Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
The jetpack is cool but the Mass Effect series didn't really need platform jumping segments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the jetpack isn't even particularly jetpacky. it's just a big jump and big dodge button.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

You know, earlier in the thread when you were talking about being part of video game history I was kinda laughing at you, but having now seen some poo poo, this does feel like it's the Trump presidency of video games. lol

It really makes gamers everywhere, whether they follow the industry, are in it, or just don't care and play whatever looks good to them; how in the world this thing actually gets green lit for launch into the wild. The people that do love the industry and the people/communities/games that love quality products, should feel insulted right now that executives at EA think our gaming community/their consumers are so gullible and stupid that we will buy anything they poo poo out, and that is readily the case here when they obviously know this thing is a laughing stock of a video game, but hold their consumer base in such low regard, they think/know it will sell anyway.

This release as it stands, is a testament to how they view us. Which is now to the point where they think they can get away with releasing something * This * bad, and it doesn't even phase them. This game is a direct reflection of how EA views their customers. (And obviously how they animate!)

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So is the Pathfinder supposed to be the Shadowbroker but even less cool?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
please god don't take Utnayan seriously. just don't.

Like sure the game probably sucks. but don't encourage him.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
also from what I played the facial animations seemed fine? people talk about the faces being paralyzed but my custom male ryder was emoting properly the entire time i was able to play last night

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

VideoGames posted:

I have not. I don't have any early access accesses.
I am excited to play it, however. The really weird animations make me giggle and like I said in a different thread, it's causing me to feel its a B-Movie Space Opera from the 50s with wobbly sets. I'm excited to play it as that.

It's definitely funny to see all the corners they cut, but even B-movie bad itself is a hard line to toe because funny bad needs to be consistent. And I need the full game to know if it can keep me laughing at it more than rolling my eyes.

Bossie Lott
Nov 21, 2010
Maybe it changes later on, but from what I've seen so far the setting and storyline seems like such a massive waste of potential. Not only is going to a completely different galaxy a pretty exciting prospect but the idea of an adventure game in this frontier type setting is inherently interesting. Not just for the exploration aspect, but the social and political issues it would be able to explore with this society that is now stranded in this distant galaxy, strangers in a strange land, immigrants in a potentially hostile world, completely separate and independent from the culture it came from etc. But Andromeda doesn't seem to be interested in most of this and isn't executing on any of it well.

Instead it seems we're getting more ancient awoken evil and giant lightning vortex portals in the sky.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

also from what I played the facial animations seemed fine? people talk about the faces being paralyzed but my custom male ryder was emoting properly the entire time i was able to play last night

i even had eyebrow animations so confused++ about some of the complaints i'm seeing, it seems to only apply to sara ryder

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
what is with the weird retrospective poo poo-tinted glasses when people need to act as if andromeda looks good

the ME series was regularly hailed for its voice acting cast which was made up of all-stars like keith david and fred tatasciore and really talented newcomers like brandon keener

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Bossie Lott posted:

Maybe it changes later on, but from what I've seen so far the setting and storyline seems like such a massive waste of potential. Not only is going to a completely different galaxy a pretty exciting prospect but the idea of an adventure game in this frontier type setting is inherently interesting. Not just for the exploration aspect, but the social and political issues it would be able to explore with this society that is now stranded in this distant galaxy, strangers in a strange land, immigrants in a potentially hostile world, completely separate and independent from the culture it came from etc. But Andromeda doesn't seem to be interested in most of this and isn't executing on any of it well.

Instead it seems we're getting more ancient awoken evil and giant lightning vortex portals in the sky.

Traveling to an entirely new galaxy only to touch down on the first planet you visit and immediately get into a gunfight with Krogan analogues was the point my eyeballs almost rolled out of my head.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Dexo posted:

please god don't take Utnayan seriously. just don't.

Like sure the game probably sucks. but don't encourage him.

It is absolutely 100% true. What type of company * Willingly * releases a game of this state into the wild, cancels the multiplayer beta, wraps a media noose around the outlets until a week before, shows very limited game play up until now, all to protect day one sales and basically screw their customer over.

This is the truth. This is what EA did. This is what a lot of companies do. Honest question, why put up with it?

