Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah, every in-game faction (playable or not) has at least one immortal leader that will keep returning. I first noticed it with that rear end in a top hat Emil Von Whatever from Marienburg who kept coming back despite repeated application of the Emperor's justice.

I played through a co-op game as vampire and one of the empire factions had their eternal unkillable ruler with the insane name of Van Von Volkvan. Well I actually don't know if he was their ruler but we decided he was, as he never seemed to stay permanently dead and his name was so ridiculous.

I've named a character after him in ever campaign since.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Beans posted:

Van Von Volkvan.

Owns.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So I'm about to pull the trigger on this. Are any of the DLC must-haves to get the best experience?

Sorry if this gets asked a lot, I checked the OP and a few pages back and didn't see anything.

Also if you guys have any "Things I wish I knew before I started playing" tips I'd be happy to hear them. I've played TW games before, but this is my first experience with non-40k Warhammer.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 17, 2017

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

None of the dlcs are must-haves. They just add new races. If you're interested in one of them buy them sure.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Away all Goats posted:

So I'm about to pull the trigger on this. Are any of the DLC must-haves to get the best experience?

Sorry if this gets asked a lot, I checked the OP and a few pages back and didn't see anything.

Nah just get the base game and play those factions unless you are a massive fan of the DLC ones and must strategy RP a dickhead elf or something. Save the DLC for later, it will stretch the longevity of the game. I think the only downside is that even without having the DLC it might change the map, which makes the game play out differently (for instance before the DLC dropped the Empire start was quite a different affair).

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

None of the dlcs are must-haves. They just add new races. If you're interested in one of them buy them sure.

well, the grim and the grave / warlords ones are pretty good if you wanna play empire/vamps or greenskin/dwarfs, respectively

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Tiler Kiwi posted:

well, the grim and the grave / warlords ones are pretty good if you wanna play empire/vamps or greenskin/dwarfs, respectively

According to an idiot friend of mine, they're "pay to win" so get those.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Try it out first, some of the dlc's add units to existing races which change how they play slightly but if you want to get an idea how the game is and if you'll even like it just play the base game first, it's pretty complete. Just make sure you get all the free dlc's, like brettonia is a completely free new faction (a lot of the others are just different lords for the existing ones)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mordja posted:

They're an effective "oh poo poo" button for sure, see a dude looming just spawn 10 stacks of high-level units to protect your town.

The RoR Luminark is the most egregious since it can cast that Net spell without having to rely on winds of magic. A good net will mulch a cavalry charge.

One time I had a line of handgunners in front of my melee line, and my melee all faced away. When the cavalry zoomed in for the "rear" charge against my handgunners, I netted them and tore them UP.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Mordja posted:

I know you know this, but just to reiterate - neither is required at all. They make life easier, but nothing in either pack is essential - even Nasty Skulkers.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Captain Beans posted:

I played through a co-op game as vampire and one of the empire factions had their eternal unkillable ruler with the insane name of Van Von Volkvan. Well I actually don't know if he was their ruler but we decided he was, as he never seemed to stay permanently dead and his name was so ridiculous.

I've named a character after him in ever campaign since.

If that name is randomly generated then Games Workshop will be pissed off they didn't think of it first.

I mean in 40K they have an Ork named after Margaret Thatcher.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Also if you guys have any "Things I wish I knew before I started playing" tips I'd be happy to hear them. I've played TW games before, but this is my first experience with non-40k Warhammer.

None of the DLCs are required but they are very good and currently on sale for the first time so just get whatever looks interesting to you. The only DLC I'd caution you about is Warriors of Chaos and even then they're not so bad they aren't worth six bucks so really just get whatever.

For starting out, Grim and the Grave and the King and the Warlord are both easy pickups because they add a lot of cool stuff to the core races you'll be playing anyway. And make sure you download all the free DLC packs, obviously.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

a sequence of life spells. stone to flesh to stone again

Flesh tanks? Sounds like the Empire is going full Nurgle with their tech. :black101:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Another update on team progress:

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/192834/what-the-teams-are-working-on-17-03-2017/p1?new=1

Most relevant to the thread:

quote:

NEW CONTENT TEAM – TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER DLC AND FREE-LC
Obviously the new content team have been very busy recently working on Both Isabella Von Carstein, as well as our even bigger Free-LC Bretonnia! Both of which are now available to download and enjoy here. Bretonnia in particular has been really popular and we’re very pleased by the passionate response.

