Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah I bet they feel silly about all this viral publicity they just generated.
"No such thing as negative attention" doesn't exactly apply to movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Echo Chamber posted:

"No such thing as negative attention" doesn't exactly apply to movies.

I'd say this is especially true of a film that's a modern remake of a cult classic. You want to get as many old viewers in as you can (without negatively effecting new customers, naturally).

And bad publicity will kinda do both.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure any negative attention that is detrimental to this film for an army of senpai weeaboos will be overtaken by positive attention generated by Scarlett Johanssons massive titties.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Ramagamma posted:

I'm pretty sure any negative attention that is detrimental to this film for an army of senpai weeaboos will be overtaken by positive attention generated by Scarlett Johanssons massive titties.

Ummmm if they casted an ACTUAL typical japenese woman it would get a whole lot more titty-attention:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ramagamma posted:

It's PG-13

Greenplastic posted:

Ummmm if they casted an ACTUAL typical japenese woman it would get a whole lot more titty-attention:

People forget that Japanese women like Hitomi Tanaka, Shoko Goto, or Rin Aoki exist.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Yeah well if Winter Soldier is anything to go by that won't be too much of a problem.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Echo Chamber posted:

Screw this movie, but the official meme generator is awesome and has totally not backfired.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Ramagamma posted:

I don't give a drat about anime but whitewashing is terrible.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C654xdBU0AAVrV2.jpg

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Do people just hate Scarlett Johansson because shes so beautiful? That's got to be it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Ramagamma posted:

Do people just hate Scarlett Johansson because shes so beautiful? That's got to be it.
I think the problem is that the movie whitewashes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
But I've already seen Ghost in the Shell wig ScarJo.

It was called Lucy.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
ScarJo was on track to be a leading action heroine, which is obviously something incredibly rare in the industry.

Unfortunately, she's made some career choices that happen at the expense of others, which is not the best narrative for a woman commanding a high salary in action movies.

I don't think it's that she's particularly bad compared to others (Emma Stone, Rooney Mara, Tina Fey, wev), but that she's not the kind of action actress one could have hoped for.

Also, her acting's pretty bad and not making things better, which is a bummer when someone else could have gotten this gig.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

ScarJo was on track to be a leading action heroine, which is obviously something incredibly rare in the industry.

She's been in roughly one high-grossing action movie per year since 2010 while continuing to do other movies in different genres, about the only woman she's in competition with is Charlize Theron.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

I don't give a drat about anime but whitewashing is terrible.

No, it's not.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

I identify as an Asian robot.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
She's pretty and seems like a pretty okay person compared to other actresses but she's no great shakes at acting. And since GITS is a Japanese story about Japan, even the idea of adapting the movie for a Western audience in the first place is a little nonsensical.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think only a small minority of people in the nation that elected Donald Trump care about whitewashing.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Cheetowashing

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think only a small minority of people in the nation that elected Donald Trump care about whitewashing.
It's a deal-breaker for more and more people to who would otherwise still pay to see a movie.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

ufarn posted:

Unfortunately, she's made some career choices that happen at the expense of others, which is not the best narrative for a woman commanding a high salary in action movies.

I don't think it's that she's particularly bad compared to others (Emma Stone, Rooney Mara, Tina Fey, wev), but that she's not the kind of action actress one could have hoped for.

Also, her acting's pretty bad and not making things better, which is a bummer when someone else could have gotten this gig.

What do you mean? the sodastream stuff?

Or being sidelined as a tertiary marvel character?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Paragon8 posted:

What do you mean? the sodastream stuff?

Or being sidelined as a tertiary marvel character?
In terms of career choices? Just this GitS thing and her doing a weird new movie where she and her (mainly white) friends kill a stripper as some weird comedic hook.

She's probably at the peak of her career, so few actresses are in a position to choose their work like she is.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

ufarn posted:

In terms of career choices? Just this GitS thing and her doing a weird new movie where she and her (mainly white) friends kill a stripper as some weird comedic hook.

She's probably at the peak of her career, so few actresses are in a position to choose their work like she is.

eh, GitS might be the biggest pay check an actress makes this year. I imagine the comedy is an easy pay check too. I do think ScarJo does take some interesting projects though. It's been a while but Lost in Translation is great and I enjoyed Don Jon.

I also think its hilarious that she does a nude role in an art film in the least erotic fashion considering how much of a commodity her sex appeal is.

Margot Robbie is going to end up being ScarJo with the smaller indie stuff sanded off.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Why do people get so upset about fictional characters being a different skin color? Remember how butt hurt people got about the Fantastic Four casting?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

HIJK posted:

She's pretty and seems like a pretty okay person compared to other actresses but she's no great shakes at acting. And since GITS is a Japanese story about Japan, even the idea of adapting the movie for a Western audience in the first place is a little nonsensical.

