Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Zarlog posted:

Danmaku 2 Unlimited is free for two more hours. No idea if it's any good

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.doragongames.danmakuunlimited2

Danmaku Unlimited 2 is freaking great. It's better on mobile than PC because the movement speed scales with your swipe, rather than a fixed speed as in the PC version. If you like shooters give it a shot. Oh, and the soundtrack rules too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Knifegrab posted:

I really like egg Inc but it definitely seems like there is a point you will have to buy golden eggs to proceed which is kind of lame. The upgrades that use them scale very fast and the game only gives you a tiny trickle to begin with.

Well, I've sort of hit a wall where I'm trying to raise like 1.4 nonillion bucks, so that's taking a while. The golden egg bonuses I've been spending on have been, for the most part, the ones that help me get more eggs/second, like internal hatchery upgrades, but I also am getting something like 35% reduction in research costs, and I have almost 9k soul eggs, each getting me an extra 13% profit.

Anyway, I don't think I gave you any advice, sorry! I'd love it if any Egg inc pros could chime in here, and I'm sorry for skipping all of the advice when you guys were first talking about this game :negative:

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

explosivo posted:

This is more of an apps question but it is related; Is there a podcast app you guys use that doesn't pause during some games? I use Doubletwist and like it pretty well but some games always pause my podcast while open and it makes me not want to play them on break or whenever I'm listening to something.

I think this only happens in games where you can't disable the audio, just turn the volume down. But I have heard people say not all podcast apps do this so I thought I'd ask.
I don't really listen to podcasts but I have come across games that will completely kill the audio from any other app while they're running and I'm not sure there's a workaround in that case.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

a lot of apps do that thing where if you have a music/podcast app running, it will pause it when you launch the second app. in that case i just open the notification tray and hit "play" again in the music/podcast app. if some apps make it where you can't go and hit play again, i don't think it's the fault of your podcast app, but probably more the fault of the lovely app that is blocking it and/or something inherent to the android os

what apps do this btw??

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Zarlog posted:

Danmaku 2 Unlimited is free for two more hours. No idea if it's any good

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.doragongames.danmakuunlimited2

This paying for anyone else?I have a one plus 2 which should pretty much handle anything I throw at it

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I came across MonstroCity which is a fun spin on the city build and raid for resources genre, in that it's got a Rampage theme where you let your monsters stomp around the enemy in real time.

It's still a city builder though and I was curious if anybody knows of any games where you just run around smashing buildings and stomping people etc.

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal

w00tmonger posted:

This paying for anyone else?I have a one plus 2 which should pretty much handle anything I throw at it

It's working on my galaxy s7

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

a lot of apps do that thing where if you have a music/podcast app running, it will pause it when you launch the second app. in that case i just open the notification tray and hit "play" again in the music/podcast app. if some apps make it where you can't go and hit play again, i don't think it's the fault of your podcast app, but probably more the fault of the lovely app that is blocking it and/or something inherent to the android os

what apps do this btw??

explosivo posted:

This is more of an apps question but it is related; Is there a podcast app you guys use that doesn't pause during some games? I use Doubletwist and like it pretty well but some games always pause my podcast while open and it makes me not want to play them on break or whenever I'm listening to something.

I think this only happens in games where you can't disable the audio, just turn the volume down. But I have heard people say not all podcast apps do this so I thought I'd ask.

I use Podcast Addict. I'm fairly certain I've launched a game, it's paused my audio track, and then I did the pull down notification tray and hit play again. I'm pretty sure it works like that, and with Audible too.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Xtanstic posted:

I use Podcast Addict. I'm fairly certain I've launched a game, it's paused my audio track, and then I did the pull down notification tray and hit play again. I'm pretty sure it works like that, and with Audible too.

I feel like this is a fairly new thing. I used to play games all the time without it pausing (some still do), but now most pause it. Is this lazy developing or what?

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

thehoodie posted:

I feel like this is a fairly new thing. I used to play games all the time without it pausing (some still do), but now most pause it. Is this lazy developing or what?

