with the guy. I was an emotional wreck and felt I had been cheated on, even though I technically permitted her to. I told her how I felt the next day, she was shocked and didn't know or understand why I would be so distraught. She acknowledged how much it hurt me and felt deeply sorry (but with no promises to change, I didn't demand that of her), and I tried to put it past us.

However, recently (past couple weeks) she's been meeting guys over the internet for dates and has gone home with at least one of them (I have no idea if sex occurred). I know she's lonely and I can't currently be with her at the moment, but she knows how much it pains me, and I've reiterated this to her.

Now, she's currently at a business conference, but met a guy there and hooked up, explaining that her body isn't a finite resource and this is was last chance she'll get to hook up with a guy on a trip before she commits to me.

I feel cheated upon once again. I believe her feelings and plans for me are sincere, but her actions in the meantime are destroying me. I have a lot invested in this woman. I want to be with her, not leave her, but how do you cope with watching the woman you love be with other guys?

Perhaps the saying "we're not punished for our sins, but by our sins" rings true.

tl;dr: mistress is sleeping with other guys while waiting to "be with me" until my marriage is officially over, am I foolish to be upset with her?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Whaaaaaaa:captainpop:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

Lol at that guy. Just lol.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TFW your side piece has a side piece.

Side pieces all the way down.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Pick posted:

people are racist af

Baby ugly, so what

Barudak
May 7, 2007

chumbler posted:

TFW your side piece has a side piece.

Side pieces all the way down.

I wonder how many steps of sidepiece action connects them. How many sidepieces until Kevin Bacon?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

So, like... what was this dude picturing happening when he said she could date other men? Trips to the Hi Teen Carnival and chaste pecks on the cheek in front of her door? Sending him Snapchats of her and the other dude playing Scrabble while her maiden aunt carefully supervises to make sure their hands don't touch?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I know a guy that married a mixed race girl and they had a baby that was darker than either of them, and while no one made comments to them that the baby wasn't his, it was kinda giggled about behind his back. Better behaved people started shutting that kind of talk down and we just figured hey, genetics can be unpredictable but then it turned out it wasn't his kid after all :shobon:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I don't have a kid but I can only imagine how I would respond if people were openly talking poo poo about my baby's appearance to me. Especially if was because she had the "wrong" features.

Jesus Christ, what is wrong with people? And he must have the patience of a loving saint if he isn't just suplexing the racism out of them

Play
Apr 25, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

I know a guy that married a mixed race girl and they had a baby that was darker than either of them, and while no one made comments to them that the baby wasn't his, it was kinda giggled about behind his back. Better behaved people started shutting that kind of talk down and we just figured hey, genetics can be unpredictable but then it turned out it wasn't his kid after all :shobon:

lmbo

The real question is does it really matter? A father's a father and a mother is a mother regardless of genetics

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Play posted:

lmbo

The real question is does it really matter? A father's a father and a mother is a mother regardless of genetics

Yes

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Play posted:

lmbo

it does

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Elsa posted:

Wear a cowbell, drat she's selfish for a literal farm animal that learned how to post things on the internet about old McDonald.

lmbo hosed up but very funny

Also, I know it matters to people, but in most cases it shouldn't. I grew up with three siblings but I was the only actual child from my mom and dad. They managed to make it not matter and it made it much better for my half sisters and adopted brother that way, better for everyone including me in fact. Obviously I would want to know if I was the genetic father of a child or not, but that wouldn't stop be from being a father.

Play fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Me [20M] with my girl/love/my heart [24 F] of 4 months had a disagreement and I broke up her deceased Ex-boyfriend.[new]
submitted 12 minutes ago by Teboned_U

So I have been talking to this girl on the phone everyday for atleast 4hrs. We have been talking for about 4 months. At first, I saw this girl at work, I was amazed by her beauty. She took my breathe away. By far the most beautiful I had ever seen. She was so lovely, so pure, so unbelievable. But living in SOCAL ; there are plently of beautiful woman, so i thought nothing of it.

