Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is the year 2020. The place is the Hebrides Terrace Seamount - the top of an underwater mountain, a complex beneath the sea. Eighteen thousand, eight hundred and twenty four men, women and children live here, each of them a unionist pioneer. For this is our last frontier - a hostile environment which may hold the key to tomorrow. Each day, these social democrats meet new challenges as they build their city beneath the sea... This is Scotlab 2020.

e: 1990 - Alex Salmond wins the SNP leadership election, succeeding Gordon Wilson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

This is the year 2020. The place is the Hebrides Terrace Seamount - the top of an underwater mountain, a complex beneath the sea. Eighteen thousand, eight hundred and twenty four men, women and children live here, each of them a unionist pioneer. For this is our last frontier - a hostile environment which may hold the key to tomorrow. Each day, these social democrats meet new challenges as they build their city beneath the sea... This is Scotlab 2020.

Someone's been reading a little too much of the climate change thread.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Coohoolin posted:

Just a reminder that Scottish media is overwhelmingly pro Scotlab and anti SNP.

Regarde Aduck posted:

No one is pro Scotlab. Scotland was, for a short time, a one party state before unforgivably and megaironically you made the Tories your opposition. Scotlab were turned into a non entity via identity politics: the idea that if you're Scottish and leftist then you're also nationalist. I mean politically it was genius machiavellian stuff but it does mean you've let the Tories gain a foothold as the price for destroying Scottish Labour as a concept.

No one is pro Scotlab because they are poo poo.

Identity politics was one reason they got pushed back to being what they are but they were doing poo poo that made Corbyn somehow more in touch with voters. One example was Better Together which was such a fuckup despite the indyref going No. It did more damage towards Labour then the SNP could do if they tried. It didn't help that Labour lacks talent and failed to connect with many former labour voters. It became identity politics after the first indyref concluded. Many voters of labour switched to the SNP or Tories depending on their stance on Indy.

Imagine if Labour allied with the Tories to go against Plaid Cymru if that issue came to appear. Though I'm not as insightful into Welsh politics as you would be. I still imagine it would cause a stir that would damage labour's reputation which would be easy to exploit.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

It doesn't help that the policies they pulled out to try and differentiate themselves after the collapse were rubbish. Adding a penny to basic rate income tax is not a progressive way to combat austerity.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

So the Lib Dems have decided to steal a policy that worked so well for Scottish Labour, and are proposing a 1p rise in income tax.

That was a Lib Dem policy in the nineties.

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

Coohoolin posted:

Just a reminder that Scottish media is overwhelmingly pro Scotlab and anti SNP.

Well the media down here has pretty much one paper in the top 10 distribution that will occasionally print a positive Labour piece, so the shambles that is Scotlab (underneath the water) probably has even less favourable coverage by now, yes?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

TinTower, I enjoyed your appearance on Daily Pols with Rod Liddel.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Wow, I am super impressed at the timeliness of that reference. Must have been at least a decade since Little Britain was on.

LemonDrizzle posted:

and when they're wrong, they're really really wrong

c.f. "you can't beat scottish football for drama"

Chris Sutton is great, the only Englishman who gives our gave the proper due. It's poo poo but fun. Of course it's poo poo. There's no money in it, and what little there is is funneled towards 2 teams. Still make the best of a bad hand.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

forkboy84 posted:

Chris Sutton is great

There are a lot of bad opinions posted in this thread but I think this is the worst of the lot. I'm convinced the BBC only hire him on as comic relief.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Regarde Aduck posted:

No one is pro Scotlab. Scotland was, for a short time, a one party state before unforgivably and megaironically you made the Tories your government.

FTFY.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

HJB posted:

There are a lot of bad opinions posted in this thread but I think this is the worst of the lot. I'm convinced the BBC only hire him on as comic relief.

she kinda looks like that pepe frog in that pic

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
That Guardian long read about the protocol for what happens when the Queen dies was actually a pretty interesting read.

Tbh it's kind of fitting that Charles will inherit Brexit Britain.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

she kinda looks like that pepe frog in that pic
Know the difference: :eng101:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the absurdity of 'queen smiles' as a headline is only just sinking in, we don't know what she is looking at, she could be smiling at something totally different.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
She's been dead for 5 years and is operated by the same team that does the new Kermit and Keith Richards.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The Royal We I'm guessing

Also looks like someone managed to survey NHS workers without telling them what they're allowed to complain about

quote:

The NHS has been struggling to meet rising demand with a chronic shortage of staff and the results of a survey, published on Friday, suggest that a feeling of constant upheaval is at least partially to blame.

The poll by Wilmington Healthcare UK of more than 2,000 nurses, GPs and hospital doctors across the UK found that 64% blamed staff retention problems on the continuous and “demoralising” national changes in NHS workforce planning that had occurred since 2000.

quote:

Other key factors cited by respondents as adversely affecting the NHS’s ability to retain staff were low morale (92% of respondents) and poor pay and rewards (72%).

quote:

An NHS England spokeswoman said: “This poll is wide of the mark and at odds with our own thorough and robust staff survey which garnered 423,000 responses. It found 80% of frontline NHS staff say they are able to do their job to a standard they are personally pleased with, 90% of staff say their job makes a difference for patients, and 92% of staff feel trusted to do their jobs, which does not seem to suggest a low morale workforce.”