Pokemon Go used to do it until they patched it out. I assume that they only did it because of how huge that game was and how many people probably bitched about it. It leads me to believe that "does this game pause a music player" is fairly low on a developers mind.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So my issue with the podcasts is that some apps let you resume it by just tabbing over to the app and resuming the podcast, but there are others (like Potion Punch for example) that pause it every time I do this. With Doubletwist, it takes away the notification thing on the top once the podcast pauses so in order to resume it I have to actually switch apps, resume, then switch back to the game I'm playing. I thought I remembered reading before that this was a per-app basis thing on the side of the podcasts which is why I asked if anyone had dealt with this before. It could just be that it's up to the app to decide if it pauses any background audio or not while playing and I may just be SOL.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

I use PocketCasts, so it's looking like more of a per-game issue than a podcast app issue. I would assume that these games would pause apps like Google Play Music or PowerAmp also.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

bunky posted:

I use PocketCasts, so it's looking like more of a per-game issue than a podcast app issue. I would assume that these games would pause apps like Google Play Music or PowerAmp also.

I can't remember which game it was (I want to say Mini Metro) but I've had a case where PowerAmp would play on just fine but it would always pause Pocket Casts so I don't know what was going on there (in MM's case they later fixed it) .

explosivo posted:

With Doubletwist, it takes away the notification thing on the top once the podcast pauses so in order to resume it I have to actually switch apps, resume, then switch back to the game I'm playing.

I haven't used Doubletwist but in Pocket Casts there's a toggle for "hide notification on pause" which might be an option in your podcast app settings.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 10, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

thehoodie posted:

Yeah it's way hit or miss. Sometimes if you're lucky, muting music is enough.

I've even seen a couple games where audio pauses on the opening screen and theme then autostarts, and then when any other sound happens in game it fully pauses..

I'd be happy with being able to have individual audio sliders for all apps in my android settings. I just uninstall and 1 star poo poo that pauses my music.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

As far as I'm aware it's down to the player whether it respects another app having focus

quote:

Audio Focus is cooperative. Applications are encouraged to comply with the audio focus guidelines, but the system does not enforce the rules. If an application wants to continue to play loudly even after losing audio focus, nothing can prevent that. This is a bad experience and there's a good chance that users will uninstall an app that misbehaves in this way.

It's possible that different games are notifying that they want focus in different ways, so your player is reacting to say a game that doesn't request it, or one that's constantly whining that it wants focus. But it makes sense that the default behaviour is to shut up when something else starts playing, and then you can set it going again if you want

Also if the game is really demanding on your memory the system might start killing off other stuff that's running. Music players and stuff should get high priority, but not as high as whatever's in the foreground. The player might actually just drop what it's doing, so it's using less memory and can stick around in a stopped state instead of looking like it crashed

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

I've found that Unity games are really bad about pausing any other audio I have running.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
My current favourite audio thing is Eternal Card Game which even though I have all of it's sound switched off, lowers the volume of everything else to super low.

Stop taking control of volume away from me!

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Soft launched in Australia and Canada I believe.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I don't even hate Family Guy the way so many people do these days, but that just seems like a really pathetic cash grab, right?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Egg inc question: any prestiging tips? I seem to remember someone going into detail about a strategy they had that got them something like 4k soul eggs, but I can't find it.

I'm hopelessly addicted and no one's talking about it any more :negative:

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't even hate Family Guy the way so many people do these days, but that just seems like a really pathetic cash grab, right?

Well it is called Family Guy: Another Freakin' Mobile Game.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
cash grabs from shark-jumped franchises are cool as long as they give themselves an edgy self-aware title

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I just want to say thanks for the recommendation on Battlevoid: Harbringer. Probably the closest thing to FTL on my phone.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
A port of side scrolling kingdom builder Kingdom New Lands is now out for all Android devices (it was previously available as a Shield exclusive).

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 12, 2017

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

mrkillboy posted:

A port of side scrolling kingdom builder Kingdom New Lands is now out for Android.

Oh shiiiiiit. This is a good game, people.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
What kind of controller do you recommend for it?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
You can use touch controls (the Play Store description is out of date) but they feel a bit sluggish.

