Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The thing with Jon Favreau and his problems making Iron Man 2 also happened early into the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

No it isn't. Superman is a mother's unconditional love, something that Batman has forgotten and Luthor never received. If you don't believe me, Luthor rails against his absent mother for not protecting him from blows, then Superman protects him from blows.

Interesting, never thought of it that way before, but I still don't think it quite fits. Luthor never railed against his absent mother, he railed against an unjust god for not saving him. In the case of Martha scene Superman is dying on the floor saying Marthas name, just like Thomas Wayne. I don't see how it can be interpreted as a mothers love.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

McCloud posted:

Interesting, never thought of it that way before, but I still don't think it quite fits. Luthor never railed against his absent mother, he railed against an unjust god for not saving him. In the case of Martha scene Superman is dying on the floor saying Marthas name, just like Thomas Wayne. I don't see how it can be interpreted as a mothers love.

Are you also gonna ignore the Bruce Wayne nightmare where his mother is a giant, monstrous bat?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of Superman, is Henry Cavill trolling or what?

Because Armie Hammer, who is frequently mentioned as a favorite to play Hal Jordan, is taller than Cavill.

He's not talking about height.

Black Bones posted:

They're right.

Really tho, I don't know how someone my age-group could look at Civil War and Suicide Squad and decide to go see Civil War, compared to the insanity that Suicide Squad is.

The D in Detroit fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 15, 2017

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
"It's difficult to write character because of X. And needs to be relatable to me." Is the stupidest horseshit in superhero comics. Get a writer worth a drat and enjoy the fantastic. I don't get it. Next someone is gonna say Black Panther can't work because he's a king of the most advanced nation on earth in Africa.

Here's why Aquaman is not as popular. His powers are a limited retread of 4+ other JL heroes and he has had a ton of jokes out on him for something like he talks to fish as a distinguishing feature power and the natural inclination from teens who grow up to be writers is to serious him up and be badass him which is failure. He doesn't stand out and distinguish himself in personality or otherwise.

Watch Brave and Bold Dad Aquaman and tell me he doesn't have a relatable fun personality or some such that would resonate and make people want to watch.

https://youtu.be/fnA8znwBPxI

https://youtu.be/PZafdfgjgtM

https://youtu.be/61WqQ2GzojQ

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I say it too often, but I also think "Aquaman" is the lamest name for a major superhero. Like if Jason Momoa can call himself that and make it sound badass then he should just be given the Oscar right after opening weekend, don't even wait for the Oscar ceremonies. But I don't think he or anyone else can do it. Call him Arthur, call him King of Atlantis, whatever. But Aquaman is just so bad. And that name weighs the character down.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Are you also gonna ignore the Bruce Wayne nightmare where his mother is a giant, monstrous bat?

I read that more as his obsession with being Batman had literally eaten his humanity and all that was good in his life and mutated into a monster. I did not recall the monstrous Bat being in her grave specifically, but after a quick youtube visit, turns out you're right, it was Martha's grave. I'm still not convinced Snyder was making a point about a lack of mothers love, nor that Superman takes the role of a mothers love. I mean, I'm not saying its wrong, just that I don't think there's enough to support the theory.

I'm a bit dumb though so :shrug:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I would like to see Martha Kent baby Bruce Wayne in Justice League like pack him a lunch and knit him a Bat Sweater and it brings a tear to his eye and a smile.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It's not so much that superman is representative of a mother's love as it is that his mother not dying helped him not become a colossal fuckup, like the film's bad guys. He still had to struggle with his identity and grow as a person, but he always had someone there to support him. Batman's closest emotional bond is with his servant.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Who is his Dad on many levels but like all bratty non adjusted teenagers he has to rebel and spite him

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gatts posted:

I would like to see Martha Kent baby Bruce Wayne in Justice League like pack him a lunch and knit him a Bat Sweater and it brings a tear to his eye and a smile.

I would love a scene with Bruce turning to Martha for advice.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

MacheteZombie posted:

a love scene with Bruce turning to Martha for advice.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That would be a better troll than the when Bruce went out with Lois Lane on the cartoon show.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of Superman, is Henry Cavill trolling or what?

Because Armie Hammer, who is frequently mentioned as a favorite to play Hal Jordan, is taller than Cavill.

