Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Not a Step posted:

The problem is this requires universities and other venues to have spines and actually pay attention to what is happening, and, well, good luck with that.

It's not that they aren't paying attention to what's happening, it's that universities (like everything else in American society) are increasingly run by business dipshits rather than academics.

They see higher education as a business first and don't want to alienate potential customers - students and parents - by taking hardline stances on anything. It's a calculated lack of spine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

wizard on a water slide posted:

It's not that they aren't paying attention to what's happening, it's that universities (like everything else in American society) are increasingly run by business dipshits rather than academics.

They see higher education as a business first and don't want to alienate potential customers - students and parents - by taking hardline stances on anything. It's a calculated lack of spine.

kid, i think you may have a future in politics! :tipshat:

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

they already had a conservative kid genius, then he hit puberty and turned into a liberal

It's testament to how dumb Ben Shapiro is that he still stuck with conservative punditry once he hit puberty at age 30.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

paranoid randroid posted:

yo Jacobin you of all people should know that you cant out-argue fascists because their ideology is intentionally incoherent

I've found what I like to call "ironic" stalinism works well.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/RealPeerReview/status/841594454658170880

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

They have discovered the meme studies courses!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Crowsbeak posted:

I've found what I like to call "ironic" stalinism works well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADcQKDjb0_o

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

They have discovered the meme studies courses!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TDC9s-Kt-8

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

And here I wondered where agent smith went

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

rudatron posted:

But haven't parts of historical materialism basically been adopted by historiography anyway? I mean, that's what 'trends and forces' is.

In the most banal sense that historicism still exists, sure.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I am a trained anthropologist (from ASU, LOL). I have background in theories of cultural transmission. That abstract makes absolutely no loving sense to me whatsoever and I am mad at ASU for letting them publish whatever the gently caress that paper entails.

Also, I am p.sure mathematics and physics wouldn't really benefit from critical feminist theory, and the authors show they don't know poo poo about poo poo by suggesting history is a frontier for it (seriously, history, anthropology, archaeology, sociology and even to an extent psychology all have fairly notable critical feminist work).

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

KiteAuraan posted:

I am a trained anthropologist (from ASU, LOL). I have background in theories of cultural transmission. That abstract makes absolutely no loving sense to me whatsoever and I am mad at ASU for letting them publish whatever the gently caress that paper entails.

Also, I am p.sure mathematics and physics wouldn't really benefit from critical feminist theory, and the authors show they don't know poo poo about poo poo by suggesting history is a frontier for it (seriously, history, anthropology, archaeology, sociology and even to an extent psychology all have fairly notable critical feminist work).

why are you carefully weighing the sophistry of mra rhetoric?
i prefer spicy shrimp tacos, and getting drunk on margaritas
join me :yum:

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

KiteAuraan posted:

It wasn't published by ASU, it was published by "Géneros: Multidisciplinary Journal of Gender Studies", which I've never heard of but judging by the name probably isn't particularly rigorous. It's not like the university can stop its faculty from publishing some bullshit in an online journal.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

He's not.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Thug Lessons posted:

It wasn't published by ASU, it was published by "Géneros: Multidisciplinary Journal of Gender Studies", which I've never heard of but judging by the name probably isn't particularly rigorous. It's not like the university can stop its faculty from publishing some bullshit in an online journal.

Yeah I looked into the journal and, goddamn LOL.

I've also never even heard of the professor, though granted I never really hung around with the gender studies people too much.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

That markov chain rattling purports to be the work of dangerously woke feminists hoping to go viral

E: Again the difference is left wing idiots is that they publish nonsense in fake academic journals for attention, while the right wing screeches on youtube that maybe rounding people up and putting them in camps is a good idea

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 10:08 on Mar 16, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Darkman Fanpage posted:

he's rught about his complaints at least. israelis are some if the most obnoxious people to deal with.

all the Israelis I've known have been pretty chill, although tbh it's a small sample

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

all the Israelis I've known have been pretty chill, although tbh it's a small sample

lol that's because you're not the target of their assholery. Bring up the Palestinian cause to them, pretend you support Palestinian resistance to occupation and tell them to tear down the apartheid wall and see what happens next.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
shouldn't you be collecting your blood money welfare check from the Saudi government or something?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

shouldn't you be collecting your blood money welfare check from the Saudi government or something?