I'm playing it on a Galaxy S7 Edge and I feel the game doesn't run as well as it should. I also had to look up a beginner's guide because the game doesn't explain what most of the things in the environment do and I screwed up my first few games because of it. That said, once I got orientated I'm pretty hooked.

In other news, a really slick looking digital adaptation of the board game Clue/Cluedo is out in the Play Store.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 12, 2017

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Egg inc question: any prestiging tips? I seem to remember someone going into detail about a strategy they had that got them something like 4k soul eggs, but I can't find it.

I'm hopelessly addicted and no one's talking about it any more :negative:

How far are you in the game? Prestiging when you double your soul eggs works when you're starting out. After that, do it whenever you feel like you've stop progressing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

seravid posted:

How far are you in the game? Prestiging when you double your soul eggs works when you're starting out. After that, do it whenever you feel like you've stop progressing.

I'm at something like 13k soul eggs, and I can't raise the $1.4 nonillion to advance past Tachyon eggs. I've also upped my soul egg value to be 14% from epic research, I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Stop playing incremental games imo

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm at something like 13k soul eggs, and I can't raise the $1.4 nonillion to advance past Tachyon eggs. I've also upped my soul egg value to be 14% from epic research, I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.

Nope. There's really only two choices: idle harder or throw some cash at the devs. Back when I still played, I reached Dilithium with ~15k, though it took a while; if I were you, I'd start prestiging more often to speed things up.

The Duggler posted:

Stop playing incremental games imo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, I'm getting to that point.

Thought it's neat to kind of experiment with stuff like how long it takes for my farms to level up after just starting with one hatchling (hint: very quickly for the first few farms).

Anyway, yeah. I've pretty much only been playing this for the past week or so, but I have yet to check out Gunman Taco Truck, the updated Fallout Shelter (might not last long), and that Harbinger game.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

If you're impatient after a week then you're not gonna last with this game. This could be seen as a positive, though all this talk made me re-install it to see what's new and damned if I don't want to try to get those shiny new couple of eggs.

(if no one else cares about egg inc. chat, probably best to switch to PMs)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
My best tip for egg inc is to swipe the drones like fruit ninja instead of trying to tap them. The elite drones are worth a ton.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

butt dickus posted:

My best tip for egg inc is to swipe the drones like fruit ninja instead of trying to tap them. The elite drones are worth a ton.

:aaa:

I had no idea this was even possible.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Swiping is definitely the way to go so you don't accidentally tap on buildings.

Another pro-tip: upgrading your housing increases your farm value by a lot (upgrading the depot doesn't) and eventually becomes better value than research in order to reach the next egg.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

seravid posted:

(if no one else cares about egg inc. chat, probably best to switch to PMs)

i have never installed this game, and i generally don't like idle games, but for some reason i really enjoy reading itt about egg inc. i think it's because the subject of the game is so silly. basically, when i read posts about it, i imagine the goon is slowly descending into gollum-style hoarder madness, obsessing over their chickens and giant hoards of shiny precious eggs

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
There's a new Humble Bundle out featuring a buttload strategy games:

Epic War TD 2
MechCom 1
MechCom 2
Age of Civilizations
Anomaly Defenders ($3+)
Anomaly 2 ($3+)
Kingdom Rush Frontiers ($3+)
Kingdom Rush Origins ($3+)
Hero Generations ($3+)
Guild of Dungeoneering ($5+)
Worms 4 ($5+)

Plus redemption for a $5 IAP for Battle for the Galaxy

Sockmafia
Mar 4, 2015
Collect or Die ($2.99)
Drawtopia Premium ($2.99)
and
Survival Time Full($1.16)

are free on the Google Play store at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

mrkillboy posted:

There's a new Humble Bundle out featuring a buttload strategy games:

Epic War TD 2
MechCom 1
MechCom 2
Age of Civilizations
Anomaly Defenders ($3+)
Anomaly 2 ($3+)
Kingdom Rush Frontiers ($3+)
Kingdom Rush Origins ($3+)
Hero Generations ($3+)
Guild of Dungeoneering ($5+)
Worms 4 ($5+)

Plus redemption for a $5 IAP for Battle for the Galaxy

Dang, that's a good fuckin bundle for the most part.