Bossie Lott
Nov 21, 2010

i even had eyebrow animations so confused++ about some of the complaints i'm seeing, it seems to only apply to sara ryder

Even if he emotes I'd hesitate to call it "proper." Characters either have their faces shot up with so much botox and silicone that they're incapable of facial movement, or they have incredibly poor facial animation which looks incredibly unnatural or plain frightening.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

this is the gift that keeps on giving. in addition to the already pointed out:
  • disinterested gaze of the woman
  • krogan missing the headbutt
  • no chair
  • bottle on the table breaking (not breaking)

i just noticed that the lady isn't holding the bottle by the neck but by the body. she's slamming a glass bottle into someone's face with the palm of her hand

Funny story, that's actually the better way to really hurt someone with a bottle. That is, using the body of the bottle rather than the neck. The bottle doesn't break as easy and you can get a more solid hit, because a broken bottle is kinda poo poo as a weapon.

What you don't then do, if you HAVE broken the bottle, is just... I don't know, drop it? Let it disintegrate like the stuff on the table?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I played some early access yesterday. I don't follow development nearly as closely as most here, and my views are mixed on it. The animations are pretty bad so far, and even the voice acting and direction doesn't seem to be that great. It's like 600 years of cryosleep has sucked all the emotion out of these people. I haven't gotten to combat yet, so I can see what people are saying about the poor animations. This isn't Witcher 3, or even DAI. The character creator was also pretty lame; though I could forego a creator for the "stock" character if he or she was done well. Sound is good; the environment visuals are all pretty good, but one silly quibble from the prologue is that if they've all been in cryosleep for over 600 years who is watering and pruning the plants that are strewn about the ark. I haven't done any combat yet, but enjoyed the "This isn't home." scene on their first planetfall. Also, I hope the others call dear little Scotty out on family nepotism. Dear old dad got not one, but two of his kids on the Pathfinder team.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

D1E posted:

Can someone please answer: do we get to sexxor Natalie Dormer alien yes/no?

Just like in real life, you will never have sex with Natalie Dormer.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Milky Moor posted:

This is crazy. Even ME1 had a better cast capable of better delivery than this, and ME1's VA was not great compared to ME2 and 3.

Claiming that it is "standard" and equal to other AAA titles is bizarre.

A couple hours into Horizon there's this scene, another game where the main character's father figure abruptly departs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1qYaA4MxjU

Compared to https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/842124856699281410

Yeah but you know, same old AAA production values, practically indistinguishable from one another.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Just like in real life, you will never have sex with Natalie Dormer.

Only pedophiles want to have sex with Natalie Dormer.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Awesome, I paid for Origin Access to try the game out, tried it for 5 minutes last night before my GF needed attention. Closed the game out. The process didn't close. Get on my PC just now and it's like "you have less than 10 minutes left to play, buy now!"

gently caress you EA

this is why most people who like video games do their best to be horrible people
that's my excuse anyway

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The facial animations themselves don't look too bad tbh, I mean, they're bad, but probably not significantly below any other game.
It's the :stare: eyes and the shiny skin that bothers me. It's pretty uncanny valley.

Still probably not enough to be a deal breaker to me as long as the combat is as good as it was in ME3.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Mymla posted:

The facial animations themselves don't look too bad tbh, I mean, they're bad, but probably not significantly below any other game.

What a terrible and wrong opinion to have.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Mymla posted:

Hi Hellen Keller. How have you been?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Good lord some of this thread wowza

After playing the SP origins thing I can say that if your bar (like mine) is: is this game an installment in the ME series? and/or is this a space RPG/Action game? you will enjoy it.

I guess on some level this is going to sound like apologist rhetoric but reading a lot of y'all's comments people would end up thinking this game is Atari ET level bad when it's basically ME1, which itself wasn't a masterpiece, and neither is this. It's not anymore remotely as bad as the Goon Hivemind Consensus(tm) is snowballing into

If you've got $60 bucks and like space videogames it's worth it. Like seriously what is everyone's problem with things being ~fine~? Does everything have to be GOTY tier incredible or what? I don't understand.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man, those faces look worse than ME2 even.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Awesome, I paid for Origin Access to try the game out, tried it for 5 minutes last night before my GF needed attention. Closed the game out. The process didn't close. Get on my PC just now and it's like "you have less than 10 minutes left to play, buy now!"

gently caress you EA

called customer support and they can't reset it or refund me lol

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Yeah, it is completely unreasonable to expect a game coming out a decade after ME1 to be actually better in terms technical/animation aspects.