While the majority of the dev team is busy working on DLC and free content plans for the sequel; given the success of our DLC so far, we are also looking at further possible content for the current game.

WARHAMMER TEAM – TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER TRILOGY
Excitement continues to build amongst the development team as the second part of the trilogy comes together, particularly as the distinctive races take shape and their playstyles solidify in campaign and battle. We’re equally excited at the prospect of sharing details about the game’s gigantic scale and content with our community and wider fanbase, as those plans come together in parallel.

As always, our social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) have all the latest Total War: WARHAMMER news when the time is right.

I would absolutely not say no to the prospect of more DLC for this game.

John Charity Spring fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 17, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I hope that the "main" Warhammer team collaborates with the New Content team, since a lot of the DLC has been generally more unique and experimental than the vanilla game, especially when it comes to Legendary Lords.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Saw it on Reddit, and it was actually a neat piece of lore that CA integrated very well into the game: Alberic d'Bordeleaux is best off babysitting either his home port or Marienburg thanks to his unique blue skill that increases port income by 150% when maxed out.

In Warhammer lore, one of Alberic's most prominent traits is the fact that he is getting on in years without being able to undertake the Grail quest, to his considerable chagrin as he pretty much is the best purely-mortal Bretonnian knight in existence. This is because for most of his rule, he has had to closely watch over his duchy, unable to trust anyone else with its stewardship due to either not meeting his standards or other circumstances.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

John Charity Spring posted:

Another update on team progress:

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/192834/what-the-teams-are-working-on-17-03-2017/p1?new=1

Most relevant to the thread:

I would absolutely not say no to the prospect of more DLC for this game.

The dream of Kislev limbeears on.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Saw it on Reddit, and it was actually a neat piece of lore that CA integrated very well into the game: Alberic d'Bordeleaux is best off babysitting either his home port or Marienburg thanks to his unique blue skill that increases port income by 150% when maxed out.

In Warhammer lore, one of Alberic's most prominent traits is the fact that he is getting on in years without being able to undertake the Grail quest, to his considerable chagrin as he pretty much is the best purely-mortal Bretonnian knight in existence. This is because for most of his rule, he has had to closely watch over his duchy, unable to trust anyone else with its stewardship due to either not meeting his standards or other circumstances.

He's a loving monster on the field too, so it checks out.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Nephthys posted:

I just started a Wurrzag campaign and suddenly everyone I run into is doing magic damage. No idea how Grimgor or random Orc Warbosses are getting it, I'm checking their stats after I confederated them and nothing seems to be doing it.

Is this a bug? Cuz every Lord I run into is wrecking my Savage Orcs. I don't think they have it as standard, they don't in the custom screen.

If you hand a character a magic weapon, the character will do magic damage in melee. :downs:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I'm still pretty new to the game, but is this roughly the optimal strategy?

1. Invest in econ/order structures.
2. Conquer and unify your immediate province.
2b. If easy and accessible, conquer and unify adjacent province.
3. Set province to growth.
4. Tech main settlement up for military.
5. Tech other settlements to garrisons (to the building where they get walls).
6. Doomstack and roll out.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
growth is better sooner than later, because you can accumulate a surplus of it even if you can't immediately afford to upgrade your settlement. Definitely unify your starting province early because provincial bonuses are essentially free and some are really good depending on race.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Empires +5% to trade is insane once you level up marienburg.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
All I'm reading from that CA update is "Game 2 is going to take longer than we thought so we're gonna come out with more DLC now."

Which is fine with me, the DLC has all been great, I just hate how we have no idea if Game 2 has an ETA of 6 months or 18 months and skaven skaven skaven skaven I want skaven.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

I want ratmen and ratwheels as well.

I wonder if they'll bring back the "control" in-faction mechanic but not make it weird and unintuitive

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

They could just make new factions like Von Carstein from existing/new LLs and I'd be set. I'm starting to think it'd be pretty cool if they spread the LLs out as much as possible and get as many interesting takes on the vanilla factions as possible.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

albany academy posted:

Empires +5% to trade is insane once you level up marienburg.

Is it 5% trade income, or 5% trade tariffs? Cause trade tariffs are useless, +5% is maybe 5 extra gold per trade partner, if that. Go into the economy window and check trades, then how much you get from trade tariffs, the goods you trade if you don't have anything special to trade.

Which makes the Bretonnia techs that increase trade tariffs pretty bad :(

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Cool thanks for feedback.

