Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Regy Rusty posted:

You can disable the beast abilities at will. I have the two you mentioned turned off until I need them.

... I could have done with knowing this earlier.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I ice blocked to the shrine before Eventide from the beach just because it's where I happened to be. I don't know if the inability to ice block while swimming was intentional for "balance" reasons or something relating to "well you have to use stamina while swimming. soooo" but if so, it's such a silly thing that I feel like they should have just allowed it. It's trivial to work around and doesn't add any difficulty, just irritation.

You can't use any of the runes while swimming, or whenever your feet aren't on firm ground (except for bombing while gliding). I don't mind because swimming around any big body of water is super boring in an open world game, see the first Xenoblade Chronicles and the big sea area.

That one is so easy to glide to I think anyone complaining about the ice block method is reaching. There's another shrine that you can glide directly from in one go.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FiftySeven posted:

... I could have done with knowing this earlier.

It took me far too long to realize it too, would've been nice if the game told you

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

What is in ability slot four of the menu under Options? I beat the game with all shrines without ever filling it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

Try to find another way around, usually there's some other place you can approach so you don't even have to climb, or so you can climb in short bursts with ledges.

But yeah the rain really is my least favorite part of this game. Its way too punishing.

The rain while climbing is brutal.

Those shrine puzzles that use the completely wack tilt function are what hell must be like.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I haven't had any problems with the tilt puzzles other than the one where you can just turn the whole thing over anyway.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

If you shoot an arrow through a fire arrow that's in flight, the arrow you shot will also catch fire.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
:ninja: Beware, fool, of the eye of Yiga :ninja:

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

:ninja: Beware, fool, of the eye of Yiga :ninja:

This part was awesome. gently caress the haters. You just have to realize that monsters can actually see you when they look to either side and food makes them gain laser focus.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I tried murdering them one at a time with sneakstrikes with a strong weapon after distracting them but I'd always get caught by the fourth or fifth guy. :( Had to cut my losses and just sneak through to progress.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I just spiderman'd my way through that entire area and used a banana on the last guy :V

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Every time I try to climb something it starts raining and I just have to leave the room for 10 minutes, so I'm guessing Zelda games just aren't for me.

I can't help but point out how loving massively stupid this is. Like, you can criticize the weapon durability disaster and you'd be drat right to, but at least one could justify it by saying that it "encourages variety" (lol, variety in never using my cool ice sword for fear of breaking it I guess). The slipping off surfaces while raining and lightning immediately striking when you have metal on you are just stupid Nintendo things that add nothing to the game except frustration.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
...Okay I'm hoping that was a super rare problem the game had loading in textures or something because I really hope what I experienced wasn't just a sign my Wii U is starting to fail me.

It was approaching the Desert Oasis area in the Gerudo section of the map and for some reason the ground surrounding the land formation just straight up lost all texture an then vanished. A simple re-load solved the problem and I did notice it was an area where one of those Tremor mini-bosses makes its home so maybe that could have been a reason but still now I'm super paranoid.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Can you carry any items into ganon's chamber? Like, said, a rock. Or a cucco.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I can only run into Guardians while trying to find a route to a town and have no recourse but to teleport out or die so many times before I give up again.

I'm trying to like this game I really am

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Alright, I'm totally stuck. Where's that last memory? You know the one, the picture of some random trees in some random forest. If I could at least get the correct area to look in that'd be swell.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

Link's Awakening would be the indisputable GOAT if not for interface/QoL problems really hampering the play experience in 2017, but it's still top 3. Majora's Mask 3D and Breath of the Wild round out the other 2 in no particular order.

Never before have I seen such a perfect and true opinion on this, the World Wide Web.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Ciaphas posted:

I can only run into Guardians while trying to find a route to a town and have no recourse but to teleport out or die so many times before I give up again.

If you can break line of sight they can't shoot you. Use trees and world geometry to your advantage!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

dragon enthusiast posted:

Alright, I'm totally stuck. Where's that last memory? You know the one, the picture of some random trees in some random forest. If I could at least get the correct area to look in that'd be swell.

Swamp down south.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kawabata posted:

I can't help but point out how loving massively stupid this is. Like, you can criticize the weapon durability disaster and you'd be drat right to, but at least one could justify it by saying that it "encourages variety" (lol, variety in never using my cool ice sword for fear of breaking it I guess). The slipping off surfaces while raining and lightning immediately striking when you have metal on you are just stupid Nintendo things that add nothing to the game except frustration.