He has gone about that for a while

Also, is adorable that he named his dog Kal :allears:

Anyways, is going to be interesting if both the Matrix and Tron's reboot pan out, if only to have two different takes on the "live inside a computer" idea.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lobok posted:

I say it too often, but I also think "Aquaman" is the lamest name for a major superhero.

I don't know, Iron Fist is pretty far up there, too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh, apparently Affleck just got out of rehab for alcoholism, which might explain why he stepped down from directing The Batman.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lobok posted:

I say it too often, but I also think "Aquaman" is the lamest name for a major superhero. Like if Jason Momoa can call himself that and make it sound badass then he should just be given the Oscar right after opening weekend, don't even wait for the Oscar ceremonies. But I don't think he or anyone else can do it. Call him Arthur, call him King of Atlantis, whatever. But Aquaman is just so bad. And that name weighs the character down.

People are taking Captain America seriously (enough), it just takes the right approach.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alfred, I'll be gone for a few months training with ninjas high up in the mountains.

Very good, sir. How shall I explain your absence to the press and your adoring fans?

Tell them I've checked myself into rehab. I go to enough parties that no one will question it.

McSpanky posted:

People are taking Captain America seriously (enough), it just takes the right approach.

Captain America is corny, not outright terrible, and at least there's a reason why he is called that.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 15, 2017

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I can't really imagine a new matrix movie being better than the original in anything other than special effects.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

The Marvel/TV director thing made sense in the period when you had Whedon having just made Avengers and Marvel hiring Alan Taylor and the Russos to do phase-two movies. It ignored people like Kenneth Branagh and Joe Johnston, and now it definitely doesn't stand up to their next four movies coming from James Gunn, Taika Waititi, Ryan Coogler, and Jon Watts.

Branaugh was the outlier.

Faverau did a bunch TV, Swingers, Elf, and the quasi Jumanji sequel (and had problems with the studio by the time of IM2), Johnston is the most workman of workmen directors ever, possibly, who is always on budget, under time, and does what the studio wants, Whedon is TV and Serenity, Alan Taylor and the Russos are TV.

Simultaneously, DC was working with Nolan (critical director darling), Snyder (who had only done film, pretty much how he wanted, extremely stylistically), and bringing in people like Affleck (Academy Award winning director), David Ayer (who wrote critically acclaimed stuff but directed a bunch of gritty, more "personal" stuff) to direct their movies. Oh, and Martin Campbell, haha, who is Joe Johnston 2.0.

It was a huge gulf, and that mostly also explains the difference in press and conflict around productions. When Marvel hired someone with a similar track record to a Nolan or Snyder (Wright), he left.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
What if the twist in the new grittier Matrix reboot is that reality is just a simulation that God plugged all of humanity into and the human race needs to build a digital world to plug themselves into in order to escape and gain free will.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Darko posted:

It was a huge gulf, and that mostly also explains the difference in press and conflict around productions. When Marvel hired someone with a similar track record to a Nolan or Snyder (Wright), he left.

I love Edgar Wright, but his track record and level of experience (both overall and dealing with different studios) is nowhere even close to Nolan. He is much closer to Favreau than Nolan.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What if the twist in the new grittier Matrix reboot is that reality is just a simulation that God plugged all of humanity into and the human race needs to build a digital world to plug themselves into in order to escape and gain free will.

What if the twist is the Matrix was intended to come about by humans all along in a kind of quasi-forced evolution so that the people who escaped had higher intelligence, more skills, and a greater penchant for subterranean rave orgies?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I love Edgar Wright, but his track record and level of experience (both overall and dealing with different studios) is nowhere even close to Nolan. He is much closer to Favreau than Nolan.

Before Batman Begins, Nolan's only big movies were Insomnia and Memento.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

a love scene with Bruce turning to Martha for advice.

Clark: *calls Batman*

*click*

Clark: "...Mom, why are you answering Batman's phone?"

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 15, 2017

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

BvS2

Superman: "It doesn't have to come to this."
Batman: "Hh. The only time you mattered was when you were dead!"
Superman: "That's a bit childish, Bruce."
Batman: "I banged your mother. I hosed Martha!"
Superman: "...really?"
Batman: "BURN! I'm so awesome. So hardcore and cool. I planned this out and prepared for a decade."
Superman: *rolls eyes hard and dies*
Batman: "I win."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lobok posted:

What if the twist is the Matrix was intended to come about by humans all along in a kind of quasi-forced evolution so that the people who escaped had higher intelligence, more skills, and a greater penchant for subterranean rave orgies?