How can workers have low morale when they themselves provide morale?! Case closed!

JFairfax posted:

the absurdity of 'queen smiles' as a headline is only just sinking in, we don't know what she is looking at, she could be smiling at something totally different.

Queen smiles after* Hitler takes power

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 17, 2017

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
QT Chat: SNP lady was actually very eloquent and cool, journo guy was fairly reasonable for QT, eagle did nothing but whine and sound on the verge of tears, rees-mogg was entirely as expected and I just can't bring myself to hate him, tim loving martin was actually pretty quiet but managed to somehow spend quite a bit of the time he was speaking calling for the NHS to be dismantled so yeah.

Best bit was long haired scarf and john lennon glasses wearing parody cliche leftist young person in the audience invoking intersectionality theory to widespread groaning. Though I did slso enjoy young UKIP boy in suit (you can tell them from a mile off) going full ancap.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
"ERE WE'RE BETTER TOGEVVU INNIT SO WE SHOULD GET A VOTE IF WE KEEP THE FUCKIN JOCKS IN INNIT (with the implication that the UK should kick the Scots out)" - the audience summed up

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

tim loving martin was actually pretty quiet but managed to somehow spend quite a bit of the time he was speaking calling for the NHS to be dismantled so yeah.
Did he complain about the effects of the Brexit he campaigned for on his business?

What does he have against the NHS? Does he have shares in private health?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

jBrereton posted:

"ERE WE'RE BETTER TOGEVVU INNIT SO WE SHOULD GET A VOTE IF WE KEEP THE FUCKIN JOCKS IN INNIT (with the implication that the UK should kick the Scots out)" - the audience summed up

QT used to make me angry but now I just laugh. How is it actually possible for the public to be this consistently ignorant.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'd support a referendum on whether England should remain in the UK.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I almost never watch it because it just makes me livid lol

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

What does he have against the NHS? Does he have shares in private health?

Hates taxes. Hates them. Will not pay a penny more. Actually suggested moving to a French model which as far as I know is more expensive and actually better than the UK though so idk

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

ThomasPaine posted:

QT used to make me angry but now I just laugh. How is it actually possible for the public to be this consistently ignorant.

We just voted for economic suicide nothing surprises me any more

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I understand hating taxes, especially if you're a rich oval office, but wanting to pay more money for healthcare just so other people don't get it? It's like the mule story from Mississippi Burning.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I like watching Question Time because, while I don't often agree with the audience, it's good to hear alternative and fresh perspectives on issues. It helps me make sure I don't become complacent in my beliefs.

My fave bit was the woman haranguing Angela Eagle because of how poo poo Corbyn is.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

That's a feature, not a bug, of capitalist democracy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Osborne just got himself a new job as the editor of the evening standard

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jose posted:

:ughh:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

ThomasPaine posted:

[What does he have against the NHS? ] Hates taxes. Hates them. Will not pay a penny more. Actually suggested moving to a French model...
French healthcare is universal but has extensive private sector involvement, and is supplied via health insurance - it's not "free" in the way the NHS is.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Jose posted:

I follow far too many media types on twitter. My feed is now just a procession of journos tweeting the word "What"

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Jose posted:

Naturally Sadiq Khan came out with an incisive and witty..

https://twitter.com/SadiqKhan/status/842699604596576256

Oh.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
tbf George Osborne comes across pretty well on paper and will probably do a completely acceptable job of it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Clearly this is just another example of the left-wing media bias...

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

French healthcare is universal but has extensive private sector involvement, and is supplied via health insurance - it's not "free" in the way the NHS is.

Yes I know but I remember reading somewhere that it costs way more than the NHS as a percentage of GDP, and that it's super good quality on the whole. Seems a bit convoluted though. Private insurance by a few approved providers, heavily subsidised by the government, then you have to use the facilities provided by 'your' insurer. Don't see why you wouldn't just cut out the middleman. Might be mixing up a couple of european countries here mind.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

jBrereton posted:

tbf George Osborne comes across pretty well on paper and will probably do a completely acceptable job of it.

Sure, if objectivity literally doesn't rank anywhere in your priorities for the press.

I suppose politicians are so used to begging editors for headlines it makes sense to cut out the middle man.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ThomasPaine posted:

Yes I know but I remember reading somewhere that it costs way more than the NHS as a percentage of GDP, and that it's super good quality on the whole. Seems a bit convoluted though. Private insurance by a few approved providers, heavily subsidised by the government, then you have to use the facilities provided by 'your' insurer. Don't see why you wouldn't just cut out the middleman. Might be mixing up a couple of european countries here mind.

If you cut out the middleman then they would make less money

Any system other than state provided universal healthcare costs more per capita, purely because you now have companies and people in the system who demand to be paid a profit. Capitalism!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Also George Osbourne as chancellor orchestrated one of the biggest wealth transfers from the poor to the rich in British history, did absolutely nothing to fix the systemic problems with the British financial sector and has killed people as a direct result of his cuts. He is absolute scum.

• Locked thread