What? You get like a seven second warning of your equipment sparking before you get struck by lightning. Also you don't slip off, just down a little. You want to go up in the rain, you can. Just count one two three four five six seven steps, JUMP, you'll slip a little, not as far as your jump, then do it again.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
When you get the camera, do you need to go back to where you got it and unload your film? I know you can delete pictures, but I thought they mentioned something else about pictures. Do you lose stuff from your compendium if you delete a picture? Also, is all armor useful to buy? Would stuff like soldier's armor that just gives armor get obsolete fast if you find stuff with more armor in the next village? Currently wearing the stealth chest and climbing hat, not sure if bonuses like that are worth giving up just for armor on the soldier's armor.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

dragon enthusiast posted:

If I recall, in that little patch of woods immediately to the northeast of the Bottomless Swamp.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Viewtiful Jew posted:

...Okay I'm hoping that was a super rare problem the game had loading in textures or something because I really hope what I experienced wasn't just a sign my Wii U is starting to fail me.

It was approaching the Desert Oasis area in the Gerudo section of the map and for some reason the ground surrounding the land formation just straight up lost all texture an then vanished. A simple re-load solved the problem and I did notice it was an area where one of those Tremor mini-bosses makes its home so maybe that could have been a reason but still now I'm super paranoid.

Don't feat the Molduga, just follow the teachings of Burt Gummer; stand on a rock and toss a round bomb onto the sand for it to chase while it rolls about. Bomb gets eaten, bomb gets detonated, you get stabby.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Ciaphas posted:

Where exactly are you trying to go?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When I see a guardian it's like "Hey free money walking right at me!"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm sad the Cave of Ordeals is DLC. Would be nice to see what they'd do re: weapons

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

FiftySeven posted:

Where exactly are you trying to go?

Frankly any of the four dots leading onward from talking to Impa about the four divine beasts

I know they represent the zora, rito, gerudo and goron but besides the goron one being the Rather Obvious Burning Mountain I have no idea which way to go to get to the zora, since I can't see any landmarks, and by the time I find anything I've been killed by another loving Guardian in a flat obstacle-free plain or swamp

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

parallelodad posted:

What? You get like a seven second warning of your equipment sparking before you get struck by lightning. Also you don't slip off, just down a little. You want to go up in the rain, you can. Just count one two three four five six seven steps, JUMP, you'll slip a little, not as far as your jump, then do it again.

By "immediately" I meant that it's just silly that lightning hits you in 10 seconds because you have metallic gear on. That you have to remove every time there's a storm. Again both lightnings and the slipping off are just annoyances that add absolutely nothing to gameplay. They kinda sorta look cool in the first 30 minutes of play, when you're showing BOTW to your rooftop friends I guess?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't feat the Molduga, just follow the teachings of Burt Gummer; stand on a rock and toss a round bomb onto the sand for it to chase while it rolls about. Bomb gets eaten, bomb gets detonated, you get stabby.

Oh I'm already a Molduga fighting master. And by master I mean I use Camel Power to instantly uproot it and start whacking it.

I'm just hoping the game freaked out while loading it due to me playing for like four-five hours in a row and it was just time for a rest instead of like, the GPU or graphics card starting to poo poo itself.

Edit: I had two really great moments when playing though.

First was being able to not having to kill a single enemy during the Three Brothers shrine quest.

The second was not losing a single heart doing the Song of Storms shrine quest while letting the lightning bolt surge right into Links veins.

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 13, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished. Loved the final boss and spending two hours running around Hyrule Castle loving up everyone's poo poo. Was funny how the two Lynel fights were more difficult than Ganon itself, though. Although the very final bit took me way longer than it should have because I didn't realise it hadn't equipped the Bow of Light automatically so I wasted like 20 bomb arrows first. And I never learned to parry or anything before armoured Calamity Ganon so that was some pretty on-the-spot training - although it's fairly easy and I definitely shoulda been doing it more the whole game.

Ending was fine. Even with the post-credits bit I would have liked more, but what we got was cool still. The King's journal made me more emotional than anything else, though.

I liked the theory mentioned some time before that this could spell the end of Ganon/medieval Zelda, but the ending as it is didn't fit with the former especially. They do say he gave up his resurrection powers, but he also just gets sealed away rather than completely killed or destroyed, and Zelda even says he's only gone "for now" in the ending somewhere. Also I definitely prefer the more human Ganons overall (especially Wind Waker), but that doesn't mean I have anything against this interpretation.

