Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yeah, it doesn't really have much mechanical purpose, but it really adds to the immersion of the whole thing, I find.

Also I was very sad when I found out there were stickers that went over the creases, and very happy when the time came to apply one of those and I found that it was actually cut into two stickers in just the right place so that one would go on either side of the crease and line up perfectly on the board when it's laid out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Peas and Rice posted:

Is Gloomhaven that good? I'm almost convinced to back it just from the buzz here.

Yeah the core gameplay mechanic is really solid and forces a tough decision every turn.

Wrapped around it is a pretty decent campaign with a ton of content.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah, it doesn't really have much mechanical purpose, but it really adds to the immersion of the whole thing, I find.

Also I was very sad when I found out there were stickers that went over the creases, and very happy when the time came to apply one of those and I found that it was actually cut into two stickers in just the right place so that one would go on either side of the crease and line up perfectly on the board when it's laid out.
It's also super easy to take a boxcutter and gently slice the sticker right down the crease after you apply it to the board. It has the benefit of then folding the cut edge into the curve so it fits perfectly when collapsing.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

From its description it kind of seems like what I wanted the Pathfinder ACG to be: a boardgame version of an RPG where you keep your character and build them over time and have fun adventures with your gaming buddies but don't need a GM to plan poo poo out.

In a lot of ways, yeah. Except IMO the combat is a lot more interesting tactically than most RPGs end up being. I should note that it's not possible to keep the same character through the whole campaign, though. When you create a character they get a Personal Story quest card and when you fill the conditions on that card, you must retire that character. But you do get bonuses for doing so, and the Prosperity mechanic means you're generally not starting out at level one again. And if you really want you could just roll right back into the same class.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
You do have some choice in goals so you can just take slow goals if you want to.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

You do have some choice in goals so you can just take slow goals if you want to.

None of them are super fast, but I don't think it would be possible to avoid retiring at least once during the campaign.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

malkav11 posted:

None of them are super fast, but I don't think it would be possible to avoid retiring at least once during the campaign.

Some can be quite fast - while there's some goals that you'll never hit without making the effort (eg. Merchant Class only ends when you own a bunch of extraneous items, others have a "final quest" that you can just not do). In any case, I think it's better to not fight with the game's excellent pacing. Just pick the goal you like, and let the game wash over you. Having staggered retirements in your party means you get to try a lot of different permutations; between that and the varied monsters and items and objectives, the game keeps feeling fresh.

And the balance is great; we've only lost once, but we've had several last guy's last card wins.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

malkav11 posted:

I know one of them is to amass a large amount of gold, you could just keep spending before you hit the mark if you wanted to avoid it. Or if you really didn't want to retire you could always just not retire. It's your game! That said there is a lot of stuff based around the retirement mechanic you'd be missing out on.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Here's a cool looking one: Supplements for three games for $8
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madpierrot/all-in-1-a-parliament-of-supplements/description

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

jmzero posted:

Some can be quite fast - while there's some goals that you'll never hit without making the effort (eg. Merchant Class only ends when you own a bunch of extraneous items, others have a "final quest" that you can just not do). In any case, I think it's better to not fight with the game's excellent pacing. Just pick the goal you like, and let the game wash over you. Having staggered retirements in your party means you get to try a lot of different permutations; between that and the varied monsters and items and objectives, the game keeps feeling fresh.

And the balance is great; we've only lost once, but we've had several last guy's last card wins.

My wife and I started playing Gloomhaven, we're only running one character each and the first scenario is surprisingly brutal, unless we're overlooking a rule. We've cleared the first room once. She's running the shatterheart, I'm running the tinker. We had to switch to the variant "less variable damage" rule, just because we had a run that ended in... essentially two rounds (the elite guard critted her on the first turn, critted me on the second and the two regular guards basically finished us off the following round).