I had never really had a conversation with her because I knew she had a boyfriend, and I have respect for that.

A month into working for this company, (I think it was june, not sure) her boyfriend passes away in a motorcycle wreck. I felt so much hurt for her, still never talking to her. I didn't want to approach her because I knew she was hurting so much.

Come the week before Christmas eve, We chat a little. She invites me out to attend a fellow coworkers birthday on friday evening. I go to that event, so i could spend more time with her. I knew she thought i was cute, i could see it in the way she would interact with me. Constant giggling, and crunching her nose( it still makes me the happiest man ever). The evening was AMAZING. She was so funny, so cute, so adorable, so sweet. I started to crush on her but i wasn't going to let her know.

I spent the whole weekend thinking, gently caress, i really like this girl. I text her merry christmas and all of that good stuff. Didn't want to come on too strong.

The next week, she was to leave to Canada for new years. Okay, whatever. She isn't into me. I tried to text her, no real results. I gave up. I didn't care. Why should i? The day before she leaves for Canada she texts me if we could get dinner in the area because "the traffic was so heavy getting home". I was already on my motorcycle about to leave, PERFECT TIMING. OF COURSE.

That night, I fell so hard for this woman. I connected with her better than anyone I've ever connected with in my entire life. We sat at dinner, I barely ate, and talked for over 3 hours. She still had not packed. I looked at the time and was shocked it felt like 45 minutes. CRAZY.

She comes back, Immediately asks me to come visit her at another shop location. OF COURSE. I wanted this girl so much. Not physically. I wanted her heart. She's so pure. Same thing AGAIN. I loose track of time. That week I hung out with her 5 times.

Come saturday, We go to a movie, I make the move. She's perfection. I've seen a few girls in my day but this woman was everything i've ever wanted.

The next week, she got accepted to a school close to my house. I was stoked for her for her future. She was living her dreams. RAD.

Needless to say, I'd do anything to make her happy. I fell for her super hard. I fell in love with her. She is my dream, I want her by my side as i conquer this world.

She is gets stressed due to school, I think I have handled it well in the past but tonight she was degrading me for not doing anything, but i really was taking care of business. I asked her if she could not speak to me like that. She told me im being to sensitive, I told her I don't like to be belittled by someone i TRULY care for. IT hurts.

I told her, I want to be with her, she isn't ready to move on from her past. It hurts her. I know that. I've been willing to wait. But today, she said she'll be sad forever. It torn through me like a million bullets through a piece of college rule lined paper. I thought, maybe i'm not good enough to myself. It hurt me a lot. I even cried because I thought i made her happy. I have invested so much into her. I loved her, cared for her. I haven't even had sexual intercourse with her, and i'm head over-heels for this woman.

So i told her, I know I'll never be Her ex-boyfriend. I am me. I am sorry if i can't make her happy, I do everything in my power to. Then i hosed up, I said, He is gone now, but i am here. I told you I'll never leave your side. She gets super angry over that. I didn't mean to upset her. I just wanted to let her know that I AM here NOW. I didn't want to anger her. I just want her, with me.

She told me she doesnt want me to talk me and to not right anything and she wants a break from me. And she blocked me from contacting her.

I know I am okay, but I know I hosed up. I know how much i care for this girl, how much i love her. I can't think straight, I can't do anything right now. Nothing is making me happy.

How in the world can I get past this? Does she really even care for me if she is able to do this over this? I had no bad intention, i just wanted her to know that I am here now and that I wish she'd love me too, because im right in front of her.

She was the first one I called and thought of when i got hit on my motorcycle last month. She took care of me during my rough times, Im out of work. Stuck at home. Hurt. And now sad.

What do i do? I can't not cry at the thought of losing this girl. I just want to make her happy. I just want to make her smile. WHAT THE gently caress DO I DO. I can't not cry.