I'd unironically like to see a Terminator Genisys-style twist where "THE MACHINES WERE TRYING TO SAVE US THE WHOLE TIME. MAN IS THE TRUE SOULLESS KILLING MACHINE" is the theme.

I can't see them making a better version of the original Matrix, so just go crazy with it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There's like five or six different versions of Aquaman, all of which are interesting and could make a good movie. The fact that he's so tied to the ocean isn't a bad thing: the ocean is loving awesome and has fascinated humanity for thousands of years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyQFnzcLE5A

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Darko posted:

Branaugh was the outlier.

Faverau did a bunch TV, Swingers, Elf, and the quasi Jumanji sequel (and had problems with the studio by the time of IM2), Johnston is the most workman of workmen directors ever, possibly, who is always on budget, under time, and does what the studio wants, Whedon is TV and Serenity, Alan Taylor and the Russos are TV.

Simultaneously, DC was working with Nolan (critical director darling), Snyder (who had only done film, pretty much how he wanted, extremely stylistically), and bringing in people like Affleck (Academy Award winning director), David Ayer (who wrote critically acclaimed stuff but directed a bunch of gritty, more "personal" stuff) to direct their movies. Oh, and Martin Campbell, haha, who is Joe Johnston 2.0.

You're bending the history of this a bit. DC was not working with David Ayer (Suicide Squad, 2016) simultaneously with Marvel working with Jon Favreau (Iron Man and Iron Man 2, 2008, 2010).

Also, you're shifting the point being discussed. Joe Johnston may be a journeyman director, but he's not a TV guy. Jon Favreau had directed two episodes of a TV show at the point he made Iron Man: as a director, he was a film guy, not a TV guy. And like him or not, Louis Leterrier (The Incredible Hulk) is a film guy.

So that's my point: there is something to the fact that Marvel has looked to TV people (Whedon, the Russos) for the main Avengers line, but the claim that Marvel uses TV directors was always a bit overblown, and has faded in what relevance it had now that James Gunn, Taika Waititi, Ryan Coogler, and Jon Watts are making movies for them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The MSJ posted:

Justice League character guide:

This is pretty funny in a racist way when you think about how The Flash, with his superpower being RUNNING FAST, and Cyborg, whose power is literally being a COMPUTER, are transposed because, hey, the black guy played football in college.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Drifter posted:

This is pretty funny in a racist way when you think about how The Flash, with his superpower being RUNNING FAST, and Cyborg, whose power is literally being a COMPUTER, are transposed because, hey, the black guy played football in college.

I mean, one is a nerd scientist in the TV show people watch and seems to be in the preview we've seen so far, and one is presented as a football player who has cyborg parts attached to him. But sure, do your thing, I guess.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Marvel movies looking like an episode of Grey's Anatomy aided the TV people narrative. Also nothing changes from movie to movie, like a bad tv show. Marvel earned that reputation.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I thought the Lantern was going to be John Stewart this time?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

hiddenriverninja posted:

He might show up eventually but as long as Geoff Johns is in charge of the TV/Movie/etc division Hal Jordan will always be the primary Green Lantern.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

hiddenriverninja posted:

There's going to be multiple Lanterns and Hal will be the "main" character of a trio of "main" Lanterns.

If there is only one Lantern in Justice League, then it will be Hal.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
wrong thread oops

e: content

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 15, 2017

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

There's going to be multiple Lanterns and Hal will be the "main" character of a trio of "main" Lanterns.

If there is only one Lantern in Justice League, then it will be Hal.

I'd have rather it had been Kyle, Guy and John where they are to investigate a Lantern gone rogue who is killing other Lanterns where the twist is that is Hal and not Sinestro and whoop he's gone Parallax.

Starring the only black actor in Hollywood for major blockbuster starring roles that ever comes to mind to sad people Idris Elba, John McGinley and JGL.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Lobok posted:

Waterboy , H20dude, long hair swim bro , swimmy mc.pokestick.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I still don't see how Aquaman is inherently a stupider name than, like, Batman.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Dead parent man, broody Mc.nodad , rich white orphan man , creepy orphaning kids dude, spandex underwear rubber gimp suit man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's because of flat-lander prejudice against names of Atlantean-sounding origin.

They've done studies to show that implicit bias is a thing that impacts decision making even if the person is not consciously biased.

• Locked thread