How do you feel about The Bad Sleep Well and Ran?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

UmOk posted:

Why do people get so upset about fictional characters being a different skin color? Remember how butt hurt people got about the Fantastic Four casting?
False equivalence. Michael B. Jordan wasn't whitewashing.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Echo Chamber posted:

False equivalence. Michael B. Jordan wasn't whitewashing.

Huh?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

DeimosRising posted:

How do you feel about The Bad Sleep Well and Ran?

I have not seen those movies. To be fair I have not seen most movies.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

It sounds like Echo Chamber is using the quota system definition of equality, wherein one must get offended even if the author and Japanese audiences aren't. IIRC it's explicitly said in SAC that the Major has changed bodies multiple times over the course of her life.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Different people were complaining. It was white internet bros crying "BUT THE SOURCE MATERIAL" about Fantastic Four.

In GITS, the problem isn't that a character's race was merely apparently "changed" with ScarJo. It was that it was whitewashed.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I've heard on the internet that people in Japan don't care about the whitewashing. Maybe they don't. But living in Korea, my friends here are super unhappy about the major no longer being Asian.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

DeusExMachinima posted:

IIRC it's explicitly said in SAC that the Major has changed bodies multiple times over the course of her life.

Out of context; In SAC, The Major was explicitly turned into a cyborg as a young child, and she's changed bodies because she was literally changing into bodies appropriate to her biological age.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxUoqIrXd9E

Adam Savage geeks out over some more stuff from Weta's prop department.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Bugblatter posted:

I've heard on the internet that people in Japan don't care about the whitewashing. Maybe they don't. But living in Korea, my friends here are super unhappy about the major no longer being Asian.

Japan's reaction means jack poo poo. The problem is that asian-american actors (and other non-whites) don't get enough opportunities and roles that would normally go to them are instead given to white actors. Japan, having it's own movie industry, clearly doesn't have that problem so of course they don't care.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Japan's reaction means jack poo poo. The problem is that asian-american actors (and other non-whites) don't get enough opportunities and roles that would normally go to them are instead given to white actors. Japan, having it's own movie industry, clearly doesn't have that problem so of course they don't care.

I agree. I'm just saying the idea that members of Asia don't mind is also false. Also, I think the belief that no one in Japan cares is based off a single youtube? Even if the larger Japanese population is well represented by that video, east-Asia isn't cool with it as a whole. It's not just an issue of jobs either, but also just of representation of one's race in cinema.

Although, an important part of the conversation is that, in the current environment of large-budget films, the alternative of doing this same movie with a Japanese actress doesn't exist. The choices they had were: Whitewash, make a smaller budget adaptation, or don't make the film. There wasn't an Asian actress prominent enough to not lose, at least, the European market.

Not saying that makes the choice they went with okay. Just saying the job, as it is with this script, was never going to an actress outside the prominence of Johannson, Portman, or Theron (All of whom are white).

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

UmOk posted:

They don't as a general rule of thumb, if one of the characters in game of thrones was a different colour from the novel version then no one would care, the problem with Ghost in the Shell is you are juggling with the feeling of a bunch of emotionally stunted, under-developed and child-like weirdos (anime fans) who get unbearably upset if someones touches the source material that comforts them though life.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The American anime fanbase has really not had an issue with it though, it's been more mainstream publications that have been vocal. So far as I can tell, any of the more anime oriented sites and communities are happy to accept that she's a robot and can look like anything.

The issue is not that there was a deviation from the source, as it's an obvious example of how hard it is for most minorities to get high profile representation in media.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Because racist anime fanboys who lack self awareness are trying to posit the people who are not supporting this commercial product as the "real" basement-dwelling, anime neckbeards. If that doesn't work, they'll go turn 180 degrees and claim that the critics are not "the real fans" and can't have a legitimate opinion.

It's basic tribalism "defining the enemy" stuff, rather than actually talking about how they literally tried using CGI yellow face in post-production.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

"Echo Chamber" posted:

talking about how they literally tried using CGI yellow face in post-production.

wait, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mithaldu posted:

wait, what?

Anonymous sources claimed that at some point Paramount/Dream Works had someone check to see if they could CGI the white actors to look more East Asian, but didn't move past the see what it would look like stage. Paramount/Dream Works denies that they did this, claiming

Screencrush.com posted:

A test was done related to a specific scene for a background actor which was ultimately discarded. Absolutely no visual effects tests were conducted on Scarlett’s character and we have no future plans to do so.

• Locked thread