Overall, while I need more time and distance before I can decide if it's my personal OoT beater and therefore all-time favourite game, it definitely easily fits among the pantheon of the greatest achievements in the medium, and puts almost all other open-world games completely to shame. These past 9-10 days have been an incredible experience like I never thought I'd have with a game in my adult life, and I'm going to enjoy carrying on in my quest to upgrade all the armor, grab more seeds (not getting all 900 because I'm not a crazy person), and generally experiment and gently caress around with the physics. I can't believe Nintendo have both reinvented the Zelda franchise and mastered the sandbox genre so impeccably. Almost every second was a joy. And it being portable, even though I played like 90% on my living room TV, just makes it all the more joyous and impressive. Definitely worth the Switch money.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Calaveron posted:

I'm sad the Cave of Ordeals is DLC. Would be nice to see what they'd do re: weapons

Is there confirmation of this? Haven' tbeen in the thread between launch and today. Was wondering if there was any kind of boss rush or challenge post game or if we were just hoping for DLC. All of these armor upgrades that take time to grind don't really have content to put them to the test in.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Ciaphas posted:

Frankly any of the four dots leading onward from talking to Impa about the four divine beasts

I know they represent the zora, rito, gerudo and goron but besides the goron one being the Rather Obvious Burning Mountain I have no idea which way to go to get to the zora, since I can't see any landmarks, and by the time I find anything I've been killed by another loving Guardian in a flat obstacle-free plain or swamp

The Zora area is between Kakariko and Death Mountain. If it helps, warp to the Kakariko Village shrine, and climb the small mountain behind you. From the top of there due north, you should be able to see a Tower to uncover more of the map. Glide directly to it and when you get to the top, you will be pointed in the right direction by more Zora. I cant remember seeing a guardian at all in that area.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Nephzinho posted:

Is there confirmation of this? Haven' tbeen in the thread between launch and today. Was wondering if there was any kind of boss rush or challenge post game or if we were just hoping for DLC. All of these armor upgrades that take time to grind don't really have content to put them to the test in.

Yeah the DLC coming out summer is supposed to include Hard Mode, Cave of Trials/Ordeals and a "new map feature" whatever that means.
The Holiday DLC has new story content and a new dungeon

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pain of Mind posted:

When you get the camera, do you need to go back to where you got it and unload your film? I know you can delete pictures, but I thought they mentioned something else about pictures. Do you lose stuff from your compendium if you delete a picture? Also, is all armor useful to buy? Would stuff like soldier's armor that just gives armor get obsolete fast if you find stuff with more armor in the next village? Currently wearing the stealth chest and climbing hat, not sure if bonuses like that are worth giving up just for armor on the soldier's armor.

You don't need to worry about deleting things. Once something is in your compendium it is permanent. The only time you might regret deleting a picture is if it turns out you need it for a quest since the compendium doesn't count for those.

As for armor I'd say buy everything as money is cheap. The soldier armor is tied with one other set for the highest defense in the game* and that other set requires lots of rare materials to buy and upgrade. Therefore while that set eventually outclasses the soldier set since it also has special effects, the soldier set remains useful for a good while.

*There's one piece of armor that's even higher but it isn't part of a set.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

FiftySeven posted:

The Zora area is between Kakariko and Death Mountain. If it helps, warp to the Kakariko Village shrine, and climb the small mountain behind you. From the top of there due north, you should be able to see a Tower to uncover more of the map. Glide directly to it and when you get to the top, you will be pointed in the right direction by more Zora. I cant remember seeing a guardian at all in that area.

I flew in that general direction previously and ended up at a shrine that used magnesis and metal bowls (which was pretty neat actually), then died horribly walking from there to the tower to--guess what--a Guardian

On another tack, I found a shrine that had a "minor" combat challenge. Said challenge survived to like 10% hp before I ran completely out of weapons then proceeded to megalaser me to death

Basically this game is showing the Nintendo Hard to me in a way I no longer like

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also I'd probably enjoy this more if it didn't take so loving long to traverse the overworld, maybe it's just me not liking exploration but I find the whole thing breathtakingly dull (then frustrating when I get gibbed again)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I flew in that general direction previously and ended up at a shrine that used magnesis and metal bowls (which was pretty neat actually), then died horribly walking from there to the tower to--guess what--a Guardian

On another tack, I found a shrine that had a "minor" combat challenge. Said challenge survived to like 10% hp before I ran completely out of weapons then proceeded to megalaser me to death

Basically this game is showing the Nintendo Hard to me in a way I no longer like

Do more shrines imo. I found this game so tough at first, but if you focus on shrines early and build your stats up it gets way easier.

e: ok wow above post yeah this game just may not be for you

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Also I'd probably enjoy this more if it didn't take so loving long to traverse the overworld, maybe it's just me not liking exploration but I find the whole thing breathtakingly dull (then frustrating when I get gibbed again)

There is something pretty much everywhere. Whether its a seed or a shrine, there really isn't much dull space outside of a few hazardous zones that you technically don't need to even go to.

e; Also if you keep getting killed by Guardians, try not running away from them sprinting in a straight line. Look for terrain to block their LOS, make sure to run so the laser has to track you, it goes from wide circle aim to a dot to a high pitch beep and a brief disappearance of the targeting dot before shooting. Pop sprint right as the targeting dot disappears to dodge the beam.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ciaphas posted:

Maybe try following the roads to those places for now until you're better-equipped.