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Randalor posted:

My wife and I started playing Gloomhaven, we're only running one character each and the first scenario is surprisingly brutal, unless we're overlooking a rule. We've cleared the first room once. She's running the shatterheart, I'm running the tinker. We had to switch to the variant "less variable damage" rule, just because we had a run that ended in... essentially two rounds (the elite guard critted her on the first turn, critted me on the second and the two regular guards basically finished us off the following round).

Remember that you can choose to lose a card from hand (or two from your discard) to prevent taking damage from something - so you shouldn't ever be getting wiped out by damage in the first room (though if you lose enough cards this way you might be hopeless). Even if it won't kill you, it's often worth losing a card against a big crit, especially if you don't have a heal handy.

But yeah, it's definitely not an easy game - but we've all really liked it so far; don't give up. We're probably 20 hours in, and a couple of the players in my group are probably going to back the next KS, even though they're not sure who else they'd play with. I might back it, and just have an extra copy sitting around. Heaven knows it's displaced enough of my other gaming budget that it'd still be a good value.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Gloomhaven has turned out to be literally everything I want from it and I wholeheartedly regret not backing the first KS. So excited they're doing a separate KS for the reprint.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

jmzero posted:

Remember that you can choose to lose a card from hand (or two from your discard) to prevent taking damage from something - so you shouldn't ever be getting wiped out by damage in the first room (though if you lose enough cards this way you might be hopeless). Even if it won't kill you, it's often worth losing a card against a big crit, especially if you don't have a heal handy.

gently caress, I knew I was probably forgetting a rule. I'm the designated rules-reader, and Gloomhaven's rule book layout isn't the best for looking up specific rules.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
There was a game that kickstarted about a year ago that I hadn't funded that I'd like to check up on.

I would describe it as a version of Talisman as re-imagined by stoners. Or possibly a grittier version of Mertwigg's Maze.

The features that I most distinctly remember are that the board was a garish technicolor map, and there was a big blue cardboard warty hand prop that was 'the hand of the necromancer' and made locations really dangerous when it pointed there.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

DalaranJ posted:

There was a game that kickstarted about a year ago that I hadn't funded that I'd like to check up on.

I would describe it as a version of Talisman as re-imagined by stoners. Or possibly a grittier version of Mertwigg's Maze.

The features that I most distinctly remember are that the board was a garish technicolor map, and there was a big blue cardboard warty hand prop that was 'the hand of the necromancer' and made locations really dangerous when it pointed there.

Was it Dungeon Degenerates?

cyberia fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 19, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Speaking of projects with dumb plastic hands, whatever happened to the latest Monte Cook Presents project? That still chuggin' along?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Kai Tave posted:

Speaking of projects with dumb plastic hands, whatever happened to the latest Monte Cook Presents project? That still chuggin' along?

There was an update yesterday; looks like it's still chooglin' along.

(Yes, I backed it. Yes, I'm going to do it for F&F as soon as I get the goddamn thing, in penance.)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

It was. Thank you. I'm not surprised I couldn't find it, it seems it's in the development doldrums after they have anything interesting to post, but before they're nearing completion.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Baseball Highlights 2045: Spring Training is an introductory version of the highly acclaimed Baseball Highlights 2045 for $19. You're also able to pick up the full version plus all the expansions during this campaign.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

DalaranJ posted:

It was. Thank you. I'm not surprised I couldn't find it, it seems it's in the development doldrums after they have anything interesting to post, but before they're nearing completion.

The guys doing it are very friendly but they are hipster as all gently caress and are funding all of this on a "artists who run a cool shop" budget. I went to school with a bunch of people who rub shoulders with them and their commitment to that really scuzzy late 70's/early 80s street punk aesthetic is awesome but it's really not for everyone.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Antivehicular posted:

There was an update yesterday; looks like it's still chooglin' along.

(Yes, I backed it. Yes, I'm going to do it for F&F as soon as I get the goddamn thing, in penance.)

I dunno, are you sure we can trust you to understand a game as deep and immersive as Invisible Sun?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Nuns with Guns posted:

I dunno, are you sure we can trust you to understand a game as deep and immersive as Invisible Sun?