???

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

People paying 5 bucks for a demo is kind of sad/funny in it's own way. But that trend was started by steam/early acess so can't even blame ea for that. Good for the rest of us, I guess. :D

Is there a plot summary writeup from the first 10 hours up anywhere? Or if not anyone willing to spoil?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Michaellaneous posted:

Yeah, it is completely unreasonable to expect a game coming out a decade after ME1 to be actually better in terms technical/animation aspects.

???

It's in 4k now, stop nit picking and assaulting this very solid new entry in a beloved franchise.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

If you've got $60 bucks and like space videogames it's worth it. Like seriously what is everyone's problem with things being ~fine~? Does everything have to be GOTY tier incredible or what? I don't understand.

It's a AAA massively hyped bioware game

goons are looking for any and every opportunity to pounce on it and unfortunately the game provided more than a few good reasons to do that

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Waffles Inc. posted:

Good lord some of this thread wowza

After playing the SP origins thing I can say that if your bar (like mine) is: is this game an installment in the ME series? and/or is this a space RPG/Action game? you will enjoy it.

I guess on some level this is going to sound like apologist rhetoric but reading a lot of y'all's comments people would end up thinking this game is Atari ET level bad when it's basically ME1, which itself wasn't a masterpiece

am i the only one who played ME1 when it was released

am i literally the only one

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm waiting for the 20 dollar version with all the game after playing for about 6 hours.

It's not horrible. But it doesn't feel like the changes they have made to the mass effect formula are actually an improvement.

Everything lacks impact. Gunplay hasn't improved over 3 and it was just serviceable in that. Biotic audio lost that dope bass noise. Animations are a train wreck.

MP is still fun if you liked it in 3.

It looks nice all maxed out though!

Thankfully there's about 3 other 40 plus hour amazing games to play right now!

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

A couple hours into Horizon there's this scene, another game where the main character's father figure abruptly departs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1qYaA4MxjU

Compared to https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/842124856699281410

Yeah but you know, same old AAA production values, practically indistinguishable from one another.

Seriously. Horizon and it's story and character development was so top notch, and the acting. It was the first game in a long time I became attached to a main character. When certain things happen later, which I will not spoil here, I actually felt the gut wrench for Aloy. I was actually emotionally attached to a character I was playing in a video game, and it was so loving fantastic. And memorable. THIS is how story based video games should be and continue to be. And it obviously doesn't stop there, the entire game's character building it just like this. Each with complete lovable personalities, or ones you downright despise. Horizon is a crown jewel of a game.

And then coming from that, to.... this thing? Same AAA production values as you stated, same tried and true methods... And, Jesus Christ what a downhill difference and direct 180 it takes.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 16, 2017

Serf
May 5, 2011

ME1 was really good until you played ME2. If there was a version of ME1 with the gameplay from 2 it would be rad as hell.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's a AAA massively hyped bioware game

goons are looking for any and every opportunity to pounce on it and unfortunately the game provided more than a few good reasons to do that

Despite everything I really would prefer it if games were good and if Andromeda looked decent I'd be posting about how awesome everything was and how I couldn't wait to play it. Unfortunately it does not and has the added benefit of being the easiest thing to make fun of since No Man's Sky.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Norns posted:

Thankfully there's about 3 other 40 plus our amazing games to play right now!

Yeah, good thing that games that have been released lately actually have exceptional quality and are very good!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

am i the only one who played ME1 when it was released

am i literally the only one

I played it about 2 years after it launched.
I thought it was good looking and well animated but the shooting was garbage.

Now I think it's good looking and well animated for its time but I think the shooting is alright now, I eventually got it.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

anime tupac posted:

haha I miss you Zelder. I miss those heady days before evil triumphed in like every possible sphere, all within the same short timeframe. I legitimately hope you are well.

Same to you my friend. I hope you've been well ever since the political world decided to plunge head first into the abyss. That thread was such a fun time, right up until the part where all our brains melted

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I played ME1 when it was released and it wasn't a masterpiece.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

I played ME1 when it was released and it wasn't a masterpiece.

Not every game can be ME3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Lol @ aaryn flynn saying he can sell five million 60 dollar copies of this.