Shouldnt you eat a dick? preferably after you leave retard school. I'll pay for your books with my big dick welfare checks.

See? we can both launch unsolicited attacks against each other, you didnt need to attack me out of the blue.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
ITT Al-Saqr is baffled someone had a negative reaction to his unsolicited shrieking hatred for strangers based on their nationality

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

*autism busters logo appears on screen*

*spergo-1 pulls up, tires squealing*

you dont need to be a genius to know many israelis are poo poo since they reelected a corrupt warmonger, similarly it isnt surprising when people react poorly when complete strangers belligerently delve into sensitive political topics

*puts you two into the 'tism containment unit*

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Israel sucks balls

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

ITT Al-Saqr is baffled someone had a negative reaction to his unsolicited shrieking hatred for strangers based on their nationality

Every single palestinian on the face of the earth plus tons of countries around it paid the price for what those racist colonizers did, they conscripted for it, and they voted for it, and choose not to change anything about it. I will 'screech' hatred till my face turns blue or until human rights is given to the Palestinians. you can suck my dick if you dont like it.

All I pointed out was that their 'Chillness' tends to stop at treating palestinians like human beings, and then you launched a meaningless tirade against me.

*Puts on Sperg Sunglasses, rides Cool Autism Mustang Into the Sunset*

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 11:26 on Mar 16, 2017

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

they already had a conservative kid genius, then he hit puberty and turned into a liberal

stormfront founder's son (remove spaces and apostrophes and this could be a scandinavian surname)?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse circa 1988: "Wow how judgemental. Maybe you should meet some South Africans before you assume they're bad people."

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/perlmutations/status/841489171537678337

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvfO94SA4Mk

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Vincent Van Goatse circa 1988: "Wow how judgemental. Maybe you should meet some South Africans before you assume they're bad people."

nah

idiot

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
stfu bitch!!!!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

true, there was still a Left among White South Africans

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/842361071834923010?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Speaking of which. Everyone should see Tomi Lahren getting wrecked by Trevor Noah. That was the moment I went from being wishy washy on Trevor to loving him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2xv4fba65U

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Shouldnt you eat a dick? preferably after you leave retard school. I'll pay for your books with my big dick welfare checks.

:iceburn:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

Speaking of which. Everyone should see Tomi Lahren getting wrecked by Trevor Noah. That was the moment I went from being wishy washy on Trevor to loving him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2xv4fba65U

err but trevor noah didnt wreck her he pandered her and then like a two bit liberal he went out to a drink with her.

you want to see a real wrecking?

Here:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW6c5RxYWE8

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

The same thing is said by foreigners about Americans they've met too, but that doesn't mean people don't have valid complaints about the way our country effects the world through its policy. Like, if someone said "Americans bombed my son's birthday party with a flying murderbot and killed my dad," and a Dutch guy popped up to add "Yeah, but the Americans I know are pretty nice and they have good barbecue," they'd probably, at best, think that guy was staggeringly thick.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Al-Saqr posted:

err but trevor noah didnt wreck her he pandered her and then like a two bit liberal he went out to a drink with her.

you want to see a real wrecking?

Here:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW6c5RxYWE8

Dude, that last line about "not seeing color" literally left her speechless. I really don't consider it a wrecking when Lahren wasn't even there. Trevor threw her own stupidity right into her face and she had no idea what to do.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

Dude, that last line about "not seeing color" literally left her speechless. I really don't consider it a wrecking when Lahren wasn't even there. Trevor threw her own stupidity right into her face and she had no idea what to do.

hmmm I guess you're right.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Trever Noah DESTROYS racist conservative Toni Lehren

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

the only thing noah wrecked was a decent show

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

*freeze frame*

nnow that's what I call a :siren:Linguistic Killshot:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

The Kingfish posted:

Trever Noah DESTROYS racist conservative Toni Lehren

Tammi Lasagna ANNIHILATES Klansman Cock.