Also I know this is a super general question, but are top tier units worth it? I've generally heard that many good units > few great units. Until you get super late game and can have an entire stack of top tier units.

Also how do you supplement stacks? Like do I move stack B close to enemy, then actually attack enemy with stack A?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Dunno-Lars posted:

Is it 5% trade income, or 5% trade tariffs? Cause trade tariffs are useless, +5% is maybe 5 extra gold per trade partner, if that. Go into the economy window and check trades, then how much you get from trade tariffs, the goods you trade if you don't have anything special to trade.

Which makes the Bretonnia techs that increase trade tariffs pretty bad :(

Could've sworn it was the other one. I mean, a fully leveled marianburg is insane either way so i probably got it mixed up

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Cool thanks for feedback.

Also I know this is a super general question, but are top tier units worth it? I've generally heard that many good units > few great units. Until you get super late game and can have an entire stack of top tier units.

Also how do you supplement stacks? Like do I move stack B close to enemy, then actually attack enemy with stack A?

Yeah when you mouse over an enemy for attack there will be yellow / red arrows from any armies who would be reinforcements. If you're aiming to 2 on 1 an enemy army it's worth having some movement left over because they'll often retreat the first time, so it becomes move army B up close, attack with army A, move army B up to the enemies new position, attack with army A again

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ZearothK posted:

The dream of Kislev limbeears on.

I'd be down for another LL for each faction. Just to piss off the grogs make it, say, Repanse de Lysson for Brettonia, Valkia the Bloody for Chaos, Elspeth von Draken for Empire, and Drycha or the Sisters of Twilight for welves.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ah yes, names

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I only know one of them (Valkia) but between her and the self-explanatory term "sisters" I think the gimmick is that they are all female. I don't remember anyone being upset about Isabella or the Fey Enchantress though so idk what he's on about.

Valkia would be pretty cool. She's a humanoid winged demon (half-demon?) so that's dope. I basically don't know anything about her lore though other than what she is so I have no idea if she'd be appropriate as a legendary lord. But if "some french guy who sits in a castle and likes boats" can make the cut then I'm just gonna say yes.

I'm with her. :abuela:

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 17, 2017

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Cythereal posted:

I'd be down for another LL for each faction. Just to piss off the grogs make it, say, Repanse de Lysson for Brettonia, Valkia the Bloody for Chaos, Elspeth von Draken for Empire, and Drycha or the Sisters of Twilight for welves.

Grimgor is fine though. Because honestly, why wouldn't you pick Grimgor?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Chomp8645 posted:

I only know one of them (Valkia) but between her and the self-explanatory term "sisters" I think the gimmick is that they are all female. I don't remember anyone being upset about Isabella though so idk what he's on about.

Valkia would be pretty cool. She's a humanoid winged demon (half-demon?) so that's dope. I basically don't know anything about her lore though other than what she is so I have no idea if she'd be appropriate as a legendary lord. But if "some french guy who sits in a castle and likes boats" can make the cut then I'm just gonna say yes.

She's Khorne's wife and the choser of the slain. She's kind of a big deal.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

I only know one of them (Valkia) but between her and the self-explanatory term "sisters" I think the gimmick is that they are all female. I don't remember anyone being upset about Isabella though so idk what he's on about.

Valkia would be pretty cool. She a humanoid winged demon (half-demon?) so that's dope. I basically don't know anything about her lore though other than what she is so I have no idea if she'd be appropriate as a legendary lord. But if "some french guy who sits in a castle and likes boats" can make the cut then I'm just gonna say yes.

Repanse is fantasy Jeanne d'Arc. Elspeth von Draken is, iirc, a really good Death wizard and ruler of Nuln. No idea who the others are, I just remember those from a long time ago in this thread.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chomp8645 posted:

I only know one of them (Valkia) but between her and the self-explanatory term "sisters" I think the gimmick is that they are all female.

Yes, that was the joke. Repanse de Lysson is totally not Joan of Arc, we swear (she's Joan of Arc). Elspeth von Draken is an Imperial death wizard who rides a dragon. Valkia the Bloody is Khorne's beloved and more or less a valkyrie who flies around choosing the worthiest of Khorne's disciples for ascension.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I never knew Khorne had a tender side!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, Valkia's shield is the still-living, still-screaming face of a Keeper of Secrets who tried to rape her.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I got the beastmen DLC since it's on sale. No real idea of how I'm supposed to ambush. Every time I try the AI army just walks around me and ignores me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

They're all women.

• Locked thread