I can't guarantee that my F&F writeup isn't going to just be ten pictures of the resin hand and "ahahahaha what the gently caress," so no, perhaps not.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Baseball Highlights 2045: Spring Training is an introductory version of the highly acclaimed Baseball Highlights 2045 for $19. You're also able to pick up the full version plus all the expansions during this campaign.

There are also some new expansions for the original game

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

DalaranJ posted:

Their backerkit pledge manager is going to be open until May so you might be able to do some sort of late backing thing if you want to.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The March of the Ants people have a new game up called The Grimm Forest

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
Level 99's Exceed Season 2 is coming 'this week,' so in the next 3 days. I haven't been let down by a L99 release yet.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

palecur posted:

Level 99's Exceed Season 2 is coming 'this week,' so in the next 3 days. I haven't been let down by a L99 release yet.

I'll probably get all 16 characters assuming the shipping is sensible.

It's probably not going to be sensible though. :(

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Don't worry lemon-lime I'll be getting them no matter what :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Don't worry lemon-lime I'll be getting them no matter what :v:

But this one contains zero giant-titted Nazis.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
Sigil Powers of War kickstarter is live:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/392906378/sigil-powers-of-war

I am not affiliated with the design team, I just got a chance to play it a few weeks ago at a local event and instantly fell in love with it. It plays like it is the child of Heroscape/Arena of the Planeswalker and Summoner Wars.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
it looks interesting, too bad an indie team couldn't manage to have a non-white person on a single piece of art in the entire game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I just glanced at it, but it sorta seems like Mage Wars but with a bigger battlefield.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'll probably get all 16 characters assuming the shipping is sensible.

It's probably not going to be sensible though. :(

I'm very into this but I haven't tried exceed's system yet. maybe I need to make a.... purchase.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Impermanent posted:

it looks interesting, too bad an indie team couldn't manage to have a non-white person on a single piece of art in the entire game.

That's a pity.

Also, there seems to be KS Exclusive promos, which is a big downside for me, including a retailer-exclusive promo.

Side note: How close can you make a group of Orcs named "The Horde" before Blizzard starts eyeing you funny?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Lemon-Lime posted:

But this one contains zero giant-titted Nazis.
We all have to make sacrifices somewhere.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Impermanent posted:

I'm very into this but I haven't tried exceed's system yet. maybe I need to make a.... purchase.

I think the first kickstarter for Exceed has the print-and-play stuff linked, but they updated the site and moved stuff around so I'm not sure if it still valid. Good system, and works well along side Battlecon.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Exceed works better with people who aren't willing to go as deep as BattleCON requires after a certain point, I've found.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Exceed works better with people who aren't willing to go as deep as BattleCON requires after a certain point, I've found.

By deep you mean in terms of wallets I assume

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm kind of interested in Exceed, because I played BattleCON once a few years back and really enjoyed it but wasn't willing to invest in something so massive in terms of table/storage space or initial cost that I likely wouldn't be able to play that often anyway. Which is a shame because I really just wanted to play that character who teamed up with a dapper werewolf in a top hat.

I'm wondering how worth it grabbing just one box of Exceed as a "pick up and play" quick game might be, or how bad international shipping will wind up being. For just casual games every once in a while, would 4 characters likely be good enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Yeah, switching off between a limited set of characters would work fine. It's like any fighting game, having a billion choices seems good and it can be fun to try characters you never played, but nothing is as satisfying as learning one or two characters really well.

signalnoise posted:

By deep you mean in terms of wallets I assume

I'm pretty sure they means system, and not wallet (though there are an rear end load of expansions).

There is a lot of goofy stuff to remember once you get past the "button mashing" stage. Which bases are good against other bases, bluffing correctly with antes and bases, trying to clash out good combos without putting yourself in a bad position...
There is still some of that in Exceed, but the removal of antes and lack of clashes simplifies the rules. The random draws cut down on analysis paralysis of trying to outguess bases.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 23, 2017